Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty much everyone I know has been vaccinated, and a good chunk of them managed to jump the queue. Meanwhile one of my 50 year old friends can't book on, because he had been removed from his GP's list because he hadn't been in a decade. He's tried to re-register at a different practice, but either they're inept or the pandemic is slowing down new patient registrations, because he can't get his details on the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Report the animal cruelty suspicions. The RSPCA can launch their own prosecutions so if the woman is police or police-adjacent then something still might be done about it.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Guavanaut posted:

It's that and absolutism.

Masks aren't 100% effective so might as well not bother, social distancing isn't 100% effective so might as well not bother.

Never mind that cumulatively all you're really trying to do in a pandemic is stop the healthcare system from collapsing during the peaks, because if that happens then a tidal wave of poo poo gets unleashed where people end up dead of minor accidents/injuries, and that cumulatively adding things that reduce transmission by 20% here and 30% there and so on is the best shot we have at stopping that happening.

That's too joined up though, and I guess in turn ties back into individualism again because it requires acknowledging that the reason you're extremely unlikely to die from a razor cut in the 21st century UK is in part because of living in a society, and having a system of healthcare with a capacity.

See also: green energy. So many people dismiss it because renewables were only providing x% of the UK's total energy requirements. Well yes, at the moment, but the percentages creep up annually despite our energy useage increasing, and it all makes a difference.

Solar powered masks for everyone.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I am so confused by what day it is. The weekend was longer, bin day is wrong, there's a real possibility I'll forget to vote on Thusday. Not that it matters, you could put a blue rosette on a dead wasp and it would win.

Meat substitutes have come on in leaps and bounds thanks to the vegan fad, after years of being an afterthought. That being said, my vegan sibling booked a table at a pub having specifically asked if they had a vegan option. The 'vegan roast' was potato with other potato, and a tiny portion of brocolli, but no other veg because it wasn't vegan. It felt like spite because the chef didn't like vegan food. I don't miss meat, but I do sometimes see what looks like a lovely recipe but want a protein componant and cheese/mushroom/legumes aren't appropriate.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I find Quorn gives me awful tummy ache if I eat it on consecutive days. This is unfortunate as I live alone and often have the same evening meal for 3 days in a row. It took a couple of times to make the connection that Quorn was the cause of the misery. I know that other meat-free stuff isn't fungi-based and isn't likely to cause the same problem, but it makes me wary all the same.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i dunno if anyone has said this before so apologies if this has been gone over before but the radio said earlier that you should take your own pencil or pen to vote tomorrow because of covid covered pens and pencils.

I had forgotten this, thank you.

Please do go out and vote, even if you spoil your ballot.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I got back from the polling station just as a man was posting a "Don't forget to vote Labour!" card through the front door. He had a Labour tote bag so he probably is a volunteer.

I was the only person in the polling station. Couldn't get close enough to the table to see the lists where they cross people off, so couldn't say if they'd been busy earlier.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

MikeCrotch posted:

Lol if you live outside Nottingham this might have been me

(It's me, the guy who is still a simp for my local Labour party despite everything)

It might have been! Do you have dark hair? I couldn't see the face because of the mask.

Possibly seeing a real live goon is more exciting than the election.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I really feel for all of you desperate to get the vaccine but are too young, because those NHS ads and Facebook invitations to add the 'I've had my vaccine' frame to my profile felt like they were mocking me too.

If you're concerned about which one you'll get, apparently some of the larger vaccination centres are phasing out AZ and will stock only Pfizer and Moderna (or will only be offering AZ as the second jab on specific days). One of the large centres in my county stopped AZ earlier this week, partly because they're open evenings and weekends which is more convenient for under-40s who are now expected to go back into their workplaces. The smaller pharmacy or surgery vaccination clinics are less likely to have the freezers needed for Pfizer and have shorter opening hours.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
From a few pages back, but re: corporate sponsorship, I was invited to volunteer to help in preparing Team GB for the Olympics this summer. I could - possibly - get to briefly meet some of the athletes, and lunch, and in return all they required from me was a minimum of 5 days' committment (unpaid), for me to cover my own travel and accommodation costs, and to come wearing either Adidas or unbranded trainers (to be supplied at my own cost if I don't already own some).

I don't object to using volunteers, but covering expenses would be a drop in the ocean compared to how much the Olympics costs. It makes hiring on minimum wage zero-hours contracts look ethical.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

thats lame. I know its not the point but is there any other source of funding you could look to?

Nah, I politely declined and left it at that. It's the sort of random thing I'd normally be quite interested in doing, but not to the point where I'm going to go massively out of my way to sort it. They're organising transporting people to the other side of the world during a pandemic, I'm sure they could've block-booked a hotel for an amazing discount if they'd tried, it's not like the hospitality industry is in a position to be picky.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I have a dream to have my own cake business, but cakes-by-post is difficult and the number of little local cafes and bakeries that have opened and almost immediately closed is enough to put me right off.

I can do flavoured gin, either to sell or to drown my sorrows as I spend another 30 years commuting to the office.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Camrath posted:

I know I’d buy interesting guns.

Why have the bland, corporate BAE Systems experience when you can get a boutique armaments experience?

Camrath posted:

I know I’d buy interesting gins.

There are all sorts of licenses required to seel alcohol. I'm not ruling it out, but it's an area that's more bureaucratically fraught and with harsher penalties for mistakes than food.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Szmitten posted:

Since the 30s are approaching, I'm just curious from those ahead of me, when are we given the option to pick an alternative to the AZ vaccine? Has the booking page been updated to let you choose or are you expected to find out they've run out on the day you get there?

You don't get to choose. Places will have enough AZ to cover the second doses but the stocks of Pfizer and Moderna are high enough to cover the under 40s who are booked in for their first jab. You're only going to get AZ if you go into one of the walk-in vaccine clinics without an appointment, or if someone has accidentaly unplugged the Pfizer fridge on the day of your appointment.

Seriously though, please take whatever you're offered unless you've been told you, specifically, can't have one of them. There are multiple brands available for every vaccine, but the NHS doesn't hand you a menu and ask which of these tetanus vaccinations would you like this evening.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 22, 2021

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

kingturnip posted:

It's not the Indian variant, haven't you heard?

Modi is a bigger narcissist than Trump, which I'm actually impressed by.

I've helped out with the surge testing and to be fair we've been told not to call it the Indian variant. If a bunch of people turn up with lanyards, clipboards and government-issued testing kits for 'the Indian variant', it reinforces some people's prejudices. The WHO also recommends avoiding naming diseases after places or species, because people are horrible bloodthirsty monsters.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

problem is what do you call it? If you're trying to keep the public informed you can't call it varient 1N1BC-1UC1F3R. They'll never remember it.

"A variant of concern". In reality you rarely need to say anything, the people in areas with local outbreaks generally know why surge testing is being carried out.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to Lozza, dressed as Clive of India, singing Roger Daltrey's rock-opera tribute to the East India Company on the main stage of Brexitfest (sponsored by Wetherspoons).

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Boris Johnson is spending the 'takeaway' money on fancy bottles of booze and a couple of meals from gourmet restaurants that don't normally deliver, but will happily make an exception for the Prime Minister. Six bottles of Moët champagne will cost a couple of hundred quid and that's before you get in the eye-wateringly expensive bottles of whisky for an after-dinner tipple to help digestion.

Is boxing getting less promotion because there's greater awareness of the nuerological damage from contact sports? Obvoiusly everyone knows KOs are bad and boxers periodically die in the ring, but even repeated mild head trauma is linked to devastating brain damage by middle age. At what point does boxing become too problematic to heavily promote?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In London at least the opposite problem was more common. Fruit and veg (and anything likely to perish sitting in the week-long traffic jam at Aldgate waiting to be assessed for tax) were expensive luxuries, the average diet was basically dried meat, cheese, and local(ish) seafood like eels and shellfish. Of course when cholera hit town the situation reversed spectacularly.

A historian of my acquaintance speculated that a lot of aristocrats died of constipation. Many died after a shortish illness with abdominal pains and bloating, sometimes with 'obstructions', after a lifetime of heavy meat consumption and laudenum.

Your lower classes wouldn't have had quite as much opiate-based medical treatment or meat, and at various times probably not enough food of any description to cause fatal constipation. Assuming whatever the cheap bread/milk/sugar was cut with to bulk it out didn't also give them exciting intestinal experiences.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Pleurisy hasn't gone away. A former colleague of mine had it (former because I no longer work there, not because she died). Even once she was well enough to come back to work, she couldn't climb stairs or lift anything. Anything requiring her chest muscles to do more than the bare minimum would cause a flare up. It took weeks for her to recover and at lot of that was spent in pain.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Years ago the subject of aluminium baseball/rounders bats came up in idle conversation and I was baffled for the moment it took me to realise that some people genuinely use them to play sport.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Perfect Element posted:

Hoping someone can help me out here... I booked my jabs a couple of days ago, and I have the first one tomorrow. I can't actually remember where it is (other than its in Ashford, which is an hours drive away from me), and the NHS hasn't sent me a confirmation, by email or text.

When I try to access the relevant info on the website, it tells me I need to provide a booking reference. But I don't have one. It won't let me resubmit details as if I were applying for the first time, so it clearly recognises that I'm booked in the system, I just have no way of getting in. Anyone come across this, or have any idea how to resolve the situation?

Is this Kent? A friend of mine turned up for his first jab earlier in the week and they couldn't find him in the system. They sent him home because they didn't have spares. He wasn't the first person to turn up with a booking that hadn't gone through. And he had the same problem trying to rebook, because the website recognised he'd already made an appointment, and wouldn't let him start again. It's a weird glitch and I wonder if it's affecting the same centre.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was like a patriotic dazzle camo that was messing with my eyes, but nope, it really is that shape. How have they manage to make it look like it's been in a terrible accident before it's maiden voyage? Is that level of window tint legal? Why don't they want you to see in?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I've never met a participation-trophy-whinger who knows that Olympic athletes get participation medals and have done since 1896.

Fridgechat: Do those ones with the transparent plastic strips help conserve energy? They're easier for people than heavy fridge doors, and if they can be removed then they won't be in the way for restocking, but I don't know how well they actually keep the cool in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
No countries wanted any kind of international legislation banning genocide until the Holocaust, because they didn't want any interference in their domestic or colonial atrocities. Russia had pogroms against Jews, Turkey was killing the Armenians (and Greeks), and of course the UK and Belgium were doing truly appalling things in their overseas colonies. There was a fear that if you got on the wrong side of League of Nations/UN, the member countries would suddenly decide you were in the wrong, invade, and take your stuff.

The current genocide law, as Tesseraction quoted, is also a convenient summary of European history up until the 1940s. 'Passive' genocide is absolutely still genocide, and I don't think there's much of a moral distinction. Churchill knew what the consequences would be for refusing to send aid to India during the famine, because it was his own government in India was asking for help. The authorities knew what the conditions in their South African concentration camps were like and they knew that this would increase the mortality rate. I don't think you can argue that they didn't intend for people to die just because they didn't shoot them or something.