Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah there's a lot of discussion in the CSPAM thread, with multiple goons sharing their experiences and lots of links to white papers and articles posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Senor P. posted:

Do we have a long covid thread somewhere?

Or is this it?

This has historically been the “debate if Long COVID is even real” thread.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Senor P. posted:

Or is this it?

this thread's pretty long

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I haven't read it because I'm already depressed enough about the state of public health, but there''s The Premonition by Michael Lewis.

Thanks, it's not exactly what I'm looking for but I might check it out anyways. Likewise The Great Influenza, which is excellent and I've read before but maybe should revisit.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Got my booster aaaaaand forgot that the shot made my periods an unpredictable disaster for a month or two.

Glad we’ve acknowledged that it does happen now though.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Senor P. posted:

Or is this it?

Not on this site, but if you are willing to stand it, there is a subreddit for long COVID out there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had to go to Urgent Care last night due to managing to injure my big toe to the point part of the nail needed to be removed, and once again was wearing a better mask than anyone else in the building, including the medical staff. It just strikes me as weird to see how many people are making do with procedure masks when a good N95 is not hard to get anymore.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well poo poo, finally got covid. Unfortunately have not got the latest vaccine yet but I did get all the ones prior so hopefully that helps.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

teen witch posted:

Got my booster aaaaaand forgot that the shot made my periods an unpredictable disaster for a month or two.

Glad we’ve acknowledged that it does happen now though.

I'm still mad about that. I didn't have a period for years from my IUD and the first covid shot turned it back on. I was perfectly happy not having periods!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Unlucky7 posted:

Well poo poo, finally got covid. Unfortunately have not got the latest vaccine yet but I did get all the ones prior so hopefully that helps.

Good luck goon, hopefully it's mild and goes away fast
:sympathy:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

is long covid that gif from fyad with the super long cat

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cactus Ghost posted:

is long covid that gif from fyad with the super long cat

Or like the "Do you love the color of the sky?" tumblr post.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Spinz posted:

Good luck goon, hopefully it's mild and goes away fast
:sympathy:

Much appreciated! The good news is the worst of it was the first couple of days, even if they did knock me on my rear end, and I am feeling much better now. The bad news is that my covid tests are still coming up positive so thats another week in isolation :(

Still could have been worse though!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 11, 2024

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
At the pharmacy to get my booster, mask on because I do not enter enclosed spaces with other people without one. Sitting in one of two chairs for the 15 min post wait.
Dude rocks up the counter, no mask, “hi, I’m here for a PCR Covid test.”
“Have a seat over there, we’ll be right with you.”

Fucks. Sake.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

CaptainCrunch posted:

At the pharmacy to get my booster, mask on because I do not enter enclosed spaces with other people without one. Sitting in one of two chairs for the 15 min post wait.

Fucks. Sake.

All the messaging is that COVID is now mild, and the equivalent of a cold, and you don't need to even isolate anymore. Big surprise people are listening to that.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

All the messaging is that COVID is now mild, and the equivalent of a cold, and you don't need to even isolate anymore. Big surprise people are listening to that.

I was about to ask why they need the pcr test if its so mild, but then I realized they're getting the test to make sure it's covid and not something serious.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what is something "serious"?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ivermectin deficiency.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

This isn't officially the case yet, iirc someone claiming to work for the CDC claimed that this was about to be announced, but the CDC itself hasn't said anything about it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

CaptainCrunch posted:

Fucks. Sake.

This is why I don't do the wait inside anymore, just gimme the jab and I'm out. I'll go sit in my car for 10-15 minutes, thank you.

Had a good COVID-related dark chuckle today. A dear friend who I haven't seen since before the pandemic put me back on his list of people to text whenever he's going to hold a Magic night, in an attempt to lure me back into socializing with that group. I've told him gently but repeatedly that he and his wife live in a highly social way that makes them unsafe for me to be around, since I'm in frequent contact with vulnerable people I could transmit COVID to and am in a vulnerable category myself, but it doesn't seem to sink in. The first "pls come play magic" text went out on Monday. This morning we get a follow-up cancelling the event, because their entire house has COVID for the fourth or fifth time.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They didn't even ask me to wait on either of my last two boosters. I tried novavax for my latest one and it had no side effects at all which was neat.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I now have a routine of getting my shots and going to the bubble tea place next door. I usually see someone else who just got a shot there with me.

Unless you really need the hand written record, hit da bricks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The wait was just to see if you had an allergic reaction and you would think you would know at this point.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

smackfu posted:

The wait was just to see if you had an allergic reaction and you would think you would know at this point.

Yeah after the second one I was like aright I’m out. They don’t care. No one cares. Surrender and face to bloodshed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Dudes at work saying they got the flu after getting the flu shot, and have gotten Covid after the first (and their last) vaccine, so clearly medicine doesn't work.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Kestral posted:

The first "pls come play magic" text went out on Monday. This morning we get a follow-up cancelling the event, because their entire house has COVID for the fourth or fifth time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Apparently, most people test negative for Covid 10 days after their initial positive test. Unfortunately, I appear not to be most people because I am still testing positive on day 10, albeit with an extremely faint line for what it is worth, and these are the antigen tests. I do not know if that makes me needlessly paranoid or not. Still, I will be isolating some more for the weekend.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed as heck but I do not want to give this to anyone if I still have a chance to.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

deep dish peat moss posted:

This isn't officially the case yet, iirc someone claiming to work for the CDC claimed that this was about to be announced, but the CDC itself hasn't said anything about it.

Yeah it's just rumours atm, and apparently the CDC isn't even going to announce anything until April: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/13/covid-new-cdc-isolation-guidelines-symptoms

Meanwhile here in Australia the federal government has left all that stuff up to the individual states and NSW, which generates roughly a third of the cases in the entire country, dropped the 5 day isolation recommendation back in October 2022 lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Cowslips Warren posted:

Dudes at work saying they got the flu after getting the flu shot, and have gotten Covid after the first (and their last) vaccine, so clearly medicine doesn't work.

"Oh wow, that sucks. How high did your fever get?"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Its just a mild case of the Deaths, come on back to the applebees corporate office folks!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Kestral posted:

This is why I don't do the wait inside anymore, just gimme the jab and I'm out. I'll go sit in my car for 10-15 minutes, thank you.

Oh absolutely. I was out the door seconds later. Ironically, this was my best shot so far. No pain from the needle, no side effects or even soreness in my arm.
Probably a placebo by this point.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you most definitely do not need to feel any kind of reaction for a vaccine to be effective

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Funny, I got Novavax this time around. Every mRNA version after the very first shot had me develop a fairly intense reaction (sandbagged in bed for a whole day). The Novavax was on par with the flu shot (i.e. at worst a sore arm).

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Apparently, most people test negative for Covid 10 days after their initial positive test. Unfortunately, I appear not to be most people because I am still testing positive on day 10, albeit with an extremely faint line for what it is worth, and these are the antigen tests. I do not know if that makes me needlessly paranoid or not. Still, I will be isolating some more for the weekend.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed as heck but I do not want to give this to anyone if I still have a chance to.

When my wife and I caught it in December, she tested positive for around three weeks and is just now feeling back to normal. The disease affects people differently, so the whole five or ten day rule of thumb seems not especially helpful (except for getting people back to work as soon as possible i guess)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeceasedHorse posted:

When my wife and I caught it in December, she tested positive for around three weeks and is just now feeling back to normal. The disease affects people differently, so the whole five or ten day rule of thumb seems not especially helpful (except for getting people back to work as soon as possible i guess)

Bingo. The 5 or10 day rule was always a compromise, so a significant number of people who isolated for 10 days would have passed beyond the acute phase of their infection but there was always going to be a percentage who were still actively infectious and the CDC thought that was an acceptable number measured against everything else. From memory something like 5% of cases were still testing positive 21 or more days after their symptoms first appeared, but of course that was 4 years ago in the very early days of the pandemic before most of the bigly mutated variants we've seen since and when most of the population hadn't been infected or vaxxed and were immunologically naive. I have no idea what the breakdown of percentages might be currently.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am finally over COVID, and I was going to finally get my updated Vax soon, but then I see there is a recommendation that you wait 3 months after recovery before getting the new vax? Is there a reason for this? Best I can find is a claim that it is to maximize the immunity time; Basically, you wait until the immunity you get from fighting it off wears off a bit then you get your Vax which would maximize the time you have the antibodies in your system. This feels a bit suspect though.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 3, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The point of the vaccine is to top up your antibodies but if you just finished fighting off covid you're going to be overflowing with antibodies already

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The stated rationale has always been that you’re at low risk for ninety days, so why waste an ostensibly rare resource? As you say, it is a bit suspect in 2024.

You’ll also see some recommendations by doctors here and thehre to wait for any possible lingering inflammation to go down, but the waiting period they give for that is shorter, one or sometimes two months.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/03/cdc-ditches-5-day-covid-isolation-argues-covid-is-becoming-flu-like/

quote:

COVID-19 is becoming more like the flu and, as such, no longer requires its own virus-specific health rules, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday alongside the release of a unified "respiratory virus guide."

In a lengthy background document, the agency laid out its rationale for consolidating COVID-19 guidance into general guidance for respiratory viruses—including influenza, RSV, adenoviruses, rhinoviruses, enteroviruses, and others, though specifically not measles. The agency also noted the guidance does not apply to health care settings and outbreak scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
CDC: just the flu bro