Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

The zombies thing just popped into my head tonight as I wondered what the consequences of so many warm bodies harboring so much of the virus asymptomatic or otherwise and how it's basically infinite dice rolls on the mutation factor because
Squat racks

I'll eat your mom first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not necessarily. Statistics from cold/flu/sore throat symptoms are not disproved by the generalization from the study I'm unable to read. They only moved the bar for what classifies as asymptomatic.

So if 2 cold symptoms implies 5 total cases it really doesn't matter if two more of those case's liquid shits were the result of covid or not. Still 5 cases.

Recall from the placebo trials that people are generally used to just feeling like poo poo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hey, so in my country they're phasing in "anyone 50+" (born 1971 or earlier) to be vaccinated this week and onward, since they are apparently happy with what they could provide to 60+ a few weeks back.

Does anyone know what the evidence is, to support going by age downwards, once we're past the 65-year-olds?

I'm assuming the aim here is to reduce hospitalizations & deaths, and that a 54-year-old is slightly more at risk than a 44-year-old? But I haven't really seen numbers for that. In other words, how is vaccinating by age bracket better than just saying "it's a free-for-all" like the U.S. did in April?

Those numbers exist. Just look at CFR by age bracket.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Eh I wouldn’t be so sure about that.

China notoriously pays its scientists and associated workers pretty crap wages and I highly doubt they take the same levels of precautions.

It’s definitely not an intentional leak but I can 100% but it being accidental.

Pot kettle.

Maybe not 50 years ago.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I bring this up because of comments like these:

Specifically calling out how even asymptomatic COVID infections cause long term health "consequences". I have not heard of asymptomatic yet long covid effects ever, so if there is something to be seen there I'd love to see it. This reads, to my ignorant eyes, as doom posting in its most insidious form. Good intentions mixed with probably sounding things that don't make much sense when thought about.
IS there such a thing as no-symptom covid yet now I have bad balls?

"Post-COVID syndrome severely damages children's hearts: 'Immense inflammation' causing cardiac blood vessel dilation -- ScienceDaily" https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200904125111.htm

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lol what on earth

RWM has been driving the "masks protect you" and not "masks protect others" so individualism can be moral. Same shitheads also want to see peoples faces, tell to to smile etc etc

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jeza posted:

Even if it's 100% factually true, I can't help but feel presenting the stats in such a nakedly political way only serves to entrench the battlelines on the issue.

I'm sure fox News will have an outrage piece on it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the CDC leak, but I thought it was saying that even if America magically had a vaccination rate of literally 100%, that without additional measures we would still be facing growing spread.

You are. If you're one of the 5 to 20% of vaccinated people who get a breakthrough case you can still spread. Even doomer 20% still results in a r0 of <1

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Good to know they can breathe just fine without masks 👍👍👍

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mush Mushi posted:

Okay so anyone who still isn’t vaccinated in the USA is a victim of disinformation, distrusts the government, and/or is part of a community that generally (and incorrectly) perceives the medical and economic risks of vaccination to be greater than the risks of actually catching covid.

It’s only bad if they are right wing. Do I have that right? Even though if you talk to average working people the underlying reasons for vaccine hesitancy are largely the same?

Yes good job you cracked the case

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Why even share it out? The way propaganda works some lurker is gonna get radicalized.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

tagesschau posted:

Except for the part where some citizens are effectively stranded outside the country indefinitely, which you're trying to handwave away as just a little oopsie.

U r dum

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh nooooo. I sure am glad this admin is on the level. Glad covid ended after January

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Can't believe I ran into a "the flu kills more people" aregument while walking my dogs in late 2021.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lawsuits over what?

Right-wing loony anti vaxers, only in this one instance, have an issue with capitalism but still beat the individual liberty drum which it thrives upon.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Go off about CRT next you loving loony.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hofnar also believes the flu is more lethal and people just die with and not of covid

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Phizer didn't steal your precious tax dollars either.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Alcohol beyond a glass of wine a day is bad, and that's probably actually bad too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Well yeah, his response is already eugenics as evidenced by the border camps.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

NEO isn't doing very well at roughly 66% vax rates

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

You can test positive for months but you're only contagious for 10 days max.

5 days now!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How are u posted:

Well at this point its 20 unvaccinated idiots for every 1 old sick vaccinated person.

This variant

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lazy posting like "ohio had a lockdown" or "dogs see in black and white" ironically have no nuance and are false.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How could communism do this?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I think the work requirements have long sailed at this point.

Supreme Court shooting Osha down gave the admin excuse to do nothing more

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oracle posted:

Wear an n95 and warn people. Yes, even in the bathroom/breakroom/during lunch (eat outside you sick bastard).

That's responsible but the boss may fire them for coming in sick, also if they don't.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How are u posted:

Everywhere isn't literally locking people into their homes for months on end, starving them, and forcibly taking them away to quarantine camps. That's the part that isn't sustainable.

You really are the worst poster

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thanks for espousing the false "vaccines are all you need" which had lead to all authorities in the US abandoning NPIs.

Thanks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

We really should get rid of all animals that are not dogs or cows or chickens. No dog diseases, no cow flu, no mad chickens.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Every time it replicates there is a chance for a mutation. If 3 billion people have had it that is many billions of of replications in a space of less than 3 years. People with lousy immune systems who continue to test positive for months give it lots of chances at bat too.

New variants become dominant frequently because it is a novel virus. The original was merely the first time this virus became reliably contagious between humans. That isn't the same as being well adapted to spread among humans. So it makes sense that loads of variants are still dialing in the the best adaptation of this virus in humans.

IDK it makes sense to me that a novel virus would behave the way we've seen.

This isn't true.

Animals have it too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Your time will come

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gio posted:

it’s people chomping at the bit for me to get covid that makes my resolve greater. much appreciated. :)

No problem friend. I hope you really beat yourself up when you do fail as you obviously feel it's a personal decision.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are those all herpes? I figured *pox was regarding symptoms and not viral biology

Efb

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you smell smoke (assuming covid has left you able to smell) there's a fire somewhere.

Imagine if the science of this current admin wasn't based around political science.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I went to a buffet with my anti vax friend and she somehow managed to get the actual flu out of it and avoid covid.

Wtc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Captain Stalin posted:

Dumb question, why is it suggested you wait 3 months after infection to get a booster?

They've just opened up second boosters where I am, and about a month ago I had something that near matched up with COVID exactly. Only, I never tested positive on the rapid tests, testing once a day for two weeks. Also, no one else in my household came down with anything like what I was having, but as soon as symptoms started I isolated myself for two weeks in the basement.

I want to get the booster ASAP, but can't find any information regarding the 3 month wait, so I don't know if its safe to do so, and the pharmacy tech I was talking to waffled about whether or not I should wait.

iirc that's about when transmission viability (read popping positive) fell post vaccinations/disease/prior immune response. Advice formulated pre delta? Probably still valid.

You'd be sorta double dipping if your illness was covid; given testing, unlikely. The big * in "unlikely" is if your negative tests were an error in the mechanics of testing.