Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for April, 2021?
This poll is closed.
:sweep: Kenny Omega (AEW/IMPACT World Champion) 33 35.48%
:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) 18 19.35%
:stwoon: Kota Ibushi (FORMER IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.08%
:fuckoff: Will Ospreay (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 4 4.30%
:anime: Bobby Lashley (WWE Champion) 0 0%
:science: Jun Akiyama (KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
:bustem: Keiji Mutoh (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 3 3.23%
:dance: Rich Swann (FORMER Impact Champion) 1 1.08%
Utami Hayashishita (World of Stardom Champion) 0 0%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) 4 4.30%
Sasha Banks (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
:thurman: Bianca Belair (Smackdown Women's Champion) 12 12.90%
:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (ICEx Champion) 0 0%
Asuka (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) 2 2.15%
:pkmnwhy: Rhea Ripley (Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
Rika Tatsumi (Princess of Princess Champion) 7 7.53%
:nah: (None of the Above) 8 8.60%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sanity prevailed in March, as February's aberration was not repeated and WWE was sent back to their goldplated trashcan to fester some more. Instead, it was the AEW Champion Kenny Omega who took the month, his first time winning a monthly poll (by himself, in December of 2020 he shared the win with Go Shiozaki) since August of 2018. His closest competitor in March was Asuka/VENY, making her first ever appearance on the poll and making an impressive second place showing, even beating out AEW Women's Champion Hikaru Shida who had one hell of a month. Omega's run as the arrogant douchebag heel who is legitimately one of the greatest wrestlers of all time but insists on constantly cheating/getting interference assists from Don Callis and the Good Brothers made him the clear favorite for March. But now it is time to find out what April (traditionally one of the biggest months for wrestling in the year, especially for WWE) brought, and which champion will prevail this month.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, RUSH (ROH), Shun Skywalker (Dragon Gate), Suwama (All Japan) & VENY (SEAdLINNNG) did not defend their titles, and so have been dropped from the poll for this month. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone, feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:sweep: Kenny Omega (AEW/IMPACT World Champion) - While he spent most of the month rebuilding "The Elite" into a unit including The Young Bucks now firmly back in their heel roles, and trying his best to avoid Jon Moxley and Eddie Kingston's bloodlust for vengeance.... Omega also took the time to go to Impact and defeat their top champion, Rich Swann, to add that belt to his AEW Championship, in addition to the AAA Mega Championship he also holds (but hasn't defended all year).

:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) - Where would Shida go after her excellent tournament wrapped up? Why into one hell of a goddamn fight against Tay Conti, that's where! Proving once again the utter ineptitude and uselessness of the WWE Performance Center, Tay Conti's incredible improvement since joining AEW reached all new heights as her and Shida just beat the loving poo poo out of each other on Dynamite. Shida came out on top, and now it looks like the long hoped for match against Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. is coming.

:stwoon: Kota Ibushi (FORMER IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - The man who promised he would not let us down... let us down! Convinced he had become God, Ibushi united the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championships only for his first proper defense of the new belt to be a loss to, of all people...

:fuckoff: Will Ospreay (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - Will Ospreay is the IWGP Heavyweight Champion now. He is an excellent wrestler who has superb matches. He can also gently caress off.

:anime: Bobby Lashley (WWE Champion) - After instigating a set-up to get the title off of Drew McIntyre so he could have an easy win of the title from The Miz, Bobby Lashley went out of his way to avoid facing Drew in a fair fight. He made use of the Hurt Business (since disbanded), he put out a bounty on Drew, and all the while Drew was talking mad poo poo about how Bobby was a coward who took shortcuts, who wasn't willing to stand toe-to-toe, who was scared and knew that he simply wasn't good enough to win in a fair fight. Anyway, Bobby - the heel - beat Drew McIntyre clean as a sheet in the middle of the ring at Wrestlemania by submission.

:science: Jun Akiyama (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Akiyama demonstrated that if he's going to be the champion of DDT, he's going to go all in representing what DDT stands for by nominating Danshoku Dino as his second challenger. Despite Dino's antics, Akiyama kept his cool and was able to hold on to his championship to set up an encounter with the face of DDT, HARASHIMA at CyberFest. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:bustem: Keiji Mutoh (GHC Heavyweight Champion) - The 58-year-old GHC Champion continued his unlikely reign after overcoming Masa Kitamiya in a mat classic that paid tribute to Mutoh's friend and Masa's mentor, the late Masa Saito. After the match, Mutoh was challenged by his M's Alliance stablemate, Naomichi Marufuji. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:dance: Rich Swann (FORMER Impact Champion) - In arguably the biggest match of his career, Rich Swann put his Impact Championship (so recently united with the defunct TNA World Championship) on the line in hopes of gaining the AEW Championship. It wasn't to be, as in a highly regarded match (though there were some claims Swann was carried through the latter third due to exhaustion) Swann came up short and lost everything.

Utami Hayashishita (World of Stardom Champion) - Utami continued her reign by defeating Bea Priestley in the latter's final match in Stardom. Though once again she found herself in the semi-main event spot and overshadowed by the outsiders of Donna Del Mondo. Perhaps she will finally make her way back to the main event as DDM's Syuri has set her sights on the champion. Syuri was able to steal a kiss from the champion in their final showdown before their Cinderella Tournament second round match, will the championship be next? Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) - At Wrestlemania, Roman Reigns defended his title against two incredible wrestlers in Edge and Daniel Bryan. He beat them clean, literally stacking Edge's unconscious body on top of Daniel Bryan's and then pinning both men (who BOTH had their shoulders on the mat) and winning clean as a sheet in the middle of the ring in the biggest WWE show of the year. He ended the month with a clean-as-a-sheet submission (by making his opponent pass out) on Daniel Bryan in a singles match to defend his title. Roman is the cowardly heel, by the way.

Sasha Banks (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) - Sasha Banks got a well-deserved Wrestlemania Main Event spot on Night 1 of the show, though sadly there was no Bayley present to share the moment. In what was lauded as a genuine Match of the Year Contender, Sasha Banks lost her title to...

:thurman: Bianca Belair (Smackdown Women's Champion) - The EST of WWE, Bianca Belair continued her meteoric (and, again, well-deserved) push to the top, following up her Royal Rumble win in January with not only a match of the year contender, not just a title win, but a title win in a match of the year contender in the main event of (night 1 of) Wrestlemania!

:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (ICEx∞ Champion) - Manami Toyota came to Korakuen Hall to get a front row seat of her two handpicked successors battle for Ice Ribbon's top championship and in that match, Tsukka defeated her protégé, Tsukushi Haruka to carry on a run of great main events for the ace of Ice Ribbon. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

Asuka (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) - After a rough couple of months of injury and uncertainty around her opponent, Asuka finally made it to Wrestlemania where she was unsuccessful in defending her title against...

:pkmnwhy: Rhea Ripley (Raw Women's Champion) - The runner-up in this year's Royal Rumble, Ripley managed to turn that into a shot at the title the winner did NOT choose. It's not entirely sure if this was the original plan or if issues with Charlotte Flair caused the late booking, and the match didn't really live up to its potential, but Rhea at least got to enjoy success at Wrestlemania after the indignity of the baffling booking of her NXT Title loss the previous year.

Rika Tatsumi (Princess of Princess Champion) - Tatsumi did not allow her opponent's newfound International fame to bother her as she was able to successfully defend her championship against Maki Itoh in Korakuen Hall. Only one defence stands between Rika and a title match in Saitama Super Arena, but Rika chose to put the largest possible roadblock in her journey to CyberFest by nominating the ace of TJPW, Miyu Yamashita, as her challenger. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:nah: (None of the Above) - If you look at these champions and all you can say is,"...nah", or if you just want to see the results, then None of the Above is the choice for you.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Belt Collector

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Much as I love Jun I can't vote for him off the back of that Dieno match, so in lieu of anybody else that appeals to me i'll be going with NOTA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I ran with the same logic as last month, which is that Shida loving rules and I should vote for her :hmmyes:

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

There's only one White Dragon. Vote Rika Tatsumi.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

In a competently booked promotion Bianca would be running away with this but I don't think they've had her do basically anything since she won the title.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
bianca crew

e:

Pylons posted:

In a competently booked promotion Bianca would be running away with this but I don't think they've had her do basically anything since she won the title.

yeah. but the mania match was loving awesome

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ospreay vs Ibushi is my #2 match of the year. And it honestly could be #1. And Billy won it so he gets my vote.

Akiyama vs Dieno was fun but not great, I haven't seen Mutoh's latest defence, Fujimoto was really the only other choice but I think the Haruka match was a notch below Fujimoto's other title matches this year. Still great & you should watch it but nah, it's an easy pick for Ospreay. He won't get votes because he's a lovely person but I'm jaded & just assume everyone in wrestling is a lovely person so that doesn't really bother me.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Voted Bianca because the WM match ruled and made me watch a WWE match for the first time in like two years.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I am voting for Asuka because she is charming and adorable.

I think that she is a very nice lady in real life, and as such deserves nice things.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Voting for one Kenneth O'Mega because he's got the most belts and as such clearly is the champiest champ.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just realised Kenny winning this technically would mean Impact winning this poll which is even funnier than Miz winning. I want Jerusalem to make sure the picture chosen for Kenny includes the Impact and TNA championships.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh absolutely, he's listed as both so it would absolutely be a win for Impact as well as AEW, and indeed all the votes he gets will also be counted towards the Impact promotion in addition to AEW for stats purposes (which will cause an overhang) but that's just the way it has to be.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Just realised Kenny winning this technically would mean Impact winning this poll which is even funnier than Miz winning. I want Jerusalem to make sure the picture chosen for Kenny includes the Impact and TNA championships.

same but aaa winning in the middle of suing itself

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Show the AAA logo too but blur it for legal reasons

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It can only be Bianca for me.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

That Shida match with Tay was an absolute belter, best title match I saw this month, so Shida gets the nod from me.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
imagine having the opportunity to vote for muta and not taking it

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Shida/Tay was a better match than Omega/Swann.

I will not be taking any questions.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

worship the quad belt holder

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

karmicknight posted:

Shida/Tay was a better match than Omega/Swann.

I will not be taking any questions.

can u adjust votes because i submitted for the wrong one

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

WatermelonGun posted:

OK, now what.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Lamuella posted:

OK, now what.

now imagine yourself being a cool enough dude to vote for the tenga kneed champion

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

We're going to have that opportunity for years to come because Mutoh will reign eternal

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
If they booked Roman like this four years ago, the business would be totally different. Sad that WWE has run everyone off, because this run is pretty great. He went 4+ in title matches twice this month - voting him.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Protest vote for Minoru Fujita

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bianca/Sasha was a million times better than Shida/Tay

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Without seeing one of these matches I can state with 100% confidence it was not.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Benne posted:

Imagine watching the WWF.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One day in, 3 days to go. AEW (and Impact) Champion Kenny holds the lead, but AEW Women's Champion Shida is not far behind, and Smackdown Women's Champion Bianca Belair isn't far behind her. It's still far from over. Vote!

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

WatermelonGun posted:

now imagine yourself being a cool enough dude to vote for the tenga kneed champion

no tanahashi has the never belt not the iwgp belt

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Wait, whose knees are you telling us to have sex with?

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

instead of loving knees, gently caress ohio

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Big Dave posted:

instead of loving knees, gently caress ohio

:mods:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

all elite scooby doo

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I voted for Bianca because she seems very nice and her winning was a nice thing that happened which is rare for WWE nowadays

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Assuming Kenny wins this - when was the last time the Impact/TNA champion won the monthly poll?

Edit: Is there a gallery anywhere we can view all of the winners since PSP/RR/FI whatever started doing these polls?

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 2, 2021

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Assuming Kenny wins this - when was the last time the Impact/TNA champion won the monthly poll?

Looks like Bully Ray in March 2013.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Edit: Is there a gallery anywhere we can view all of the winners since PSP/RR/FI whatever started doing these polls?
jerusalem usually posts it at the end of the previous month's thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963866#post513771299

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Dave posted:

jerusalem usually posts it at the end of the previous month's thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963866#post513771299

So yeah, it'd be the first Impact/TNA winner since Bully Ray in March 2013