Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

A Fancy Hat posted:

Also the image of Judy Bagwell shaving Buff's testicles was certainly something. I'm still not sure how that helped him be a better pro wrestler, but there ya go.

Wrestling is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Beefcake's wife having that intense of an adoration for him really made that episode

That was one thing I didn't know or expect to see

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

I got way behind, but the descriptions of Brutus' parasailing accident is absolutely horrifying

Haven't watched this one yet but even as a kid I remember the (sanitized, I assume) description of it in WWF Magazine was just horrifying. When they announced he was coming back to tv I thought he was going to look like Freddy Krueger.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I definitely enjoyed the Colt episode, it’s one of those rare stories on the show that I had absolutely no knowledge of before, so that’s cool. I agree with what’s been said though, there was way too much reliance on Cornette relaying second hand knowledge.

But also I get they didn’t really have much choice so :shrug: Glad they did it anyway.

If we get another season I hope there’s more of this sort of thing. I’m kinda over the episodes that are like “here’s a popular wrestler from the 80’s/90’s. They were successful for a while and then they died.”

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Like Sandman I had no prior knowledge of Chris Colt, so just learning about him was interesting in itself. I can understand criticisms of it seeming a bit surface-level, but the guy seemed to have had such a fascinating and troubling life for someone so unknown that I'm not sure you could do him justice in 45 minutes regardless. I want to know more about his wrestling, but also his early life, working with Janis Joplin and Joe Cocker, his life in gay videos, his death, etc. You probably can't dedicate an episode of this show to each of those areas, but it gave me somewhere to start, so that's good.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
I find it more and more difficult to watch Dark Side of the Ring every time Cornette is on screen.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm a bit divided about Cornette. I think he's a solid historian, and when he talks about old wrestling you can clearly hear his passion for it. It's just that he's obviously a genuine bigot too, and there's all the other stuff that comes back to him just being a carny (given that he's long been a purveyor of the lazy provocative podcast niche). I find him interesting on the programme for the most part, but I can absolutely understand why people don't want to see/hear him.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm a bit divided about Cornette. I think he's a solid historian, and when he talks about old wrestling you can clearly hear his passion for it. It's just that he's obviously a genuine bigot too, and there's all the other stuff that comes back to him just being a carny (given that he's long been a purveyor of the lazy provocative podcast niche). I find him interesting on the programme for the most part, but I can absolutely understand why people don't want to see/hear him.

Same for me. It sucks that the guy with probably the best encyclopedic knowledge on so much wrestling history is also a gigantic piece of poo poo idiot.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

that's the thing with cornette tho, he doesn't have a better grasp on history than most tbh, hes just a talented talker and has proximity to these historical events or figures so people buy his bullshit

his version of history is rarely accurate, his version of current events is dog water, his relevancy is long past, and tbh wrestling needs him about as much as it does glen gilberti

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Choom Gangster posted:

that's the thing with cornette tho, he doesn't have a better grasp on history than most tbh, hes just a talented talker and has proximity to these historical events or figures so people buy his bullshit

his version of history is rarely accurate, his version of current events is dog water, his relevancy is long past, and tbh wrestling needs him about as much as it does glen gilberti

This is the thing with Cornette for me. Considering how warped his perception of current wrestling is now plus him being a bigoted carny, can we really trust him as an unbiased historian?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Long-Time Lurker posted:

This is the thing with Cornette for me. Considering how warped his perception of current wrestling is now plus him being a bigoted carny, can we really trust him as an unbiased historian?

Well, at least he isn’t paying his bills by telling stories about the old days of wrestling, when he could happen to be the only surviving person left from a given story

And thereby be given creative liberty to embellish however he sees fit

That combined with him being one of the preeminent sources on southern wrestling would probably be bad for verifiability and accuracy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cornette obsessively kept notes from his time with the Express so anything revolving around that is probably on solid-ish ground but other than that, you're on your own.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What have been some of his weaker moments on the show? I'm asking genuinely because I'm not knowledgeable enough to know when he's being inaccurate most of the time. As far as just this season goes, he seemed fairly close to Gordy in that he booked him after the health scare, but I admit I'm not sure about the rest. He certainly has a tendency to exaggerate along the lines of "And if they were alive today they'd be one of the biggest stars in the industry!", which is irrelevant for the most part but it's nonetheless a fairly common line on the show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What have been some of his weaker moments on the show? I'm asking genuinely because I'm not knowledgeable enough to know when he's being inaccurate most of the time. As far as just this season goes, he seemed fairly close to Gordy in that he booked him after the health scare, but I admit I'm not sure about the rest. He certainly has a tendency to exaggerate along the lines of "And if they were alive today they'd be one of the biggest stars in the industry!", which is irrelevant for the most part but it's nonetheless a fairly common line on the show.

In fairness I believe that's true with Gordy, he was a huge SOB who could work, at dirt worst he'd be a star in Japan

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I think Cornette is a decent resource for anything up until about 1986, after which he can be safely ignored.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In fairness I believe that's true with Gordy, he was a huge SOB who could work, at dirt worst he'd be a star in Japan

It's true, Gordy was the better worker in the MVC and his partner was Steve Williams. That kind of skill takes you far.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
E: wrong thread

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 13, 2024

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
If only Chris Adams had some support for his addictions and other personal issues. I've seen some of his matches when he was at his prime and he was legit great: super athletic, crisp moves, great characterisation, good looking guy, confident speaker. The circumstances surrounding his death just sound straight up weird; the guy who shot him in self-defence came off as quite pleasant, but I don't know if others have dived into it to come up with a different interpretation?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The Sherri episode: at first I wanted to give out a little bit about how Grizzly Smith and Moolah being terrible people was just kind of casually brushed aside for the most part (I know they've done other episodes on them both before), but the core hard bit of the episode was Sherri's personal life and that was really sad to experience even second-hand.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/DarkSideOfRing/status/1785342726558347650

Oh boy.

Not sure why they're involving The Rock in this, but hopefully they will try and actually tell the story and not just the WWE version.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Can’t wait to finally hear Bischoff’s side of the story!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Integrated Houston posted:

Can’t wait to finally hear Bischoff’s side of the story!

Listening to his podcast, his side of the story is "I don't recall."

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Triple H and DX killed WCW when they drove a drat TANK to nitro and then bombed Atlanta in a fighter jet

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Let's mudhole stomp this dead horse, then give it the fingers, then do a beer bash over the dead horse's mangled rotting corpse

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I think that if they managed to get the kind of people who wouldn't have involved themselves in previous documentaries, like the Turner execs, and followed up on some of the stuff that's surfaced in the last several years that's not in the WWE documentaries, then it could be good. Like how in the Nitro book it's explained that Jamie Kellner's reason for just giving up and canceling WCW programing was that the deal that had been negotiated to sell to Fusient gave Fusient control of the Nitro and Thunder time slots for X number of years even if WCW ceased to exist. Which was actually kind of alluded to in Multichannel News a few months later: https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A77337399/ITOF?u=nysl_me_bpl_cent&sid=bookmark-ITOF&xid=768880fd

Where that gets REALLY interesting is something that didn't make it into the Nitro book. That two weeks before the cancellation news, TV business trade publication Electronic Media reported that Steve Heyer, a departing TBS executive, had "'been trying to kill Jamie' at every turn" since the Turner/Time Warner merger closed: https://www.tvweek.com/in-depth/2001/03/kellner-boldly-assumes-hot-sea/

Steve Heyer, according to both the Torch and Observer at the time, was who was negotiating the Fusient deal on Turner's behalf.

It sure SEEMS like he put that in the contract as his last act to try to get Kellner in trouble, only for Kellner to figure it out and cancel WCW programming as a result.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
New Jon Bois 3-parter on the Reform Party will heavily feature Jesse Ventura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqqaW1LrMTY

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

fez_machine posted:

New Jon Bois 3-parter

hell yeah

quote:

on the Reform Party

never mind I'm good

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sandman's Dark Side of the Ring episode has a different vibe than the others this season, mostly because Sandman's still alive and makes no effort to dodge or minimize what a loving maniac he was for most of his career. I do wonder how they prepared him for this, though, as he's noticeably more lucid here than any interview I've seen from him in the past 5 years.

I don't envy whoever had to edit this episode because both Sandman and Raven are interviewed for it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I thought it was a strong episode overall, and it was particularly hosed up to see the whole family talk about how it seemed that his 1999 steroid usage for his WCW run directly caused him to become an abusive husband. We've heard vague stories before of wrestlers who were spooked to get off the gas for similar reasons, but never anything this specific.

The only negative to me was how odd the end was. They mention the 2008 arrest for his drunken antics at Lou Albano's birthday party, but never say the year or that it was a wrestling-related event, and they kind of treat it as recent? Then they have the family say they hope filming the interviews is therapeutic for everyone and...that's about it? Leaving out the last ~16 years of his life, which included a years-long stretch where he was either sober or at least functional enough to present as sober in public? That's really weird to me. It was like a running joke that when he'd do indie appearances, he'd never actually drink the beer during his entrance because he'd gotten sober. It felt like a huge omission given the themes of the episode, made weirder by how the Albano thing was worked into the ending in a way that it was sort of framed as a recent wake-up call.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

fez_machine posted:

New Jon Bois 3-parter on the Reform Party will heavily feature Jesse Ventura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqqaW1LrMTY

gently caress yeah

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I'll be the unpopular opinion guy but, gently caress it... I like Cornette's commentary & storytelling throughout the series. Whether he was ranting on Bischoff, calling out Russo, or legit crying on the DSoTR Candido episode, he's been pretty entertaining & informative.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think it's not unpopular to say that Cornette is engaging and knowledgeable when he's not talking about a) current wrestling or b) Jim Cornette or c) anything outside of wrestling. He wouldn't be in the position he is if he weren't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think it's not unpopular to say that Cornette is engaging and knowledgeable when he's not talking about a) current wrestling or b) Jim Cornette or c) anything outside of wrestling. He wouldn't be in the position he is if he weren't.

Yeah, it's often been said people wished he'd just stuck to telling road stories about the Midnight Express or using his little payoff diary to talk about how weird the money was because that was interesting.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

davidbix posted:

I thought it was a strong episode overall, and it was particularly hosed up to see the whole family talk about how it seemed that his 1999 steroid usage for his WCW run directly caused him to become an abusive husband. We've heard vague stories before of wrestlers who were spooked to get off the gas for similar reasons, but never anything this specific.

The only negative to me was how odd the end was. They mention the 2008 arrest for his drunken antics at Lou Albano's birthday party, but never say the year or that it was a wrestling-related event, and they kind of treat it as recent? Then they have the family say they hope filming the interviews is therapeutic for everyone and...that's about it? Leaving out the last ~16 years of his life, which included a years-long stretch where he was either sober or at least functional enough to present as sober in public? That's really weird to me. It was like a running joke that when he'd do indie appearances, he'd never actually drink the beer during his entrance because he'd gotten sober. It felt like a huge omission given the themes of the episode, made weirder by how the Albano thing was worked into the ending in a way that it was sort of framed as a recent wake-up call.

I thought I was crazy because they talk about the arrest and show footage, but I had no idea what the context was and thought I missed something. I thought it was a wedding or something because of those tents.

The most interesting part to me was the steroid stuff for sure. Seeing the picture of him in WCW looking like a big swollen version of himself was kind of crazy.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It's weird because when I met Sandman for a show he worked back in 2017 he was very sweet, sober by that point, and seemed just happy to be alive and around and still appreciated. I don't know how legit that was or how he is nowadays but I feel like that'd be a part of his life you wouldn't want to leave out.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think it's weird they framed his WWE career as a failure since he was in his 40s by that point and it was great to see him get a nice payday for a few years and sell some merch. He was fairly beaten up by that point, nor was he ever a really great wrestler, and really his gimmick was never going to work in WWE anyway. I'd say if you asked most people he overachieved in WWE.

It was also kind of unclear as to whether he was estranged from his family still. It seemed like he was since you'd think they'd have ended with everyone all together if they weren't but they also didn't harp on the point enough to make it come off as a cautionary tale.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

A Fancy Hat posted:

I thought I was crazy because they talk about the arrest and show footage, but I had no idea what the context was and thought I missed something. I thought it was a wedding or something because of those tents.
Right? It was LOU ALBANO'S BIRTHDAY PARTY. And I'm not alone in thinking they made it seem more recent than 2008, right?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It's weird because when I met Sandman for a show he worked back in 2017 he was very sweet, sober by that point, and seemed just happy to be alive and around and still appreciated. I don't know how legit that was or how he is nowadays but I feel like that'd be a part of his life you wouldn't want to leave out.
Yeah, I don't know how much of it was actual prolonged sobriety vs. keeping up appearances, but the period where he was never drinking during his entrance and you never heard any horror stories was at least a few years. He seemed like he was doing real well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Decent episode