Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

“Basic hygiene” for the flu was understood to be clean hands. It turns out that’s really not a major mode of SARS‐CoV‐2 transmission and there is every reason to suspect that the flu is the same way.

The two effective ways to avoid the flu were getting vaccinated and not hanging out with a bunch of people indoors. All the teachers with the hand sanitiser habit just got lucky. Maybe some will wear masks now, but that was never a thing before because our understanding of “basic hygiene” was woefully inaccurate.

I thought masks weren't actually terribly effective for the flu, and that was what caused all the messaging fuckups at the start of the pandemic until it turned out that the masks actually did something for covid-19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bina posted:

Unfortunately, I just recovered from Covid.

I got sick around the 18th, and am now on day #2 of back to work. (I quarantined, and got the ok to return)

I am still going to get my booster, and thankfully got both my Moderna Vaccines.

I'm pretty sure I got it through the break room at work. A few weeks prior to my infection I had changed my eating habits and chose to sit in the break room because I had access to a microwave and a fridge. Not doing that again...

Condolences. My wife just got a positive Covid test a few days ago... a week after recovering from what we thought was a moderately bad cold or allergy attack. At the time she had multiple negative tests, so now we get to try to guess whether she had a mild case that testing missed initially or if that was an unrelated episode and the worst is yet to come--or if it was unrelated and she just got a false positive this week.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You'd think the antivaxxers would want more people to get vaccinated. Like, any day now the 4 billion rubes who got vaccinated are all going to simultaneously keel over dead and the virtuous antivaxxers will inherit all their stuff, but why stop there? The more people they can fool into taking the death serum, the more stuff will be up for grabs after Bill Gates activates the kill switch.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NecroBob posted:

could also be just garden variety brain damage

another victim of 5G :saddowns:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

empty whippet box posted:

lmao @ referring to abortions as people 'killed'. gently caress your nonexistent dead babies you dumbass, you're a moron and you should go away and never come back because you aren't welcome here, goodbye.

just jacked myself off, tens of millions of babies dead in an instant. the sewers choke with the corpses of my victims. the death tolls pales in comparison to the billions killed by "satanthony" fauci and his death shot, but still horrific. hitler? never once jacked off in his life. a mere 6 million murders makes him practically a saint by comparison.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

get some black cum in ya and your worries will be over

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

How do you guys measure cases in the US? For example in Europe the metric is the accumulated number of cases per 100k people over 14 days. In Germany it's 7 days.

What has been the incidence in your states lately?

I want to weigh in on the restaurants thing but I want to make sure we are speaking the same language.

For example, until October of this year we (in Germany) had an incidence below 50 (50 cases in 100000 people in 7 days). Restaurants require testing or vaccination for in-door dining. Now with increasing numbers, it's vaxxed only.
In these conditions, I find it crazy to be so afraid of dining (even outdoor!) that one counts restaurants visits in 2021 on the fingers of a single hand, after vaccination!
(Edit: Now things are much more serious and it is much more understandable. My point is about Summer and low incidences)

I have been dining indoors frequently, as well as most people I know (overwhelmingly vaccinated people). Nobody got it during Summer. The first "friend" (not anymore) I know that got covid was the libertarian who was either not going to restaurants anymore or, at some point, forging test certificates (I called him an antisocial liar for that).
Edit2: he got it from a house visit from another unvaccinated person (unvaccinated people have their own circles nowadays, I guess)

My state hit 50 cases per 100k people per 7 days in early July, has been over 200 since the start of September and is now pushing above 350. There was a 2 month stretch where the incidence was substantially below 50/100k/week, but basically all pandemic control measures got scrapped halfway through that stretch. So we spent the first couple weeks of that brief window avoiding restaurants because we were waiting to see if the decline would stick and we spent the last several weeks of that window avoiding restaurants because we saw the writing on the wall.

We did take advantage of those ~2 weeks of relative security to go to a couple restaurants, but having gotten used to not going out to eat we weren't really dying to spend all our time in restaurants anyhow :shrug:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

John_A_Tallon posted:

There's a perverse argument to be made that if we collectively don't value human life as much as we used to then we should reconsider laws that protect human lives. Drunk driving, age restrictions on cigarettes and alcohol, seat belt laws, and so on are just an expression of how much we care about our fellow humans; same as how willing we are to mask up. Not that I'm advocating for throwing all those laws out, but I do think that if you were to talk to an anti-masker about those laws they'd probably be in favor of "throwing all that liberal poo poo out."

most of them were talking about how those laws should be thrown out years and years before the pandemic. tens of thousands of vehicular fatalities a year are basically a rounding error, we should all just live our lives and get the nanny state out of our business.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

if you find the clue, they invite you to join the illuminati

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I'm actually amazed by it all and have genuinely begun to wonder if people around me experience consciousness the same way I do.

probably not! there are all sorts of documented differences in how people experience consciousness and it's the kind of thing that is probably a lot more varied than we think because it is both broadly taken for granted that how you experience the world is how everybody experiences it and also really hard to describe to someone who doesn't

it's actually really cool, at least the part that doesn't involve people convincing themselves that literal plague cults are a great idea

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the profoundly depressing thing is that last winter with the bare minimum token NPIs we prevented tens of thousands of deaths from the flu and instead of going "hey we can easily crush the flu the same way we fought covid" we decided "hey we can easily live with preventable covid deaths the same way we live with preventable flu deaths" :smith:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Skyscraper Raccoon posted:

Well then the SC should be reading the forums more often to find out what the law actually says. They seem to be making a lot of mistakes!

it's almost as if the SCOTUS has wide latitude to interpret the law to say whatever they want it to say

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

Risk assessment and tolerance are pretty personal, and in nations where there are no lockdowns I can't really fault folks too much if they're fully vaccinated and want to just live life to the extent they are comfortable.

It gets a lot less personal when you are assessing the risk you pose to other people and decide "eh, I'm OK rolling the dice on them."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bucswabe posted:

I'm not all that interested in this protest, itself, but I am very fascinated by the media and public reaction to it. Personally, I think there is a huge amount of daylight between being anti vaccine and anti vaccine mandates (I myself am 100% pro vaccine, and 100% anti mandates). Can we really say for sure, in this case, that the bad apples represent everything this protest stands for? Would we be OK with a statement like that if there was a BLM protest where someone put a sign on Terry Fox?

On a forum that routinely (and rightfully) boasts "ACAB" are these acts of "vandalism" really so egregious?

I really don't want to be provocative, and start some poo poo storm, but I'm now 2 years into being basically forced into complete social isolation, and I've never felt more despair in my entire life. All I want is for people to have a bit of empathy on all sides...

wanting antivaxxers to get vaccinated is an empathetic response. supporters of vaccine mandates are literally wishing good health on their enemies.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

900,000 US deaths above the annual averages that just so happened to coincide with a global pandemic (and the rises & falls in the excess deaths graph just so happen to perfectly mirror the covid cases graph) ...... hey it could be anything!!! It's just one big mystery!! :v:

obviously all the excess deaths were caused by carbon dioxide poisoning from Anthon Fauci's Death Masks

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

other articles by the author:
"the case against bedtime"
"the case against brushing teeth"
"the case against not getting a toy from the toy aisle"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I've been following this thread pretty closely for the past few weeks at least, but maybe I missed it? What about this MSN article that says the initial "lock-down" of society only accounted for a .2 percent of Covid deaths in the early days? I have mixed feelings how to make sense of thinfs. I just wanted to ask

The other really garbage part of the study is that it admits that many components of a lockdown such as shutting down bars and schools saved substantial numbers of lives but then it separates out a nebulous "lockdown" status that it attributes negligible impacts to.

So basically, the paper says "gee, if you strip out all of the lives saved by lockdowns shutting down major pandemic vectors, it turns out lockdowns didn't do anything, so we should never shut anything down! :downs:"

e: the nugget of truth in the paper is that a lot of people will play it safe especially during major infection waves, so the difference between fully open vs. fully locked down is smaller than you'd think since some people will voluntarily treat it as locked down. but this isn't a very good argument for keeping things open because the flip side of this is that the economic advantage of staying open is also smaller than you'd think because businesses will still lose customers to people playing it safe. treating the pandemic seriously and using lockdowns to create a sense of safety so that everyone can fully engage in the economy once things are under control has consistently led to better economic outcomes than keeping everything going at a slow burn and hoping consumers voluntarily hurl themselves onto the pyre of Mammon

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 3, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

chainchompz posted:

I'm not sure that this is the right way to say it, but as someone that has been working in-person almost all of this pandemic in my own slice of Chudsville, USA/Hell where I have to put up with anti-mask jagoffs day in and day out, the vibe of "as office workers we must be allowed to stay working from home in the safety of our houses while everyone else keeps the material conditions of society running for us" kind of comes off as a little out of touch, privileged, and kind of whiny- very real pandemic dangers to avoid and worry about aside, of course. Bear with me here everyone that has to work in-person this whole time and are getting exposed to it on a daily basis are the ones getting the shaft, not cushy desk jockeys that can do their job remotely complaining that they might have to be around other people again.

Increased spread hurts everybody. As tempting as it is to say gently caress 'em, throwing remote workers into the fire just makes it hotter for the people already there. The inequality of the situation definitely sucks and those who have the luxury of remote work should be more mindful of it, though.

(FWIW I work in a small office in a rural red state and have been showing up in person for the past ~20 months and have basically been the only person masking since last May.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

I too have to go to work in person every day and not once have I thought "actually what I need is even more in-person exposure, let's force the remote workers to come in."

lol this reminds me that we brought in a new team at the start of the pandemic that have spent a combined total of perhaps 10 minutes inside the main office. my wife was pissed at how unfair it was that they got made permanently remote when I went back to the office, but what's the point? they're not in client-facing roles and cramming twice as many people into the office for the sake of being fair would be miserable even before the massively increased disease circulation (covid and otherwise.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Austen Tassletine posted:

Indeed. A far better way to destroy education is to simply close all the schools again. Much more efficient.

lol, there's nothing there to destroy. it's always just been state day care, the pandemic has shredded whatever veneer of education was left. most states are working on stripping away all requirements and qualifications for teachers just to get warm bodies to replace all the teachers that are sick/retired/dead.

not to say that having public child care isn't important, but lol at clutching pearls about kids missing out on all the precious knowledge that they were definitely going to get sitting in school. let's just cut the bullshit and admit that it is and always has been about keeping kids occupied and out of trouble so that parents can go to work

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

I get your larger point, but children learn things in school. The hyperbole doesn't help.

that's more of a happy accident, and certainly isn't a priority of anyone pushing to turn schools into plague warehouses manned by anyone with a pulse rather than try to work out a sustainable hybrid model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiny Myers posted:

It's not a lack of wanting to socialize with people, it's expressing basic empathy for people like this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/17/us/high-risk-covid-immunocompromised.html

My best friend is disabled. My aunt is immunocompromised. It's frustrating to see people treating their lives as acceptable casualties because they want to go to Applebees. Everyone would be collectively in a much better place and on track to visit loved ones much more regularly if we stopped trying to force open biden while the death graph hikes higher and higher.

Like, man, I miss being able to hug people, I miss going to the mall, I miss eating lunch in a restaurant with my mom. But I'm not going to risk lives by pretending the pandemic isn't happening.

The frustrating thing is that if everyone collectively cooperated on the smaller sacrifices, we might not have to make as many big ones. If everyone was on board with getting takeout and wearing masks in stores then hanging out with friends wouldn't be a big deal. But some people act like if you ask people to do any NPIs at all then you might as well just weld them into their apartments to be depressed and alone forever.