Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Niko because he's inexplicably polling as well as some of the major parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I met someone who claimed that anyone who earns an income from their labour (rather than renting out capital) is working class. Premier league footballers are all working class by definition.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Most of my friends are in finance or medicine. Investment Banking is seriously exploitative and the suicide rates are very high. My friends who are in IB are systematically more miserable than anyone else, even though they are paid over 200k.

The money doesn't compensate for the exploitation but obviously they still will never experience the precarity and vulnerability of earning less than 20k, and the challenges relating to access to capital. We can acknowledge their exploitation at the same time as recognising their privilege.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I will say that it's not that helpful to think about salaries being earned through hard work. Most of my colleagues in finance and medicine work hard and we generally come up with useful personal narratives to justify our incomes because of it. Some of my colleagues are used to coming in at 6am and leaving at 1am.

It's hard to quantify what relevance this has to do with anything though - if hard work caused high compensations then everyone in the world's income would be in a very narrow distribution because people do actually work hard no matter what they do.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Even people who think of themselves as unproductive can't physically work orders of magnitude less than a hard worker to justify the income distribution.

It's the Weberian idea that people's incomes should be determined by how productive they are and how hard they work. Not only is it not true in practice, it shouldn't even be what we strive for.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Whatever people earn, incomes should all be in the same order of magnitude - salary and capital income. Inequality is bad in and of itself and we should take whatever steps are necessary to reduce and prevent it.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

HopperUK posted:

I'm cross because my 2nd vaccine appointment got moved up and now I'm feeling lovely *and* I have to go to work tomorrow. I'd booked holiday time after the day I *thought* it was going to happen. Blagh.

If you have an adverse reaction to your second dose, don't use your annual leave. That is the definition of a sick day.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Borrovan posted:

they're just trying to pressure you into making their problem your problem, don't buy into it

Yes. If you're being considerate of your immediate colleagues or you want to avoid negative political outcomes that one thing. If you're making personal sacrifices to protect your employer and their ongoing operating activities, then remember that they will never reciprocate. Especially if there's some three strike arrangement like you mentioned.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Alexei Sayle introduced Corbyn at the protest yesterday as 'the real leader of the opposition' and there were huge cheers.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
IIRC the Olympic volunteers for London 2012 were not paid. There were tens of thousands of volunteers, all working several full day shifts.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I was very Lexit during the referendum, but had to vote for Remain because it was clear the result would be taken as a referendum on immigration.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

OwlFancier posted:

If you gave me the job of pushing the UK as far right as I could I would not change anything about the BBC

The BBC is a regressive institution but I think the UK gets substantially worse if we allow whatever Murdoch network springs up as its replacement to dictate the political narratives. I don't know whether 'bbc reform' has any teeth, but it seems more likely to succeed than to try and create a leftist network when there are no credible contemporary contenders with sufficient reach.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I was continuously overpaid by my firm (by double) and didn't notice. They contacted me after about four months and made me repay it immediately. But apart from being roasted by everyone who knew, nothing adverse happened professionally. This was long enough ago though that to check my balance I would have had to go to an ATM so it was reasonably plausible I wouldn't notice.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I'm finally able to book a vaccination. Is it preferable to choose a smaller center or a larger one? Am I likely to experience delays at a larger one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Hundreds of thousands of people died in the US and UK this year, and it's probably at least in the tens of thousands for the marginal amount over whatever a base rate number might have been (with best policy).

I'm not suggesting that should be considered genocide, but mass death due to policy negligence isn't just early twentieth century stuff.