Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

Is Texas fixing their power grid?

Shouldn’t people be doing something about that before more people die?

I made a big stink about how it’s going to happen again when it was going on and was told that I’m being insensitive to the situation.

Lmao, no. They didn't the last time this happened either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait this happened a previous time?

Wait why am I shocked

Yeah same exact thing happened in a previous winter storm. Same findings, no changes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

If people will excuse me dredging up an 11-year-old South Park episode: what the gently caress was the intended take away of "Captain Hindsight"? 'cause the tone seemed to me that they were criticizing the idea of critically examining failures and taking steps to avoid them in the future. Maybe it was just dumb contrarian "hurr-hurr what does this do for the people actively facing the problem", but that's still asinine.

Just because an onlooker doesn't have the ability to drop everything they're doing and jump in to fix the situation doesn't mean that they can't offer valid and important critiques of the failures that led to it. Hell, it's vital to do so as others have probably been ringing the same alarm bells for years and getting ignored. Amplifying that while the crisis is ongoing and shining a light on those who hosed up is essential to ward off the gaslighting of "well, no one could have expected this" from the people in power who were told again and again that their decisions might produce that exact outcome.

Also gently caress those people laughing at dumb Texans "getting what they deserve". There's a lot of good people held hostage to a rotten Republican government. Heaping scorn on them is counter-productive and reflects a lot on the character of those having a laugh at their expense.

anyway, that's my ted talk, thanks for coming. Please sign my petition to extend the weekend indefinitely.

ERCOT literally refuses to invest in their infrastructure in order to funnel money in the C suite pockets. Its a metaphor for just how bad the Free Market is at actually addressing issues.

"Captain Hindsight" is that ERCOT knows about the issues, and REFUSES to address them. If they actually gave a gently caress they would've done something after the 2011 Blackouts. They didn't. Its not worth offering more critique when ERCOT will do nothing with it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

White Castle is absolute dogshit and Popeyes has the better chicken sandwich. That being said CFA has the best fries followed by Wendys.

White Castle and Krystals are such trash.

Also Rallys/Checkers has the best fries.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Unfortunately, they over-expanded and hosed up quality. They are in contraction and posting losses for the last few years.

It was a really good high school and college place to grab food and hang out, but the last time I stopped at one on a work road trip, it was just extremely mediocre. Not terrible, but for the price could’ve had something better quality and for the calories could’ve had a delicious alternative.

Yeah, we used to like S&S then they cancelled nearly all the chicken melt options, so we stopped going.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

apparently rolling his own hardware was an idea to prevent "big tech" from "censoring" him for hate speech. Note there's no back ups in that order, nor firewalls. dude's server would have worked for about 30 fuckin seconds before getting absolutely wrecked, if it had ever gotten off the ground.

Also if he'd spawned a new hive of hate speech and insurrectionists then his colo would have just shut off power to his rack tile lol.

If there's one thing I can tell you from doing IT Engineering for 15 years, its that Conservatives in IT tend to cut a LOT of corners than most companies want to tolerate, and are embarrassingly bad at even basic security.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie Jay promised a brand-new social network to fight the Fake News.

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1389677896206221312

It's a blog with tweety formatting. Geocities-grade.

Because all the good coders are progressive/lgbt. Conservative sites have the worst coding ever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A Bad Poster posted:

You will see genocides happen before the suburban homeowner gives up their lawn.

Our lawn is mostly clover and various native plants now and we love it. Needs no extra watering and flowers nicely.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1389995401458167811

They're finally getting to the point - nuclear power is clean as hell and it's a bad idea to shut down reactors because natural gas is cheaper now.

gently caress yes, I kinda hope they find a way to basically re-open Indian Point too

Grip it and rip it posted:

People were always talking about the new plants that were supposed to be constricted in Ga. And the possibility of not having to work outages around the country. As far as I know, none of those new plants ever materialized, thanks to the financial crisis.

Thanks, Oil Industry who financially backed a bunch of eco-groups to protest and oppose nuclear power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

stackofflapjacks posted:

Do you have any sources for the second part of your post? I have a couple of environmental activist friends who are vehemently anti-nuclear and I would love to share that with them

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kensil...sh=7fe356cd7453

Its also worth noting that, especially in Germany's case, there's a lot of clear cut corruption where Russian Natural Gas interests helped push anti-nuclear and accelerated Germany shuttering their nuclear plants.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54462311

Greenpeace, who fudged a lot of the Chernobyl death numbers and cancer numbers, actually sells natural gas in Germany, their "goal" is to use green gas but in reality they are reselling 98% Fossil fuel gas.

Let's be honest: the Oil and Gas industry directly benefits from anti-nuclear stuff, so its not suprising they may be encouraging it.

Stravag posted:

So j&j shot conclusion- 16 hours of the worst cold/flu symptoms ive ever had, feeling better than before i got the shot now though. And the injection spot is still a little sore but no biggie. I fully support swat doctors with caduceuses on their backs sweep and clearing antivax hotspots with injection dart guns.

Edit: i was also 100% fine with the idea before we had a pandemic so v0v

I just got my J&J, so excited!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

It wasn't just stupidity. Russia bankrolled a massive influence campaign and subverted major political figures to push that shutdown through in order to make Germany ever more reliant on Russian natural gas. AFAIK there's been no impactful accounting or even introspection about that?

Basically, and their renewables program is basically stalled, they've admitted they are going to miss their emissions goals, meanwhile France next door is sitting pretty. At this point, Germany is also probably going to miss their goals for getting off lignite and don't even have an end date for Natural Gas yet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

The Arizona Fraudit is going to run into some problems.

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1390112757530251266

They have the space until May 14th, then the convention center kicks them out. Since the Arizona SecState is now on-the-ground watching this chucklefuckly poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a combined state/federal law action to halt everything based on how lovely it's being run.

They are, right now, trying to prove that the ballots were printed in Asia to discredit them. Its laughably bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

By looking for bamboo fibers in the paper. Really, really laughably bad.

Don't worry, Cyber Ninja Inc is on top of it!....

....I work in Cybersecurity and this is the stupidest name for a company they could possibly think of.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ahhhh, so this is that fever like side effects of the J&J...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CollinFisher/status/1390361390519521280?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Can't wait to Foxitis and Foxmania are official diagnosis.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Notahippie posted:

What kind of issue does he have with his case number? Is he some kind of SovCit numerologist?

He is most certainly mental and probably Sovcit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Most of the big media outlets have been assigning reporters to interviewing business owners that just can't find workers, or warning about inflation, or or or

and they missed the actual story because of course they loving did

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1390652644537012224?s=19

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1390649420887248897?s=19

this is really good because even though we're short jobs, we're starting to gain jobs again. Biden's plan is working for the most part.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

piL posted:

I think she does describe an interesting and worthwhile concern in that piece re: the contractualization of jobs and unaccounted-for labor, but I also think she should probably shut the hell up.

I think its important to remember that CEOS do little to none of the things she's listing too. She's entirely moaning about her staff over things she is not required or asked to do. It really is wealthy privilege.

Meanwhile: Cops gonna cop ACAB

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1390636142249324544?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Fed Grand Jury for Chauvin came back, they are pressing charges not only for the murder but Chauvin is facing charges for a previous incident where he choked and beat a 17 year old.

https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1390696396706271233?s=20

Chauvin's hosed. Even if he appeals, the Fed charges will stick, he's not getting out of this it looks like.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 7, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

maffew buildings posted:

I'm happy about this, but I'm very afraid the messaging from the party in power will be pointing at him as cops continue to be violent sociopaths

Truth. We'll see what Biden's DOJ does but at least looks like they are taking it somewhat seriously especially going after Chauvin, Louiseville PD, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
WFH is basically going to be a non-negotiable with Millennial workers now, at least majority time. Good luck putting that back in the box, Corporations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grip it and rip it posted:

That's probably fine with a lot of corporations - they get to outsource the expense of a workplace to their employees and present it as a perk.

I kind of hate WFH. I already have an immense caseload and always have a ton of poo poo going on. Now I don't even have my house as a respite, I have to go wander in the woods in order to get away from it all. Thankfully I live in rural Colorado so there are a lot of woods around, but I would love to just worn from my office again.

I love/hate WFH. I like having more time with my family, less time in traffic, but its also harder to brow beat teams into security compliance remotely. But its likely here to stay.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nick Soapdish posted:

Start of thread
https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1391225204815314945?s=20

End
https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1391239325594046466?s=20

I never was one to be really into ACW history but stories like this are always wonderful

Man, imagine if Abe had been a General and not a president, tenacious tall ox that he was....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Mike Rowe is such a piece of poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/rtyson82/status/1391554431209156614?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A Bad Poster posted:

Isn't horse racing just a way for rich people to legally launder money, just like art?

Basically, yes. Like most things Rich people do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Bing_Chris/status/1391796025392877571?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

All I can think of is that popular video of that Bitcoin rear end in a top hat running a gigantic gently caress off Caterpillar diesel power plant to run his container full of mining gear. Just sheer greed and stupidity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

85MW seems hilariously small for a coal plant that's what like 2 gas turbines or a couple dozen windmills?

Maybe they are not running high pressure steam generators like a normal power plant would, but yeah that's pathetic output for what would normally be 500MW coal plant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Thank god we replaced the Volvo with a TDI, we're both good on fuel and the diesels don't consume much.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
In response to the rocket strike, IDF blew up an apartment block.....its bad...

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1392172687624126468?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Rumors are that Secret Service hosed some Trumps and cucked Trump Jr.

quote:

In her new book, she writes that Secret Service agents reported that Vanessa Trump, the wife of the president’s oldest son, Donald Trump Jr, “started dating one of the agents who had been assigned to her family”.

Vanessa Trump filed for an uncontested divorce in March 2018. Leonnig reports that the agent concerned did not face disciplinary action as neither he nor the agency were official guardians of Vanessa Trump at that point.

Leonnig also writes that Tiffany Trump, Donald Trump’s daughter with his second wife, Marla Maples, broke up with a boyfriend and “began spending an unusual amount of time alone with a Secret Service agent on her detail”.

Secret Service leaders, the book says, “became concerned at how close Tiffany appeared to be getting to the tall, dark and handsome agent”.

Agents are prohibited from forming personal relationships with those they protect, out of concern that such feelings could cloud their judgment.

Both Tiffany Trump and the agent said nothing untoward was happening, Leonnig writes, and pointed out the nature of the agent’s job meant spending time alone with his charge. The agent was subsequently reassigned.

between these rumors and Trump trying to get overweight Secret Service guys kicked off his detail, these people are like a reality show come to life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/1391870564575420416?s=20

Jesus, this is :ironicat: but with Apartheid and Genocide

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Soylent Pudding posted:

You love to see it.

The best part is LaPierre basically shot himself in the foot on this and future cases by openly announcing that it was a ruse to avoid the NYAG, thereby poisoning future attempts to file again too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

I state for the record:

gently caress Israel and gently caress America for rolling with it.

Yup. Between Israel and House of Saud, worst allies possible

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Is that the same building that I showed earlier that collapsed after being bombed?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm sure that'll alleviate the overcrowding problem

The armored bulldozers just ain't colonizing fast enough anymore.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Theyre dropping white phosphorus again it looks like

Tradition dies hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pine Cone Jones posted:

gently caress anyone still involved with the republican party

Its this. Liz Cheney thinks she's going to make the GOP, the party of The Southern Strategy and Fox News consumers, face the music. She and the GOP deserve what they are getting.