Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.ft.com/content/fe5eb32a-aefc-46e4-836f-b0f2a7c2ef85

quote:

Boris Johnson has approved a new legislative programme of more than 25 bills that will implement planning reform and a new state aid regime, as he seeks to flesh out his post-pandemic economic recovery plan.

The prime minister wants the programme, to be outlined in the Queen’s Speech on May 11, to deliver the meat of the Conservative party’s 2019 election manifesto and signal the start of a return to “normality” after Covid-19, according to people briefed on the plans.

The Queen is expected to confirm in her speech — to be delivered by the monarch in person in a Covid-secure ceremony at Westminster — Johnson’s ambition to reform the cash-starved social care sector.

But there is still no sign of details of the prime minister’s “clear plan” to tackle the issue that has dogged successive governments. “I’d be surprised if the Queen’s Speech contains anything concrete,” said one person briefed on the legislative programme.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak, whose March Budget included plans to raise Britain’s tax burden to the highest level since the 1960s to help pay for the coronavirus crisis, is reluctant to commit to yet more public spending when he is still trying to control government borrowing.

Jacob Rees-Mogg, leader of the House of Commons, wants the package of 25 to 30 bills in the Queen’s Speech to deliver key sections of the Tory manifesto, said people familiar with the plans.

Among the measures will be legislation intended to boost economic growth and narrow regional inequalities — Johnson’s “levelling up” agenda — including a planning bill to clear obstacles to housebuilding and broader development.

Under the bill, all councils in England will have to designate land either for development or preservation, as the government aims to hit a national target of building more than 300,000 homes a year.

A post-Brexit state aid regime is meant to enable the government to be more “nimble” in supporting jobs.

The business department has just completed a public consultation seeking views on how the arrangements can allow the government to make strategic interventions in industry.

There will also be bills to create a series of freeports: low-tax zones featuring simplified planning rules that ministers have said will serve as hubs for high-value manufacturing and innovation. Sceptics have cited research suggesting they tend to shift jobs and investment around the country, rather than generate new business.

Business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng will meanwhile sponsor a bill to establish a “high risk, high reward” scientific research agency that was the brainchild of Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s former chief adviser.

A procurement bill will give small and medium-sized companies greater opportunities to secure government contracts, and allow the public sector to buy British when the deals are not subject to international trade rules.

A health and care bill will carry out NHS reforms to strengthen the health service after the pandemic.

The bill will reverse key aspects of a contentious 2012 shake-up of the NHS which handed greater operational independence to the health service and sharply increased the role of competition.

An environment bill, carried over from the previous parliamentary session, will include creation of a new environmental watchdog for England and fresh commitments on biodiversity.

Other measures are expected to liberalise rules on gene editing in agriculture, a cause long promoted by Johnson as one of the supposed benefits of Brexit.

Home secretary Priti Patel has secured a slot in the Queen’s Speech for her strategy on tackling violence against women and girls, which will focus on improving the low and declining conviction rates for some sexual offences, especially rape.

An animal welfare bill, championed by Johnson’s partner Carrie Symonds, will also be included in the speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

No one notice

quote:

An animal welfare bill, championed by Johnson’s partner Carrie Symonds, will also be included in the speech.

?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I recall a little ditty about building on sand.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

This must be an incredibly silly question and one that has been asked and answered a million times before but, say the world wakes up tomorrow and no one eats beef or diary. What happens to all the cows? The farmers certainly aren't going to feed and care for them out of the kindness of their hearts, are they?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I remember years ago there was a campaign called "Spoilt for Choice" that urged people to spoil their vote by writing that on the ballot rather than not voting or voting badly.

I always do that when the choices are shite.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

There was a little booklet sent out round my way explaining what the voting was for and who the candidates are, etc, but that was weeks ago and I'm surprised I remember such a thing even happening, let alone what was actually said in the booklet.

And it's raining,

And the voting place is 15 minutes walk away.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/gemmacdoyle/status/1390685738195464192

The problem is we spend too much time fighting the hard left. To remedy this we need to fight the hard left even more.

I didn't see it mentioned, and if people read the tweet thread they will know and perhaps already do, but this person lost their 65-year Labour safe seat to the SNP in 2015.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Perhaps she steals ornaments.

KIETH WHERE IS THE LITTLE CHINA PIG THAT WAS ON THE MANTLEPIECE SHES BEEN HERE AGAIN HASNT SHE?!?!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

crispix posted:

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGS

CAN OOOOOOONLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

BEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

now i found you

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My Bradford factor was hilarious by the time they medically retired me 😄 🤣

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Guavanaut posted:

Can you get unbranded trainers now? Does turning up wearing four striped Addisababa trainers off the market count as Adidas or unbranded?

Yes, you can, and all the kids in the playground will point and laugh at you in the playground cos you can't afford decent trainers.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

If Boris must be Boris why not call him Alex?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I use the Blockada app on Android. It is a system-wide VPN thing that blocks ads everywhere.

It's alright.

You'll have to search for Blockada using your preferred internet search engine as it's not in the app store.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Llarry the Llabour Llama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I was thinking to myself them two ain't gonna do poo poo and then there was more than two!