Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I demand Dan Hibiki be added to the thread poll.

Here's a repost of my recommendations for the current Steam Sale.

Lurdiak posted:

Yakuza Zero is at 75%, Kiwami 1 and 2 are at 50% off. Other games in the series have smaller discounts.

Dragon's Dogma is 70% off.

Vanquish and Bayonetta come in a bundle at 78% off.

Okami HD is 50% off.

Metal Gear Rising is 75% off.

Sonic Generations is 75% off.

Dead Rising 1, 2 and 2: Off the Record are 70% off.

Dragonball Xenoverse 1 and 2 are 85% off if you want to play an MMO where you are a saiyan.

For some reason Downwell is 67% off, and Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition is 76% off.

If you enjoy retro games,

Classic arcade beat-em-up collection Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara is 67% off.

Mega Man Legacy Collection is 60% off, and Legacy Collection 2 is 50% off. Both Mega Man X Collections are also 50% off, although I would advise against buying the second one as it collects some wretched games. And finally the Zero/ZX collection is 34% off and collects 4 very good games and 2 ZX games.

The Castlevania Anniversary Collection and Contra Anniversary Collection are 75% off.

Sonic Mania and its DLC are 75% off. The Christian Whitehead Sonic CD port is 75% off as well.

The Disney Afternoon Collection, which collects a bunch of Disney-licensed Capcom platformers from the NES (and adds save states and a rewind button) is 67% off.

Ducktales Remastered is 75% off, although I think the Steam version has some significant bugs for people with Nvidia cards.

The PC port of the original FF7 is 50% off.

Crazy Taxi is 85% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy! is really cute, definitely the best Mystery Dungeon I've played so far :)

Alpha is a pretty cool Chocobo.

Look at that adorable mug.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Distinct lack of Cadbury products on here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The creme eggs are the starter item in the cadbury world! There's so much more.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 4, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok for no reason it's now time for me to review an 8 year old game.

I bought Castle of Illusion (Starring Mickey Mouse) in the current Golden Week Steam sale. I'd never played the original Genesis game before, or the Land/Legend of Illusion Master System games it's a follow up to. I had played the Mickey's Magical Quest series on SNES, which features similar but subtly different gameplay. I checked out a longplay of the original for comparison's sake.

First of all, this game is quite pretty (except for the storybook cutscenes which feel a bit half assed). It's full of vibrant colors and it has great lighting, which is often a problem in 2.5D games. There's often interesting background elements and even fun teases at future sections of the stage going on in the distance, and everything looks and feels appropriately cartoony. The choice to make the titular castle a proper overworld was a good one, and it fits in with the modernization of the gameplay in general. This game has a lives system, and it's an old school platformer in design, but it's very forgiving: losing a life doesn't make you restart the entire stage, but rather kicks you back to the most recent checkpoint. Although it does uncollect all the collectibles you got before that checkpoint, which feels like a fair price to pay. I never game over'd, but I can only assume it just kicks you back to the overworld, as the game has a Mario 64 style progression system that saves cleared stages and collected collectibles every time you defeat a boss or clear a level.

Speaking of collectibles, adding them to this game was a brilliant move. The basic points-giving gems of the original game are turned into collectibles in each stage (75 each) that are used to gate progress along with the big gems you get from beating bosses. There's also 2 separate types of collectibles that grant costumes, and a third type that unlocks statues in the overworld. These rewards aren't amazing but they feel like something tangible to work towards. Appropriately, trying to get every collectible in a stage makes that stage much more difficult in most cases, which means there's an appropriate range of challenge for different skill levels. It also adds a lot of replayability to the game, as does the optional Time Attack mode in cleared stages. The game still tracks your score, so that's another thing you can try to improve when you replay stages.

Unlike other games from the 2010s, the occasional shift between 2D and 3D gameplay feels seamless and the simple controls adapt beautifully. I never once thought about the camera, despite some sections getting pretty ambitious with how it spins around Mickey to convey a sense of action, which is pretty impressive coming from Sega. The level design is very different from the original game, but every memorable setpiece is preserved and expanded upon. This is a good thing in my view, as the original game's setpieces seem to be its greatest asset, with its platforming design being very run of the mill (to be charitable). The art direction is very strong and reinforces the theme of each area much more than the original game, adding bells and whistles and details everywhere. It turns certain difficult areas from the original into optional challenges to get collectibles, while others are simply fun transitional action sequences. There's a very cinematic-looking tower climb section to the final boss that wasn't in the original game at all, and it's a very neat touch.

The narrator who adds color commentary to every stage isn't really needed, but it adds a sense of story to a pretty abstract platformer, which might be something that helps keep the attention of younger players. The music isn't really anything to write home about, with most tracks being chilled-out orchestral-sounding remixes of the original game's tunes, but it's certainly not bad. And some bosses have musical cues to their attacks, as do some sudden stage hazards or cinematic transitions.

There are a few strange bits in the game, the first of which being that, much like the original, it just sorts of gives you 2 gems in stages 4 and 5 for no real reason. In the original game that feels like a compromise they had to make as they ran out of time to add 7 stages, so it's mildly disappointing that this game doesn't come up with a more elegant solution, or simply more stages. But there's so much expansion on the original game's half hour adventure that it's hard to complain about lack of content.

Another strange thing, and my only real complaint about the game, pertains to the bosses. The first two bosses, while quite easy, change their pattern a lot as you damage them and the fight progresses. But the bosses of stage 3, 4 and 5 are much, much simpler, with only 2 patterns each that they bounce between predictably (although said patterns do get mildly more difficult as it goes on), which kind of ends up making them feel easier than the first two. The final boss has a pretty complicated pattern and is a decent challenge, and stages 3, 4 and 5 feature decently difficult platforming, so these toothless mid-game bosses stick out even more. The boss of stage 4 is especially egregious, as he only needs to be hit 3 times on top of having a very simple pattern even a toddler could learn.

This is a very minor ding on an otherwise pretty fun game, though. If you want to see what an old school platformer transformed to fit modern sensibilities done right is like, this is a good purchase, especially on sale. I sure wish they'd remake some of the other titles in this series, especially the one where you can play as Donald as player 2!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 4, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not scared of the ocean and I'm not scared of big things, but for some reason big things in the ocean really upset my lizard brain, even in cutesy games like Beyond Good and Evil and Wind Waker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Actually those sky dragons in BOTW are pretty intimidating too, even though they mostly don't do anything to you. Maybe it's the idea of a gigantic thing that can sort of appear anywhere and move freely in any direction that makes me feel under threat. Like it's a nightmarish concept, like the earth splitting open.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Its only natural with how many people work on games; if anything the people who are household celebrity names in the game industry are few and far between.

One top name gets lots of credit (and in Epic's case it was CliffyB) and everybody else is basically invisible.

Like, how many directors of cinematography can you list by name from Hollywood? How many can the average movie-viewer? A few big name directors are known (Speilberg, etc.) but otherwise...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hmmm. I was really enjoying Yooka Laylee and the impossible lair, but the titular dungeon lacking any checkpoints whatsoever makes it quite tedious to play through, even with all the bees unlocked to give you extra tries. It's a very strange decision to make a game that has tons of optional ways to make your gameplay easier but to gate the ending behind a dungeon that is checkpointless, incredibly long, and fairly difficult, and also removes your ability to use any of the tools you've earned to make stages easier. The idea of an unfairly hard dungeon that you can try to clear at any time in the game but gets easier as you progress through the story is a very good one, but the execution is not quite there.

Zelda Breath of the Wild did a similar concept with Ganon much better. If you get every single power up and clear every dungeon, Ganon is not particularly difficult to defeat, but also you've spent the entire game mastering your abilities, and he follows the same rules as everything else in the game. Here it's more like if you were dropped into the Ganon fight and all your hard earned equipment disintegrated and he had an incredibly large health bar and 7 phases, but also you get 20 fairy bottles. That is not what I signed up for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Lost Juugment

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arzaac posted:

IIRC its pretty much all selling them as bioweapons and it must work pretty well because they got fancy laboratories

Also fwiw, Resident Evil 1-3 are all effectively the same outbreak and it does pretty effectively sink Umbrella as a corporation. The later Resident Evil games focus on smaller scale outbreaks and things that are pretty hard to tell that they're even zombies, really. Much less bad publicity, you know?

It's insane to me that Umbrella was ended offscreen in between games. The closest we get to seeing their actual downfall, the main villains of the original series, is one mission in the aptly titled Umbrella Chronicles where for some reason Chris and Jill drop down at one of their HQs decked out like marines and start shooting.

It's like if you never got to fight M. Bison in Street Fighter 2 and then 3 started and was like "Yeah he got arrested and got the chair".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Barudak posted:

Im on this side, I loving loved it. No big gundown at their headquarters, just global governments and shareholders going "gently caress this".

But we didn't even get an FMV cutscene of that happening! I would've been ok with that.

Also I think the series never had a villain nearly as interesting as a faceless megacorp that everyone except the protagonists trusts, so it's kind of a waste. Code Veronica and RE Zero already changed them from being like, Bayer, to being some weird anime dynasty nonsense, and then they just poofed away in between games, to be replaced with a series of increasingly underwhelming Metal Gear reject villains.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah the dildo sword that goes up people's butts, while funny, is a liiiiittle too much like simulating sexual assault for me.

Lurdiak posted:

But we didn't even get an FMV cutscene of that happening! I would've been ok with that.

Also I think the series never had a villain nearly as interesting as a faceless megacorp that everyone except the protagonists trusts, so it's kind of a waste. Code Veronica and RE Zero already changed them from being like, Bayer, to being some weird anime dynasty nonsense, and then they just poofed away in between games, to be replaced with a series of increasingly underwhelming Metal Gear reject villains.

Additional note: This is not me dissing the Tall Lady. I just think Tall Lady and her friends could still exist with Umbrella looming in the background. Possibly even as an antagonizing force to both the protagonists and the villains of this game, if you want to mix it up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I got one of those big iced capps with the huge whipped cream dollop on top but they forgot my straw so now its getting all over my facial hair.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I beat the last boss of impossible lair but then they made me do a metroid style escape sequence and I died. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Of course since it's a video game this systemic problem gets solved by a heroic band of adventurers beating up God which is not likely to be the real-world solution

It's not? drat it!

*tears adventurers wanted ad in half*

I'd even found where the dream world intersects with the realm of the creator, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

While the combat system is pretty good, Octopath traveler is very dire in its writing and localization, and its failed stylistic experimentation, disjointed story structure and unnatural sounding dialogue end up making the entire thing feel very sterile and boring. I am not looking forward to this studio's next game at all.

Oh it has voice acting too, and it is very bad.

E: The dungeons suck too, almost forgot.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 9, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLuURlWhcgs

:supaburn: My friend's video is premiering!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/keithjohnstack/status/1392102194183278596

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/tweeterisawful/status/1392529527033765891

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I played through sf64 dozens and dozens of times as a kid, can’t say that I remember any of the music

Everyone remembers this theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjwSy7R-syg

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

did these people also do the smash themes? i havent heard this song in ages and its whole vibe seems smashy

The smash bros Star Fox stage uses an arrangement of this theme. Koji Kondo is listed on the soundtrack for both games but I have no idea if he did any compositions or if they're just crediting him for the original tracks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mkvltra posted:

True. What are some Cool Games that don't wear out their welcome by the second act / 80-90% mark?

Resident Evil Remake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I made a video game this weekend.

You can play it if you want.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBHNp2yADg0

Get it here!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo I am just now learning about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v49ewBiBxgc

Please do not pay to see this film, it is a scam film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What do you mean by scam film

It is the laziest, cheapest possible execution of the concept. Nic Cage never speaks, the film is shot horribly, there's barely any costumes or locations. It is essentially selling you the meme concept of Nic Cage fighting evil mascots and the trailer, but the actual film does the absolute bare minimum to meet that requirement. It's kind of like an Asylum movie, but more humorless. It feels incredibly cynical, like they know the concept is such a meme idea that people will watch it just based on the idea, and that idea is the only thing it offers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/Lord_Mo/status/1394853674430705664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

not to rankle any freddy heads itt - but isn't five nights at freddie's a really lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage, not-scary game mostly know for being associated with lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage youtubers who believe screaming is a form of entertainment? what's missing from this film that you think the proper FNAF movie will cover?

I don't particularly care that it's copying FNAF, other than that game's time in the limelight was years ago. That does not factor in to why I think it's a cheap scam cashgrab piece of garbage.