Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Happy Workers day everyone.

We are entitled to all we create.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

It's that and absolutism.

Masks aren't 100% effective so might as well not bother, social distancing isn't 100% effective so might as well not bother.

I'm pretty bad when it comes to Manichean views of things, but this is a bridge too far even for me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I am going to vote tomorrow, but I am sad that there is nothing one person can do to truly alter the face of our present reality.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

I guess any sort of even vague criticism of Corbyn is still not allowed here. Cool.

It'd be great if you could provide examples, because I myself am just a little bored with how often people seem to go "He was an antisemite and did continually do these things and no I'm not looking into it because the media can't fool me!"

There are valid criticisms of Labour and Corbyn in particular. But the belief that something can't be created and spun by the press is not accurate to observable reality.

EvilHawk posted:

Fine, going back to lurk. Not particularly interested in having arguments about things that happened all morning.

"These things happened". "Can you prove it". "I don't need to, you should know this already".

Just, if you cover yourself in BBQ sauce when you walk into the lions den don't be surprised when the lion bites you.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 7, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Guess what kind of cladding it has and what steps the freeholder has made to rectify it?

(Thankfully as it started during the day there's no reports of deaths or serious injuries so far but that's very much luck not judgement)

That might explain why I saw a 2 bed going for £200,000 in that building a few months back.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

(Yes Kieth as a mewling sub is my new bit)

This is unfair on mewling subs.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Borrovan posted:

I don't know about you guys but if this carries on much longer I might start to doubt that Keir Starmer is 100% the shrewd political operator he was sold to us as

It's just pathetic. I doubt there is a single part of him that would change how he's done things.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

DO NOT quote me tomorrow if wrong

You are far far too late for that now mate.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

An utterly contemptible move. Just utter poo poo from someone so desperate to open a parachute that he's managed to open a window.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Who is this Jenny Chapman person and why are they so poo poo at piloting Starmer around?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gods Bones.

I think I can officially call time on the idea of Starmer being an intelligence agency asset. If he is MI5 is so loving angry at the moment.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think that if you just did the opposite of what Starmer decided to do you'd have a pretty effective means of being a political savant.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

JordanKai posted:

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1391337934729748480

Looks like the Labour Right has cracked the code. It's the unions that are holding Labour back.

:confused:

Big: "We lost because YOU were all weak" energy.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Very unfair to chaos cultists to compare them to mandelson.

"We need a new leader, this one is dead"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'd never believe that the leadership response to these election losses would be doubling down on attacking the left but the evidence presented by this weekend indicates that yes, they absolutely are that stupid and shortsighted lol.

The thing that boggles me is that they appear to be doing this to anyone left of like akehurst. If you are going to purge you need to do it one faction at a time. Instead this is just incompetent flailing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Who is Paul Williams?

Also, why is Mandelson still doing anything of note? It seems somewhat obvious that Labour may well lose again, and badly, in the near future.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The guy who just lost half labour's vote share in hartlepool.

The sheer morbid incompetence is loving mind blowing.

It's reaching beyond favour currying and into outright self abuse.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's just pathetic. The Labour Right have proven themselves even less capable than the left and are going to continue down this damnable pathway for as long as they can because they are, ultimately, feckless.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of people have their identities built around truly pathetic and contemptible things and absolutely cannot handle the concept that people might have better ones.

You don't need to post about me like I'm not here!

But yeah, it's just sad for the kids. I can't understand anyone being so committed to being an arse to people.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Rustybear posted:

What she could have done in those situations is a different matter but I'm also not hugely impressed by some of the most powerful politicians in the country perennially claiming their hands are tied as is convenient.

Must admit part of me is getting more and more irritated when people go "sorry we can't do [good thing] for [complex reason]" but "Oh we can always do [bad thing] because that's what we can do!" I'm starting to worry that seeing complexity as apriori bad is bad for me though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Then what is your advice? What method is there for talking to people? Because this might be stuff we can agree on, but acknowledging that "I alone cannot do this and I don't think there is anyone coming to save us" isn't defeatist if it's an accurate read of a situation.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Might I raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpKN-U1-bWk

Also, sometimes I do feel a little cross when my housemates talk about "only" earning 25,000 a year, whilst I am here on about 18,000 for the last 2 years and was on 15,000 for the 7 years before that in London.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 12, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Breath Ray posted:

have you considered joining the civil service

I don't think I am smart enough. I also quite like working with the general public for the most part.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Brilladelphia posted:

There are many roles in the civil service which are public facing, as my department is, and I can also confirm first hand that intelligence is by no means a limiting factor judging by many of my colleagues (also Bugman you come across not only as intelligent but also a really good person, I'd gladly have you on my team. Definitely consider applying if you find a role that sounds up your street, the civil service is great to work for in my experience)

Thank you.

What sort of roles are there in the civil service? And do any of them help folks? Currently in the heritage sector and... well things aren't looking too good for us at the moment.

A good cat.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I, of course, would never ever do such a thing.

-Freud Intensifies-

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

We have mice occasionally, but I don't like the idea of killing them, they just run around and squeak at things.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jesus christ.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh no. I can't imagine putting down something that kills in days. It feels unsporting.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

We had trouble with rats coming into the pharmacy upstairs from the shop next door, and the guy who came out put down glue traps. loving brutal. It did make them leave but gently caress.

Not a fan of glue for rats, will admit to that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

As a heavy sleeper I was fine with the mice. It was when one of them was sat on top of my slippers and looking very sad that... well it's hard to want to see them hurt.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Another rubbish opinion piece in the Telegraph about the heritage sector.

The head of DCMS everyone:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2021/05/15/time-end-elite-dominance-heritage/

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Missed this one somehow. Of course I don't care about my employer and the billionaire who bought us out a few years ago. I care about my immediate colleagues, and about me not getting yelled at by some middle-aged shitstain who thinks howling 'but you said it would be here on Tuesday' will somehow make me able to produce out-of-stock medication out of my arse. I care about getting the job done so the elderly, vulnerable people I supply the meds for don't end up with nothing. This sucks and is a way the company is taking advantage of our compassion but it's not easy to ignore. I'm so close to burnout. If I could survive without this loving job I would kick it into the sun.

I'm sorry to hear this Hopper. Can't offer much advice, but sending hope!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Cheers JB. I'm grumpy about it right now but I do like the actual job. I would just like it if everyone above the store manager would fall into a lake.

That's very similar to me in general. Our new director isn't horrific at least, even making some good "progessivey" noises. You keep safe though bud,

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I work at a cultural institution and we just re-opened and it is utterly kicking my rear end at the moment. I've had maybe 25 minutes to sit down throughout the entire day, running around making sure stuff is sorted, helping out and so on.

I also found out that the reason a cafe on site is not open at the moment is because the outside contractor made a load of people redundant at the start of the pandemic before furlough was a thing and the stupid bastards haven't been able to rehire anyone. The fact that some of the management team seemed to support the company for doing this is very much sus to me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mr Owl posted:

I can't help but shake the feeling that with covid meaning a load of workers went home and then brexit making it unappealing for people to come back, anyone trying to hire back up to full strength for hospitality is about to get a rude kick up the arse.

Oh absolutely. The upcoming lack of staff is going to utterly gently caress the cafe. I feel bad for the workers still there, but gently caress the people running it.

It does mean I now have a moral reason to not buy sandwiches from them at least.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There is a nostalgic part of my brain screaming that losing the BBC means losing the best source of new comedy, but I don't think that's been true for a long time now, with the exception of some of the straight to iplayer stuff.

It's not been true for going on 15 years at this point, and all the weirder stuff started on radio anyway.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It was also a lot of visiting sex workers. The Rakes progress shown above was meant to show "loosening moral virtue" or whatever the gently caress but sex work has been a major outgoing for the aristocracy for centuries.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Cefte posted:

Marriage a la mode, surely?

gently caress your right.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Yeah basically what I was getting at was that the OP video sounds more natural and conversational because that's how he was performing it. The accent might be more authentic but it seems pretty unlikely that it would have actually performed like that originally.

But this in turn is asking for authenticity by asking for the "original performance". We are never going to be able to reach that because the gulf of years kind of prevents it.

Also, having done history and worked in customer service at a historic "attraction" I can tell you for nowt that an awful lot of people want their own views regurgitated to them like a baby bird screaming at mum.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The ideal solution, of course, is milk plumbing. I will not be taking further questions at this time.

I demand that this post be placed on trial in the Hague.

Disgusted of Cheshire.