Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56955084

quote:

Brenig Osprey Project partners woke up this morning to the worst possible news. Last night, at 21:42, someone took a chainsaw to the osprey nest and felled it... The protected bird of prey laid its first egg a day before the nest was felled...

I can't really describe why this one has got to me. As I get older I find myself wanting to check myself for terrible regressive tendencies, not to become one of those "kids these days" types, sharing social media post about how people are definitely hiding carpet tacks in dog food in the park, and all the other odd things my otherwise wonderful and politically astute aunts and uncles have fallen into. I do hate that social media - shares video "someone was mean to a cat, so we should hang him" morality - the lazyness of feeling distantly superior to someone, everyone hunting the web for a sense of moral superiority. I do of course feel disgust at the cruelty, but I personally (you may feel different) do not think animals are more important than humans, and will always donate aid to the homeless before any donkey sanctuary. I usually worry about the person, and think "drat, what messed you up that badly".

But here, yeah, these rare creatures laid an egg the day before, people are watching excitedly on the webcam, the joy of nature and trying to amend to the species for the deaths we humans have caused - and some bastard thought : nope, can't have that, carefully conspired in the dead of night, and cut it down with a chainsaw. I genuinely wish for something horrible to happen to whoever did that - and for whatever reason my immediate thought was - "bet it was some 4chan prick doing it for online clout" - in reality it was probably just a cranky local landowner, but maybe my brain really is becoming poisoned by too many birthdays.

I need to go take a walk in the sunshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
So what stage of pasokification are we on? Will the labour right be up for another round of: 'We gotta get more racist', or they gonna keep on keeping it bland. Tune in next time on, No Corbyns!

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Nice to see the Labour right tradition of pathological and recursive "trot" hunting remains alive and well.