Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Who is the bat man in this scenario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Soylent Yellow posted:

This happened relatively near to me. My bet would be on an irate fisherman. Some of them can get very aggressive when something else eats their fish, and are massively hostile to reintroduction projects. One of them heading out with a chainsaw to 'solve' the problem wouldn't be out of character for some, and would be quietly applauded by many more.

That would make more sense than a farmer, I'd hope they know that osprey are very unlikely to attack a sheep. I'm surprised the location of the nest was made public though, often they're kept quiet to avoid both this and egg theft.

serious gaylord posted:

Would you like to hear about the £330,000 beach huts at Mudeford Quay in Christchurch? Or the £100k ones at Sandbanks with a 12 year waiting list?

Beach huts are bonkers.
We're talking about the little sheds where you can keep a couple folding chairs and I guess get changed if you're shy in the two weeks a year the weather is good enough to go to the beach?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 2, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Did we run out of empty luxury flats in London to hide money in or something?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

Are there any good ones? I've heard Violife is ok but am reluctant to be disappointed. When I finally someday get my Beyond Burgers from Tesco it would be nice to have a nonshit cheese to top it

I've tried a lot and unfortunately none of them have been any good as cheese. A few were quite nice in their own right, but they weren't cheese. And all the ones made with coconut are just gross, if you're going to try them stick with the pistachio and cashew ones imo.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I don't know about pistachios but aren't cashews harvested in insanely awful conditions? Like the plant emits caustic chemicals and they are mostly harvested by literal slaves who are forced to work until their skin burns off?

I don't know about that, my main point is to stay away from coconut based "cheese". You can make a pretty good cheeselike sauce for some recipes with a base of potato and nutritional yeast though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

At least with avocados I guess you can look for Spanish ones where the pickers are only subject to the normal EU levels of abuse, underpay and exploitation that you have to buy into if you eat any supermarket veg, and there are fewer rainforests to cut down.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you're killing the mice anyway then is it ethical to eat them afterwards?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

serious gaylord posted:

Free Owlfancier.

Dumb probation but its a risky thread to post in.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I can't see who's doing the probing on the Awful app, but I assume it's one of the many terrible mods enforcing a zero-tolerance approach to any criticism of liberalism/Biden.

Yeah I was just checking out what happened there too and lol I've rarely seen so ironic a probe reason. The mod is Herstory Begins Now, FI, I don't read US D&D threads so I don't know anything more about them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That mod *really* doesn't like people being rude about liberals, which suggests they might have just awoken from a 15-year slumber and thinks the only people doing that on SA are the PRON HAUL lot.

If you were a 2006 American liberal who fell into a coma, possibly after being shot by current US vice president Dick Cheney, I wonder what the biggest shock would be when you woke up today.

e: Other than your drat HOSPITAL BILL am I right?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 4, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Quorn isn't really aimed at vegetarians, it's aimed at people who eat meat but maybe want to go from 7 times a week to 4-5 times a week or something. So the idea is you can just treat it like the meat in your meal and it'll be inoffensive and absorb whatever sauce or spice flavours you're using. I guess all the much better meat replacements that the increased awareness and popularity of meat-free diets in the last decade or two have brought (and also the mycoprotein patent lapsing) have made it look pretty crummy by comparison today though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

CGI Stardust posted:

we're going to go 0 for 4 in Stupid Wars Started Over Fish. it's going to absolutely rock, and France will claim all our coastline up to Bristol

Yeah after losing 3-0 to Iceland in their last friendly I don't think too much of the team's chances in an actual tournament game.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sanitary Naptime posted:

:siren: Podcast Announcement :siren:

Hello everyone,

There comes a time when it becomes necessary to betray the Citizen Soviets and centralise power for the good of the people. With that in mind, Podcasting is Praxis is selling out, and has slimmed down to five people: David, Jamie, James, Rob, and Alasdair.

It was fun doing the podcast as a bigger collective, but we've reached the point where to continue to grow we need to be more organised and consistent, and better able to plan. We looked at the numbers, and for a while now it's been more or less the same steady crew, and that's coincided with a massive increase in listeners. We're over 1k an episode easily now, which is loving wild.

We also need to eat. Jamie has been living on scrapings from our t-shirt sales for a while, and meanwhile people have been asking if they can give us money. So, to give the people what they want, we have a Patreon now.

That's it. There's nothing more to say. We'll still be here, posting too much, and still putting out episodes. Cheers for reading.

Seems reasonable, it's been obvious for a bit who the core crew is as a regular listener and I guess you can still bring other contributors on from time to time if they have something to say. Haven't listened to the latest yet but I'm glad you're talking about HE, it's been on my mind as something that would be a good left podcast discussion but I only ever hear Desolation Radio talk about it (cos they're academic types themselves I guess).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

We only just got medical, recreational is something that nobody but a handful of the Greens even wants to touch.

It's something that Europe as a whole is way behind North America (and South Africa) on:

Any half-decent party could make political capital out of things like armed robberies against people not even involved with growing cannabis as a strong case for a regulated legal market, and every time it's polled it seems to get a majority in support.

I'm glad that decriminalisation is slowly making headway, and don't want to take anything away from the good people who fought hard for that in the US. I know that Americans today are (mostly) not the ones responsible for policy from decades ago. But I do find it a little galling that the US basically forced the idiotic war on drugs on the rest of the world and now they all get to sit smugly in their huge clouds of boutique weed smoke tutting at how backward everyone else's drug policy is.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

It sounds like they're planning to give her a mop and tell her to clean Labour HQ after hours.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A starting salary of £82k would put those senior doctors in the top 5% in the UK by income1, so I can see why people might feel unsympathetic. But the income curve is so skewed at the top, so asymptotic, that I thought it might be illustrative to remind ourselves of how income is distributed in the UK and put doctors into perspective.

The top 10% of earners (income over ~£43k in 2015)2 feel basically like normal folk and I imagine there are quite a few posting ITT. The top 1% (over ~£130k) are obviously raking it from the perspective of most of us, but the majority are also still workers in the sense that their money comes mainly from their employers. The fine folk of the top 1% pay about 30% of HMRC's income tax revenues, around the same portion as the 90-99% bracket :britain:. Even then you're "only" making a quarter of the top 0.1% (~£520k): the relative difference between someone on minimum wage and a senior doc. The richest 0.1% also control 10% of the country's wealth, so you know we're getting into serious capitalist territory here, basically nobody is getting this just as a pay cheque. Once you get onto the lofty heights of the top 0.01% (who are ~5500 people getting over £2.2m) income quadruples again and from their perspective the difference between £12k and £100k is basically nothing. It's hard to go up another order of magnitude to the richest 0.001%, because you're looking at individual people rather than statistics and they really don't like their finances being inspected. In any case it doesn't make much sense to talk about their income in the usual way because whether they gain £10m or lose £50m is basically reliant on random fluctuations of the market and in any case it doesn't much matter to them - to break the top 500 wealthiest (not the same as highest income but I can't find those numbers) UK people you have to have over £250m stashed away3.

All that is to say that sure, earning gently caress all and choosing between dinner and heat obviously feels very, very different to being a doc with a nice house in Zone 2 and a cottage in the Lakes. But the very top control so much wealth and take so much of the nation's productivity for themselves just for owning stuff that having a go at some guy who actually works for a living is pointless - to those on the top plane of income we all look like loving ants and they lend us about as much consideration. If some awful, awful catastrophe were to befall the top 0.1% basically no actual useful work would stop getting done - they'd all fit into the stands of a good sized football stadium like Anfield, remember, or onto the pitch in any standard sized grounds in the country. But we could all take a nice pay rise to console ourselves during the period of national mourning. I can't figure out exactly how much, but it seems like something on the order of another 25% of the total national salaries to divvy up as we choose. And since all that poo poo they own would still be around, like houses and factories and whatnot, I reckon we could find good use to put that stuff to as well. Much as it's frustrating reading about the out-of-touch opinions of the moderately well off in the lifestyle pages of the Guardian or among the Twitterati, it should be clear who the folk are to really have a go at.

1 Office of National Statistics: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax
2 All these numbers are from a 2019 Essex Uni Institute for Economic and Social Research study: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/research/publications/working-papers/iser/2019-06.pdf, their numbers are derived from HMRC and ONS. Obviously it's a few years old, but then income inequailty has only increased since.
3 Times rich list, you can look it up yourself.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 12, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

An excellent post and I'd like to add (because I didn't see it mentioned) that doctors are responsible for people's lives and small mistakes could put them in jail. A hefty renumeration seems reasonable in this context.

Whenever someone goes off on one about tube drivers I use the same argument. Actually I earn about the same as a tube driver but I get the luxury of taking a 5 minute break whenever I want without killing 80 people. Tube drivers probably ought to get more.

Yeah that's an additional wrinkle. In theory that's also part of the justification for the ridiculous compensation packages we see for CEOs - "I'm responsible for the welfare of 5000 employees so of course it's only right I make as much as any 100 of them put together." Of course CEOs aren't typically held criminally liable for their failures and just move on to another similar position when their decisions leave those 5000 employees out of work or lead to deaths.

I don't entirely like the argument from responsibility or effort, although I think it has some use in pointing out the absurdity of the arguments used to justify wage inequality. If you take a cleaner doing 50 hours a week wiping poo poo off public toilets it's pretty difficult to argue that they're working less hard than someone in the spreadsheet factory, and yet they're being paid a third as much. Excel monkey isn't really a more skilled job and it doesn't usually come with much responsibility, but it does often require a degree and being "the right kind of person", from which you can draw your own conclusions.

Ultimately I'd rather go with the rationale that everyone should have enough to live comfortably, whatever we decide that means, and nobody should have so much that it bends space and time around them to their will. I think that's a moral good, but it's not just a matter of fairness. It's also that having an underclass in poverty is clearly and measurably harmful to the kind of society most people want (even while it's extremely profitable to capital), and the immense, undemocratic, unaccountable power that comes from great wealth is similarly incredibly harmful to all of us.

Private Speech posted:

It's worth noting the £43k is after tax, the corresponding figure for before tax is £53.1k in 2015.
The paper does say it's before-tax income (bottom of page 7), but I also looked at a study from the Institute for Fiscal Studies where the numbers were all somewhat higher and in line with your figure. I don't have the raw data so I can't say for sure which is right.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 12, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Private Speech posted:

I was going by: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax, which corresponds to the figure for after tax 2015, with before-tax being the 53k.

Thanks for the correction, then! :tipshat:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There's a lot of these people, more than we think. It's why they project "virtue signalling" onto other people.
It's a shame that those people don't see that even from a purely selfish point of view things that are good for society are broadly good for them too. Even (or especially) the most Jeremy Clarkson type character has some pet peeves about society, whether that's potholes in the road, an out of proportion fear of burglary or mugging, or they just think that homeless people in the street make the place look untidy. Those are all things that are easily within our capability to reduce or entirely solve but for some reason nobody wants to support the policies that would actually do so (with the exceptions of more cops and bring back hanging, which don't work very well on the latter two issues and don't work at all on potholes).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Hang the potholes :mad:

National service (which I definitely did) to make the youth fill in potholes!

It's an idea, but what with the soft youth of today I don't think they have the durability you need as proper pothole filler.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"thought silos". (Did I just make up some management speak? Quick, I'll write a popular management book and create some courses and get rich.)
Thought silos are where I keep my nuclear hot takes ready for deployment.

On the rest of your post, pretty much. That's meant to be part of the deal of living in a functional society. For people who want to be some kind of self-sufficient libertarian übermensch beholden to no man then I guess there's nothing stopping them buying a dinghy and going seasteading.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interestingly, this variation in the understanding of 'until' comes up in Egyptians using English.
In UK, MOST of the time, "until" means right up to 1 nanosecond or 1 attosecond before this absolute instance of time, this was the case. But right now, as of the exact now, it has changed. (For the older goons, remember Tomorrow's World with Raymond Baxter? :corsair: they would always start with breathy excitement: "We haven't been able to do X, until NOW!" (revealing gadget which does X).
The word used in Arabic for 'until' and translated as 'until' by English-speaking Egyptians INCLUDES the present moment - so it STILL isn't doable.

So:

Brit boss to Egyptian Employee: "Have you done that report yet?"
Egyptian Employee speaking Egyptian English: "Until now, I didn't do it" (meaning right now including the present instant he hasn't done it.)
{Brit boss hears: I hadn't done it but I have now finished it.}
Brit boss to Employee: "So let me have it then"
Confused Employee: but I haven't finished it.
Brit boss thinks "untrustworthy, shifty" etc etc all those perjorative words when as far as the employee is concerned he has told him the exact truth.
Cue: lots of cussing in the bars of various Brit Clubs by British bosses working in Cairo firms about how unreliable etc Egyptians are.

My other favourite is 'nervous'. Brits mean 'scared' or 'apprehensive' when they say it. English-speaking Egyptians mean 'angry' (because when you get angry you get all sort of shaky and nervy).
So: someone says to you "you make me nervous" - you think "But I'm not a scary person" - Egyptian is telling you you are making him angry, not scared!

I feel like the way "until" is used in English today must be weird because apart from that meaning I quite often hear non-native speakers using it like "I'll have it until Wednesday", meaning "I'll have it by Wednesday". Which honestly makes as much sense as the normal use if you think about the word.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Borrovan posted:

I also learned that apart from production areas, the fridges in the canteen - y'know those open ones without doors that shops keep the sandwiches in - used more energy than the entire rest of the site put together.

I'm surprised those fridges are still in use, all the ones here have glass doors on them, presumably to waste less energy. Seems a pretty easy change to make with no real downsides (other than buying new fridges).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

That depends on whether or not you would lose money from people having trouble accessing them (also in the sense of making restocking take longer and having to hire more people to do it) and from furious old people screaming about how it's a conspiracy to stop them shopping or something. Enough to offset the electric bill.

What self-respecting, letters-to-the-council-writing, red-faced old fart is buying supermarket sandwiches rather than doing them themselves like they did in the Blitz? Do Tesco even do prepackaged corned beef and piccalilli sandwiches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Although I guess they wouldn't let never buying the sandwiches themselves stop them complaining, so maybe you're right.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know if it is different in other parts of the country but up here everything chilled in the supermarket is sold from open fridges.

As is some of the frozen, they have the open trench freezers.

The only shop I have ever been in that has fridges with doors on was a newer build co-op.

I think I've just been away from my beloved homeland too long because while now I think about it that does sound right, it also seems very strange and wrong to me these days.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 28, 2021