Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I can finally vote for Plaid without caring about the fact they have no chance of winning. Thanks Keith. I'm really Welsh at last.

Interesting facts about Welsh: Backpack in Welsh is 'bacpacio'

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SpicePro posted:

Holy poo poo;

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/54856068#/

I mean with this one you can at least stay overnight and I assume there is camp toilets, but STILL.

guys i think this country has some problems

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"Jacob Rees-Mogg, leader of the House of Commons, wants the package of 25 to 30 bills in the Queen’s Speech to deliver key sections of the Tory manifesto."

There go the workers rights.

"Including a planning bill to clear obstacles to housebuilding and broader development."

More lovely new builds everywhere that are somehow even worse quality than they are now, and an admission that the housing market is basically the one industry we have left.

"Under the bill, all councils in England will have to designate land either for development or preservation."

Developers will now be able to pressurise ailing councils to sell off public land. The home counties will of course designate everything for preservation while northern councils are going to have to sell off any green land they still have.

"The business department has just completed a public consultation seeking views on how the arrangements can allow the government to make strategic interventions in industry."

Again, this'll be the absolute ramping up of things like fire & rehire and zero hours contracts for anyone doing the actual labour if they threaten companies bottom line at all.

"There will also be bills to create a series of freeports: low-tax zones featuring simplified planning rules that ministers have said will serve as hubs for high-value manufacturing and innovation. Sceptics have cited research suggesting they tend to shift jobs and investment around the country, rather than generate new business."

I'm more concerned that they tend to attract massive amounts of organised crime.

"Business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng will meanwhile sponsor a bill to establish a “high risk, high reward” scientific research agency that was the brainchild of Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s former chief adviser."

JOIN ME MR BOND IN THE INNOVATION ZONE

No really, we are probably going to render large chunks of the country uninhabitable because Cummings heard Chernobyl is now cool.

"A procurement bill will give small and medium-sized companies greater opportunities to secure government contracts, and allow the public sector to buy British when the deals are not subject to international trade rules."

Well if there's one thing the pandemic has proved, it's that only good things can happen when the government are allowed to hand out contracts with zero oversight.

"The bill will reverse key aspects of a contentious 2012 shake-up of the NHS which handed greater operational independence to the health service and sharply increased the role of competition."

This is the only one that seems good? If they're reversing the role of competition that's good. It depends what they're moving the greater independence away from though.

"An environment bill, carried over from the previous parliamentary session, will include creation of a new environmental watchdog for England and fresh commitments on biodiversity."

I fully expect it to be a trump style department for companies to bribe so they can do whatever the gently caress they like, filled with climate deniers. Also carried over from the last session means 'we couldn't get it through before but now we have a majority we're forcing it through.'

"Other measures are expected to liberalise rules on gene editing in agriculture, a cause long promoted by Johnson as one of the supposed benefits of Brexit."
Tough on bees, tough on the causes of bees.

"Home secretary Priti Patel has secured a slot in the Queen’s Speech for her strategy on tackling violence against women and girls, which will focus on improving the low and declining conviction rates for some sexual offences, especially rape."

I cannot wait to see what draconian insanity they try to hide behind this, safe in the knowledge that anyone trying to criticise it is going to get brigaded by mumset.

It's probably not worth investigating this poo poo this closely tbh. Like I don't feel I know anything more about how bad everything is but I do feel worse anyway.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
hmmm well we agree on the important bits

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its a bit lol that Oxford were in part convinced they needed to do this and that they would be lauded internationally for their expertise. and actually, whilst still evidently a capitalist bullshit drug, its the closest thing to a decent attempt at humanitarianism and their only reward is to have the world say its a deadly blood clot drug and total poo poo lol.

I mean they were taking on the US pharma industry. They're pure evil. Lol that people still think its not them doing everything they can to sink the AZ vaccine

its cool watching even the EU go 'yep we'll tie ourselves to US pharma companies for billions, forever.' Because lol if you think corona is ever getting cured or eradicated now. Guaranteed income every year motherfuckers

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah that's an awful probe. I can't tell whether d&d is just overreacting to trolling from cspam and so seeing lots of the word 'liberals' and just freaking out, or if that mod truly thinks american liberals are an actual functional leftist force

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
that mod just probed someone else for suggesting libs are useless centrists who don't agree with evil but are very much against stopping it

I never really agreed with cspam about how bad d&d is, I remember when it was full of libertarians and their puppy avatars. But apparently centrism is back in a big way. Real 2010 vibe going on.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

- The voters of Hartlepool are thick, ignorant bigots who deserve to be poor

Probably, also probably and no they don't

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Noxville posted:

Labour should not double down. They should triple, or even quadruple down

https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/1390586566121250817?s=21

that... that doesn't make sense in his own context? Did he forget a rebuttal?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
there seems to be gathering pressure by the media and both major parties to just get super regressive. Like I feel they're going to try going back further than we ever thought. But at the same time the younger people aren't going to suddenly accept it. Like is the plan to just smash both sides of the culture wars together until all the young people act and vote exactly like the old people? Do they think this is going to happen?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Both sides are as bad as each other in that the labour left need to split like yesterday. There’s no saving labour this time. We need a new party.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ash Crimson posted:

To swallow labour's piss or poo poo is to swallow keir starmers life blood

one for the history books

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
glad i got the AZ vaccine which has milder side effects except for the really big one which is you become a ģ̸͇͛̈̽̂̎̓ǫ̸̧͔̙͎̜̗̳̎ͅḑ̵̛̣̠̮̣͈̙́̏̚̕ ̸̣̹͕̮͉̉͂̽́̆̎s̵̨͕͙̺̻̽̅͒͗̑̓̅̒͋h̴̗̪̯̭̭̤̩̥̬̠̜̼̰̤̆̅̈̓̚͝ͅą̴̧̛͔͉̬̣͚͔̹̱̳̹̳̟̗͑̄̄͐̈́͒̊̽̈́͂̓͂͘p̸̧̝͔͎̯̦̻̠̝͙͉͔͛̍͛̏̌ė̷̹͎̰͔̊͊̎ḑ̵̧͔̭̞̲͇̻͔̳̐̀͒̏̍̌͘͠ ̷̧̞͔̱̘̭̲̣̗͉̮͈̱̮̓̉̇̿h̷̼̥̠̼͇͙̲̰͔͇͔̲̿̈́̅̓̆́̽͂͗͗̐̇̕͝͠ǫ̵̖̭̼͇̝̼̘̌̓̊͂̉̉̅̇̑͂̕l̶̨̡̩̮̼̺̳̱͗̃̎̀̋͌͝ͅë̸͕̱̪̰̟̬̹̳̺͕̭͇̟́̽́͑͆͗̄ͅ when coming into contact with a variant

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
well yeah, the hard right party was always going to be able to attack from the left more than the centre right useless centrists can attack rightwards. How would they even do it? Just go full nazi?

It's why trying to emulate the Tories for more votes is such a stupid concept. People already have a tory party. They're happy with their tory party.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Szmitten posted:

I thought everyone under 40 was supposed to be be offered alternatives to AZ now.

what alternatives?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
So can this voter id stuff be pushed back against or is it a definite at this point?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
so is it just us 'vulnerable' fucks and the 50-65's that got given the AZ vaccine that might be pretty poo poo against the Indian variant?
That's one way to get rid of us. Ah well.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I really hope people (ok me, I’m talking about me) aren’t going to potentially die because of arbitrary supply of different vaccines. They didn’t have to rush. They could have maintained restrictions until we all got the ‘good vaccines’. So now we have the potential situation where everything opens because ‘people are vaccinated’ but one vaccine does little and they get super infected because no one else cares anymore. Murdered by postcode lottery.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i just wish we had some information either way on whether the other foot is dropping and the indian variant is going to gently caress everything up, or if this is just a hiccup

the media wants me to be terrified at all times because its good for business, I realise this and yet I cannot deny this is making me anxious.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

Massive protests in London today accompanied by pages of chat about humanely killing rats and mice. Never change.

who the gently caress cares

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Makes sense. He's after places with no safety regulation or worker protections. In a bad month this is some of the most immediately dire poo poo i've read. The first of the vultures is about to land.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

God I hope Elon Musk goes to the UK and stays there forever. That'd be such a wonderful thing to happen.

there's no way our dour little country could sustain his giant coked up brain. We don't even have wendy's

he's not going to raise a child in a country that has even the shadow of a national health service

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what set of the Swansea riot?

All the articles i've read are very uninterested in saying why it happened. So far I can work out step 1) vigil for 19 year old that died ......... step 4) RIOT

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
apparantly the police turned up, saw there were more than 5 'youths' throwing stuff and drove off and never came back. Apparently there the street was full of journos and the police never returned during the time they were there. That's what i've read anyway. Definitely feels like i'm missing an entire side of the story.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate that great portions of the nation are poor as gently caress and without hope but there has to be more to it than that or most of the country would be on fire all the time.

i grew up in a poor working class environment and never once thought about setting a car on fire. More fool me i suppose. I certainly don't think this was just VIOLENT THUGS but I think trying to blame this all on economic status risks labeling every poor person as some kind of mad animal, always on the edge of just losing it and rioting. I don't even know if the rioters knew the kid that died. And if they liked or dislike him, or if that had anything to do with anything? It probably didn't help that everyone hid. Including the police. A whole street just gave up. Would they have been beaten or killed if they'd have actually confronted this seemingly random group? I doubt it but who knows. The way everything was confined to property damage implies to me that they were exploiting the situation of every adult, and the police, just giving up.

Being poor sucks. The pandemic has kicked me back towards an era i'd rather not revisit. But it's not really a reason to go madmax. The police suck poo poo but the reality of this is that we've got to think about how, from a leftist perspective, we deal with this poo poo. Because all signs point to increasing hardship, at least in the near future. Which means communities have got to get use to dealing with their own poo poo. Which also potentially means getting acid in the face or stabbed. No i'm not hopeful about any of this tbh.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
problem is what do you call it? If you're trying to keep the public informed you can't call it varient 1N1BC-1UC1F3R. They'll never remember it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
trying to get sex arses on the cheap

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
as always the blame lies with the system. If I was Johnson and I could just keep trying till it worked i'd do that to. What kind of idiot wouldn't? And what kind of idiot designed the system to be so abusable in the first place?

When you think about how climate change may doom us all and we're at a super critical point just as the worst people the world over seem to be scoring flawless victories, the thing that may have killed us all was the idea that the people in charge wouldn't ever abuse the systems of government so we don't actually need rules or punishments. Oh no, what are you doing? You can't just do bad stuff and keep just being leader like nothing happened!?

bessantj posted:

Was doing some gardening this morning and saw a magpie chase down and just murder a smaller bird. Real "drat nature, you scary" energy.

it was either very hungry, it caught a fledgling and it was being opportunist or it was gonna feed its young with the giblets. Possibly all three.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Depressingly what's increasingly going to happen is the bad boats will take advantage of retreating ice coverage to take the northwest and northeast passages, something shipping companies are extremely excited about without even pretending to know the meaning of the word "irony" or "hubris". Also I like trains as much as the next goon but even a couple of trans-Eurasian lines running at full chat wouldn't be able to cope with the throughput just on the Shanghai-Rotterdam route, let alone the rest of the traffic heading between China and Europe.

e: The long-vaunted plan to upgrade the Trans Siberian and Manchurian railways to high-speed freight *would* take a lot of strain off air freight in that direction at least, but that doesn't put a dent in shipping to the US.

There is actually a large range where the ice can retreat and it doesn't mean civilisation is going to be destroyed. Problem is there's a lot of inertia in the changes so hitting the breaks to try and min-max the ice retreat but not destroy the biosphere is impossible. It's the oceans. Even if we somehow stopped warming the earth right now it'd be thousands of years before the oceans respond to the trend.