Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My driving test in VA was 15 minutes of error-free driving in a 45 minute test period. My instructor was chill but loved to troll kids.

About 35 minutes into my test period I cracked and asked "how am I doing?" :ohdear:

Answer: "Oh, you passed the first time. I've just been enjoying the ride ever since." :troll:

That's loving great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What's up with the California guard?

https://twitter.com/steve_katz/status/1388890290270785538?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Happy 1 year anniversary to the Bay of Chuds dudes who stormed the beaches of Venezuela.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gideon_(2020)

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/venezuela-operation-gideon-coup-jordan-goudreau-1098590/

quote:

At the time, there was a widespread belief in Washington, D.C., that Maduro’s administration was on the verge of toppling and the Venezuelan “armed forces would flip and go right over to Guaidó,” says Michael Shifter, a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. Trump reportedly asked his advisers why the U.S. couldn’t just invade the country. In his tell-all memoir, former National Security Adviser John Bolton — a Venezuela hawk who supported increasing sanctions on the country —
claims that Trump told advisers that it would be “cool” to invade.

That Works fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 4, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I got dose 1 of Moderna 2 weeks ago, just had a (really) sore arm the night of and morning after. The night of I had a super stiff neck and light headache and I felt a lil more tired than normal.

https://twitter.com/ericuman/status/1389619082274742275

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lmao they'll never get a cent for Rudy.

https://twitter.com/maseisbigsexy/status/1389629243152158720?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cool poo poo.

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1389411338250715138

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lol

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1389734938971357184?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

My house I bought 2 yrs ago has jumped like 20% in value during all this but even if we were going to sell it there's literally nothing within 20 miles of us that isn't also selling at a massive increase.

e: \/\/\/\/ it's mostly NY / NYC or Boston people buying up RI places as 2nd homes or new WFH digs from what I've heard around here so far.

That Works fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 5, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/1389928748120780800?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wombot posted:

Something I wasn't able to find in the articles the last time this was in the news: Is there an increase in child-consuming capability between a Peloton and any other brand of treadmill?

Having seen a Tread 1st hand I would think no more than any other fairly well made treadmill.

It's basically just another treadmill with a tablet built into it running their app. I dunno if you can control the treadmill from the tablet interface itself or if you have physical controls on the treadmill.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Its a techbro thing, so the tabley is probably a web app to the remote server that actually controls the thing, so its harder and slower to turn off than a traditional treadmill

That would be unlike their bike which has direct physical controls outside of the app but yeah I could see someone doing that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Few people have come to know the “true” story of the origin of Sinko de Mayo. It is my pleasure to set the record straight.

A little known fact is that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The Titanic hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5 and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

ugh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Notahippie posted:

I lived in a house that had been illegally converted to a duplex, my landlord was a sweet old hippie who lived on the other side of the wall, and one day I came home to find a dude in a tent living on her side of the lawn. She had made friends with a homeless guy and invited him to live there, he was chill and we talked about Conan comics a lot and he gave me a lovely lockback pocket knife he found in a dumpster.

It turned out he smoked crack, but that wasn't why he left. It ended in drama and he was the one who moved out - he and my landlord got into a relationship but she was bipolar and they'd get into big arguments and at one point she shoved him and he moved back out to the yard then took off. He told me he was leaving because he was worried somebody was going to call the cops because of the fighting and he was worried that no matter how chill he was, if the cops rolled up to a fight between an older white lady and an (also older) black guy then it was going to go poorly for him.

This was in Austin, same city that is just about to pass a public camping ban. No discussion of what people are going to do or where they're supposed to go. It's just going to end up with a bunch of people in jail for being poor. poo poo makes me really loving mad.

As a former Austin resident this is such a peak Austin story I love it.

I miss living there when I did (15 yrs ago). No way in hell would I live there now but still a fun visit for a weekend I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Madurai posted:

My hatred of young people is matched only by my hatred of old people. How can we combine Logan's Run with Children of Men?

Have you watched Threads?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I spell out if I think it's something that can be a long email exchange(s) or a short zoom meeting and give 3 dates/ times I am free and leave it up to them usually.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I had similar lovely views when I was younger, because I was raised with the belief that good work ethic and determination will make you a millionaire.

It might. But you are starting 10 seconds behind the fastest sprinter in the 100 meter sprint.

What changed me was the Army. I watched dudes who should be rewarded, who should be having incredible success and early promotions, never get gently caress all besides a certificate for working 3- 23hr days in a row. That whole organization is "predicated" on pushing the best people forward, and instead I saw shitbags who knew who to talk to get ahead by playing politics.

If I was famous for some reason I'd write an essay or Op/Ed about how I am the American Dream personified and it needs to die.

My parents were poor as poo poo, I went to a doctor maybe 3x my entire life before going to college (where I had some meager student insurance). We lived in coastal Louisiana and I never had air conditioning, cable or a telephone again until I went to college. We mostly just lived trying to keep the power on (about 90% of the time) and keep the water connected. My brother and I hunted and fished for a fair bit of our food growing up and I worked (without income) for my dads automotive shop from the age of 11, often alone because he was constantly sick and could barely keep business open. My parents could have easily gotten government assistance but were completely brain poisoned about welfare and "didn't want a handout" so I had a couple of fractures heal up funny on their own and superglued a lot of cuts that should have had stitches, one sending me to the ER narrowly avoiding sepsis.

As things got worse I threw myself into school (most of my friends in similar situations chose drugs instead) to stay out of the house as much as possible because it was miserable and abusive. I was good at school and athletics and managed to get a full tuition scholarship to a college in Louisiana. I had to work summers and holidays in the oilfield to get enough money to pay for food and housing during the academic year and the tiniest unplanned thing could lead to being completely broke for months trying to scrape money together etc. Because I was there on a scholarship, and broke, I didn't gently caress around in college as much as I would have liked, but it kept me focused on being a good student so I wouldn't have to go back home again. At the end of college I flipped a coin and chose grad school in Oklahoma instead of Marine OCS.

From there I went through grad school and did well and got a good job for a while then went back for a doctorate and kept kinda moving onwards and upwards. Now I'm an about to be tenured college professor which is a somewhat hard job to get and I could be viewed as pretty successful. (I feel like I am and am lucky and happy).

I can think of about 50 different points where one minor misstep would have sent me back to working in the oilfield for pittance wages just toiling for 80+ hours per week. I fully believe that my story does not happen if I am anything but a white male. Because I took a moderately rough path I was alongside multitudes doing the same. I saw how each of them failed or washed out. I can say with certainty it never really had to do with choices they made and almost always because of circumstances beyond their control. Even I was about to live out of my car and become homeless because of an emergency dental visit and would have probably had my whole success derailed if not for a friend who loaned me $3000 literally one week before I was going to be evicted.

I've watched a hundred people better than me, smarter, more attractive, more charismatic, more gifted, better work ethics etc all ground to dust because of a misstep or chance. Hard work is necessary, but hard work doesn't mean poo poo when any random event can undo a lifetime of it in a second.

gently caress the American Dream.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Time Crisis Actor posted:

This is how J.D. Vance should’ve turned out

Knives Amilli posted:

very well said

:unsmith:

Thanks yall.

I am just living constantly low-key infuriated that people who have gone through this and come out good can look back and see it any other way than "well poo poo I got lucky, this shouldn't be this terrible" instead of what we have now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/1391445489816686601?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

1 bulldozer

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

My brain immediately thinks someone’s pistol fell out of their pants during an examination.

I'd bet this too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

He's running for Secretary of State in Georgia, a state that went blue and is actively undermining voting rights to change that.

Long story short: the GOP has to cheat and oppress to win.

And the Dems have to let them keep doing it.

Well trod ground in this thread but as I've said before if we don't ram through a federal voting rights act before midterms it's over.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Making a 3/5ths compromise joke and then saying it was, “too dark” for them is a hell of a thing OP.

:vince:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Went to the grocery today and every white male older than 40 was just wearing their mask dangling below their chin or some old dude in a rascal was just straight up not even wearing one. No one in the store will tell them poo poo either even though the routine announcement going over the speakers tells everyone to be masked, distanced etc.

Worst I've seen it since the beginning of covid so far. Ofc no one else was unmasked except them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ElMaligno posted:

We are dealing with COVID the same way we dealt with Vietnam.

By ignoring we had to do anything

Ah just how we treat mental health then.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1394053143835648000?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/RzstProgramming/status/1394099822047678465

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is this guy someone important? His quotes make him sound like a moron

Edit: oh he's some child star has been trying to jump into being a RW failed celebrity.

Legit thought he was dead

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1394390186147160068

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

This is good activism.

It is. They use satire very well for a lot of things.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

I do hope that since for the most of the US the idea of wearing a mask on the regular has had the glass broken, is kind of normalized now, that people will start wearing them every flu season. There was no flu season this year. At least anecdotally, every year our ER gets packed full of influenza pneumonia, but this year I don’t think any of us admitted a single case of it to the hospital. It is awesome how effective masks are in stopping the spread of a virus we’ve lived with for 200 years and kills a million people or more a year. It’s just awesome.

In actuality we will probably keep seeing conservative states get wrecked by viruses (flu, covid) year after year while Democratic states fare much better. I wonder what will happen to the general political demographics/landscape of this country after a few years of conservatives dying significantly more often than liberals. As more die they seem to just get more entrenched in their beliefs, and thus more die, and so on. I can absolutely imagine this affecting voter turnout in conservative states to the point where they’ll shift blue in a few years.

I live in the "technically" bluest state in the country and once you get 3-5 miles from any city of 100k people or less it's all Trump banners and old white people ignoring masks etc just about anywhere else.

I'm sure it's overall worse in the southern red states I've lived in before being here, but I am not so sure that you see as strong of a red state vs blue state divide with disease rates in the end. It will probably track more strongly along the lines of income and education as well as urban vs rural.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ah gently caress yeah my school just announced that they were going to make it mandatory for students without qualified exemptions to be vaccinated for the fall semester (which they have told us we have to teach in person).

I was prepared to raise some hell if they were going to put me in a full room without making the vaccination status mandatory. Whew.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

I remember growing up the stereotype for people as far gone as the QAnon cult was something kind of like Randy Quaid in Independence Day. They usually hung out at a bar. People mostly ignored them and would only listen for a laugh. And they were mostly harmless (because they were alone).

To learn that there are actually towns full of people like this who are actively influencing how the country is ran has been a wild ride, to say the least.

In 2006 Alex Jones was a joke who had a late night radio show in Austin. By 2010 he was national and in 2016 he was performing live in front of the GOP convention.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

Crypto is crashing hard across the board lol

:qq:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lmao

https://twitter.com/coinerstakingls/status/1394899051171106817

I'm hoping graphics card prices start coming down in crypto continues to do poorly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

poo poo going on.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1395063427366785043

I'll stop posting about crypto stuff if people want, just not tons going on and its moderately interesting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The same people who try to make the AOC news a big deal also think Matt Gaetz did nothing wrong.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So that Mississippi river bridge thing.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021/05/18/photos-show-i-bridge-damage/

quote:

New pictures appear to show damage on the I-40 bridge long before a shocked inspector called 911 last Tuesday to call for its shut down.

Transportation officials have repeatedly said they don’t know how long that steel beam has been damaged.

But after checking the metadata on newly discovered photos and video of the bridge, it looks like the crack was there almost five years ago.

Barry Moore and his son went kayaking on the Mississippi River in August 2016. Moore, an avid picture taker, shot plenty of photographs and recorded video of their adventure, including when they approached the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.

With the bridge in the headlines every day for the past week, Moore decided to take a deep dive into his photo collection to see if he might have any photographs that show damage pre-dating 2021. When he looked through his 2016 album, he says he was stunned.

“My jaw dropped,” Moore said. “Yeah, 2016. The crack is past halfway up that box beam. That really took me aback.”

WMC Action News 5 reported last week that two other Memphians found 2019 pics of the crack. The Arkansas Department of Transportation (ArDOT) confirmed inspector drone video from 2019 also showed it.

Moore says he sent his pictures to ArDOT and to the Tennessee Department of Transportation and received a “thank you” reply from ArDOT. An agency spokesperson declined comment about the 2016 images. It’s unknown right now if the 2016 inspector was the same ArDOT employee fired this week for problems identified with the 2019 and 2020 inspections.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Eej posted:

Different kind of crappy news, it was announced yesterday that Kentaro Miura the author of Berserk passed away earlier this month at the age of 54 from an aortic dissection. Berserk influenced a ton of modern media but what it does better than all the grimdark stuff after it is tell a story about people struggling and succeeding at surviving in a hellish, uncaring world by learning the strength of finding others to support you and the will to keep striving no matter what horrible things life throws your way.

People joke a lot about how in the past few years he took a bunch of hiatuses and spent his time playing anime games but the guy spent his entire young adulthood working on his story with multiple stories of him only having two days off a year or not seeing the sun for weeks at a time. I'm glad he found a work-life balance that worked for him in the end but I'm sad that what he put his body through for the sake of art and deadlines caught up to him regardless.

I just heard about this a couple hours ago and yeah its real sad. Dude worked with a bunch of famous artists and had a bunch of new ones work as his assistants etc, definitely had a big influence on the entire field.

Also lmao

https://twitter.com/r0wdy_/status/1395445416166977539?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Platystemon posted:

“continue”

:hmmyes: