Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Something that folks like our recently-probated friend are either overlooking or willfully ignoring is that this is a disease with widespread consequences for the people it infects that don't require hospitalizations, and can occur even for asymptomatic infections. Exponential case growth even without it being a leading indicator of hospitalizations down the line is still a bad thing and a sign that the situation is worsening and needs to be taken seriously, not doomposting, unless you don't believe in long COVID and the other ills we've seen in the aftermath of a "mild" or asymptomatic infection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
There's something peculiar about very high fevers. My one experience with a 106F fever was that I felt exhausted, but actually less terrible than when I'd been at 103-104, and actually thought I had passed the worst of it and was on the mend right up until an Urgent Care doc told me I needed to go to the ER right now. This lines up with a number of anecdotal accounts I've heard from people whose fevers hit those extreme marks: it's as if, once the fever gets high enough, it exceeds the body's threshold for processing how bad the fever is.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Deeply curious whether Novavax will end up being a worthwhile option.

I’ve yet to get COVID, respirator life is real until better vaccines come along, but the boosters now lay me out for most of a week, and the last two boosts exhibited some rather alarming symptoms that seem in line with myocarditis. Unfortunately I need to get some dental work done and there's no way I'm stepping into a dentist's office without being freshly boosted, especially since that appointment will assuredly land right at the height of this wave, so I'm weighing my options on what to get this time 'round.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I spent a day calling around to various dentist offices in my city to find one who still had decent covid protocols. Finally found one, who now has the entire local Still-COVIDing group as new patients.

It might be worth the time to do the same. Dental health has implications for overall health and immune health.

Completely agree. Dentistry for anything other than aesthetics is non-optional, I've seen too many really horrible problems arise from neglected teeth to take any chances there. Let that poo poo go long enough and you'll be in the hospital, and if your goal is Not Getting COVID then a week-long hospital stay is worse than a couple hours at a dentist's office by far. Sadly my choices of offices are fairly limited around here, and my region is fairly chuddy so I don't have high hopes for finding an office that gives a poo poo, but it'll be worth asking around during the two-week downtime while I wait for the shot to kick in.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Which specific shots did you get? Every Moderna vaccination I got thoroughly kicked my rear end, but the Pfizer bivalent I got last time was no worse than a flu shot for me, very mild and manageable. If all your shots have been from the same manufacturer, trying the other one seems like it would be worth a shot. If you've gotten that level of side effects from both of them, then giving Novavax a shot seems like a reasonable thing to try, if it's actually available.

Pfizer and Moderna alternating, twice each; I was keeping an every-six-months schedule for a while, until I started getting concerned about how I was reacting to them. The original 2021 shots were not fun experiences, but the 2022 ones were noticeably worse both in symptoms and duration. I get hit harder by these things than anyone I know.

Novavax isn't available anywhere yet, but they've said they expect to have it in pharmacies next week. I'm currently planning on waiting until I can book that appointment, then looking at the current state of the data and making a choice one way or another. Fingers crossed!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Anyone have relatively recent sources on the actual protection rates of the mRNA vaccines, in terms of sterilizing immunity and protection against symptomatic infection? Doing my final research before booking a shot this week, and I was shocked at how seemingly poor the Novavax numbers were: 31% against detectable infection, 50% against symptomatic infection. That's barely into flu shot territory!

At the same time, I'm seeing article after article claiming that it's "roughly as effective" as the mRNA shots (which is loving grim for the efficacy of those shots too, tbh) using that verbiage so consistently that it sets off my "journalists quoting journalists quoting journalists" alarm bells, especially since nobody seems to want to show their sources. Unfortunately I haven't found any data that are terribly recent either, but I'm also out of the loop on this. I realize the data is almost hopelessly muddied at this point, but anything helps.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Thanks, folks - god, what a mess of data. In case it helps anyone else, I did find a CDC slide show on vaccine effectiveness dated Sept 12 2023, which seems to suggest that 50%-ish is accurate for immunocompetent adults. Also shows quite starkly how quickly the VE falls off a loving cliff after three months. We've known that for a long time, of course, but it's a usefully unambiguous chart to show anyone who thinks a jab six months ago means they can go suck and gently caress with impunity.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Platystemon posted:

That’s what I told myself last year about the shot targeted at BA.5, and BQ.1 & friends promptly muscled in and kicked out BA.5. Well played, virus.

The good news is that this time around, XBB.1.5 was outcompeted months before the vaccines were even manufactured, so timing is unlikely to be so critical.

I imagine timing concerns would be more about being Max Titers during whatever you perceive your period of greatest risk to be, yeah. I tend to agree with Wendigee about first or second week of November being some value of "optimal" unless you're doing Halloween socializing for some reason, that's what I'd normally wait for if my personal needs weren't accelerating the timetable.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

MrQwerty posted:

it's funny that people say "covid is just the flu" because every time I got the flu for real, it lingered just like covid. Probably worse, tbh.

People do not understand the difference between a bad cold and the flu. Influenza nearly killed me, and some of the damage inflicted is permanent. That disease does not gently caress around, get your flu shot.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

As far as I know literally nobody has had real long term effects.

I’m going to take a wild guess here and say that none of them had any significant examinations to show whether there were long-term effects beyond what the naked eye and “do I still feel like poo poo” can perceive.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

CaptainCrunch posted:

At the pharmacy to get my booster, mask on because I do not enter enclosed spaces with other people without one. Sitting in one of two chairs for the 15 min post wait.
Dude rocks up the counter, no mask, “hi, I’m here for a PCR Covid test.”
“Have a seat over there, we’ll be right with you.”

Fucks. Sake.

This is why I don't do the wait inside anymore, just gimme the jab and I'm out. I'll go sit in my car for 10-15 minutes, thank you.

Had a good COVID-related dark chuckle today. A dear friend who I haven't seen since before the pandemic put me back on his list of people to text whenever he's going to hold a Magic night, in an attempt to lure me back into socializing with that group. I've told him gently but repeatedly that he and his wife live in a highly social way that makes them unsafe for me to be around, since I'm in frequent contact with vulnerable people I could transmit COVID to and am in a vulnerable category myself, but it doesn't seem to sink in. The first "pls come play magic" text went out on Monday. This morning we get a follow-up cancelling the event, because their entire house has COVID for the fourth or fifth time.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Battle Pigeon posted:

Couldn't dad ask the neighbours/whoever else to take a covid test on the day of the dinner (or even that day and the day before etc) and then go over if they all test negative? Pick a nice day and eat outside?

If relying on people to properly administer and report self-tests worked, we wouldn’t see outbreaks at, for example, CDC conferences and major political fundraising events. If I were that old or that vulnerable, I sure as hell wouldn’t risk my life on someone else’s say-so, especially since most people don’t think it’s any big deal. “Oh yeah there was a line, but it was so faint and I feel just fine!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Scarabrae posted:

You can go and wear a good N95 the entire time and you’ll be fine, I prefer the 9210+ Aura with the braided straps, or wear an elastometric with P100 filters to go even further beyond

Proper masking is what will save you from everyone else

5 to 8 hours of maintaining a good seal on an aura in that environment isn’t really viable (especially since it’s a dinner event) and as much as I appreciate elastomerics, I wouldn’t want to wear one for that long. Is the risk manageable? Sure. Is it worth putting the vulnerable people in my life, myself included, in jeopardy to play a card game? No, it’s selfish and short-sighted.

I’m just thankful that one day I’ll be out of this mess via vaccines, since I’m not immunocompromised/suppressed, just (“just”) high-risk. It’s the people who don’t have that hope on the horizon who are in a deeply loving grim situation - and that’ll be a lot of us at some point, between cancer treatments and corticosteroids.