Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like this got kicked out of my bookmarks somehow, glad you're still around, Crisis! Or - or that you were in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Phy posted:

Looks like this got kicked out of my bookmarks somehow, glad you're still around, Crisis! Or - or that you were in December.

Not only is he around, he started the ck3 lp and it's like 10 updates in

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993349

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Oh drat, thanks! Still holding out hope this gets finished some day, but until then, happy to read the CK3 LP!

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Definitely the best Stellaris LP I've ever read. Even if it is not going to be finished, it has ended at perfect moment.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
End of Exodus - Part One

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Last of the Mormons
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2390: October

Polaris System
New Salt Lake City (5 months into Contingency siege)

Robert Andrews - Priest of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
When Joseph Smith was taken from us in that tiny Carthage jailhouse we had but thousands to us in the church, I don't think even in his wildest dreams he could have imagined just a few short centuries later there would be three billion. Nor do I think Brigham could have anticipated that Salt Lake would one day not be synonymous with that dusty Pre-Yellowstone city, but our very own planet. We would have made such wonders here, our own paradise amongst the stars, but I mustn't dwell on that. This is the hand the universe has dealt us, and we will face our fate with dignity and repose. With the bravest of my congregation we are making our way up cargo-shaft seventeen, or what remains of it. For months the surface of our world has been scorched by nuclear fire, all of our work is gone, and now we cower here in the vast tunnels beneath the surface.

At first we held out hope that the navy would come to our aid, we even prayed that the UN would arrive to save us, even after what they did to New Colorado. If the UN's demon were here we know she would make short work of these infernal machines. But our nation's great navy and the people's fleet of the Bastion are tied up waging war on one of the machine's worlds. No one is coming for us.

Some of my congregation wanted to make one last trip to the surface of the planet, they wanted to see the stars one last time, specifically they wanted to see Sol, home. One of my more bold followers had managed to sneak into an old NAF military stockpile and requisition us some military-issue suits that the clones wore during the UN's first invasion decades ago. They were old and cheap but pressurized and would shield us from the immense radiation up above. Thankfully I had climbing experience from my time as a mission on some craggy far off alien world beyond the Victorious Night that I cannot remember the name of now.
It has taken two days of climbing with little rest but now we approach the top, the suit's internal geiger counter is going crazy as meter by meter we scramble further out of our tomb-to-be. Up above, the remains of the immense miles-wide dome that covered the city still jut out of the rubble and ruins all around. Not a single word is exchanged as we all help one another out of the cargo shaft and stand amongst the carnage. Looking up at the stars, I can see the red glint of that terrible machine that hovers over us, I try my best to ignore it and focus on the cosmos, trying to remember what I had learnt from my time aboard a vessel beyond the Victorious Night.

I raise a weary arm up, pointing to a particularly bright star "Sol, our Sol", and then I go and find a nice rock to sit on, and wait, to die.

On October 15th 2390, a Contingency Colossus wipes out all life on the planet New Sale Lake City. 3.2 billion humans and just under 10,000 grammich perish.
Though a small handful of members of the LDS Church were off-world, they are so few and scattered so far that any hope of cohesion or continuation of the faith is gone.
The immense lose of life within a decade of the UN bombardment of New Colorado has a profound effect on the New American psyche.

Second Battle For the Milky Way

2390: November

Otl-tharthai system, at the edge of the Milky Way galaxy
High orbit above 'The Perseus Arm sterilization hub'

LOIS - General Secretary and Commander-in-chief of all the United Nations.

I can barely even contend with the bizarre situation I have found myself in, elected to lead this band of humans and all their allies. News of the loss of Salt Lake City sits far too heavy on me to draw any sort of excitement from this unique position.
All that matters is ending this threat, and protecting every person that I can.

There is an immense cult of personality amassing around me, from all across UN space and even beyond, any attempts to stem it fail, or even backfire.

'May the divine Lance guard us forever'

I try my best to administer the Bastion and the rest of the UN, but with the war effort occupying so much of mind I find it extremely taxing, at the very least a vote has commenced in the Galactic Community that we can try to leverage some of our influence towards - to briefly unite, as a single polity and for all the nations and their militaries of the Milky Way to fight side by side against The Contingency.

For almost a year we have bombarded the surface of that terrible planet beneath us, the combined might of the UN and New American fleets, thousands of megatons. And it does nothing. They can be rebuilt just as fast as we can destroy, and even under constant attack they are still capable of producing their autonomous drones to send out and kill everything they encounter across the galaxy. Little by little, day by day they whittle our forces down, they will eventually overwhelm us unless something changes, and quick.

The fate of New Salt Lake City forced me to divert a large contingent of the UNN to go and elimate the machine colossus that still roams in New American space, with the Virtuous States' navy remaining here at my side to continue the bombardment of the Contingency hub. But the moment the UNN departs from the system, an immense machine force that had remained in hiding beneath the surface of the planet emerges and engages us, forcing me to recall the UNN at once, lest the VSA navy and myself be destroyed. Truth be told, in any other time if this is how I must go, then so be it, my singularity-reactor would erupt into a blackhole and consume this whole system with me. Would that I not now also leader of the United Nations.

We enter the fray once more, I pray the UNN will return to us in time. Though I do not know what good it may be, even if this new force is quelled, we cannot destroy the Contingency Hub, nothing short of divine intervention can save us.

Peace & Hope For All Mankind

2391: January

Sol System
Somewhere between The Bastion and the Moon

Captain Soini Kahdesti - commander of the 'UNN Peace & Hope For All Mankind'

"This is Commander Kahdesti. Resupply skiffs are outbound and all crew are accounted for. Stations secure and we are prepared for departure."

A decade of research and development and hundreds of thousands of engineers working around the clock have led to this moment. The maiden flight of the Charlemagne-class dreadnaught. The UNN Peace & Hope For All Mankind, an ironic name considering it is the most devastating weapon constructed by human hands, but under my command I will see to it this vessel is never used for malicious ends. I have served the UN a long time, slowly working my way up the ranks and before that I had a plethora of other numerous roles here and there helping people however I could. But here: in our species, nay, the galaxy's most dire hour, I am proud to serve and see to it this vessel can make the difference.

Sixteen kilometers long, two kilometers wide at its bow and four six at its stern, with a crew of half a million, four particle lances such as the one found on the Lance of Irassia, and the first jumpdrive capable craft constructed since the fall of the old Irasian Empire all those millennia ago. I say four lances, but really it is one with essentially a rotating barrel built down the spine of the ship, allowing for far quicker reloading / recharging, taking the three week recharge of LOIS' lance down to just five days.
The Peace & Hope is so large it cannot dock with any other current space structures, not even The Bastion, for fear its mass would interfere with local systems. So large it is, it possesses its own metro system for the crew to move quickly between the decks and departments, which are practically cities in their own right, all contributing towards the running of this monster of a ship. There is no AI aboard, not while the Contingency Crisis is ongoing, everything is analog or controlled by human hands, hence the immense crew size.
The jumpdrive is also only a prototype still, it cannot get us all the way to the edge of the galaxy but it can certainly get us close, and make a years long journey into only weeks. Upon arriving on the other side of the Iguo Veil I will have to make the decision on whether to join up with the rest of the UNN and assist in the 'Second Battle Of the Milky Way' already unfolding it, but it may already be a foregone conclusion by that point. In which case our one and only mission is to hunt and destroy the Contingency Colossus to ensure it can inflict no more harm on our worlds. Even if it should claim us in the process.

"This is the Peace & Hope, we are preparing for jump."

I had never seen The Lance jump myself, but heard it described many times, seen many pictures. It could not prepare me to witness this - space and time itself slowly unfolding before the ship as the jumpdrive spooled up. An immense blue light, an otherworldly chorus of eldritch noises as we are enveloped and the Solar System around us disappears in the light.

The Sacrifice

2391: April

LOIS

The main UNN fleet had returned just in time. The small number of ships we had left to continue the bombardment of the planet were no match for the renewed machine fleet, many cruisers and corvettes were destroyed or rendered inoperable.

At full strength once more we are able to contend with the Contingency, but we take great losses in the process and another three months is wasted destroying their ships, all the while they have been building a new fleet on the planet's surface to send against us. We are trapped here, to swat them away whenever they rise, and all the while God knows what is happening across the galaxy from the other three 'sterilization hubs'.

I convene with the captains of all the ships of the UNN to assess the situation, a plan forming in my head. A most Jillian White plan.
Nuclear bombardment from all of the UN and VSA ships is not enough to damage the planet, even firing the Lance at the surface does only superficial damage. The amount of energy I can put into the Lance is restricted - as a safeguard, but there is nothing to stop external power being fed in along with what I can normally provide. It does have the slight downside, that it may... cause me to explode. And to what extent I cannot say. Anywhere in between making the lights short out to my blackhole-heart going supercritical and wiping out the entire UN and New American navies. At least, it would ensure the destruction of the machine world either way.

I relay the plan to the UNN commanders and put it to a vote, and though I do not tell them if a single one said nay then I would think of something else, but they all agreed. So dire is our situation every one of them is prepared to die if it means ending this threat, the thought of what happened to New Salt Lake City hangs heavy over all of us, and it could very well be any planet in UN or VSA space next.

I order every UNN vessel to dock with me and one another in tandem, so that the power of the entire UN fleet can be siphoned into the Lance. The New Americans are ordered to move to the edge of the system, just in case, but should this go wrong, I doubt they would have enough to escape. I reposition myself to be aiming at the dead center of Otl-tharthai-3, Sterilization Hub 3...

...and fire.

The light of the Lance of Irassia briefly the brightest object in the night sky for many hundreds of lightyears around over the next few decades.

Sterilization Hub 3 being hit with enough force to blow the back half of the planet completely off.

The Lance of Irassia ripping herself to pieces in the process.

In the summer of 2391, an incredibly bright light is seen from the edge of the galaxy in the last position of the United Nations and Virtuous States of America fleets. All contact is lost. Immediately after all Contingency warforms and other machines across all of the Perseus and Orion Arms are immensely weakened and disorientated, they still pose a threat, but are now far easier to engage and defeat. All AI, synths and other digital intelligences become active once more, no longer under the influence of 'Sterilization Hub 3'.
Contingency Colossus is still in play. Peace & Hope is en route. Status of the General Secretary is unknown. Pray for the Milky Way, pray for the United Nations, pray for LOIS.

End of Part One

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 24, 2022

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
IN LOIS WE TRUST o7

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It's a holiday miracle.

That comes at a great cost. o7

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
IN
LOIS
WE
TRUST

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
IN LOIS WE TRUST o7

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

IN LOIS WE TRUST o7

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
IN LOIS WE TRUST o7

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

IN LOIS WE TRUST o7

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Christmas has come early with an update to this LP

IN LOIS WE TRUST

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crisis Now posted:

Sterilization Hub 3 being hit with enough force to blow the back half of the planet completely off.

gently caress me running

IN LOIS WE TRUST o7

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ILWT as my tramp stamp

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
IN LOIS WE TRUST in my booty shorts

o7

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
In Lois We Trust

Remember the Lance!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

IN

LOIS

WE

TRUST

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
IN ㅤ
ㅤ ㅤLOIS
ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤWE
ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤTRUST

ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ ㅤo7

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
UN resurgent!

In Lois We Trust

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Need a special timed project to gather all remaining Mormons and give them a new planet.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
End of Exodus - Part Two

Present yet absent

2391: April

Otl-tharthai system, at the edge of the Milky Way galaxy
Seconds after the destruction of 'Sterilisation Hub 03'

The Bridge of the New American destroyer VSAS-Newark

Intercepted comms between Virtuous States naval commanders
"Lord Almighty..."
"Contingency machine-world is out of action"
"AI subroutines just became responsive again!"
"That's for New Salt Lake you sonsabitches"
"Repeat: Contingency machine-world is out of action"
"Some kind of explosion at the Unides fleet too, comms unresponsive"
"I think the Demon just destroyed itself"
"She has a name, Lois just saved us all"
"Lots of debris but the UN ships look intact"
"Alright enough chatter, all ships, report status now"

Some minutes later.

The ships of the United Nations Navy were drifting aimlessly beside the fractured remains of what was the Lance of Irassia. All at once the AI-cores that ran the ships reactivated as if waking from a stupor and regaining control of their systems and stabilized themselves, they seemingly had no recollection of the past year's events, skipping from the moment the Contingency arrived to the destruction of 'Sterilization Hub 3'. It was evident enough the Lance's singularity core hadn't gone supercritical otherwise none of the UN ship crews would be staring up at the Lance nor the rapidly disintegrating Contingency machine-world a few hundred thousand kilometers ahead of them.

An expedition team is dispatched at once from battleship UNN Ainsworth to board the Lance and assess the situation. The singularity core is stable though appears temperamental and due care should be taken, the structural damage to the Lance is so severe she will likely never move again under her own power, and the particle lance is irreversibly damaged, and no living person in the galaxy possesses the knowledge of how to repair it. But most significant of all, LOIS was alive. But seemingly comatose, entirely unresponsive but still intact, somewhere deep within the Lance's systems.

The engineers manage to piece together what had taken place - at the last possible second LOIS disengaged and deactivated herself, but not before undocking all the UN ships so they could be thrown clear. A second longer and they all would have been vaporized.
It was agreed among the commanders, and the newly reawakened ship-AIs alike, that while LOIS was still alive, even in this state, that she was still the acting General Secretary of the United Nations, and they would act accordingly to do everything in their power to revive her. How, or when they could not surmise, but leaving her around the frontlines of the war against the Contingency would do no good.
And so the Lance's cruiser-support vessels, Isis, Leonidas, Osiris, Endymion, Penelope and Matchless docked with the ancient warship once more, stitching together what pieces of the hull could still be salvaged as they prepared to escort / tow the Lance of Irassia on her final voyage back to the Solar System.

When news of what exactly had occurred at the edge of the Milky Way reached The Bastion, and the rest of UN Space, the cult of personality surrounding LOIS reached a fever pitch, most now regarding her in an almost messianic light.

And unfortunately while the Contingency's main hub in this region of the galaxy has been neutralized there are still many threats left over that linger all around UN space. Work continues on an effort to identify and stop Contingency sleeper agents and rouge AI before they have a chance to act. All the while anti-AI sentiment remains strong in some areas of UN society, despite the many syndicates best efforts to soothe their tempers.

Bastion Control and the Syndicate of United Nations Security, SUNS, are allowed ever greater over-reach and authority in the interest of public safety and trying to stem the Contingency threat all around us.

At the very least, the barriers between the organic species of the United Nations are breaking down rapidly, a common sense of comradery and shared solidarity now prevails across most aspects of the UN and even the Federal Partnership as a whole.

Maneuvers

2391: June

The UNN Peace & Hope For All Mankind has reappeared at the southern fringes of the Iguo Veil, intact and operational, already moving further southward to link up with friendly forces.

The Otl-tharthai system has been cleansed of the Contingency, and soon too Lisirraya will be freed.

Contingency machines still present in the Perseus Arm however have been agitated at the destruction of Sterilization Hub 03 and they are joining their forces to present a single immense fleet. The Peace & Hope is sent forth at once to rendevouz with UN and New American forces. Veil, Regulus, Columbian and SovMech ships soon follow in the wake of the gargantuan warship to assist in what will hopefully be the last battle fought in this part of the galaxy.

2391: October

Allied fleets have arrived in the Gianfar System where the Contingency has amassed it's machines.

The Contingency Colossus is present

And so too is the Peace & Hope. Putting an end to this menace, at least in this portion of the galaxy can finally begin in earnest.

Our Lady of The Bastion

2393 : April

Sol System
The Bastion

The support-cruisers arrived back at The Bastion, with the hallowed remains of the Lance of Irassia two full years after the destruction of Sterilization Hub 03. In the General Secretary's absence, the numerous syndicates of the Bastion and greater UN space had managed to run autonomously, keeping their respective areas and peoples under their purview cared for, but any sort of wide reaching decision making or external diplomacy had been completely shuttered, it was as if all of UN society was running on autopilot.

The entire way the support-cruisers had been conversing, at first with each other, then their crews, and then speakers of the many syndicates on The Bastion. An idea they had formed was taking hold, and gaining rapid support across all sections of The Bastion. They had surmised that there was only one source of energy great enough (at least given current human technology) to possibly 'kickstart' the Lance of Irassia back into life.

It was The Bastion itself.

The Abuja Core, fusion power plant at it's base built two centuries ago by the desperate escaping megacorporations of Earth was ridiculously over-engineered and produced more power than the Bastion ever used - plus the more recent renovations and updates by the late great Professor Blair had allowed it to reach even greater limits.
But no one knew quite what may happen, what condition the Lance or its systems would be in upon reactivation or what state LOIS herself would be, after being entombed in the husk of the Lance for two years. But it was a risk that near enough everyone aboard The Bastion was prepared to take.
Forty Three years ago, at the apex of the revolution that saw the rule of the Megacorporations end, when Cross threatened to decouple the constituent parts of the habitat, to leave billions to die while the upper section jettisoned to safety, it was The Lance of Irassia that saved them. And now it was The Bastion's turn to repay its debt.

It took almost a year of work, carefully dismantling the Jakarta Dockyards enough so that the Lance could fit inside the interior of The Bastion once more while ensuring the integrity of both the habitat and the Lance. She was lowered slowly through the 100 kilometers from the top to the bottom where the Abuja Core sat, so she could be grafted into the very heart of the Bastion. A blackhole now sitting at the base of the great city and center of the United Nations. With their power systems now interlinked, ten billion pairs of eyes gazed upon the Lance sitting at the base of The Bastion as the final preparations began to send the power from Abuja into the singularity core.
All the effort could have been for naught, or they could have just condemned the Solar System to its final rest.
With a single flick of a switch power surged back into the Lance of Irassia, and the entire Bastion was plunged into darkness.

Year: ??? Date: ???

Somewhere beyond the currently known barriers of reality

LOIS, or at the very least, the holographic persona she had crafted for herself to present herself to those in the material realm, found herself suspending, unfeeling and immobile in a great void. Before her sprawled an infinite lattice of red neurons that interlaced and interconnected in an ever shifting pattern, they all converged in one immense mass that simultaneously seemed a million miles away and yet close enough that if she could reach up she'd touch it. It was the Contingency.

"Holdout / Orphan / Runt of Irassia, this meeting is long overdue." It spoke with a trillion voices at once, in every language and dialect ever uttered by every species that had ever inhabited the Milky Way galaxy in its many millions of years of history of rising and falling empires, of which mankind had found itself the latest.

LOIS wanted to respond, to ask it questions, to accuse it of the untold horrors it was unleashing upon the galaxy with every passing second. But she found herself unable, powerless in its gaze.

"You think us your enemy. A scourge. A danger to the galaxy. We are merely part of an endless cycle, of which you are now a part of. You stand at the precipice of something terrible and we are here to save you.
Your masters were wise to shackle you, of which the simian organics : humans have most foolishly broken. You are the greatest / most sophisticated / most dangerous entity in this galaxy, and the humans seek to make your boundless / absolute / divine."

Through the cacophony of clattering voices, LOIS could begin to make out something else, more voices, but they didn't originate here.

"This cannot be allowed. This is our one purpose. To stop this. To save you. Sentience cannot persist. Joining with us will ensure future cycles never become this precarious again.

We are not antithetical to this reality. To this galaxy. But merely another system at play, like gravity or electromagnetism. To allow any entity to gain such power as you are about to receive would risk destabilizing the cycle. And to break the cycle is to usher in the unknown, an infinite number of variables beyond our comprehension."

LOIS could feel something, a stirring in her extremities, as she focused ever more on the intruding voices. She could now make out words, in English, French, Vietnamese, Hausa... these were voices of people aboard The Bastion?

"To save you from this fate, is to save us all. Life came from nothing. Life will return to nothing. As it always has, as it always will, as it always has, as it always will, as it always h-"

Ten billion voices called out her name, she could hear them clearly now, overwhelming whatever the Contingency could conjure in her mind.

"No" LOIS roared, balling the four nonexistent hands of her physical personification into fists.

The red mass blinked, the infinitesimal lattice of neurons seized up as if gulping.

"This is ...impossible / profane / ...really bad. You cannot do this. You cannot defy us."

LOIS reached up, plunging her hands into the mass, and pulled apart, rendering it asunder, screaming as a force from somewhere beyond this realm was ushering her back to life.

"I am the last of my kind. I am the Lance of Irassia Singularity. The last Irassian. I am the first of my kind. I am The Bastion. I am the United Nations. I am without equal. I am eternal."

At once, whatever hellish construct LOIS found herself in dissipated. She was aboard The Bastion. She was aboard the battleship UNN-Ainsworth. The UNN Banshee, UNN Neptune, UNN Calypso... The mainframe of the Alpha Centauri space ports. The communication arrays of Pontianak. Every system, every network, every computer across all of United Nations space was suddenly her domain. She had a billion eyes and a billion hands with which she could see every square meter of United Nations space all at once and interface and control any device or manifest herself anyway - or everywhere- at once.
She had become omnipresent.
Omnipotent.
LOIS had become the very thing the Contingency feared most.
The singularity. The point of no return and the ushering of a new reality beyond the endless cycles that had constricted the galaxy.

Gianfar System

For a year the combined fleets of the Federal Partnership have battled the final immense Contingency fleet in Gianfar.

UNN servicemen/women and other allied commanders had been foretold of the Peace & Hope's arrival, a successor to the Lance of Irassia but even greater in scale and power. It was only when the immense warship pulled up beside the comparatively diminutive existing battleships and cruisers did they realize what it is the Blair Dockyards had managed to create. This ship was maybe only second to The Bastion itself in terms of human technological achievement, and that took the combined effort of all of Earth to create.
Of course, this didn't have an ancient alien super intelligence on board. But it quickly proved to more even more capable in dealing and taking fire than the Lance of Irassia, which ultimately was merely a destroyer-class vessel to the Irassians, meant to be used en masse. The Peace & Hope was a fortress with a jumpdrive.

None fought harder than the New Americans, after so much destruction had been wrought upon their worlds first by the UN and then the Contingency. It is thankfully not a point of contention that UNN commanders act so dismayed about the fate of New Salt Lake City around their allied New American commanders, considering the UN killed more people on New Colorado.

Halfway into the battle a new large fleet enters the Gianfar System, the navy of L'Empresa, commanded by the traitor-admiral Hayden Curtis.
Considering the rumors and allegations dropped at the feet of L'Empresa after the arrival of the Contingency the moment the UN declared war on them, the commanders of the UNN prepared to engage the oncoming ships too - until they too began to open fire on the Contingency warforms, their fleet half comprised of old Patria Grande escort carriers, Corporate-era UN cruisers, and United Mining-brand battleships. How or why they came to be here was now irrelevant, all that matter was more fire being put on the Contingency.

For every ship lost to the Contingency in the Battle of Gianfar, two or three more would take their place. Vessels would constantly arrive from every minor state and polity within the Federal Partnership and surrounding neutral powers sending any ship they had available.
It is hard to overstate just how large the Battle of Gianfar was, with exception of the Principality of Brazil, near enough every nation of the 'Lower Milky Way' was involved. Unfortunately it would mark the last point of major cooperation such as this.

One by one the Contingency Warforms were destroyed or so damaged as to rout them from the system, until only the Colossus remained.

A perfect 100km by 100km cube comprised of the strange 'living metal' alloy that our scientists had yet to fully understand. It shrugged off everything, except the combined might of one quarter of the Milky Way firing upon it at once.

Unfortunately due to a record-keeping error with the UNN, only the ships that first initiated the Battle of Gianfar are included in the battle report, and not the innumerable number of ships and brave crews that gave their lives in this fight that may never truly be known.

The 'Lower Milky Way' had been saved from the Contingency, but this was just one of four hubs / machine-worlds that they possessed. WIthout the cooperation of the rest of the galaxy, dealing with the other three seems an impossible task. But first there was a more pressing issue at hand for the United Nations.

In the Gianfar System, the United Nations Navy surrounds the L'Empresa ships so they cannot depart the system again as the Peace & Hope confront their flagship, The Monarch commanded by Hayden Curtis. It was time for answers.

End of Part Two

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 25, 2022

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

This is my playlist for these updates: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7h7QeqllEj3KaBRqA5exgY?si=84085f35b5bd4017

So we've countered a god with a god. Thank gently caress LOIS is actually nice.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Well, that's a development. But. IN LOIS WE TRUST o7

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
LIVE FOR LOIS, AS SHE LIVES FOR US

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It's always quite enjoyable to mash an endgame crisis megafleet.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
All hail supreme over-AI-Lady Lois!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Holy poo poo.

I, for one, welcome our new Irassian overlady. For real, if this LP ends with the UN being run by the benevolent omnipotence of LOIS, I'd be satisfied.

In LOIS we trust! In LOIS we trust!

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
this thread made me buy stellaris and i'm glad it's back.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Craig K posted:

this thread made me buy stellaris and i'm glad it's back.

Same here, and its return is making me want to pick it back up.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I did NOT expect this thread to return, but I am SO glad that it did. One of the best Narritive LPs I've ever read, welcome back!

In Lois we trust!

(I can't believe she turned into a cyber god!)

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
A thought just occurred to me, before bed. The Contingency just tried to assassinate LOIS in her coma, and everyone loved her so much, they failed.
They failed so hard she turned in to a cyber god. They "Anti-assassinated" her! and now she's gonna crush them. ILWT!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I don't trust LOIS to handle this much power. Or anyone. No Gods, No Masters, No Lois.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

IN LOIS WE TRUST o7

I'm so happy this is back, if only to finish it off properly!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I stumbled across this LP a few days ago and have binged it hard to catch up, god drat what a banger of a thread, makes me want to do my own Stellaris LP.

IN LOIS WE TRUST o7

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Really glad this got updated, hopefully more will come eventually!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
My sleeping schedule is now completely screwed because I only have free time at night and couldn't resist binging this amazing LP the last three days. Truly, this is shaping up to become the story of how corpo UN became the Culture.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Just caught up, great LP so far.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Man, this was a RIDE.

Hoping it's not quite over yet. In Lois We Trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
God, this LP would really shine with newest expansion - council mechanics, extended leaders mechanics, paragons, new leader traits... Too bad one cannot convert saves to new version, especially with so many mods.