Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brains
May 12, 2004

traitorous piece of poo poo mike flynn now getting paid speaking gigs to advocate violent overthrow of the US government
https://twitter.com/MC_Hyperbole/status/1399129297240084489

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

:drat: this owns, got more info?

https://www.wweek.com/news/2021/05/...he-nines-hotel/

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Bunch of cult leaders died in a plane crash outside Nashville the other day. You might have heard snippets about this, bunch of "church leaders" dying. Well they ran a Jesus flavored weight loss scam company.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/05/30/gwen-shamblin-lara-plane-crash/

Choice quote:

quote:

Critics have compared the church to a cult, pointing at remarks made by Shamblin Lara about thin Jews in concentration camps and denying that genetics play a role in obesity, according to the Clarion Ledger.

“How in the Holocaust did you have all these people getting down real skinny? They ate less food,” she said in an interview with CNN’s Larry King in 2008, News Channel 5 Nashville reported.

Aaaand gently caress those people. Nothing of value of was lost.

Well, the plane was lost, I'm sure that was of some value, but definitely nothing it contained.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Ah yes, the Shoa diet.

What. The. loving. gently caress?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I wholeheartedly welcome some IRS folks nosing around their property for evidence of fraud or whatnot.

I nosed lightly around and saw where Gwen took her husband off the Limited Partnership last year. He was 8 years younger than her. Makes you wonder...

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The holocaust diet is the least of it, they also went to bat for some parishoners who tortured their 8 year old to death

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_v._Smith

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

One of the pilots had an expired medical and the other wasn't type certified for that plane, and they were on the way to that Roger Stone / Flynn rally. Just an absolute feel good story all around.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

One of the pilots had an expired medical and the other wasn't type certified for that plane, and they were on the way to that Roger Stone / Flynn rally. Just an absolute feel good story all around.

If god is real he’s sending all the right signals but somehow this won’t be interpreted as a message from god by even the most die hard Christians

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

brains posted:

traitorous piece of poo poo mike flynn now getting paid speaking gigs to advocate violent overthrow of the US government
https://twitter.com/MC_Hyperbole/status/1399129297240084489

Recall this loving clown to active duty and court martial his rear end. We’re treating these traitors far too lightly.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Recall this loving clown to active duty and court martial his rear end. We’re treating these traitors far too lightly.

I was just sitting here thinking about how the only way to stop poo poo like this is essentially censorship. You have to stop this stuff from getting put on blast because it’s dangerous. You can recall him but he’s already put this poo poo out there so the damage is done.

That sure is a can of worms though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Time Crisis Actor posted:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

I was just sitting here thinking about how the only way to stop poo poo like this is essentially censorship. You have to stop this stuff from getting put on blast because it’s dangerous. You can recall him but he’s already put this poo poo out there so the damage is done.

The can is open, the worms are everywhere.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

boop the snoot posted:

I mean, you’re right on that. He hasn’t techno done anything illegal yet, but there’s a bunch of UCMJ violations just from that speech alone.

Now, if he starts talking to some AD generals about his little plan, absolutely fry him.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I feel like the green/blue weenie would have no problem coming down on your garden variety retired e-6 to e-8 for an act of speech similar in character with a fraction of the platform, but I'm pretty sure Flynn is just gonna chud on until a critical mass of boredom sets in.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

US Berder Patrol posted:

I feel like the green/blue weenie would have no problem coming down on your garden variety retired e-6 to e-8 for an act of speech similar in character with a fraction of the platform, but I'm pretty sure Flynn is just gonna chud on until a critical mass of boredom sets in.

Well then, do I have a Mazda Miata to show you
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1399127545719758848?s=19

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Iain posted:

Not sure if this is right the place or the resources thread to post this since it is limited time, but Ancestry and Fold3 are offering free military records searches until Monday.

https://go.fold3.com/freeaccess?xid=2690

I found my grand fathers WW2 registration card which was pretty neat. Godamn we were both 20 when we joined :eyepop:

Just wanted to say this has been a good source of info for our family.

Found out the following:

Great Great Grandad's Civil War (Union) headstone request in the late 1920s and some pension stubs.
His brother and he were in the same company and the brother was noted as a prisoner of war. There was a family story of the brother being a POW, but now we have confirmation. That brother also refused a service headstone per family history.

Grandad's two injuries in WW2. He died in his 50s, so his sons never really got a chance to talk to him about the war. But, we were able to piece together a story about him being injured in a bombing raid in Italy with a hospital record from fold3.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Are they still making the Miata with the Fiat bodywork? Love that car

brains
May 12, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

you're approaching this like he's any old private citizen. he is not. he is a retired general officer drawing benefits from the very government he is actively seditious towards. he should be stripped of rank and benefits, at a minimum.

edit: this time it's one retired general calling for a military coup; next time, it'll be a dozen.

brains fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 31, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

brains posted:

you're approaching this like he's any old private citizen. he is not. he is a retired general officer drawing benefits from the very government he is actively seditious towards. he should be stripped of rank and benefits, at a minimum.

edit: this time it's one retired general calling for a military coup; next time, it'll be a dozen.

The damage is done, though. It does not matter one iota what consequences he faces. It would be like arresting Donald Trump at this point. He has already broken everything and if anything it’ll just give people more of a persecution complex.

The issue is the things these people are saying in the first place, not just the lack of consequences that they face for saying them.

Punish them, yes. But that’s just closing the barn door after the horses are out.

brains
May 12, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

The damage is done, though. It does not matter one iota what consequences he faces. It would be like arresting Donald Trump at this point. He has already broken everything and if anything it’ll just give people more of a persecution complex.

The issue is the things these people are saying in the first place, not just the lack of consequences that they face for saying them.

Punish them, yes. But that’s just closing the barn door after the horses are out.

i disagree. the lack of consequences is exactly how we got here, how the last coup attempt happened, and how the next one is gonna happen.

what's the solution here, then? in flynn's case this is some "yelling fire in a crowded theater" level of speech and just letting it slide indefinitely will only let him accelerate the next coup attempt.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Who would you report him too? Who would give a gently caress?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Some people give a gently caress

https://twitter.com/YVindman/status/1399347403724034055

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

brains posted:

i disagree. the lack of consequences is exactly how we got here, how the last coup attempt happened, and how the next one is gonna happen.

what's the solution here, then? in flynn's case this is some "yelling fire in a crowded theater" level of speech and just letting it slide indefinitely will only let him accelerate the next coup attempt.

boop the snoot posted:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Obligatory “Sorry Shim” post

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was asking with some seriousness- who would I report that to who would give a gently caress.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I want Tammy Duckworth to subpoena that rear end in a top hat and roast him over an open fire.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bulletsponge13 posted:

I was asking with some seriousness- who would I report that to who would give a gently caress.

like if it were, purely hypothetically, your former CO?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

More fuel for the Crenshaw site imo

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Making it illegal to yell "fire" in a theatre or "bomb" on an airplane is censorship. Censorship is necessary for certain situations, because people can be dangerous or straight up evil.

Saying "we should have a coup" or "we should kill/genocide group A" should be handled in the same manner. It's blatantly dangerous speech that is contrary to the entire point of having otherwise free-speech laws. Free-speech is supposed to allow people to defend their personal beliefs and policies, but beliefs and ideas which are inherently violent must be excluded or else, well, all this keeps happening.

So yeah, jail all the seditionists. It's actually the only answer, there's no fine that will stop them, they have to be shut up by enforcement of laws.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They'll just claim they were "only funnin'" with :troll: grins and cite the tongue-in-cheek Alaska and Texas secessionist movements as well as the Lost Cause "the South will rise again" bullshit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Orthanc6 posted:

Making it illegal to yell "fire" in a theatre or "bomb" on an airplane is censorship. Censorship is necessary for certain situations, because people can be dangerous or straight up evil.

Saying "we should have a coup" or "we should kill/genocide group A" should be handled in the same manner. It's blatantly dangerous speech that is contrary to the entire point of having otherwise free-speech laws. Free-speech is supposed to allow people to defend their personal beliefs and policies, but beliefs and ideas which are inherently violent must be excluded or else, well, all this keeps happening.

So yeah, jail all the seditionists. It's actually the only answer, there's no fine that will stop them, they have to be shut up by enforcement of laws.

My point is that once it is said, the damage is done. You can punish Flynn however you want, in the most devastating and medieval fashion you can possibly dream up in your most devious Hellraiser fantasies, but people already heard his message.

Shutting these assholes up after the fact doesn’t fix the problem that they have now created or added to. Keeping them from speaking at all, before they even have a chance to cause damage, is the only way out of this. There’s always going to be another loudmouthed rear end in a top hat with a bullhorn to shovel this poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Infrastructure weak

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Flynn has released a statement strongly backtracking for his remarks. Not that it matters, much. Nothing is going to happen to him regardless and we're going to slip further toward madness.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1399492568753360896

That's Lee Havery Oswald

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The username change is a nice touch

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it