Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Suleman posted:

...Lowtax was affiliated with Wrestlecrap?

no, mangosteen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

with the poo poo coming out about vince today I half-remembered reading on this board that between s3 and s4, when it looked like dsotr was at risk of being cancelled after drawing ire for covering subject matter like the plane ride from hell and the steroid trials, dsotr was “saved” (re: bought out) by a company who also has stake in wwe, which was possibly brokered by the former viceland cfo, then evp of international ops at wwe.

that explained why s4 was a bit of a lighter touch w/r/t focusing on wrestlers’ personal failings rather than the systemic rot perpetuated by vince and other wwe higher-ups, most notably its reticence to cover the ring boy scandal.

I looked for articles covering this/did a rudimentary search in this thread but didn’t turn up much, am I severely misremembering?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Timby posted:

I feel like they could do a stupendous two-parter on just how utterly bugnuts crazy ECW was behind the scenes under Paul Heyman's leadership.

And there's probably a good documentary telling the story of CHIKARA that could be made.

There is, and I don't really want DSOR to make it.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Why’s that?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I think it deserves its own documentary made by people who cared about the promotion

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it deserves its own documentary made by people who cared about the promotion

i'm sure Quackenbush would kickstarter one for you

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

it will make an excellent Kim Justice video

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Funny that there's discussion here about Chikara on DSotR, as Callux, a student from the latter days of the promotion and all around large man, got to live the dream.

https://twitter.com/CalluxPW/status/1763655045705265421

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Sometimes the rare episodes with a genuine good guy getting knocked down in their prime hits right in the gut just as hard as an episode with a Grizzly Smith.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

E: Nevermind

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wee Bairns posted:

Sometimes the rare episodes with a genuine good guy getting knocked down in their prime hits right in the gut just as hard as an episode with a Grizzly Smith.

While Quake's passing sucks, if it helps - and I haven't seen the episode yet so I don't know if it was mentioned - he left his family pretty well set up.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Just watched the episode. His family were clearly shaken by his untimely passing and it's something they'll be grappling with for the rest of their lives, but it seems like they've taken the best of what made him so likeable as a human being and applied it to themselves. I really want to believe that final statement from his son, that you can work hard and still be a good person and things will be okay for those you love. Even with the world as it is, you don't need to be a Vince McMahon or a Donald Trump or whatever. It was a sad but ultimately uplifting episode.

It was unfortunate to hear that no wrestlers apparently went to his funeral though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It was unfortunate to hear that no wrestlers apparently went to his funeral though.

That seems like it's not uncommon. I remember hearing when Junkyard Dog passed only Buddy Landell went and I'm sure Dog had more friends in the business than that.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’m the last 20 years of my adult working life there’s like… six peoples funerals I would go to. I’d expect even less to show up at mine.

Don’t see why wrestlers are any different.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’d go to your funeral.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’d go to your funeral.

A WWF: In Your House title when Vince was running out of ideas.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Sandman from ECW posted:

I’m the last 20 years of my adult working life there’s like… six peoples funerals I would go to. I’d expect even less to show up at mine.

Don’t see why wrestlers are any different.

Good point. I guess I was just a bit surprised because Tenta seemed to be well-liked, and the way the episode framed it, it seemed like no one even sent, like, a little acknowledgment or anything (or at least WWE didn't).

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Animal-Mother posted:

genuinely stunned there isn't an IYH called It's Your Funeral

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’d go to your funeral.

Thanks Pope

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Animal-Mother posted:

Honestly sounds like the title of a GCW show

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
TNA: It’s You’re Funeral

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

TNA: It’s You’re Funeral

glitchy video of African dancing pallbearers plays over the in-ring video for 45 minutes

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The Dark Side of the Ring on Buff Bagwell was interesting, but this season definitely feels like a bit of a letdown overall so far.

That said, the part near the end where Scotty Riggs admitted he'd been living in his car and Bagwell reached out and got him help was wild, especially since Riggs was just in the audience for Sting's final match less than 2 weeks ago. Riggs also looked a HELL of a lot better on the PPV than he did on this documentary, so it seems like he's in a much better place than when this was filmed.

Also the image of Judy Bagwell shaving Buff's testicles was certainly something. I'm still not sure how that helped him be a better pro wrestler, but there ya go.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Also the image of Judy Bagwell shaving Buff's testicles was certainly something. I'm still not sure how that helped him be a better pro wrestler, but there ya go.

:catstare:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

The Dark Side of the Ring on Buff Bagwell was interesting, but this season definitely feels like a bit of a letdown overall so far.

That said, the part near the end where Scotty Riggs admitted he'd been living in his car and Bagwell reached out and got him help was wild, especially since Riggs was just in the audience for Sting's final match less than 2 weeks ago. Riggs also looked a HELL of a lot better on the PPV than he did on this documentary, so it seems like he's in a much better place than when this was filmed.

I didn't even realize this week's episode was on Buff. I just watched a DDPY video about them helping Buff and Scotty make a comeback (there's a part two for Scotty that's linked in the video too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkzOIDJ8YtQ

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
DDP is a loving saint

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was happy that the episode touched on the difficult subject of the American Males theme, if only briefly

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Buff Bagwell reminds me of a Danny McBride character. But like, jacked

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

The world needs more John Tentas.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Just watched the episode. His family were clearly shaken by his untimely passing and it's something they'll be grappling with for the rest of their lives, but it seems like they've taken the best of what made him so likeable as a human being and applied it to themselves. I really want to believe that final statement from his son, that you can work hard and still be a good person and things will be okay for those you love. Even with the world as it is, you don't need to be a Vince McMahon or a Donald Trump or whatever. It was a sad but ultimately uplifting episode.

Just watched the episode. Tugboat, Hebner, and Haku all said they were close friends with Tenta. Seriously, none of them went to his funeral?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is the new season streaming anywhere? We’re just finishing up season 4 on Hulu right now but season 5 isn’t up yet.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is the new season streaming anywhere? We’re just finishing up season 4 on Hulu right now but season 5 isn’t up yet.

I'm watching it on Sling

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

id rather have an honest one

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Watched the DSoTR Earthquake episode for the third time & still miss the big man. I saw the Dino Bravo stuff live as a kid, they played up Tenta perfectly as a villain. From is singles days with Warrior or Hogan to Natural Disasters, he & his partners were amazing. Never knew they used hamburger inside pantyhose for that infamous spot, but drat did Jake sell it like he really lost a loved one. Great episode & worth rewatching, I miss those days...

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Some of that late footage from the Terry Gordy episode hit pretty hard. I was practically screaming at the screen for someone to take care of him, a medical professional for long-term treatment, because he was clearly gone. I can't even blame American healthcare entirely because this sort of thing happens too often everywhere when we have the capabilities to stop it. His kids look healthy though, even though they've become wrestlers themselves. I think that shows that people and the business in general is learning.

EDIT: The Brutus episode was a bit more light-hearted despite his terrible accident because he seems like he's been able to keep his spirits up through it all. I did love how the re-enactment Hogan looked more like The Huckster from those awful sketches WWF did circa 1995.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 28, 2024

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Curious what everyone thought of the Chris Colt episode of Dark Side? I thought it was one of the best episodes they've ever done.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

the subject was definitely the most original story they've covered, but the episode was mid as usual. it didnt feel like anyone they interviewed really understood colt outside of the older director, so hearing tales of how "crazy" just felt like listening to witnesses of a bar fight from twenty years ago. also cornette was absolutely the wrong guy for this one, they even had an actually informed historian that got much less time.

colt deserves a longer and more empathetic take imo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I really dug the episode. Even from a production standpoint it felt like a different show with the text overlays of Colt's letters and Eisener had a lot to work with in those reenactments. I even thought Cornette was pretty well used. It was a better balance than most Dark Sides with letting the story speak for itself as much as possible.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Choom Gangster posted:

the subject was definitely the most original story they've covered, but the episode was mid as usual. it didnt feel like anyone they interviewed really understood colt outside of the older director, so hearing tales of how "crazy" just felt like listening to witnesses of a bar fight from twenty years ago. also cornette was absolutely the wrong guy for this one, they even had an actually informed historian that got much less time.

colt deserves a longer and more empathetic take imo
I do get what you're saying; the biggest weakness of the episode was, to me, that they weren't able to find anyone who could give much insight into Colt's relationship with Ron Dupree. And that they didn't lean on his closest friends in the episode (Billy Anderson and Tom Burke). But I'm also not sure how much better they could have done. Ron's been dead for almost 50 years. Finding people who were around them when they were a couple is gonna be difficult, much less friends who they were particularly open with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I got way behind, but the descriptions of Brutus' parasailing accident is absolutely horrifying