Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

learnincurve posted:

I have some positive news :) , ONS just released more figures:

in January alone the U.K. had 32,000 deaths due to a massive spike caused by poor management and the Kent variant. By May 1st 51% of the population had had at least one shot, and the April death toll total was 753.

This is absolutely wild and amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

greazeball posted:

Something I wonder about the British numbers is what about new infections? We all know the reason our governments prioritised old people for vaccines after telling us all year that they were just going to die anyway is just to get the death count down. Have new cases also been drastically reduced or is it like here and we're just trying to stop people dying to get rid of the bad press?

We’ve gone from 60k at Christmas to 2k/day.

But it almost seems too good to be true compared to other countries graphs idk it’s absolutely fuxkin amazing. The scientists who developed the vaccines should be given anything they want.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

freebooter posted:

Wasn't the UK also in lockdown for like four months from New Year's?

Yeah. We came out of it mostly a few weeks back. Everyone was still going to work though. Schools were back etc. So it still seems very very promising that the vaccine is working amazingly.

We’ve all but stopped international travel too. Need tests and have to pay £1750 to stay in a quarantine hotel for 10 days.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The UK tracing is pretty serious now. I’ve had daily phone calls since getting back from Sweden and taken multiple tests. Friends have had the police round if they’ve missed the calls and I believe the call locations are tracked to make sure you are not moving around. Border control were serious about seeing all the proofs too. Took way too long but it’s legit good now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the news media have really been beating up the story. Here's where they're at with infections:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/seychelles/

Their averaged rate peaked a few days ago at 145 cases. Which sound like not a lot at all, but since new year's they've had 6000 cases which is pretty significant for an island with a population of only 98,000 people.

They've also only had 28 deaths on the island throughout the entire pandemic, but 8 of them were in the last week.

E: of course that's only the numbers up to today, you never can tell where that exponential growth is going to end up

Hotel quarantine for incoming travelers. Asking for nothing apart from a negative PCR in the 72 hours before arriving is GUARANTEED to bring in cases, it's massively massively inadequate.

How many of the dead lot were vaccinated???

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It is weird that the doom posting goons have anecdotes that contradict entire countries and actual studies.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Can any fellow Britischer swine tell me why I got offered a vaccine appointment this week in London? I am not 40+, and I have no risk factors I am aware of... got me worried my GP knows something I don't

Ramping up baby. Getting everyone ready to kiss a ropey single Mam in a Nando’s! We can do this.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

^ they won’t let you on the plane if it’s not legit and doesn’t scan. It’s not hard to implement.

learnincurve posted:

Covid passports are a coming in the UK. Saying it’s for foreign travel but you can bet your arse there will be an “or” tacked on in a lot of workplaces, with the requirement being a negative covid test or you can show your passport - “mah freedoms” won’t be a thing when people are legitimately been made redundant in droves, it’s just going to make HR’s job easier.

It’s going to be the NHS app and if you don’t have a smartphone you can call 911 for a letter - probably using a QR code on both which would get scanned at passport control. The NHS loves a QR code.

I’m glad of it. I’ve got my second dose today and I’ve booked a holiday for my family for next year. I’m crossing my fingers and toes and balls that everything can get fuckin good again. This is, and has been, absolute hell.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How the gently caress is this real life

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why does it have some sort of resistance if it still has the spikes which we can gently caress up with the vaccine?? I don’t get how it works. Like how can it be more resistant if your white blood cells are still walking up to it like connor mcgregor and pulling its skin off?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lol

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

you mean the vaccination isn't magic? frick.

I wonder if it's a variant we haven't named yet.

Oh gently caress off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

America in 2 images

This guy is so close to understanding that governments don’t give a poo poo about marginalised groups here but instead he’s taken it to mean...?????

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I don’t know who’s joking anymore and you get probated for pushing back against insanely dumb poo poo lol. I’m just glad I got all 3 vaccines and am indestructible personally.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s quite interesting that the UK numbers are still trending down but the India variant coming right up. Like it’s only getting people that would get covid if that makes sense, rather than getting just anyone. That’s quite uncommon for virus’ isn’t it?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

911 was way funnier than this though at least.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mods rename me hulk hogan yakety sax meme

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TacoNight posted:

Remember the dancing nurses teaching us how to properly wash hands to fend off the coming pandemic? PYF covid memory.

Easily the inflatable Christmas tree festive killing costume

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m pissed off that it might be funnier than 911

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have the lady in the second window dispense fries directly into my mouth is that okay

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

As an office manager, I can tell you this capability exists and I use it often.

Ban this fuckin narc

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What’s the current uk hospitalisation rate and seriousness/ages vs like 3 weeks ago? Where can I find this?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pyrtanis posted:

Re: people not wanting to get the vaccine and insurance, one of my friends got the vaccine and had a reaction to it, was taken to the hospital and now has a hefty bill to deal with and is now not wanting to get the second shot :( and yes he has insurance

Pretty cool country

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

In the uk my doctor just texted me and I could book in for the next day. Only booked one at a time.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’d like to know how sick people are. Because cases rising is no surprise. My council and local police are advertising that you should just take regular tests now which I’ve never seen before.

“Many people with COVID-19 have mild or even no symptoms, but can still spread the virus. With regular self testing we can slow the spread and help protect the most vulnerable in our families and communities. To order your home test kit visit ⬇

https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests%94

Which is good of course. But it’s definitely going to make risk averse/contrary people worry even more.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This thread is very bad.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The only thing that will snap me out of being mad on the computer and being holier than thou is a children’s theme park, personally.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How the gently caress do people manage to go from running an ax throwing bar to getting hundreds of millions of dollars for covid testing lmao. Especially young people that seem Middle Eastern, in America. There has to be way more to this story.

I’ve currently got omicron and am not very well even though triple jabbed. I wish I had a 3,000 mile ferrari enzo instead.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Wow the free market in action baby what a system.

How the gently caress is that remotely enforceable by law if no contract point has been broken? It’s absurd.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wonder how much it cost to that instead vs just giving the staff who are leaving the pay rate they wanted

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Candace Owens is so loving thick she got owned by notorious thick oval office Joe rogan lmao. How anyone falls for the obvious grift in tyool 2022 is incredible

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

These forums are full of absolute lunatics who’s only joy in life is arbitrarily judging others in some sort of weird purity contest tbh. It’s odd as gently caress