Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The only natural progression is to become the Joker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

XMNN posted:

wtf is "role authority" and would this anonymous source like to expand on how Keith possesses it

also loving lmao at the shocking revelation that a politician needs policies

There's a real tendency for centrists to invent meaningless new terms and act like they're supposed to be important to justify their dumb poo poo they have no real excuse for

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The same story as the rest of the world; the centrists have become fanatical true believers in what the tories are well aware was just ad copy to be discarded when it's no longer useful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everyone but the fascists gets absolutely nowhere with flag-loving, we've seen it over and over. Even the loving Democrats have started to maybe accidentally understand that the right is going to call them communists no matter what they do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As the boomers die off their Gen X kids are inheriting their houses and are definitely replacing them in the political landscape, except now they're also all for inherited wealth and influence.

I would not be surprised if British boomers have the same rate of surprising their kids with triple reverse mortgages on top of giving away all their money to nigerian scammers and alt-right talking heads and whatever's left goes to pallative care.

keep punching joe posted:

The boomers will never die, eventually they'll find a way to somehow being John malcovich themselves into the heads of whatever comes after gen z.

We call that a Get Out now, though oddly enough those are implied to exist in the same universe.

That said though, I can't think of any finer punishment for a boomer than to stick them into the head of a post gen z child.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ThomasPaine posted:

I think the hegemony of neoliberalism really has given us all brain worms to the extent that 'just in it for themselves' is the default position, and it seems almost naive to think otherwise. And definitely that's true of so many people, even most people. It takes work to examine your own ideological shortcomings, and that's something lots of us don't do out of apathy, ignorance, or because we lack the skills to do so effectively. It's easy to forget, but the truth is some people do genuinely believe in something bigger, even now. That those people are immediately called out as being cynical and just using it all for optics is one of the most depressing examples of how ingrained neoliberalism is in all of us. This explains completely why the media establishment was completely unable to comprehend Corbyn, or why he was so popular with some people - hence all the lazy 'cultist' poo poo. The idea that someone might actually genuinely have an idea about something grander than 'making money' or 'looking important' was totally alien to them, so there had to be something untoward happening under the surface.

This is pretty much the liberal reaction to the left in a nutshell, all the #Resistance types being confused and angered by leftists going 'What's their angle?' They don't even understand the difference between grifting and activism, since progressive causes have been so thoroughly co-opted and hollowed out by woke capitalism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Would Tony Blair be the Prime Minister who briefly appears in the books or was that before?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What musicians and athletes get paid is usually a tiny percentage of what the managers and sponsors get, anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grey Hunter posted:

God this. it seems that every film that does well at the box office is still "rubbish". You know, sometimes I don't want to be intelectually challanged, I just want to see people wave glowing sticks around, mechs fight giant monsters or Dwane Johnstone make wizecracks while running through the jungle!

The funny thing is that they still manage to screw that up, see the last Star Wars. You give people brainless schlock they ask for and they hate it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

crispix posted:

in my experience there is actually a non-negligible proportion of people who are so disruptive when added to any group of people that paying them to not work is a worthwhile service to society at large

Instead we put them in charge of everything

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's also a 3D brawler that's still popular and has a meta

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Starting to think these people just felt personally called out by Lord Farquaad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Starmer doco be like

https://youtu.be/ck1hRTkUtsM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

Fffffuck I'd forgot about that. What an awful movie.

E: on the trailer surprise point though, I will pretty much completely avoid any trailer for a movie I'm looking forward to. Less about being spoiled on specific plot points (which happens all the time), but trailers will usually use some of the most beautiful/dramatic shots in the movie, and I'd rather just experience that for the first time in the context of the whole movie, rather than have a voice in my head going "oh yeah this is cool, just like in the trailer".

Basically I wanna get to see DUNC in the cinema without previewing any giant sandworms

Doesn't help that trailers are in the business of both spoiling and misrepresenting a movie, and running the dumbest jokes into the ground.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

jabby posted:

Shrek is good. The animation looks pretty dated now but out of all the possible criticisms the Guardian went with "it looks bad compared to today's animated films" and "it doesn't respect the original incredibly dull, played out and sexist fairytale it parodys".

I need to read the original Shrek book, every page I've seen is like a god tier shitpost

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shrek gives the middle finger to Disney by saying gently caress your beautiful aristocrats in love bullshit, a couple of ogres can love each other and a donkey and a dragon can gently caress and be happy together

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot make sense when you realise landlords are the lowest class that the ruling classes are willing to consider people

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dabir posted:

What makes you think they don't know exactly what they're doing?

Using antisemitism to bludgeon the left while leaving actual jewish people vulnerable is a two-for-one as far as they're concerned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This strikes me like the 'cardboard models of buses' in that he's caught scrambling for some kind of 'what do normal people do in their free time?' excuse and makes up a hilarious lie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The real fun part is going to be Starmer not giving a straight answer as to what his own name is

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mycomancy posted:

Hi, microbial synthetic biologist and assistant professor of biology here. Yes, you are correct: giving a contagious, airborne virus a highly heterogeneous population of vaccinated people is just about the most perfect way for said virus to evolve into a vaccine-dodging variant, if such a thing is possible genetically. The US and the UK are playing Russian roulette with these stupid "Open'R'Up!!" policies, and it scares the holy hell outta me.

Nurglite cultists, I'm telling ya.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Poetry is loving dead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Keep pushing Starmer on it long enough and he'll probably accidentally admit to it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

With kids, you do give them agency. But I part it has to be earned. Not out of some desire to control their lives.
But because they literally don't know better and are relying on you to teach them how the world works.

And that's not their fault, they don't emerge fully formed or have all information downloaded into their minds. They need to have things taught to them, and as a parent you need to do a fine balancing act between not letting them become dependent on you/giving instruction/not smothering their sense of self and dozens of other areas.
With kids it is trust, but verify.

What I was getting at earlier is less "most parents are doing a bad job raising their kids" and more that more people are having plants and pets instead to fill voids in their lives.
Between a news story I read this week about people spending huge money on plants*, to the numbers of families who bought dogs during Lockdown (and often at mad puppy farm prices**.)

Came up in the boomer thread that a shitload of parents of especially boomer age just don't teach their kids things, and don't seem to believe in teaching. They just go straight from 'You're too young, you'll just mess it up' to 'You're old enough to know how to do this yourself' smoothly, if not outright refusing to teach anything (besides political indoctrination) and calling it off at the slightest excuse.

The 'innocent child' is just giving your kid a full-time job cosplaying a Hummel figurine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bible quotes are nothing more than ad copy to Christians. Jesus is a mascot. It's like saying the Disney corporation doesn't live up to the ideals of Mickey Mouse.