Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm voting for Keith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

multijoe posted:

In addition to what others have said, the alternative is the 'I believe in nothing and won't do anything' guy. Johnson's managed to land on his feet with the vaccine program, which has ended up being the most significant government handout since the Blair years. What do Labour have to counter that tremendous success - repeating 'Tory Sleaze' a hundred times?

labour are also just going "well of course they're doing well because they did a fantastic job of the vaccine", rather than saying that they hosed every single other thing up, killed 150,000 people through malice and incompetence, and the only reason they bet so heavily on the vaccine is because they wanted to rely entirely on them rather than lockdowns and they would have turned us into India in the process

like how have they let bojos blood for the blood god moment slip from their grasp if they genuinely think his handling of the vaccine is responsible for the "bounce"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Julio Cruz posted:

Laurence Fox being interviewed by Allison Pearson makes me wish for an extremely localised meteor strike

i too pray for the obliteration of the United Kingdom and all who live in it

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I've officially not voted labour for the first time ever :confuoot:

i just spoilt my ballot because all the contests were uncompetitive and there were no decent third parties

almost voted for the council candidate because she seemed ok but she's absolutely going to lose, and the only miniscule effect of my vote will be adding onto the overall pile of labour votes which Keith will claim all love him, so I didnt

could possibly have voted green for the mayoral election but iirc GPEW are a bit poo poo and I'd already put a big cross through the ballot paper anyway so oh well

for some reason I went back and did my massive cross in black ink after I saw that instruction on the paper, I think I'm just very suggestible

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Julie burchill?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I didn't vote green because why would I vote for one party that explicitly wants me to gently caress off after deciding not to vote for another because it explicitly wants me to gently caress off

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

jaete posted:

isn't that comment literally two weeks old or something

Keith is like one of those dolls where you pull a cord and he says catchphrases like "mountain to climb" or "i support the prime minister but he could go further"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
hmmm weren't they just saying that no one had mentioned Corbyn to them??

anyway it's odd that the lack of trust caused by the eternal traitor Emmanuel Corbstein would continue to increase a year after he's left the leadership and six months after he was kicked from the party and cause the Labour to win fewer votes than it did in either election where he was in charge

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yeah as much as I hate Keith (a lot) and think it's funny he ate poo poo (also a lot) I hate Tory voters even more

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jippa posted:

I say this pretty much every year but labour should just run with legal weed. There are so many successful working examples of it in north america now that it would just sell itself.

this was possibly my favourite Keith moment when he responded to a question about decriminalising cannabis with some bullshit about prosecuting many cases involving drugs and seeing the harm caused by drugs and gangs

I mean it would almost be a reasonable point if he was supporting legalisation instead but he wasn't he was saying we should deal with the issues caused by the black market by ensuring there is always a black market

the man is an actual moron

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1390558607163416579?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1390724467383472130?s=20

JEREEMYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

And that someone was karl marx, as this is literally his view of it. There are two classes, the working class, who are required to sell their labour, and the bourgeoisie, who make their money by owning things and using that ownership to force other people to give them a portion of the value they create by labouring. A footballer cannot foot ball profitably without entering into a contract with a football club and league, because the clubs and leagues own the means by which the foot baller can produce value, thus the people who own the clubs and leagues get rich by exploiting the labour of the footballer.

I'm wondering, aren't (premier league) footballers and like CEOs and other extremely high salaried "workers" effectively petit bourgeoisie? if you've got millions of pounds in the bank that represents a claim on future production and they more than likely own enormous amounts of stocks and shares which is actual direct ownership of the means of production

e: like they're not really living off their work after a certain point, they could stop working forever and survive off unearned income generated by their current wealth and the wealth itself

XMNN fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 8, 2021

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
their definition of hard left is mild social democracy, if you want to nationalise public services and infrastructure then you're basically a Leninist and need to be kept out at all costs

obviously you should continue to fund and vote for the party which hates you and your insane communist belief in like maybe doing something for people, but you should not expect any concessions in return

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1389519333999710208?s=19

:thunk:
hmmmmmmmmm

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

lol

I look forward to not voting for Keith many times in the future

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

hmm yes I'm sure he can just say it was a joke and put everything neatly back in the box

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

loving lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

More seasoned supporters of Starmer say he is the victim of circumstances. They would be cheered by the cautious conclusion drawn by one Tory official: “Covid can give and Covid can take away.” In other words, the pandemic has led to instability that could transform Starmer’s reign just as it has Johnson’s.

Voters do not appear to be put off by stories about the latter’s private life, seeing him as a lovable rogue. In contrast, as one Labour insider put it: “Keir Starmer is the perfect husband, but you just wouldn’t want to have sex with him.”

XMNN fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 9, 2021

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

peanut- posted:

If anyone fancies inflicting psychic damage on themselves here's Peter Mandelson's diagnosis of the situation in the FT. Though it can be neatly summarised as
1) Purge the left
2) Change the things that need changing and that is the change we will bring about

quote:

Voters in northern England have felt disconnected from Labour ever since we left government in 2010. That’s why we lost in 2015, 2017 and 2019. As we accelerated towards the fantasies of Jeremy Corbyn, the respectable working class voters who gave New Labour its majorities were mystified by the attempts to airbrush out its achievements in government.

loving lmao

Labour just left government in 2010 voluntarily and then they were defeated in 2015, 2017 and 2019 because they decided to start betraying the working class

I think this guy is a very astute and honest critic who is certainly not just advancing the line that suits him

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
ahahha

p sure once you've said you're going to sack someone you're going to have to get rid of them p sharpish

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
they're still trying to work out who's on the frontbench now tbf

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

Genuinely did he just lurk around the back door of the studio or something lmao? I cannot begin to imagine how the leaders office could possibly have thought mcdonnel is the best person to send to talk to the press.

I know for a fact that keir drives a big rear end car and is not afraid to run people over in it.

my guess would be the producers tried to get someone from the frontbench to come on but starmer couldn't decide which of them were currently sacked or not, so they ended up ringing around for other people to fill the slot

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1391321075007594503?s=19

video

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
personally if I hadn't been fired from my job or just fired someone and Twitter was explodin with rumours that I had, I would probably use my twitter account to say that I hadn't

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol labours "ridiculous" plan involved planting 100 million a year

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm sure the reshuffle will go fine and is all he needs to turn this ship around

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1391414019207176198?s=19
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1391414022524870664?s=19
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1391417461224902656?s=19

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I love the fact that he's backed himself into a corner by saying he's actually promoting rayner rather than sacking her, I presume he's currently casting around attempting to sack other people so she can have their job and probably failing and having to promote them too

also even if there are people stupid enough to believe that he always intended to promote her, I suspect Rayner isn't one of them so thats going to be a very normal and functional dynamic and everyone will absolutely believe that they're one big happy family and not a scheming nest of vipers

I still can't believe how bad he is at this, once you've leaked that someone is going they should just be gone

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

serious gaylord posted:

There are 4 jobs higher in seniority to 'Party chair' available to Kier. Shadow Home Sec/Chancellor/Foreign office and Leader of the Opposition. So hes basically got to Sack Dodds, Nandy or Symonds. Any of those will result in a leadership challenge imo.

just absolutely amazing

1 year in and he's already trapped in his fuhrerbunker and basically set up a situation where whatever move he makes is going to piss off a bunch of people and possibly get him booted

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Rustybear posted:

he's just a career administrator who cant make a decision

you think Keith would just fail to make a decision? you think the grownup in charge of a functional opposition would just flail wildly from crisis to crisis? have some faith jfc

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1391416651900506120?s=19

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1391437993748148229?s=19

personally I'm shocked

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
she looks just like a normal person in the street wearing normal clothes

https://twitter.com/ChrisKPH/status/1391438362142248960?s=19

clearly she should be wearing a shiny blue suit to emphasise she is a woman of the people

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
wtf is "role authority" and would this anonymous source like to expand on how Keith possesses it

also loving lmao at the shocking revelation that a politician needs policies

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

kingturnip posted:

and then only ran as Leader because everyone kept telling him how good he'd be, none of this is a surprise.
well, you say everyone...

https://twitter.com/BenNunnUK/status/1245786818257313792?s=19

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Keir starmer is for jobs, unlike Boris Johnson who is um against jobs?

peanut- posted:

The things that need changing are definitely going to be changes that are brought about

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1391499340993241097

Keir starmer is for change, unlike Boris Johnson who is um against change?

XMNN fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 9, 2021

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

crispix posted:

what kind dog that is, pls?

a borzoi

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Pistol_Pete posted:

It honestly does remind me of 18th century nobles: supposedly hugely rich but in reality mired in debt and forever mortgaging off their lands and pursuing wealthy heiresses so they could keep up appearances.

did they have cocaine in the 18th century

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Pistol_Pete posted:

The clock shows that it's after 3am.

are they not just day drinking?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

Keir Starmer's one good idea and nobody mentions it.

this would be playing politics with the pandemic, which would look disrespectful and the Tories will never do

also he kind of hosed it by going back to being a pissy little windsock in January, him u-turning on schools an hour after the government leaked that they would be u-turning on schools is much more likely to be the thing people remember imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm interested in the period when the UK stood alone against the combined forces of nazi Germany, fascist italy, imperial Japan and Soviet Russia, does anyone know when that was?