Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Only chumps post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mix. posted:

I'm technically responding to a comment from the last thread, but Caligula Effect's switch port added a bunch of new content psp persona1 style in that it introduced an entirely new route where you side with the bad guys early into the story and they become your party instead of the normal route's party and it's apparently a completely different route tonally and thematically, which is cool and i wish more jrpgs did poo poo like this.

That's in the PC port too! It's not uh...ENTIRELY a different route that will require you to play through twice. You basically get access to the bad guy's hideout that you can go to at any time and initiate social links with them, which will also prompt little gameplay segments sometimes. Honestly, you don't do much fighting as the bad guys, though, until the end of the game. There's some interesting crossover between the good and bad guys though, like you'll learn that certain characters have met in real life. But yeah, if you do all their links, at the end of the game it will let you choose who to side with, but before the final fight the routes are exactly the same and you can (and are kinda expected to) do both. Some of the new routes are pretty good and some are very weird, but a lot of the links, for as questionable are they are, are way more compelling than any of the confidants in P5. One that really threw me for a loop was the one where you hang out with a peeping tom pervert "comic relief" guy who you learn got sent to the dream world due to the guilt he felt for not being able to implicate a murderer he caught, and by the end of the link decides to turn himself in and go to jail so he can testify against the murderer

The game does a lot of "here's an anime trope character" and then expands on what sort of life circumstances would cause someone to act like that

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 1, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The new Pokemon Snap looks neat but the original game was like what, a few hours long? Think Ill probably just watch some vtubers play it, this seems like a perfect example of a rental game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

dioxazine posted:

Might pick up Craftopia, but unsure right now.

When I tried craftopia when it first released in beta. Other than being BotW with crafting, it's also got shrines that are much more similar to MMO dungeons where sometimes itll be a combat dungeon, sometimes a puzzle/escape room, sometimes a hoverboard race, and at the end you get cool loot, of which there is a ton. Shrines are the main way you get weapons, and all the crafting stuff is mostly for progressing to more difficult worlds to unlock better shrines for better weapons. It seemed really neat but I decided to wait until a more complete version to sink more than like 8 hours into it

also apparently the game is still full of unity store assets so it doesn't really seem to have come very far from a polish standpoint

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 1, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

.hack is a tricky series because in order to get to the parts of the story that are actually cool you have to veer out of the games into some of the anime/manga/novels. Like, the ultimate joke about The World is "why would all these people play an MMO that can cause you to go comatose and not just play something else" is answered in the extended universe: the universe of .hack happens after a worldwide crisis where the internet is completely locked down and a very small number of people are allowed to make website, and so The World is like, literally one of if not the only games

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

I am not cool enough

Sounds like something someone who was about to get possessed by an ancient egyptian leader would say

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It seems neat but 60$ uhhhhhhhh, especially having just bought Rise and Nier and Nocturne comes out this month too

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I thought Code Vein was too easy and also I didn't like the maze component to every single level, especially the Anor Londo knockoff you have to go through three times. Some of the mechanics are good alternatives to the souls formula like character archetypes you can swap between at any bonfire, but I almost never died and beat almost all bosses but the first on like my second try

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zil posted:

In my area they are only at Walmart, but would have to look at their product search to about near you.

https://www.hersheyland.com/home/where-to-buy.html?ps-sku=00034000402939

Yeah for my area its Walmart-only too

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wanna see where Miwako lands on an official poll

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I take it back

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

So it's presented as such but Sonic is actually Nicky from the future. Once Nicky turns 16, he's gotten so good at running that he can pass the speed of light. When Nicky turns into Sonic, that's just Future Nicky going back in time with light speed to take his place.

So exactly like nutty professor

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright I braved a trip to Walmart to get some of these key lime pie Kitkats and I wish they sold them in larger quantities than the little 1$ pack, they're pretty good

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I had an epic account because of fortnite before it became a battle royale and I only collect free games on it, never spent money on anything on the platform

and I'll be honest, I probably would not have bought any of these games if they weren't given out for free either

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I get 10$ coupons for the Oculus store but never use them. Man, the Oculus store is EMPTY

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ive never really been that into chocolate-based candy (or really any candy for that matter) but any international student I've ever met always mentions how the chocolate here is awful. Feels like America is the Wal-Mart of the world

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wuggles posted:

cause of you motherfuckers I looked for key lime kit kats today

have to explain to my fiancée that I’m looking for the candy what all my internet friends said was good

This is exactly what I told my coworkers today before I left and now I can tell them Wednesday that theyre good

Also, how the gently caress did Baby Bottle Pops get through enough corporate gatekeepers to become a thing

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I don't think I could handle the game in VR though...

I played Subnautica VR and had to quit almost immediately because the constant motion is horrible oh my god

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I can only imagine what sort of nightmare it must be to work there behind the scenes considering how many people keep leaving but looking at what they actually upload every day. Like, aside from recording the Podcast and streaming games sometimes, I'm not even sure what they actually do the rest of the day, but it has to be pretty lovely

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mad Wack posted:

yeah they started to slip after ryan died, then the acquisition sped it up, and i think the split to gb and gb east killed them

just watch any of their old stuff and compare it to now and its obvious they are suffering and not happy with their jobs anymore

Yeah I am not sure how much of them leaving is due to acquisition stuff but I think every year at GOTY time it becomes clear that they don't really care about video games in anywhere near the same capacity as they used to. Like I don't think the old team gets together after this to make a new video game site, I think they just kind of do completely different stuff

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mkvltra posted:

Sometimes the theories that players come up with about missing plot elements in games are more interesting than an actual, intentional narrative

Silent Hill 2

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mkvltra posted:

Elaborate- I've never played anything from that series, I'm only vaguely familiar with some of the lore elements but now I wanna know more about Cool Spooky Game

So there's two kinds of Silent Hill "theories" - the first one is something really elaborate and crazy but is just a total reach from anything that is actually in the game. The second kind of theory is one that's presented as elaborate and crazy but is actually just something the game outright tells you. The funniest example of the latter is the very lengthy discussions about how a certain boss represents a certain character's dad who abused her. The clue that people use to figure this one out is that character saying "That monster is trying to abuse me...just like my dad!" and then you find a newspaper article where a girl killed her dad in the room where you encounter them both. An example of the former is the pretty prominent theory that Mary's dead body is in Jame's trunk at the beginning of the game which is incredibly prominent but doesn't have basically any in-game evidence to support it and is never alluded to or foreshadowed at all.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The other thing that really grinds my gears about Silent Hill 2 is that SH1 is 1. significantly scarier 2. also has a way more interesting story and surreal component to it just because they were willing to leave some thing unanswered. SH1 has a ton of weird components to it that people are willing to just let be part of the game's atmosphere, or admit that it kind of just didn't make sense. SH2 had the documentary where the devs basically said everything in the game has a hidden meaning and every decision was made on purpose and that if you just think hard enough you can solve the game's secret. Which, like, is complete bullshit because the times when the game does do foreshadowing it's super obvious and hamfisted. It feels really disingenuous on the dev's part to say "well you just didn't get it" to the obvious plot holes or how things weren't explained. Like, the fake elevator game show isn't interesting because it ties together the lore components, it's cool because it's weird and scary.

An example of this sort of thing that I do like is Room 237, which is a collection of fan theories about "The Shining," but without Kubrick chiming in and being like "uhhh actually this is all true." It's much more of a celebration of the theories themselves, as they go so far as to collect even the most out-there ones

ymgve posted:

Also there's the batshit ones, like that the entire game is a metaphor for circumcision

This one is hilarious and rules because everyone calls this guy dumb and stupid but there is exactly as much in-game evidence for this as the Car Trunk theory which literally everyone who is into SH2 believes

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

haveblue posted:

If you mod the game you can noclip into the car trunk and see that there's just a pile of clothes in there, which you'd think would immediately disprove the theory but actually that's evidence that they must have planned for the car trunk to open at some point so it must be special and important

Don't forget the confirmation tweet from one of the devs that says that it's there. Sorry, wait, the dev didn't say the trunk, they said the backseat, that you can see into during the game and can see with your eyes that its not there.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

sharrrk posted:

its where you go to get a pretzel

The mall in the town I work in is the only place to get official Icee-brand Icees which sucks because those are significantly better than any other slush at any gas station or store and it's at a pretzel place

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ill be real I was kind of disappointed when I realized that was what it was and not a FF-themed RTS game

Speaking of which when is that Pokemon MOBA coming out

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Is Unbeatable made by the Muse Dash team or is that just a common rhythm game framing thing

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Katty! posted:

the okumura fight in persona 5 royal sucks so bad lol, this was nowhere near as obnoxious in the base game

wuggles posted:

I'm right before this and I'm not looking forward to it

Here's how to win it for free

crank the difficulty up to max, exploiting weaknesses does like 3x damage so you instakill almost every enemy in that fight

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wuggles posted:

now you listen here jack

Compiling a list of quotes from both candidates that are worse than anything the villain of Persona 5 says and running into a wall because my notebook can only hold so much

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A reminder that Persona 5's primary political critique is aimed at the Japanese LDP, and for all the evil they've done, it pales in comparison to the apocalyptic garbage elementals that incarnate 99% of American politicians throughout history

A significant amount of the LDP's evil is the direct result of American intervention, even!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshio_Kodama

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

Don't know how accurate Andy Ruins Everything is, but he did a bit on modern art where the main gist of it is that skill doesn't matter, it's about finding the right people to help you get in on the money laundering scheme.

Not exaaaaaaactly true but close. The main grift with modern art is that it's a product for rich people. The structure of what we now think of as the modern art industry mostly comes out of NYC in the 60s-70s where rich people would try to larp as humans by going to these parties of 20-somethings who were making art for fun and would try to fit in the only way they knew how - by spending millions of dollars hosting galleries and becoming patrons for the kids who were throwing the parties. That's also part of the reason why art critics and dealers are such a big dealer in the NYC scene, because rich people just want to be seen as cool and don't actually know what is cool and what isn't so they mostly just prop up whoever gets good reviews. Jackson Pollock famously got into a huge fight with his good friend for giving him a middling review. I forget how long ago it was but NYC was looking to pass a law about disclosing the market value of artwork and everyone shut it down immediately because, like I said, it's a grift to extract money from rich people.

The money-laundering component of the art world is more going on with museums and school donations where the overall investments are much higher

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think there was only one or two wing missions in Assault and they were pretty short, usually they're the intro to the rest of the mission. Also that game had some really cool hosed up parts. Like, hey, remember when Pigma was straight-up killed and his body was turned into a spaceship like some sort of Lynchian horror movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isw5h6ilJ4s

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright Im getting 1k back from my tax return and so once I start my new job it might be Pokemon Snap oclock

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I really liked Octopath but not for any of the reasons that the game really feels like it wants you to. I like it in the same way that I really like FF12 and Soul Nomad for having elaborate methods of getting gear where you start with a piece of string and then trade it for a paperclip and do that a million times and you end up with endgame equipment in chapter 2

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ometeotl posted:

I started Danganronpa V3 today and I'm not sure I approve of the twist the end of the first case just threw at me.

Dammit this reminds me I need to play V3 for the twists, the entire reason for which I played through 1 and 2

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wuggles posted:

Alright thanks I did it, after three legitimate tries it was clear that I was going to have to go back out of the palace to prepare and I just wasn’t having it

Persona 5 Royal on Merciless is actually probably the easiest version of any Persona game. All fights end on the first turn, and you always go first because of ambushing enemies. Plus, you get 1.2x EXP and Yen so you're always ahead of the level curve and can spend your cash doing chain fusions. The 1.2EXP also occurs when you use Ryuji's skill in Mementos to instagib enemies. P5R is the first RPG in a LONG time where I've gotten to level 99

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nmkvy9QpA

I love this video

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Hololive girls have taught me its okay to get mad at video games and slam your desk. I feel seen

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dammit Redbox doesnt rent video games out anymore do they, huh. And Gamefly is 10$ a month? drat dude. I wanna play Pokemon Snap but it sounds like a rental for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

bra-less wife brings me a sandwich? you're on thin ice

bra-less wife brings me a sandwich with chips? alright now we're getting somewhere