Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm not sure, I was just given a letter telling me my appointment. I was told when I got it that I'd hear when my next shot was, but so far nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Where was it done? If through your GP, contact them, otherwise they should have booked you in for the second one at the same time as the first, so call 119 and speak to them about booking it.

This isn't the case in Wales. GP jabs seem to have given the date for the second at the time you get the first, but mass vacc centres just gave an indication, not a set date.
The phoning up / online booking is England only.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm not sure, I was just given a letter telling me my appointment. I was told when I got it that I'd hear when my next shot was, but so far nothing.

Are you in England or Wales or Scotland?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh, I should have mentioned, Scotland.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Mebh posted:

So wait... Beach huts have no heating, no insulation, no hot water, can't be slept in legally. Do they have toilets?

So if you rent one out... You still need to rent a hotel?

And they're worth more than my house in some places...

Why???????

Holy poo poo;

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/54856068#/

I mean with this one you can at least stay overnight and I assume there is camp toilets, but STILL.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

SpicePro posted:

Holy poo poo;

I mean with this one you can at least stay overnight and I assume there is camp toilets, but STILL.

You could buy a literal mansion in some pretty decent bits of the country with that kind of money.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This isn't the case in Wales. GP jabs seem to have given the date for the second at the time you get the first, but mass vacc centres just gave an indication, not a set date.
The phoning up / online booking is England only.
I think it varies by region. I got my first jab (Wales, 30s, healthy) this week, they did give me a fixed date & time. No letter or anything, just got an unexpected text saying I had an appointment in like 3 days. Apparently I'll get another one when it's time for the second. Same for non-vulnerable people I know locally, but vulnerable people got the GP appointments & people out of town got letters.

It made me very sick yesterday & I'm still knackered.
(e: Pfizer)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

I think it varies by region. I got my first jab (Wales, 30s, healthy) this week, they did give me a fixed date & time. No letter or anything, just got an unexpected text saying I had an appointment in like 3 days. Apparently I'll get another one when it's time for the second. Same for non-vulnerable people I know locally, but vulnerable people got the GP appointments & people out of town got letters.

It made me very sick yesterday & I'm still knackered.
(e: Pfizer)

That's what I meant.

I got an appointment (at quite short notice - a few days - but it was by letter not text) for the first, but haven't had a date for the second, just a general indication that it would be 'about' 12 weeks from the first.
Those who went to GP (vulnerables) instead of mass vax centre (invulnerables ;) ) got given the second appointment when they went for the first.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

So wait... Beach huts have no heating, no insulation, no hot water, can't be slept in legally. Do they have toilets?

So if you rent one out... You still need to rent a hotel?

And they're worth more than my house in some places...

Why???????

The point in them is that they're just a garden shed on the beach where you can store your deckchairs/buckets/spades/surf boards/fishing rods/other beach gear, somewhere private and sheltered to get changed, something to get out of the weather (wind, rain, sun) and to house a camping stove or a small barbecue for picnics.

They're supposed to be something you spend the day in, and you have an actual house somewhere nearby. Whether that house is your actual home, a holiday home or a place you've rented for a period that comes with access to a hut as part of the package.

They're a glorified gazebo or a permanent version of those pop-up tents people take to the beach, but for people who spend enough time on or near the beach for a hut to be worthwhile. They're not supposed to be lived in and most have byelaws or terms to use attached to them that prohibit staying overnight.

That they're worth six-figure sums is just 'Because British Property Market'.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

What i see is that consistently 60% of the country don't think he's good.

It's just that the UKs voting system is broken as is the news for never reporting on that.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.ft.com/content/fe5eb32a-aefc-46e4-836f-b0f2a7c2ef85

quote:

Boris Johnson has approved a new legislative programme of more than 25 bills that will implement planning reform and a new state aid regime, as he seeks to flesh out his post-pandemic economic recovery plan.

The prime minister wants the programme, to be outlined in the Queen’s Speech on May 11, to deliver the meat of the Conservative party’s 2019 election manifesto and signal the start of a return to “normality” after Covid-19, according to people briefed on the plans.

The Queen is expected to confirm in her speech — to be delivered by the monarch in person in a Covid-secure ceremony at Westminster — Johnson’s ambition to reform the cash-starved social care sector.

But there is still no sign of details of the prime minister’s “clear plan” to tackle the issue that has dogged successive governments. “I’d be surprised if the Queen’s Speech contains anything concrete,” said one person briefed on the legislative programme.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak, whose March Budget included plans to raise Britain’s tax burden to the highest level since the 1960s to help pay for the coronavirus crisis, is reluctant to commit to yet more public spending when he is still trying to control government borrowing.

Jacob Rees-Mogg, leader of the House of Commons, wants the package of 25 to 30 bills in the Queen’s Speech to deliver key sections of the Tory manifesto, said people familiar with the plans.

Among the measures will be legislation intended to boost economic growth and narrow regional inequalities — Johnson’s “levelling up” agenda — including a planning bill to clear obstacles to housebuilding and broader development.

Under the bill, all councils in England will have to designate land either for development or preservation, as the government aims to hit a national target of building more than 300,000 homes a year.

A post-Brexit state aid regime is meant to enable the government to be more “nimble” in supporting jobs.

The business department has just completed a public consultation seeking views on how the arrangements can allow the government to make strategic interventions in industry.

There will also be bills to create a series of freeports: low-tax zones featuring simplified planning rules that ministers have said will serve as hubs for high-value manufacturing and innovation. Sceptics have cited research suggesting they tend to shift jobs and investment around the country, rather than generate new business.

Business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng will meanwhile sponsor a bill to establish a “high risk, high reward” scientific research agency that was the brainchild of Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s former chief adviser.

A procurement bill will give small and medium-sized companies greater opportunities to secure government contracts, and allow the public sector to buy British when the deals are not subject to international trade rules.

A health and care bill will carry out NHS reforms to strengthen the health service after the pandemic.

The bill will reverse key aspects of a contentious 2012 shake-up of the NHS which handed greater operational independence to the health service and sharply increased the role of competition.

An environment bill, carried over from the previous parliamentary session, will include creation of a new environmental watchdog for England and fresh commitments on biodiversity.

Other measures are expected to liberalise rules on gene editing in agriculture, a cause long promoted by Johnson as one of the supposed benefits of Brexit.

Home secretary Priti Patel has secured a slot in the Queen’s Speech for her strategy on tackling violence against women and girls, which will focus on improving the low and declining conviction rates for some sexual offences, especially rape.

An animal welfare bill, championed by Johnson’s partner Carrie Symonds, will also be included in the speech.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Am I missing something or are most of those things actually good?

Like obviously they'll be implemented in such a way as to rob most of the real benefit & convert it into more cash in the pockets of Tory doners, but, uh, this looks a lot better than anything Starmer's offering

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

quote:

A post-Brexit state aid regime is meant to enable the government to be more “nimble” in supporting jobs

A procurement bill will give small and medium-sized companies greater opportunities to secure government contracts

These ones scream "lets funnel money to our mates"

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Borrovan posted:

Like obviously they'll be implemented in such a way as to rob most of the real benefit & convert it into more cash in the pockets of Tory doners, but, uh, this looks a lot better than anything Starmer's offering

I guess we'll have to see - building more homes sounds good, but doing it just by loosening planning rules is no guarantee that it'll actually work. You can have a lot of lofty intentions but we'll have to see what these things actually do in practice.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I hate Lawrence Fox with a passion and this really made me laugh with delight

https://twitter.com/lisa_db/status/1388578295776690176?s=21

I believe it’s from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/30/laurence-fox-war-woke-success-getting-end-not-losing-mind/ but can’t confirm because it’s behind a paywall.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

G1mby posted:

I guess we'll have to see - building more homes sounds good, but doing it just by loosening planning rules is no guarantee that it'll actually work. You can have a lot of lofty intentions but we'll have to see what these things actually do in practice.

Any time a politician suggests planning reform as a way of increasing the amount of houses built they should have their home(s) taken off them and be forced to live in one of those roman candle cladding blocks.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

G1mby posted:

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

These ones scream "lets funnel money to our mates"
Yeah obviously even the best sounding things will be implemented by the Tories and therefore any real benefits will be incidental to the primary goal of funnelling money to the rich, but, like, that still sounds better than "we'll do austerity or something to show how responsible we are and also more flags", which seems to be Labour's offer. Obviously all the ideological racism & fascism in the Tory party isn't worth any possible pay-off, but on-paper it looks like Starmer is genuinely getting outflanked from the left by an actual fascist.

Reversing the Health & Social Care Act is legit good though, I'll be interested to see what the monkey's paw does to that one

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Euro Super League was cancelled so everything has neatly been swept under the ru-- hang on

https://twitter.com/BBCRMsport/status/1388849169260032012

oh noooooooo my consent manufactured plebs are revolting!!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

Like obviously they'll be implemented in such a way as to rob most of the real benefit & convert it into more cash in the pockets of Tory doners

This is the insidious thing about this sort of populist/kinda-One Nation Toryism. When summarised in this sort of way it looks very good. Especially in comparison to virtually any other government legislative programme over the past 30-ish years and especially especially when compared to the past 10 years. When laid out in headline snippety form it seems progressive, even left-wing in ways.

But the implementation and the ends are going to be lovely.

More homes = good. More homes by letting developers rip through the green belt after they influence/lobby/bribe the local council to declare all the greenfield as development land = Bad.

Framework for nimble state aid to firms = good. Legalised £billions bungs to big businesses owned by Tory donors so they can fail upwards = Bad.

Encouraging manufacturing jobs in areas where these are badly lacking = good. Doing so with free ports so multinationals can operate without paying tax = Bad.

Letting small businesses bid for parts of large government contracts and a 'buy British' clause = good. An additional way to syphon public money to your mates in the Rotary club = Bad.

Centralising the running of the NHS and rolling back the internal market system = good. Putting all the main functions of the NHS under the control of the DoH&SC so it can be more easily privatised = Bad.

Animal welfare bill = Good. Animal welfare bill that goes after Halal etc. slaughter in a prominent and lovely way to get some praise from the tabloids = Bad (I'm just guessing on this one).

Borrovan posted:

this looks a lot better than anything Starmer's offering

Yes, this is better than literally nothing.

It's one of the most frustrating aspects of British politics at the moment - there is a huge appetite for progressively-flavoured economic and spending policies and neoliberalism has left the country and society so hollow that the notion of a government doing the tiniest thing aimed at making life better - even for duplicitous and shady reasons - is welcomed and praised to the rafters. So long as it comes from the Tories of course, because when they do it it's Backing Global Britain and Levelling Up but when Labour do did that it was all Marxists Nonsense From People Who Hates Aspiration And Enterprise.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Goldskull posted:

Will give them that, was an absolute Pro set up at the Crick Centre by St Pancras, was in & out in ~20mins.
I'm amazed how poo poo the facilities are around here, apparently there's nowhere available in Oxfordshire so I'm going to have to go all the way over to Reading to get mine.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Borrovan posted:

Yeah obviously even the best sounding things will be implemented by the Tories and therefore any real benefits will be incidental to the primary goal of funnelling money to the rich, but, like, that still sounds better than "we'll do austerity or something to show how responsible we are and also more flags", which seems to be Labour's offer. Obviously all the ideological racism & fascism in the Tory party isn't worth any possible pay-off, but on-paper it looks like Starmer is genuinely getting outflanked from the left by an actual fascist.

Reversing the Health & Social Care Act is legit good though, I'll be interested to see what the monkey's paw does to that one

Yeah, on track record so far I'm not holding out much hope for all of this, particularly with the earlier mention of the Exchequer wanting to clamp down on spending.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Rishi is much more of a damaging influence to the country than Boris at the moment - Rishi is another Austerity cultist in the vein of Osborne, who will continually try and kneecap any Good Ideas that Boris has because he wants to be a Big Man in the name of saving money to give more tax cuts out. Boris in his bombasticism is much easier to influence into Getting Something Done, because he wants to be a Big Man.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SpicePro posted:

Holy poo poo;

guys i think this country has some problems

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/beckettunite/status/1388828917969084416?s=21

Well then.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Jacob Rees-Mogg, leader of the House of Commons, wants the package of 25 to 30 bills in the Queen’s Speech to deliver key sections of the Tory manifesto."

There go the workers rights.

"Including a planning bill to clear obstacles to housebuilding and broader development."

More lovely new builds everywhere that are somehow even worse quality than they are now, and an admission that the housing market is basically the one industry we have left.

"Under the bill, all councils in England will have to designate land either for development or preservation."

Developers will now be able to pressurise ailing councils to sell off public land. The home counties will of course designate everything for preservation while northern councils are going to have to sell off any green land they still have.

"The business department has just completed a public consultation seeking views on how the arrangements can allow the government to make strategic interventions in industry."

Again, this'll be the absolute ramping up of things like fire & rehire and zero hours contracts for anyone doing the actual labour if they threaten companies bottom line at all.

"There will also be bills to create a series of freeports: low-tax zones featuring simplified planning rules that ministers have said will serve as hubs for high-value manufacturing and innovation. Sceptics have cited research suggesting they tend to shift jobs and investment around the country, rather than generate new business."

I'm more concerned that they tend to attract massive amounts of organised crime.

"Business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng will meanwhile sponsor a bill to establish a “high risk, high reward” scientific research agency that was the brainchild of Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s former chief adviser."

JOIN ME MR BOND IN THE INNOVATION ZONE

No really, we are probably going to render large chunks of the country uninhabitable because Cummings heard Chernobyl is now cool.

"A procurement bill will give small and medium-sized companies greater opportunities to secure government contracts, and allow the public sector to buy British when the deals are not subject to international trade rules."

Well if there's one thing the pandemic has proved, it's that only good things can happen when the government are allowed to hand out contracts with zero oversight.

"The bill will reverse key aspects of a contentious 2012 shake-up of the NHS which handed greater operational independence to the health service and sharply increased the role of competition."

This is the only one that seems good? If they're reversing the role of competition that's good. It depends what they're moving the greater independence away from though.

"An environment bill, carried over from the previous parliamentary session, will include creation of a new environmental watchdog for England and fresh commitments on biodiversity."

I fully expect it to be a trump style department for companies to bribe so they can do whatever the gently caress they like, filled with climate deniers. Also carried over from the last session means 'we couldn't get it through before but now we have a majority we're forcing it through.'

"Other measures are expected to liberalise rules on gene editing in agriculture, a cause long promoted by Johnson as one of the supposed benefits of Brexit."
Tough on bees, tough on the causes of bees.

"Home secretary Priti Patel has secured a slot in the Queen’s Speech for her strategy on tackling violence against women and girls, which will focus on improving the low and declining conviction rates for some sexual offences, especially rape."

I cannot wait to see what draconian insanity they try to hide behind this, safe in the knowledge that anyone trying to criticise it is going to get brigaded by mumset.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^yeah the implementation of each & every policy on there will be utter dogshit but I'm just looking at that list having a :wtc: moment that on paper the Tories are genuinely looking more economically left wing than Labour rn

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Rishi is much more of a damaging influence to the country than Boris at the moment
Economically, yeah, but imo the biggest danger to the country right now is the absolute trampling over civil liberties & all the ideological racism in the cabinet. Boris could be promising communal ownership of the means of production & I'd still be looking at him & Priti Patel & thinking "yeah I'm good thx"

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 2, 2021

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

guys i think this country has some problems

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/01/exclusive-britannia-rule-waves-new-royal-yacht-named-prince/

https://news.sky.com/story/new-royal-yacht-named-after-prince-philip-to-be-commissioned-within-weeks-costing-as-much-as-200m-12292880

Sky News posted:

The Daily Telegraph reports that the new yacht will be announced by Prime Minister Boris Johnson "within weeks".

The cost of building the vessel could be as much as £200m, with MPs calling for the ship to be built in the UK.

Downing Street has not denied the reports, with a spokesperson saying: "The prime minister has an exciting vision for shipbuilding in this country and is committed to making the UK a shipbuilding superpower.

"We are always looking for new ways to promote global Britain around the world, driving investment back to the UK and delivering value for money for the British people."

gently caress me.

As I've said before, I don't have a massive problem with this sort of thing in principle, but this really should end once and for all any narratives about magic money trees or national credit cards. It's not a case of spending 'a sum' of money on a royal yacht instead of school meals or...any number of infinitely more worthy causes, but it shows a) how actually the government can spend however much money it wants on whatever it drat chooses and therefore b)how utterly ideological these sorts of decisions are.

I expect Labour to either propose a bigger, more expensive yacht with eight masts, each carrying a 15x30m Union Jack or condemn the whole thing out of principle and criticise the wallpaper being used and so be accused of being joyless miseries who are just Doing Britain Down and don't want to bring jobs to the Wirral. Either way alienates yet more of one side of the electorate and means they get no political capital out of it all.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"Jacob Rees-Mogg, leader of the House of Commons, wants the package of 25 to 30 bills in the Queen’s Speech to deliver key sections of the Tory manifesto."

"Including a planning bill to clear obstacles to housebuilding and broader development."

More lovely new builds everywhere that are somehow even worse quality than they are now, and an admission that the housing market is basically the one industry we have left.

"Under the bill, all councils in England will have to designate land either for development or preservation."

Developers will now be able to pressurise ailing councils to sell off public land. The home counties will of course designate everything for preservation while northern councils are going to have to sell off any green land they still have.

"The business department has just completed a public consultation seeking views on how the arrangements can allow the government to make strategic interventions in industry."

Again, this'll be the absolute ramping up of things like fire & rehire and zero hours contracts for anyone doing the actual labour if they threaten companies bottom line at all.

"There will also be bills to create a series of freeports: low-tax zones featuring simplified planning rules that ministers have said will serve as hubs for high-value manufacturing and innovation. Sceptics have cited research suggesting they tend to shift jobs and investment around the country, rather than generate new business."

I'm more concerned that they tend to attract massive amounts of organised crime.

"Business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng will meanwhile sponsor a bill to establish a “high risk, high reward” scientific research agency that was the brainchild of Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s former chief adviser."

No really, we are probably going to render large chunks of the country uninhabitable because Cummings heard Chernobyl is now cool.

"A procurement bill will give small and medium-sized companies greater opportunities to secure government contracts, and allow the public sector to buy British when the deals are not subject to international trade rules."

Well if there's one thing the pandemic has proved, it's that only good things can happen when the government are allowed to hand out contracts with zero oversight.

"The bill will reverse key aspects of a contentious 2012 shake-up of the NHS which handed greater operational independence to the health service and sharply increased the role of competition."

This is the only one that seems good? If they're reversing the role of competition that's good. It depends what they're moving the greater independence away from though.

"An environment bill, carried over from the previous parliamentary session, will include creation of a new environmental watchdog for England and fresh commitments on biodiversity."

I fully expect it to be a trump style department for companies to bribe so they can do whatever the gently caress they like, filled with climate deniers. Also carried over from the last session means 'we couldn't get it through before but now we have a majority we're forcing it through.'

"Other measures are expected to liberalise rules on gene editing in agriculture, a cause long promoted by Johnson as one of the supposed benefits of Brexit."

"Home secretary Priti Patel has secured a slot in the Queen’s Speech for her strategy on tackling violence against women and girls, which will focus on improving the low and declining conviction rates for some sexual offences, especially rape."

I cannot wait to see what draconian insanity they try to hide behind this, safe in the knowledge that anyone trying to criticise it is going to get brigaded by mumset.

It's probably not worth investigating this poo poo this closely tbh. Like I don't feel I know anything more about how bad everything is but I do feel worse anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's the high-value manufacturing and innovation. :cocaine:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

No one notice

quote:

An animal welfare bill, championed by Johnson’s partner Carrie Symonds, will also be included in the speech.

?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I live in Bournemouth and know Mudeford quite well, and there are some insane beach huts there (within the bounds of being, y'know, huts). Basically the rules on what's permissible are being stretched to the limit and then some. Some of them go for more than my house.

And yet they're still huts. It's madness.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Can you add a London style mega-basement to a beach hut?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sinky posted:

Can you add a London style mega-basement to a beach hut?

Given they are normally located next to the sea, quite possibly no, for physical rather than legal reasons.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Tory policies are always good-sounding when summed up in one sentence, that's why they're so good at getting votes from people who barely pay attention to politics

people see "build more houses" or "cut taxes" or "be kind to animals" and think "oh yes that's a good idea, I'll vote for them"

and then the media (and, under Starmer, Labour) utterly fail to explain that actually the houses are >£500k investment properties, and the tax cuts don't actually apply to people earning under £100k, and the only animals protected are police dogs and horses

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I recall a little ditty about building on sand.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Thanks for this detailed analysis/rebuttal - much appreciated.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

No one notice

?

It's her day job apparently, communications tzar for an animal rights charity. How that squares with the huntin' shootin' fishin' brigade of old colonels and the countryside alliance who support her wretched live-in lover I don't know.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Given they are normally located next to the sea, quite possibly no, for physical rather than legal reasons.

Architect's design: Stromberg's underwater city.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Finn's Law 2: This Time It's A Capital Offence

e: also introducing a specific offence preventing the prominent display of rainbow colours in horizontal stripes :lgbtflagwithcryingpolicehorse:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Architect's design: Stromberg's underwater city.

Well it *is* 2021. Just watch out for those jerks from Pod 6.

e: Actually that Sealab episode where they all declare independence from each other and the two English blokes sell them all nukes is probably the most likely outcome of relaxed planning restrictions, freeports, and the rest of these Tory policies.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003

willie_dee posted:

I hate Lawrence Fox with a passion and this really made me laugh with delight

https://twitter.com/lisa_db/status/1388578295776690176?s=21

I believe it’s from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/30/laurence-fox-war-woke-success-getting-end-not-losing-mind/ but can’t confirm because it’s behind a paywall.

This is one of the most bizarre articles I've read recently (from both the interviewer and the interviewee). Apologies if the formatting is a bit messed up - my dad is a Telegraph subscriber so I bullied him into sending me it.

quote:

‘Success in this race is not losing my mind’

He’s head to head with mayoral candidate Count Binface, so why does Laurence Fox think he can have a political career? Allison Pearson finds out

I’m not sure what you call the opposite of a politician, but you wouldn’t go far wrong if you named it Laurence Fox. The Reclaim party candidate for London Mayor in the election on Thursday has a lively sense of the absurd, an inability to do fake earnestness and a willingness, bordering on the kamikaze, to express what millions of people are thinking, but no one dares to say.

When 42-year-old Fox builds up a head of steam, whether it’s about freedom of speech or the iniquities of lockdown (he wants it lifted immediately) or “coercing” people into getting vaccinated (“to bribe people with their own summer holidays is just criminal”) or the tyranny of the woke mob, he has the oratorical fervour of a Billy Graham armed with a flame-thrower. It’s wildly entertaining to be in the audience, but I worry that, in the end, it’s him who’ll get burned.

‘People are sick and tired of being told they’re racist scumbags’
“The British people are sick and tired of being told they’re racist scumbags, Allison,” he concludes. You may well be right there, Laurence.

We are talking at Reclaim Party HQ in central London. Fox and Reform Party leader, Richard Tice, have just announced a pact for the London elections. Reform is the Brexit Party rebranded and this temporary alliance has the blessing of Nigel Farage. Surely, Fox’s showbiz friends will be horrified that Farage is backing him for mayor?

“Ah! But I don’t have any showbiz friends left,” says Fox triumphantly. “It’s supposed to be a horrible thing to say, but I think Nigel Farage is amazing. I had lunch with him. He was really supportive and kind.”

Fox is hard to place politically. He voted for Jeremy Corbyn in 2017, but now berates the Prime Minister for being insufficiently Conservative. “I think lockdown is against his (Boris’s) natural principles.” Although he admires the PM’s rhetorical gifts, he thought he was too slow to speak out when Black Lives Matter protesters scrawled “Racist” on the statue of Churchill.

Fox voted Remain, or, at least, that’s what he has told previous interviewers. “Yeah, I thought that was the best way to wind them up,” he grins, “The Wokies really don’t know what to think if you did something they consider virtuous.”

Is he serious? It’s hard to tell. Did Fox really back Brexit or is this just another turn from the actor who once played D S Hathaway, the pensive, tortured priest then detective in Lewis? I honestly don’t know. Nor, it seems, does the electorate. The day we meet, he is at 1 per cent in the polls, level pegging with a candidate called Count Binface. Despite the fact that London has become a far more violent place on his watch, the current mayor, Sadiq Khan, is still the runaway favourite to win re-election on 63 per cent with Conservative candidate, Shaun Bailey, trailing on 37 per cent.

You’re not doing that well, are you, Laurence? Joint bottom with a dustbin?

“Depends which poll you look at,” he says cheerfully. “I think The Standard said we were between 4 and 5 per cent and our own private polling says we’re about the same so we’ll see.” When I ask what he would consider to be a success, he says, “Success is standing. Success is getting to the end and not losing my mind.”

He admits it has been a real struggle to juggle the care of his sons, Winston, 12, and eight-year-old Eugene with the campaign. He shares custody of the boys with his ex-wife, Billie Piper. The blast area from their divorce is a crater and Fox is still picking the shrapnel out of what he admits is a sensitive skin. It can’t be easy having an ex who is a member of the Leftie acting tribe by which you are now reviled. Fox maintains a diplomatic silence for the sake of the children, although he does mention that Winston came home recently and said, “Millions and millions of people hate you, Daddy. Mummy likes Sadiq Khan.” Ouch.

How serious is Fox about a political career? Mimicking the fruity baritone of his backer and former Tory party donor Jeremy Hosking, Fox says, “Laurence, darling, we wouldn’t want you in charge of the Tube.”

It’s certainly a stretch to see the charismatic, febrile Fox running the transport system. He finds it funny when his team calls him “Boss”. “I don’t want to rule,” he insists. But Hosking, who gave a chunk of his fortune to the Leave campaign, must have spotted something in him when he stumped up a rumoured £5 million to fund a new political party. In the same way Farage used Ukip to bring about historic change with our relationship with Europe, I picture Fox as a valiant ‘guerrilla’ in the culture wars, galvanising the Resistance against the monstrous regiment of woke, subversively for the Britain he loves.

Fox has invaluable first-hand experience of the ‘enemy’. He tells me about a read-through where he explained to a producer that he had a problem with a drama script where every one of the seven supporting actors was diverse.

“I said, this character is his biological dad and the actors are different colours, so, well done on the diversity thing! Not so good on the plot thing.”

All screen marriages today are “mandated” by the woke police, Fox says. “When you feel a bit of diversity is deliberate diversity it feels patronising to the person who has been plucked out of the diverse bucket to be shoved into a drama.” He says he finds it “quite patronising and slightly racist, to be honest”.

I suggest that’s all very well coming from a white person who went to Harrow and belongs to a celebrated drama clan. Laurence concedes: “I have been privileged all my life”. He is part of the Fox acting dynasty. His father is James Fox, his uncle is Edward and his cousin is Emilia “Silent Witness” Fox. To be fair, Laurence’s background is more interesting than that gilded CV suggests. In his 30s, James Fox got God, left acting and became a missionary, moving to Leeds and selling telephone cleaning services. He met Mary Piper, a nurse, and they had five children.

Fox does a hilarious impression of his dad going door to door, impossibly handsome, beautifully spoken and wearing his Christian Dior suit: “Have you welcomed Jesus into your life?” I imagine that quite a few Yorkshire housewives got an urge to convert to Christianity.

Laurence refers often to his mother, who died after a fall in April last year. The funeral was a straitened, Covid-secure affair and the only time I see Fox’s bullet-proof amiability punctured is when he talks about the unseemly haste with which she was dropped into the grave. “They said it was rules about not letting the coffin hang around, but Mum didn’t even have Covid. It was dreadful.”

It is a mercy, perhaps, that she didn’t live to see her beloved son become Britain’s number one reactionary bogeyman after his appearance on Question Time last January. The panel was discussing the Duchess of Sussex’s treatment by the media when a female academic in the audience claimed the abuse Meghan had attracted was racist. Fox disagreed (“We are the most tolerant, lovely country in Europe”). Fox was then accused of being a “white privileged male” and he shot back that she was being racist.

He thought the broadcast had “gone alright”; a few people contacted him to say “what a relief someone’s finally said it”. Then, the Twitter pitchfork mob went on the warpath. “Suddenly, I was denounced by the whole of showbiz. I thought, Oh, it’ll be alright. But it wasn’t. It just got worse and worse.” Equity called him “a disgrace to our industry”. Fox sued and won, but a 22-year acting career was destroyed overnight. “My agent was like, ‘I’ll stand by you, darling … Get out!”

With his bitingly camp delivery, Fox makes it sound incredibly funny, but he got actual death threats. What advice would his mum have given him? “Get on with it, Chum!

‘It’s grim,” he concedes, “but with it comes an incredible feeling of liberation. You think I can say anything because I’m not going to lose my job, because I’ve already lost my job. So now I can resist this disgusting religion of wokery. I’m going to resist it with all of my heart.”

I reckon the parallels with Laurence’s father’s life run deep. Both men were superb actors. Both, in mid-life, sought to use their talents for something deeper. Fox says he has become “more outwardly Christian”. He and the boys say their prayers every night.

Laurence was once a “very very naughty boy” who got expelled from Harrow for having sex at the sixth form dance. With twins. “My choice of venue for said escapade could have been better,” he admits. (Middle of the dance floor on a bar stool). “My ancient housemaster turned to me and said, ‘Your penis was visible.’ Those were our final words.”

His waspish Wildean delivery makes me laugh, but there’s no doubt he’s deadly serious about his new mission. On Thursday night, Reclaim painted the bloody red handprints of 378 children and young people – the victims of knife crime – on a wall opposite the Houses of Parliament. “The fact that three young people died last week and all Khan can do is virtue-signal about setting up a City Hall group to tackle the taboo around the menopause is astonishing.”

Laurence Fox may not be anyone’s idea of a politician. Still, I think he can perform a vital function, saying aloud what mainstream politicians are too frightened to say, challenging the stifling conformity of identity politics. An actor turned evangelist preaching an alternative gospel to the false religion of woke. Get on with it, chum.

franco fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 2, 2021