Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

bones 4 beginners posted:

So any country can just cobble poo poo together and throw it into space regardless of their ability to keep it there? I feel like you should have to pass a test or something, or like if you have "wiped entire village off the map" in your space program's record, you don't get to do more space for a while.

I think the goal was actually to not keep it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Droogie posted:

The best and brightest here, on top of the situation.

Puts

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

So any country can just cobble poo poo together and throw it into space regardless of their ability to keep it there? I feel like you should have to pass a test or something, or like if you have "wiped entire village off the map" in your space program's record, you don't get to do more space for a while.

You're right the UN should ban China from using space. What's that China you veto the vote? Oh ok China but please don't do it again.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

you were a naughty boy Xi, I'm grounding you from space

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Puts

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
china builds an artificial island in orbit out of rocket debris, claims space as chinese territorial waters

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

You'll find that demonstrating you can successfully cobble poo poo together and throw it into space confers you a wide degree of latitude on many things, once it's been successfully achieved. Especially if you can also split atoms.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
There is a 0 percent chance it hits land. It’s gonna end up in the ocean

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, America can't really judge China for their rockets going boom given we've blown them up with multiple people inside several times now.

I think space ex exploded one recently too

E: oh and there was that several billion dollar metric/imperial conversion error too. That one was hilarious

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

b-minus1 posted:

There is a 0 percent chance it hits land. It’s gonna end up in the ocean

Agreed. There is absolutely no chance whatsoever of it raining fiery debris on some hapless dipshit's mansion in Florida. No chance at all. May God strike me down if I am wrong about this.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, America can't really judge China for their rockets going boom given we've blown them up with multiple people inside several times now.

I think space ex exploded one recently too

E: oh and there was that several billion dollar metric/imperial conversion error too. That one was hilarious

Yes but have any of those reigned down sharpnel on my dodge stratus?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
It's been nice knowing you Europe sorry I didn't get to visit more

https://twitter.com/willripleycnn/status/1391172882840031233?s=21

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

low key sex master posted:

It's been nice knowing you Europe sorry I didn't get to visit more

https://twitter.com/willripleycnn/status/1391172882840031233?s=21

18,000 miles per hour sounds so fast

If it hits near a coast or something it's just gonna gently caress up local fishing, right?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If it hits near a coast or something it's just gonna gently caress up local fishing, right?

If 150,000 barrels of DDT off California haven't hosed up fishing, some risidual Unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine ain't gonna be a bother to anyone.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It'll burn up. it could smack you in the face and it'll feel like a child tossed a pebble at you.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So there’s a rocket. Big deal. I figure it’ll burn up in the atmosphere and whatever’s left will be no bigger than a chihuahua’s head.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Me when the rocket directly lands on my apartment.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Aha could you imagine this thing took out some holy site in Israel or Saudi Arabia

No why

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Donnie Darko turns out to be a documentary

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

This is getting progressively underwhelming.

Is Sealand somewhere close to that merger of the blue and yellow lines at all?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
https://youtu.be/X-wvbA-ARxc

Live chat with some footage

https://youtu.be/rPw6wPgtCb8

This one is better, it seems to show it moving in real time SO FAST

Spinz fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 9, 2021

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
It’s probably going to hit somewhere in Antarctica. :(:

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Crowsbeak posted:

It’s probably going to hit somewhere in Antarctica. :(:

The alien brain worms that have been frozen in deep ice for 500 million years are finally going to be set free.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Man, it would really suck if it landed somewhere along that middle line...

https://twitter.com/AerospaceCorp/status/1391160460150382598

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1391198708373544965

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Bronze Fonz posted:

This is getting progressively underwhelming.

I'm enjoying it, I think we should do this once a year. Two changes:
Polar orbit so no-one is safe
Do it lottery rollover style, so if it hits water you launch two next time, then four, and keep doubling until there's a hit.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

So there is a chance that it might destroy Perth? There is a god.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

I'm watching this thing move in real time over countries it's moving so fast. This is total bullshit. This type of rocket launch could kill thousands, and eventually will unless we outlaw them. gently caress this

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Unless who outlaws it? The US government? International law isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

no, it won't be going that fast by the time it lands.

most of it will break up / burn up during reentry, and the little pieces left won't hit very hard because they'll be like chunks of sheet metal dropped from the sky. a piece of sheet metal doesn't fall all that hard, like a direct hit on a person would injure or kill. but if you're in your house it'd just gently caress up your roof a bit.

the engines survive all the way to the ground, they are heavier and more solid and hit way harder. if you happen to be under them, you get squished. but even then, it's way less destructive than a bomb.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Spinz posted:

I'm watching this thing move in real time over countries it's moving so fast. This is total bullshit. This type of rocket launch could kill thousands, and eventually will unless we outlaw them. gently caress this

this is moonman posting

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Only outlaws will have uncontrolled rocket re-entries

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Unless who outlaws it? The US government? International law isn't worth the paper it's written on.

We need to shoot down any rocket anyone attempts to launch or just preemptively destroy them on the launchpad

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

GolfHole posted:

this is moonman posting

I googled and no I'm not racist

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Spinz posted:

no, it can't. it can only kill thousands of chinese people during launch, when it's full of like 500 tons of fuel and so can explode like a giant bomb.

an empty rocket is like a falling grain silo. very hard to imagine the scenario where that managed to kill a bunch of people eve if it does fall in a heavily populated area.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
https://twitter.com/walidbarahmeh/status/1391214973272068097

Still up ~15 minutes ago

e: Maybe down? IDK who this guy is https://twitter.com/rhZhao/status/1391218943491252225

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 9, 2021

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Klyith posted:

no, it can't. it can only kill thousands of chinese people during launch, when it's full of like 500 tons of fuel and so can explode like a giant bomb.

an empty rocket is like a falling grain silo. very hard to imagine the scenario where that managed to kill a bunch of people eve if it does fall in a heavily populated area.
Oh

I honestly thought that because of its great speed it would be extremely powerful

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Appears it may have reentered over the Pacific?

https://mobile.twitter.com/AerospaceCorp/status/1391220765765169153

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Am I going to die in my sleep tonight, in NE Arkansas (of being exploded by rocket debris)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

How much of gaza needs to be bombed for this unprovoked rocket attack?