Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"Mummy likes Sadiq Khan" is the most unsettling phrase since "Daddy loves Blue Velvet"

E: actually I think it was "Baby wants Blue Velvet"? Either way that movie is a trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
vaccines for younger people WHEN

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

bump_fn posted:

They grow up

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

bump_fn posted:

When the fully vaccinated Tory-voting boomers have booked all the cheap holidays

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Desiderata posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56955084

I can't really describe why this one has got to me. As I get older I find myself wanting to check myself for terrible regressive tendencies, not to become one of those "kids these days" types, sharing social media post about how people are definitely hiding carpet tacks in dog food in the park, and all the other odd things my otherwise wonderful and politically astute aunts and uncles have fallen into. I do hate that social media - shares video "someone was mean to a cat, so we should hang him" morality - the lazyness of feeling distantly superior to someone, everyone hunting the web for a sense of moral superiority. I do of course feel disgust at the cruelty, but I personally (you may feel different) do not think animals are more important than humans, and will always donate aid to the homeless before any donkey sanctuary. I usually worry about the person, and think "drat, what messed you up that badly".

But here, yeah, these rare creatures laid an egg the day before, people are watching excitedly on the webcam, the joy of nature and trying to amend to the species for the deaths we humans have caused - and some bastard thought : nope, can't have that, carefully conspired in the dead of night, and cut it down with a chainsaw. I genuinely wish for something horrible to happen to whoever did that - and for whatever reason my immediate thought was - "bet it was some 4chan prick doing it for online clout" - in reality it was probably just a cranky local landowner, but maybe my brain really is becoming poisoned by too many birthdays.

I need to go take a walk in the sunshine.

There is something deeply depressing about that incident.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Given how many fuckwits farmers voted for Brexit, I wouldn't be surprised if it's some local fuckwit farmer worried an osprey is going to fly off with one of his sheep

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Reaction to Kuennsberg's article excusing Johnson of all lying:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...xamples-267415/

Ospreys:

That is a sad incident. Round here, in our nice little market town, we're seeing all sorts of acts of random mindless vandalism lately (no reports of attacks on wildlife yet though) - just things dug up or broken.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 2, 2021

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I thought this might be of special interest to some of you here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

Given how many fuckwits farmers voted for Brexit, I wouldn't be surprised if it's some local fuckwit farmer worried an osprey is going to fly off with one of his sheep

No, it'll be anglers no doubt upset that they're not allowed to fish in that one particular place.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This article about beach huts in Walton-on-the-Naze might be one of the most stupid things I've ever read, and I actually read that Laura Kuenssberg article stanning for Boris ( lol, as if that narrows it down )

quote:

Vicky Gunn, 42, had a busy and stressful life as an accountant when she bought a beach hut in Walton-on-the-Naze in 2014.
She wanted to spend more time at the beach with her dog Millie, but also realised it could be a good business opportunity and started hiring it out.
Seven years on, she rents out eight huts, having left her job to focus on her business, Millie's Beach Huts.

Vicky owns two of the huts and manages the other six for different owners, sorting out the logistics, styling and marketing.
Demand is higher than ever due to the pandemic, she says, and dates - they are rented out by the day - are being snapped up as soon as she releases them.
"All of our huts sold out in record time this year and we're even busy mid-week at the moment, which is our off-peak time," she says.

[...]

The average beach hut in England is worth £40,000, which is a rise of 51% in the last two years, according to the property website Rightmove.
John Fenton, from the estate agents Sheens in Frinton-on-Sea, a resort next to Walton-on-the-Naze, has a waiting list of people wanting to buy one.
He recently sold two huts in the area for £60,000 within 24 hours, which he says is double the price from a year ago.

What the gently caress is wrong with this plagued island of fuckwits?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Desiderata posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56955084

But here, yeah, these rare creatures laid an egg the day before, people are watching excitedly on the webcam, the joy of nature and trying to amend to the species for the deaths we humans have caused - and some bastard thought : nope, can't have that, carefully conspired in the dead of night, and cut it down with a chainsaw. I genuinely wish for something horrible to happen to whoever did that - and for whatever reason my immediate thought was - "bet it was some 4chan prick doing it for online clout" - in reality it was probably just a cranky local landowner, but maybe my brain really is becoming poisoned by too many birthdays.

This happened relatively near to me. My bet would be on an irate fisherman. Some of them can get very aggressive when something else eats their fish, and are massively hostile to reintroduction projects. One of them heading out with a chainsaw to 'solve' the problem wouldn't be out of character for some, and would be quietly applauded by many more.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kingturnip posted:

This article about beach huts in Walton-on-the-Naze might be one of the most stupid things I've ever read, and I actually read that Laura Kuenssberg article stanning for Boris ( lol, as if that narrows it down )

What the gently caress is wrong with this plagued island of fuckwits?

Would you like to hear about the £330,000 beach huts at Mudeford Quay in Christchurch? Or the £100k ones at Sandbanks with a 12 year waiting list?

Beach huts are bonkers.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

bump_fn posted:

it's crazy to see basically noone I know my age (~20) have it besides key workers here yet all my American mates have had 2. Admittedly that's cause the US hoarded a lot but still idk if I'll be safe by the end of the year.
Wanted to head to the states around this time next year too but I feel there's no chance if my mum hasn't even had her 2nd and she's nearly 60.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Would you like to hear about the £330,000 beach huts at Mudeford Quay in Christchurch? Or the £100k ones at Sandbanks with a 12 year waiting list?

Beach huts are bonkers.

There are still some places with council-owned beach huts. The ones near where my Mum lives now in Gosport/Lee-on-Solent are all council ones.

I guess the 2024 Conservative government will liberate them with right to buy scheme, where they're sold to current renters for £4000 and immediately become worth £100,000 and only Persimmon will be allowed to build new Luxury Executive Beach Huts from then on...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Soylent Yellow posted:

This happened relatively near to me. My bet would be on an irate fisherman. Some of them can get very aggressive when something else eats their fish, and are massively hostile to reintroduction projects. One of them heading out with a chainsaw to 'solve' the problem wouldn't be out of character for some, and would be quietly applauded by many more.

That would make more sense than a farmer, I'd hope they know that osprey are very unlikely to attack a sheep. I'm surprised the location of the nest was made public though, often they're kept quiet to avoid both this and egg theft.

serious gaylord posted:

Beach huts are bonkers.
We're talking about the little sheds where you can keep a couple folding chairs and I guess get changed if you're shy in the two weeks a year the weather is good enough to go to the beach?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 2, 2021

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i’ve debated going home to see my fully vaccinated family in the states to get vaccinated

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

big scary monsters posted:

That would make more sense than a farmer, I'd hope they know that osprey are very unlikely to attack a sheep. I'm surprised the location of the nest was made public though, often they're kept quiet to avoid both this and egg theft.

We're talking about the little sheds where you can keep a couple folding chairs and I guess get changed if you're shy in the two weeks a year the weather is good enough to go to the beach?

Yep. Basic cold water and a plug in the ones down here for a kettle. Cant stay overnight in them.

330k.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Did we run out of empty luxury flats in London to hide money in or something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
20 floor luxury beach sheds.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

PNGYAKUZA posted:

it's crazy to see basically noone I know my age (~20) have it besides key workers here yet all my American mates have had 2. Admittedly that's cause the US hoarded a lot but still idk if I'll be safe by the end of the year.
Wanted to head to the states around this time next year too but I feel there's no chance if my mum hasn't even had her 2nd and she's nearly 60.

No, it's because most US states basically declared a free for all once vulnerable populations were done and your mates either got lucky or spent hours hunting down available slots. We've chosen a slightly slower opening up but are still on schedule to have offered everyone in the country a first dose by July.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

PNGYAKUZA posted:

We've vaccinated the same percentage of people roughly, the only difference is that the US hasnt prioritised the high risk groups to the same extent. In theory our route should lead to less deaths

minema
May 31, 2011
Is the goon who had a camera set up on their bird feeder still around? I want to set something similar up for my parents and I was wondering if they'd ever detailed their setup!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

xtothez posted:

When the fully vaccinated Tory-voting boomers have booked all the cheap holidays

This has already happened.

My first shot is in two weeks, suck it youngsters :smuggo:

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Is there a consensus on what would constitute a good vs bad result for Labour in the local elections? And if there is a bad result, is Starmer at all vulnerable to a leadership challenge?

Were a leadership challenge to take place, I think he’d have a way harder time seeing off a challenger than Corbyn had with Smith, but I have no sense of whether the PLP would actually trigger such a contest with sufficiently bad results in the local elections.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

minema posted:

Is the goon who had a camera set up on their bird feeder still around? I want to set something similar up for my parents and I was wondering if they'd ever detailed their setup!

I'm not that goon, but I set up a bird feeder cam using an Raspberry Pi Zero W, a 10,000mah USB battery (runs the setup for about 15 hours between charges) and a USB Webcam, running MotionEye OS.

It was basically a case of flashing a micro SD card, putting my wifi details in the config and then connecting to it in a webbrowser from my phone to turn on the motion detection and view the images.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Halisnacks posted:

Is there a consensus on what would constitute a good vs bad result for Labour in the local elections? And if there is a bad result, is Starmer at all vulnerable to a leadership challenge?

Were a leadership challenge to take place, I think he’d have a way harder time seeing off a challenger than Corbyn had with Smith, but I have no sense of whether the PLP would actually trigger such a contest with sufficiently bad results in the local elections.

I'd be surprised. The mega excuses:

(1) Corbyn wrecked labour because of his anti-semitic, racist, terrorist loving, free broadband (despite the party now being far more anti-semitic having booted out leftwing Jewish members, kow-towing to BoD, far more racist having refused to take to task those proven in the leaked report to be racist bullies and all on the right of the party, terrorist loving Starmer - just because murder is committed by people in a state uniform doesn't mean they're not terrorists, free broadband - doesn't seem so daft now does it after over a year of WFH / school from home, many organisations moving to a more permanent use of online conferencing etc instead of carbon-burning flights etc, and lockdowns.

(2) Johnson and the vaccine bounce - maybe a bit

(3) Corbynistas refuse to back Starmer and insist on either voting for other parties or not voting, and it's all their fault despite the other lot refusing to back Corbyn for 5 years. <IMHO> If the Labour party is to become a party worth voting for in the next general election, it needs to be torn down now and forced to face up to the error of its ways to give it 2-3 years to rebuild </IMHO>

(3) It's too cold to vote

(4) It's too hot to vote

(5) Pluto turned retrograde on April 28th - lasting until October:

The long-term, lasting change in the starry sky is now the beginning of Pluto's retrograde, starting on April 28th, 2021 and which lasts until October 7th, 2021. Pluto represents power, abuse of power and profound transformations that we have to go through.

(6) Laura Kuennsberg loves Boris

Every BBC political article ever

are already well and underway.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

Weasling Weasel posted:

We've vaccinated the same percentage of people roughly, the only difference is that the US hasnt prioritised the high risk groups to the same extent. In theory our route should lead to less deaths

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, it's because most US states basically declared a free for all once vulnerable populations were done and your mates either got lucky or spent hours hunting down available slots. We've chosen a slightly slower opening up but are still on schedule to have offered everyone in the country a first dose by July.

ah sound, definetly going faster than a lot of places but how's the 2nd doses going? I know my mum still has only had her 1st despite being a keyworker.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

PNGYAKUZA posted:

ah sound, definetly going faster than a lot of places but how's the 2nd doses going? I know my mum still has only had her 1st despite being a keyworker.

I've only had my first (61, Wales) in a mass-vaccination centre. My second is due early June I think. - Astra Zeneca
My sister (<60, Wales) had her first at a GP and was given a date for her second immediately (late May I think) - she has health issues. - Astra Zeneca
My niece (29, Wales) has had two now I think (she has lots of health issues). - Pfizer I think
Mum (83, England) has now had both. Pfizer

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Everyone else at my work (healthcare) has had their second jab already. Mine is on June 5th. My mum (shielded, mid-60s) had her second jab yesterday. Anecdotally everyone had fewer side-effects on the second jab. Most of us were AZ, I think one chickie at work was Pfizer - she had no side-effects at all despite being young.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

PNGYAKUZA posted:

The US is giving out 2nd shots according to the vaccination instructions - 2-4 weeks after the first jab depending on manufacturer. The UK has decided to do 12 weeks between jabs which is why the US will have a lot more 2nd jabs done before us.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Had my first on Wednesday, the NHS website makes you book 1st and 2nd at the same time, so mid July I get that. My Mum's 67 and gets her second on Wednesday, think my dads had both already. neither of them are in risk categories.
Will give them that, was an absolute Pro set up at the Crick Centre by St Pancras, was in & out in ~20mins.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

Miftan posted:

The US is giving out 2nd shots according to the vaccination instructions - 2-4 weeks after the first jab depending on manufacturer. The UK has decided to do 12 weeks between jabs which is why the US will have a lot more 2nd jabs done before us.

yeah that's one of the things kinda worrying me lol will that effect the effectiveness. Hopefully the first one should be sound like I think after a full year of social isolation might be starting to take a toll on my mental health lol.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've only had my first (61, Wales) in a mass-vaccination centre. My second is due early June I think. - Astra Zeneca
My sister (<60, Wales) had her first at a GP and was given a date for her second immediately (late May I think) - she has health issues. - Astra Zeneca
My niece (29, Wales) has had two now I think (she has lots of health issues). - Pfizer I think
Mum (83, England) has now had both. Pfizer

drat hope ur 2nd one goes well. I know one or 2 ppl in their early 30s/late 20s with both but they all work for the NHS or have severe health issues. And one of my mates who works at Specsavers got hers both done privately by the company.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So wait... Beach huts have no heating, no insulation, no hot water, can't be slept in legally. Do they have toilets?

So if you rent one out... You still need to rent a hotel?

And they're worth more than my house in some places...

Why???????

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mebh posted:

So wait... Beach huts have no heating, no insulation, no hot water, can't be slept in legally. Do they have toilets?

So if you rent one out... You still need to rent a hotel?

And they're worth more than my house in some places...

Why???????

Hey, Brits are already known for travelling to other countries not so they can see that country, but so they can go to a hotel full of other Brits and eat a fry up with a Carling.

Maybe they go to the beach so they can get into their hut away from that horrible sand and water?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
more like beach nuts

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty much everyone I know has been vaccinated, and a good chunk of them managed to jump the queue. Meanwhile one of my 50 year old friends can't book on, because he had been removed from his GP's list because he hadn't been in a decade. He's tried to re-register at a different practice, but either they're inept or the pandemic is slowing down new patient registrations, because he can't get his details on the system.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PNGYAKUZA posted:

She should have been given her date for her second jab (10-12 weeks after the first) at the time she did her first one (if not, have her ring 119 to sort it out - unfortunately there's no way of booking second doses through the website, it has to be on the phone). That's the other thing that's confusing the figures a lot - the UK prioritised getting first jabs into as many arms as possible as fast as possible for both good reasons (getting 60% immunity to 10 million people is more effective than getting 90% to 5 million, first jabs are easier to deal with logistically so you ramp them up as fast as possible and give yourself time to set up the second jabs) and bad (doing it this way lets you spend 3 months waving the flag about how much quicker the UK's rollout was going than everyone elses).

By the purest coincidence, because there's absolutely no way at all they could have known this was the case when they were setting this up, it turns out not only does the much longer interval between doses not hurt the immunity granted by the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) it actually increases the efficacy of the AZ vaccine that the UK had bet the farm on and that the majority of the UK will be getting.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'd be surprised. The mega excuses:

(1) Corbyn wrecked labour because of his anti-semitic, racist, terrorist loving, free broadband (despite the party now being far more anti-semitic having booted out leftwing Jewish members, kow-towing to BoD, far more racist having refused to take to task those proven in the leaked report to be racist bullies and all on the right of the party, terrorist loving Starmer - just because murder is committed by people in a state uniform doesn't mean they're not terrorists, free broadband - doesn't seem so daft now does it after over a year of WFH / school from home, many organisations moving to a more permanent use of online conferencing etc instead of carbon-burning flights etc, and lockdowns.

(2) Johnson and the vaccine bounce - maybe a bit

(3) Corbynistas refuse to back Starmer and insist on either voting for other parties or not voting, and it's all their fault despite the other lot refusing to back Corbyn for 5 years. <IMHO> If the Labour party is to become a party worth voting for in the next general election, it needs to be torn down now and forced to face up to the error of its ways to give it 2-3 years to rebuild </IMHO>

(3) It's too cold to vote

(4) It's too hot to vote

(5) Pluto turned retrograde on April 28th - lasting until October:

The long-term, lasting change in the starry sky is now the beginning of Pluto's retrograde, starting on April 28th, 2021 and which lasts until October 7th, 2021. Pluto represents power, abuse of power and profound transformations that we have to go through.

(6) Laura Kuennsberg loves Boris

Every BBC political article ever

are already well and underway.

So one of those situations where Starmer won’t be held accountable if the Party does terribly, but will be given all the accolades if they somehow outperform expectations. Cool.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I got my first AZ jab on the 1st March, so my second is due in 2 weeks or so but I've yet to hear anything about it. When should I be calling about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I got my first AZ jab on the 1st March, so my second is due in 2 weeks or so but I've yet to hear anything about it. When should I be calling about it?

Where was it done? If through your GP, contact them, otherwise they should have booked you in for the second one at the same time as the first, so call 119 and speak to them about booking it.