Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

All that poo poo and it didn't save Bibi's rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Bennett is a major figure in the ultranationalist Israeli right and Lapid is a figurehead of the dwindling Israeli left. I think just about everyone in Israel is sick of Bibi and just wants to kick his rear end out after 12 years in power. Then Bennett’s coalition will turn their knives on Lapid and push ahead with implementing their settler colonialist project in the West Bank.

Nah, you know, there are a lot better spots in Jordan, and nuclear powers illegally annexing their neighbors is *so hot* right now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Drake no: West Bank

Drake yes: East Bank

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Crab Dad posted:

Sounds he was a paratrooper for a hot second.

Anyone can be a paratrooper once.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hell yes

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57296803

quote:

Mr Nguyen said the new hybrid variant was more transmissible than previously known versions, especially in the air. He said it was discovered after running tests on newly-detected patients, online newspaper VnExpress reported.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Basticle posted:

I know literally nothing about my grandfather's time in WW2 (as he unsurprisingly never talked about it) other than he was a machine gunner in Europe.

what the

My grandpa had a similar career, he wanted to be a paratrooper but had a bad football injury that kept getting him rejected, he joined and got booted like 4 times until he finally did a real training jump and instantly destroyed his knee.

Lucky for me and my mom since apparently his unit got hosed up during d day

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

piL posted:

Anyone can be a paratrooper once.

:nms: failure-to-deploy pelvic MRI from a friend of a friend at Bragg https://i.imgur.com/T6ydVrL.jpg :nms:

Last I heard he's back on AD

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 30, 2021

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

shame on an IGA posted:

:nms: failure-to-deploy pelvic MRI from a friend of a friend at Bragg https://i.imgur.com/T6ydVrL.jpg :nms:

Well, that's certainly not how that rolled off the assembly line. :stare:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Never forget getting summadat grunt poo poo

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's hard to feel bad for Andy "Kill List for Atomwaffen" Ngo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

About half the South Island is underwater :/

https://i.stuff.co.nz/the-press/canterbury-top-stories/300320388/canterbury-flooding-in-pictures-heavy-rain-and-rising-floodwaters-hit-hard

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/DrPaulGosar/status/1398335859166912514

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Insurrectionists don't get to be remembered

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Let's get ahold of my old platoon-mate, see what she thinks of that tweet.

Oh wait, she was raped and murdered on LSA Anaconda in 2005.

Hmmmm.....

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

People surviving failures to deploy always blows my mind. A guy from my unit burned in last month, failure of main and failure of reserve but I guess they slowed him down enough. Dude walked away a little worse for wear but nothing broken or sprained, though a bit shook up and fed up with repeatedly recounting his brush with death.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
It's essential that everyone stand for the national anthem but attacking congress is forgiveable if you're white and it's politically expedient.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Iain posted:

Not sure if this is right the place or the resources thread to post this since it is limited time, but Ancestry and Fold3 are offering free military records searches until Monday.

https://go.fold3.com/freeaccess?xid=2690

I found my grand fathers WW2 registration card which was pretty neat. Godamn we were both 20 when we joined :eyepop:

Adding into the thanks pile. I used it to discover the location of my uncle's gravesite in Holland--which I hadn't known existed. I assumed when you burned in with a B-17, there wouldn't be a recoverable body, but I guess I was wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Two groups we don't Memorialize: Confederates and Treasonous Insurrectionists.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Two groups we don't Memorialize: Confederates and Treasonous Insurrectionists.

I think you’ll find we actually do memorialize them a lot!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

drat I need to find great-with-numbers-granddad's discharge from the union army again

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Iain posted:

Not sure if this is right the place or the resources thread to post this since it is limited time, but Ancestry and Fold3 are offering free military records searches until Monday.

https://go.fold3.com/freeaccess?xid=2690

I found my grand fathers WW2 registration card which was pretty neat. Godamn we were both 20 when we joined :eyepop:

Thanks for posting this. I knew that my Grandfather served in both WWII and Korea but I was still in HS when he passed years ago so never got to talk to him about his time. What I found interesting what that he was induced through Jefferson Barracks, MO, where I ended my time last year in the Navy Reserve drilling.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Never forget, though, the National Archives fire of 1973:

The losses to Federal military records collection included:

80% loss to records of U.S. Army personnel discharged November 1, 1912, to January 1, 1960;[2]
75% loss to records of U.S. Air Force personnel discharged September 25, 1947, to January 1, 1964, with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.;[2]
Some U.S. Army Reserve personnel who performed their initial active duty for training in the late 1950s but who received final discharge as late as 1964.

None of the records that were destroyed in the fire had duplicate copies made, nor had they been copied to microfilm. No index of these records was made prior to the fire, and millions of records were on loan to the Veterans Administration at the time of the fire. This made it difficult to precisely determine which records were lost.[2]

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My last name is either way more common than I thought or I have a humongous family on my dad’s side.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I couldn't find anything on my grandma from WW2, though it seems like a lot of their records are draft cards so women are probably less documented.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

I think you’ll find we actually do memorialize them a lot!

Doesn't mean we should.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Never forget, though, the National Archives fire of 1973:

The losses to Federal military records collection included:

80% loss to records of U.S. Army personnel discharged November 1, 1912, to January 1, 1960;[2]
75% loss to records of U.S. Air Force personnel discharged September 25, 1947, to January 1, 1964, with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.;[2]
Some U.S. Army Reserve personnel who performed their initial active duty for training in the late 1950s but who received final discharge as late as 1964.

None of the records that were destroyed in the fire had duplicate copies made, nor had they been copied to microfilm. No index of these records was made prior to the fire, and millions of records were on loan to the Veterans Administration at the time of the fire. This made it difficult to precisely determine which records were lost.[2]

My estranged Grandfather claims that he was injured while serving during the Korean War, and yelled long enough and loud enough that his records were lost in this fire that he collects 80%+ disability. The family claims this is complete horseshit and a scam. He received decades of backpay.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He’s trying to say she’s equal to MLK by quoting the U2 song right.

Please tell me that’s not what he’s trying to do.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hobbesmaster posted:

Which makes the cap police James Earl Ray

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Carteret posted:

My estranged Grandfather claims that he was injured while serving during the Korean War, and yelled long enough and loud enough that his records were lost in this fire that he collects 80%+ disability. The family claims this is complete horseshit and a scam. He received decades of backpay.

Your grandpa is Don Draper. Neat

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

...huh. I never watched Mad Men.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

This is the guy whose family took out campaign ads against him and more recently ads saying he should be locked up for treason. He skipped the COVID relief vote in order to speak at the white supremacist CPAC alternative.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Carteret posted:

...huh. I never watched Mad Men.

He assumed someone else's name who died in Korea and lived a double life after that etc.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

That Works posted:

He assumed someone else's name who died in Korea and lived a double life after that etc.

Bonus

show spoilers because I don't want to get yelled at
The Dudes wife found out and was cool with it

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

:drat: this owns, got more info?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A slight touch of temporary celebration for Texas - Texas Democrats temporarily killed a really, really bad election bill. Republicans hosed up by working out the details too late, leading to Democrats stalling/filibustering and a walkout killing the quorum and the bill expired.

https://twitter.com/AmyEGardner/status/1399218234314969091

It'll be back in a few months, but worth celebrating for a bit.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Things looking not good in Vietnam:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57303306 posted:

Overall, the country has registered just over 7,000 infections and 47 deaths, but the latest spike accounts for more than half of the total number of cases.

They are testing the entire city.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Maybe we should have some kind of investigation in the events of that day, if you want justice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

A slight touch of temporary celebration for Texas - Texas Democrats temporarily killed a really, really bad election bill. Republicans hosed up by working out the details too late, leading to Democrats stalling/filibustering and a walkout killing the quorum and the bill expired.

https://twitter.com/AmyEGardner/status/1399218234314969091

It'll be back in a few months, but worth celebrating for a bit.

If only there was some comprehensive federal law on voting rights that could be passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/RenanBernardo/status/1398981792875622401