Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Absurd. Anti-British

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

L

and indeed

MAO

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's a weird feeling to wake up to electoral catastrophe for Labour and instead of wanting to jump off a bridge actually finding it funny

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Corbyn had no 'antisemitic baggage' and a hypothetical left leader would be tarred with the exact same brush.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not sure if you're denying that Corbyn spent his entire leadership tenure having to deny things in his past were antisemitic?

Yes he did

EvilHawk posted:

It may have been deliberately misinterpreted in the media but those things already existed.

no they loving didn't

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

I guess any sort of even vague criticism of Corbyn is still not allowed here. Cool.

I think the "bounce" could explain the usual lack of a dip in the governing party that is seen in the local elections.

There is plenty to criticise Corbyn for, but repeating Actual Lies about him - actual, honest to god falsehoods - ain't that.

Don't be so thin-skinned, drat

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Xeno posted:

Extremely depressed today. Shall drink into oblivion. Cheers UKMT.

Maybe you could dress up good left policies in a bit of racism? More social housing, but only for local people. Free broadband, but the Daily Mail is set as everyone's homepage.

The Labour Party are not worth getting depressed over

That said, take care of yourself, ok?

Tesseraction posted:

I'm devastated by the events of last night. My PSU died and in the process of replacing it my GPU joined it. Trying to fix *that* today broke my 6TB HDD power socket.

This is going to take time and money to fix god drat it!!

this, though :rip:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Oh huh, the Indy doing so well was a Labour guy who left over the Iraq War, has worked in charity for decades helping disadvantaged kids.

sounds pretty antisemitic to me

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

jabby posted:

Don't be depressed about Labour getting hosed, it's pretty much the best possible outcome for the Left. The Right took over the party promising to do better than Corbyn and they've unequivocally, indisputably performed WAY worse than even the low points of his leadership. That's a good thing.

Seriously, there is NOTHING they can point to as a win for Labour here. Lost Hartlepool, lost multiple councils, over a hundred councillors, lost seats in SocParl, lost voters to the Tories, to the Lib Dems, to the Greens, etc. etc. Any facade they had of being more electable than a Left-wing party is crushed.

And if you're worried about the tangible impact to people's lives of Tories being in charge, I wouldn't worry that much. Most Labour councillors are barely or not at all better than Tories to start with. Having a Tory MP/Council/Mayor might actually help bring investment to some deprived areas that they wouldn't have gotten under Labour. And if we do eventually wrest control of the party back from the ghouls not having incumbents like Paul Williamson will be far more of a benefit than a problem.

Yeah, this, seriously

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

L and once again and ever more MAOOOOO

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol cool I now have three second doses of the vaccine booked (one automatically booked by the centre I got the first one at, one I arranged via 119 because that first centre told me to do that, and one from my GP). I'm gonna get all of them and take all of the 5G bandwidth and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

don't be greedy, man, ask for one of them to put one in a doggy bag and send it to me

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's quite funny because they obviously have all the right data - 119 knew I'd had my first dose, and my GP's text also specifically said second dose - but *not* that I'd already arranged the second dose weeks ago.

However as I'm going to have two spares, anyone got any leads on a reliable supplier of false arms I can collect my surplus doses in for redistribution?

(In all seriousness - stick your head round the door of your nearest non-mass vaccination centre - the ones in pharmacists - and ask if they have a waiting list for spare doses, most do and will ring round at the end of the day to offer them out if they have them)

Nearest one is miles outside of town and I don't drive, unfortunately.

I know I gotta be patient but I'm starting to get twitchy now.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

One of my favourite things about SA is how thuddingly irrelevant it is. No-one gives a gently caress about what we do here (just the way I likes it)

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Tories may be in a commanding position right now, but they are facing total electoral oblivion in the future. They have inexorably tied themselves to a generation that is dying. Eventually it will be impossible for them to form a majority.

I really don't mean to be a debbie downer but I don't think the "demographics as destiny" argument has ever actually worked out.

With that said, I think the rest of the century is going to be chaotic and tumultuous that it's basically pointless trying to predict the future, or even that electoralism is going to remain relevant or even extant.

e; fb multiple times

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 12, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

on the one hand I'm glad that I'm going to get a Good vaccine when I do get one, on the other hand I would rather have a Bad vaccine right now than wait much longer

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One thing I've noticed is a tendency of those on the right to be genuinely bewildered that if it's ok for you, why should you be worried about anyone else's difficulties.

I have a passport and bills/bank statements in my own name - but then again they are almost all online and there are places that won't accept a print out of an online statement.
I don't drive so only have a provisional driving licence (which I used as a kind of ID card in Egypt where some buildings require you to leave ID cards or passports at the entrance).
So I make a post elsewhere about the difficulties this will cause for some people. Answer from rightwingers "but you have those so why are you concerned, it's not your problem."

In the slightly amended words of Senator Gracchus: "I don't pretend to be a woman of the people. But I do try to be a woman for the people."

My partner's dad is literally the '? ??' guy whenever she talks about poverty or racism or homeless people or whatever. It's like he short circuits. As far as he's concerned there's him, my partner and her sister, and my partner's mum, and if everyone else died tomorrow it'd be inconvenient but not sad.

Me included, I might add.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of people might, if you're lucky, balk at initiating violence personally against people, but I think most of them would absolutely kill you without a second thought if they didn't have to look at you while it happened.

if it was a case of just pressing a button or giving the nod or something then yeah, probably

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There's a lot of these people, more than we think. It's why they project "virtue signalling" onto other people.

That's entirely correct, yeah. Using that particular phrase is one of the ultimate ways people can tell on themselves

EDIT

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Nah, imo if gave them an order from a position of authority, and an air of "protection" for their acts under your authority, most gammons will absolutely become an Auschwitz guard overnight.

Nah, I definitely do think that it's a much smaller hardcore of people who would personally hurt or kill another person, if only because a lot of people might want to do it but be too cowardly to do it themselves

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 12, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I already did my very real national service, make the idle scroungers man the guard posts, I'm watching the cricket. :bahgawd:

Hey man, fighting on the front lines of the culture wars is trying stuff, I'm telling you

Think of the veterans of the Statues Offensive

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That's what I mean about "protection", a lot of those cowards will feel a lot braver when given a uniform and a title. What they previously saw as a socially disadvantageous act will suddenly be something that is encouraged as long as they aim at outsiders to their group.

What I mean is fear of the violence itself, rather than the disapproval of their peers

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

feedmegin posted:

The literal Nazis are counterevidence, here. Check out the book Ordinary Men

I remember reading somewhere that the majority of people are extraordinarily reluctant to kill, and that stuff like military training is designed to breakdown this basic reluctance.

I'm having trouble finding the study now though, and concede that I am probably wrong

EDIT here is something, I dunno if this was what I was thinking of, and it's not a paper
https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/hope_on_the_battlefield

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 12, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

Geez, even Mr. Birling got on well with Gerald (probably mostly because Gerald was richer than him though).

I'm an unemployed ex-academic pothead communist with anxiety, depression, and no immediate prospects for any of those things to change

He worked in the oil industry in Nigeria in the 70s and 80s, then retired on a fat stack of cash

*Lavigne-ishy* can I make it any more obvious?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like the beliefs popularized by 'On Killing' and 'Killology'.
http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vo9/no2/16-engen-eng.asp

It's an optimistic view in a way, but almost certainly overhyped.

Where it becomes dangerous is when you assume that humans never ever want to kill and so you have to aggressively train that into soldiers or police officers just in case they need to. Then you end up with American cops being full of 'warrior cop' horseshit and not conflict deescalation skills.

Yeah it must be Grossman, I couldn't find any other names related to the idea through google

oh well, that's thoroughly depressing

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

They just kicked out Liz Cheney for not believing that the election was stolen and some of the more Q brained ones are trying to push an audit that already happened in AZ.

gently caress, this is what I get for taking my eye off the ball, this sounds like tremendous content

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

This owns

We need so much more of stuff like this

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

This is what the left should be doing and organising. This is how we do it. There’s nothing more to it than that.

Agreed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Direct action = it works

https://twitter.com/PeterAdamSmith/status/1392882099334619140?s=19

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

So this is completely hosed

https://twitter.com/mlothianmclean/status/1393123865451241472

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Was it guavanaut who said 'saying you don't have an ideology is like saying you don't have an accent'? It was someone itt. Anyway, that's a really useful analogy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Voyeur posted:

FFS don't use glue traps unless you're an evil oval office who likes to cause horrific suffering.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

At uni once I opened the cupboard the bread is stored in and pulled it by the bag only to find it was just the crust hollowed out from the back of the cupboard by a motherfucking mouse who was still there and looking at me with what felt like a hint of smugness before fleeing.

Serves you right for hoarding all the bread, comrade

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Vaccine Get!

Partner went for her second (she's immunosuppressed) and mentioned I was still waiting and got a letter to book with GP since I live with her. They told me that if I got there quick they'd jab me

and they did

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/liverpool-constituency-becomes-first-to-vote-through-no-confidence-motion-in-starmer-269495/

Liverpool constituency becomes first to vote through no-confidence motion in Starmer

"Instead of attacking the Tories, Keir Starmer has spent more time attacking grassroots members"

:sickos:

Of course it's Liverpool

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Needs updating with his new Killer Bob hair imo

Oh, Blairzy doats and Keerzy doats...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Currently doing a temp job working in a COVID test center, used to be busy but now we average about two people an hour and it's mind numbingly tedious.
But it pays decently and I haven't got any else going on so.

Is this a job where you have to pretend to be busy all the time, or can you just bring a book and chill whenever you don't gotta do anything?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah fortunately no one cares if you spend most of the day on your phone or whatever

Sweet! Honestly that sounds like a good deal to me. Gettin' paid to post

I'm doing it for free like a sucker!!!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I have a long and distinguished career in slacking off at work. My first office job in 2008 involved data entry, and there wasn't enough of it, and my computer wasn't Internet connected, so what I did was - I kid you not - printed off pages of something awful forum threads and took them into work to read them

That is some pro analog posting

Necrothatcher posted:

How many people in this thread right now are getting paid to post? I assumed it was most of us.

looooooong term unemployed here

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's funny how even in the communist thread it's still "guilty"

Not having a go, I'd be exactly the same, but just shows how deeply the mindset penetrates

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

blunt posted:

Does anybody know what the deal is re: Pfizer/AstraZenica when booking these - does it give you any indication when booking of which is available, or do you just find out when you show up to your appointment?

if you're under 40 they'll give you Pfizer or Moderna unless there is a really pressing reason that you can't have either, then they'll begrudgingly give you AZ.

IME anyway, and a few other people I know my age (mid-thirties) who've just had it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

josh04 posted:

Anyone know if they're still avoiding giving people with severe allergies the Pfizer one?

They very nearly turned me away because of my peanut allergy - they basically said 'no pfizer cos peanuts, no az cos under 40, go away until we have moderna'

But then the lead clinician there said that food allergies don't count, and it was only some weird thing I can't quite remember (plastics or something?) that was an issue, so I got the pfizer.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lunar Suite posted:

I believe some flu vaccines are raised in egg cells, and thus can't be guaranteed to be free of egg allergens?

Also, the CDC states people can be allergic to PEG or polysorbate, which are filler sort-of-plastics in vaccines to make 'em gloopy.

It was the latter, definitely, that sounds right to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's something that's always worried me is moving all of the food production abroad means that if when we make ourselves enough of an international pariah that we get trade sanctioned, that's not just "oh no, no PS5," that's complete loving meltdown. Look how nuts everyone got when the toilet paper started to run out.

Much like in the late bronze age, the modern world is held together by absurdly complex but highly fragile trade networks with little redundancy in place.

Now ask me how the bronze age ended