Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

"goddamnedtwisto" posted:

*List of old timey deaths*

Teeth?

e: I'm guessing probably complications from gingivitis or something but just bluntly writing TEETH had me howling for a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Me: [chanting] teeth, teeth-

Other mourners: teeth, TEETH

Coroner: [pounding her clipboard] TEETH, TEETH, TEETH

This is exactly what ran through my head upon reading TEETH and why I went into a bizarre giggle fit.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Hoping someone can help me out here... I booked my jabs a couple of days ago, and I have the first one tomorrow. I can't actually remember where it is (other than its in Ashford, which is an hours drive away from me), and the NHS hasn't sent me a confirmation, by email or text.

When I try to access the relevant info on the website, it tells me I need to provide a booking reference. But I don't have one. It won't let me resubmit details as if I were applying for the first time, so it clearly recognises that I'm booked in the system, I just have no way of getting in. Anyone come across this, or have any idea how to resolve the situation?

When I went for mine today the person ahead of me in the queue didn't have their reference either. The staff were able to look up this person's reference by taking some basic details and they were then able to get their vaccination. As for the where I'm a bit stumped as from searching it doesn't look like Ashford has a mass vaccination centre. You could try calling 119 to confirm your appointment.

efb by twisto (again!) :argh:

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's bizarre how we as a society have completely forgotten that there were actual fleets of zero-emission vehicles making daily deliveries to almost every urban and suburban address in the country for like 50 years. You're telling me that we *couldn't* have them also delivering groceries and all of our parcels at the same time now?

I think I've discussed this in the UKMT before and Jaeluni mentioned having seen the same thing too. Prior to Covid, when Extinction Rebellion were a bigger deal and bringing traffic to a grinding halt in major cities for a few weekends, a long read image rant was being shared on Facebook. The image was a rant directed at today's youth (which given the way it was written, could be anybody under 30). It was a lengthy "In my day!" screed of electric milk floats, placing empty glass milk bottles on your doorstep for collection the following morning, paper bags for groceries, bottle banks outside supermarkets, learning to repair clothes rather than today's culture of disposable cheap clothing etc. All this and more, followed by a stern "You've all got plastic stuff now so stop telling ME I'm destroying the planet and should go green!"

It baffled me every single time I saw it shared because it comes so close to acknowledging that doing your part to reduce carbon footprint is achievable and in some ways could meet the "I want things the way they were" crowd's wishes, and completely misses the point.

I discussed this with somebody I know who had also shared it. When I pointed out that a) A lot of the things listed in that screed were still around until I was about 12 (I'm mid 30's) and b) was this person seriously trying to suggest that the executives in the various board rooms responsible for making the switch to disposable plastics, shitcanning milk float services, and the introduction of the Primark era of 3 t-shirts for a tenner, were those board rooms filled with 8-12 year old executives making those decisions? No. 'My' generation are effectively saying "That stuff's cool, we'd like that back please" and is that such a bad thing? I didn't get much of a response, just a quite pondering and "oh..." but that was a much better result than I was bracing for (shouting while wildly waving arms around).

Its not completely forgotten, people seem to conveniently remember it in not such nuanced way when groups like Extinction Rebellion are partying in Trafalgar Square for a fortnight.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

what happened to <x> men?

They're sort of still around in some places but not "pitch up in an area for half hour then move" anymore. Folkestone has a market that springs up at the bottom end of the high street every weekend. There's a butcher's van that parks outside the town hall with a a man in a hat bellowing "CHOOOOOOOPS, GEEET YER PORK CHOPS!" but he's often drowned out by the much louder and gobbier flower men. There's a static fish stall in the harbour if you need a jellied eel fix too.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yes, because we were the ones who fetishised plastic in the 70s and set up various systems that rely on an inexhaustable supply of petrochemicals.

Not sure if you're inferring I suggest the responsibility for that relies on every person over [insert threshold of age here]. I'm not. Much in the same way that in the discussion I had with another in the following paragraphs, it shouldn't be suggested that "Well all the plastics came along when you youngin's did!" :argh:. What I was trying to point out is that I find it very peculiar to rant "We had that stuff!" acknowledge it was a good thing, then not realise the current movement in support of reducing our carbon footprint is to literally go back to doing [good thing] and yet the ones sharing this long screed image refuse to do it when asked... while also posting "Back in my day things were great its all poo poo now!" elsewhere. :psyduck:

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Insightful post

Well that's certainly interesting. I'd not thought of those aspects and now fear I know what the rest of my Friday night internet browsing will be (once I finish this best man's speech I'm trying to avoid).

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No, I think the person who's post you were responding to is the kind to see things like 'young people use plastics' and assume that it's a choice young people made rather than one they had foisted on them, like the whole 'participation trophies poo poo.

Wasn't having a go at you, more at the person you were talking about.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Its a sort of yes. The person I had this conversation with was a bit of a surprise when I saw them share the image. Participation trophies and the like they don't really care about, (they'd probably encourage that specific thing I think as they're usually the first to make a point of asking kids "ok you didn't win, but you had fun playing right?" at events. Good egg there). I think it was a case of they felt personally attacked by the rhetoric of all "olds" have hosed everything and we're mad about it, and they were fed up with it. But yes the majority of people I've seen sharing that image fit the profile you've outlined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Popping in to say congrats Red Oktober. :toot: