Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

QuarkJets posted:

No one's doom posting, we're talking about not treating vaccination as a magic elixir

There are absolutely posters fantasizing about fully vaccinated but insufficiently strict people being punished for their sins with horrible new mutant variants, for example:

Sjs00 posted:

Hey when the Covid19 virus mutates into a no poo poo for real rabies/zombie virus you just let me know because you will encounter that poo poo before I will (if you go to the gym)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

are they saying since march 2020? because according to NYT there were 26 deaths on St Patrick's Day 2020.

E: And we're over 300 today alone.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrendscases

As of yesterday the US 7 day rolling average was 545 COVID deaths per day. That's the lowest it's been since the end of March 2020. Last year March 31st's rolling average was 457 per day and April 1st's was 552.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

boar guy posted:

does that make up for what a stupid open everything up rear end in a top hat he was last year? was pretty sweet watching the bloom of counties in ohio turning red from the south up as that jackass hosed everything up

He's also trying to deny the extra unemployment benefit that the feds are giving out from the latest stimulus bill, he definitely sucks. But it seems like the lottery was a good idea at least! Anybody choosing not to get the shot probably understands probability poorly enough that they are exactly the kind of folks who a lottery could work on.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

They'll just buy the cards off ebay and lie and put numbers and "MODERNA" on it.

I think most people who are vaccine hesitant are just lazy about it and I'm skeptical that those lazy people will decide it's easier to forge a vaccine card than to just get one.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Trump getting corona was kind of amusing

If Trump's staff had let him do his idea of ripping open his dress shirt to reveal a Superman shirt underneath when he left the hospital, that would have been one of the funniest things of all time. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/trump-superman-shirt-surprise-hospital-coronavirus.html

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

MadJackal posted:

95% effective protection means it’s pointless since “You can still get sick.”

Most of the doomposters in this thread believe this as well.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/vaccine-tracker that's not what mayo says? Though numbers are continuing to track up so that's great.

GA is at 30.7% fully vaccinated. I am one of those people :unsmith:

Mayo clinic is saying % of entire population, the tweet is saying % of adults.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

Those vaccination maps are always fun because they tend to mirror political affiliation maps almost one-for-one.

I can't imagine why. I'm sure it's just coincidence.

In Washington state, 2020 support for Trump predicts vaccination stats even better than hesitancy over other past vaccines does: https://www.inlander.com/spokane/we...nt?oid=21698379

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It’s not great for vaccine perceptions when people say that the vaccines provide complete and utter protection and then they open a newspaper and read about real, honest, breakthrough cases.

If you’re not running an authoritarian state capable of and willing to suppress news of breakthrough cases, you should probably be honest that although rare, they do happen.

It's also probably not great for vaccine perceptions when people imply that the vaccines provide barely any more protection that we had naturally. If the vaccines don't help, why should I bother?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

boar guy posted:

we just spent a year and a half being conditioned to avoid everyone and be paraonoid towards everyone. i think it's stupid to assume that everything is just going to immediately ramp back up to normal

fyi i've been out twice, one time forced and one time voluntarily and i didn't enjoy either time due to the mask. so i'm gonna stay in a while longer, for the record

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being paranoid if someone wants to be. Personally I'm wearing a mask a lot more than the CDC says I should and still avoiding some activities that are probably quite safe. But I'm also admitting that I'm being a little irrational with some of that. Just as we should be honest that COVID is still a problem and hasn't gone away, we should be honest that fully vaccinated people really are living in a radically different safety environment than we were 2 or 6 or 12 months ago.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 1, 2021

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

I got a thing in the mail today...

... AND YOU CAN, TOO!

https://www.immunaband.com/

(note that the price of the name bracelet went up by $5 since the time I ordered mine)

If that QR code went Never Gonna Give You Up that would actually be a pretty good rick roll.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

It is possible though that it would have fallen even steeper with the mask mandate in place. We''ll never know.

Leonhardt makes the case further down in the thread that the mask mandate lifting *for fully vaccinated people* did help encourage vaccination.

https://twitter.com/DLeonhardt/status/1400064946575228930

So is it worth trading a relatively small number of unvaccinated number of people going maskless in exchange for increasing the willingness to get vaccinated among the hesitant? Obviously the numbers of each side of the tradeoff matter a great deal and it's impossible to know for sure, but it seems to be working out at this point.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

Basically, the argument is that while it didn't create much of a bump, it stopped the bleeding and leveled off?

This also coincides with a lot of states rolling out lotteries and other incentives to try to vaccinate. I think a lot of states also started opening age 12-15 at that point after a long period of 16+. It's hard to say what caused the decline to stop and level off.

That chart is only in age 16+ so opening vaccinations to age 12-15 wouldn't make a difference, but yes it's difficult or impossible to guess how much vaccination is motivated by the "you can go mask-free" offer, how much is motivated by the other incentives like lotteries, and how much is just people finally deciding to do the right thing. This is all complicated enough that it's tough to know for sure, but the cases broadly declining as discussed up-thread suggests that while the approach taken may not have been the best possible, at least we can be reasonably sure it wasn't an actual failure either.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Seattle, where I live, is now the first US major city to have more than 70% of ages 12+ fully vaccinated:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

My city can: Mayor: Seattle 1st major city to fully vaccinate 70%

So does this mean I'm allowed to go to Hawaii?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I thought I heard San Francisco hit it first?

Either way yes you can but you still need to get tested before you fly.

San Fran has more 1st shots done than Seattle, Seattle has more 2nd shots.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Seattle isn't 70% fully vaxxed. The eligible portion of Seattle's population may be 70% fully vaxxed but kids under 12 are still completely unvaxxed. (Kids also have lungs)

But that 70% goal was pretty much just an arbitrary number anyway since it's not possible to have population centres reach herd immunity if they're still open to all the under-vaxxed populations surrounding them. In any case the new variants probably pushed the requirement up to 80%.

I'm pretty sure that the 70% 12-and-up vaxxed yardstick for opening up was only ever just a carrot to entice vax hesitant people to bite the bullet and get the jab, it's actually a great way to shift the blame for the restrictions onto anti-vaxxers and get small business owners and everyone else invested in opening up to put all their energy towards shaming them instead of yelling at the city governors. 70% of ages 12+ is a great achievement and it'll push hospitalizations and deaths way down but covid will still be chugging merrily along and if you had kids under 12 you're pretty much poo poo out of luck, no one else cares any more.

Do you believe that I am safer or less safe than I was 6 months ago? I think I am safer but perhaps some people might think that my risk is still super high despite my own and my community's vaccination.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Check the fine print there, it depends on your insurance. I did some research on this for a client and as far as I could tell you have to pay out of pocket unless you get a referral from a doctor.

Of course this all varies by state and insurer but I got the impression it’s fairly standard.

It probably depends a lot on location because my city is still running testing sites free of charge.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Except people aren't taking them. When you have far fewer tests, of course you'll see a lower positive percentile. Because fewer people are taking them. Like, we talked about this this time last year and everyone agreed. I don't know why y'all have decided because it's not trump that things have changed.

Optimism is great, but essentially refusing to follow good research protocol sucks.

If anything far fewer tests should drive the positive percentage up, since people with symptoms are the most likely to take the test.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

I don't want to sound incautious, but we knew we wouldn't get a good sense of how well the vaccines prevent asymptomatic spread until we'd actually rolled it out into the population since it's a lot harder to test that than the incidence of symptomatic cases.

Here in NC we have a pretty pitiful uptake rate, around 44% of the total population with at least one dose, and yet our numbers are all trending down. In the last month our seven day average of cases has dropped by two thirds and hospitalizations are down by a third, all while test positivity has gone from 4% to 2% (as low as it's ever been outside of one day in March 2020). Last year we didn't see any meaningful decrease in anything during the summer, so I have trouble believing that things are suddenly improving due to weather when people are also packing back into restaurants and businesses. I don't think people here in general have ever been sufficiently careful, but they were definitely being more careful last year than this year--almost all of our restrictions were lifted back in the middle of may. I don't see what could be pushing this kind of decrease aside from the vaccines, and to me that feels like the best evidence that they have are extremely good at stopping real world spread in addition to symptoms.

We'll see how things go this fall with Delta and whatnot I guess. But for now, take a look at your local numbers and see how things are trending--even if things aren't at a comfortable point yet they may be moving in that direction. My county is just about back down to the new case rate it was when I locked down in march of 2020. It's hard not to brace myself for the other shoe to drop but things are looking up for now.

We're doing very well against COVID where I live. King County has 2.27 million residents and we've been under 100 cases per day continuously for the past two weeks, many days well below 100 cases. And we're still conducting 3000-4000 tests per day so it's not like we aren't testing for it, our positivity rate is below 2%.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 23, 2021

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Sjs00 posted:

So confession time. I went to a 4 hour class for a CC and masking was bad, this was Tuesday.

The next day (Wednesday) I went to a tax collector to get the paperwork done and in the mail ASAP. Developed a headache Wednesday night. Still have a headache this morning. Already feel like that 4 hour class hosed me.
Should I schedule a testing if these headaches persist? Other than that I feel fine. it could be screen fatigue. I am fully vaxed for over a month with Moderna
At least I now officially have a CC in the mail, fwiw. I actually learned a ton about what it means, like 6+ inch knives and pepper spray over 3 oz. consider getting your CC :)

The incubation time from exposure to symptoms is supposed to be 2-14 days so it would be pretty unusual for a headache 24-36 hours after exposure to be caused by COVID. It's not impossible but I would guess more likely than not that you do not have COVID, especially as a fully vaxxed person. Nothing wrong with being sure if you want though.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Another Bill posted:

There are places it's effectively over, the United States ain't one of them.

The city of Seattle has a population of 724k and our 7 day rolling average is 17.6 cases per day as of 6/21. 2.5 cases per 100k population is about as over as COVID might ever be. I'm still wearing a mask at the grocery store, but I'm not scared or nervous even a little bit unless/until something dramatically changes.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

What does NPI mean in this instance?

The point I was attempting to make is that Israel make indoor masks mandatory again and if things start to spike there after all they’ve done we definitely don’t have a chance. Specifically talking about hospitalizations.

If they remain low but cases go up that would mean things are working as they should.

NPI = non pharmaceutical interventions, aka stuff other than vaccines like requiring masks, restrictions on activities/events/gatherings, etc.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We eliminated smallpox and (until the CIA hosed it all up) were extremely close to eliminating polio with vaccines with 60-70% efficacy. Current measles vaccines are also only around 80%, and measles is a *lot* more contagious than covid, and we still have it basically suppressed in the west even with terrible uptake.

You do not need 100% efficacy *or* 100% uptake, just sufficient of both to get the R0 under 1. We don't know exactly what the magic number is (and things are being muddied at the moment because we still don't know how much to worry about asymptomatic spread) but there is a number less than 100% where we can start the party.

Ending smallpox also took many decades. We started doing smallpox vaccinations in the early 1800s, the WHO leaned in on global eradication efforts in 1950s and 60s, and it took about another 20 years from then. The idea that COVID could be truly eradicated in the short term is not particularly realistic.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try, obviously stopping it where and when we can is really good, but it's not like we could end this forever if everyone would just agree to another 3-4 month lockdown and everyone agrees "let's really stick to it this time, guys". COVID is going to exist for awhile no matter what we do.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Children are people, my friend.

Which is probably why their post said 70% of eligible people.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Haha yeah burying shitloads of people for years to come is gonna be great for my and everyone else's mental health, especially if this variant likes babies as much as it seems to.

Hate to tell you this but 2.8 million Americans died in 2019 before COVID happened. Even if we did the perfect lockdown and COVID went away forever, there is no universe in which we are not burying shitloads of people for years to come. Clearly you are having some trauma associated with the funeral work that you are volunteering for and you should consider not doing it anymore if it's this hard on you.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

It's actually genuinely difficult to get a handle on how bad the Lambda variant could be because Peru has been absolutely turbofucked throughout the entire pandemic and the variant hasn't made much headway in other countries yet

How many people in Peru are vaccinated? Obviously nobody in 2020, but affecting the curve in the past few months.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 7, 2021

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Currently 10.1% fully vaxxed + 4.2% first shot. They started early Feb with one million doses of Sinopharm and then about 3 million Pfizer and 300k AstraZeneca in early May.

They decided to vaxx their police, armed forces, medical staff and politcians in Phase 1 of their vaccinations and left the elderly and immunocompromised until Phase 2 which went somewhat poorly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_vaccination_in_Peru

I suppose it'll be several months before we have any clue how Lambda might interact with vaccines then. We don't even know much for sure about Delta yet.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

Goddamn we are never getting rid of this poo poo, right? We'll be stuck forever in this hellworld where everything fun is forbidden and/or highly dangerous, but on the flipside we'll still be able to work for scraps and play vidyagames in the little free time we have left!

This is true whether COVID is a thing or not.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

AEMINAL posted:

I know but there was a very detailed one once posted, like how many people got infected x days after their first shot. How much protection was provided etc.

This is for wild type IIRC and Delta is supposed to do better if you only have one shot so maybe this is out of date, but it really is around 14 days that it starts working.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

7of7 posted:

The semantics are really something these days. Nobody vaccinated has been hospitalized in LA but that doesn't mean nobody has been infected or ill.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1415107269411360768

Sure but "infected or ill" isn't necessarily a serious problem. It could be, but vaccination appears to make a difference there. I'd prefer not to get infected at all but it's not the end of the world if I get infected with no symptoms or minor short term symptoms. If getting COVID means there's a legitimate chance I go to the hospital, that's a big problem. If getting COVID means I'm fatigued for a couple days and have a cough but that's it, that's not a huge deal for me. It appears that vaccination makes the latter case far more likely and it's dishonest not to acknowledge those differences in hospitalization.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

7of7 posted:

The original quote in the BNO tweet said vaccination was preventing infection and illness, something that’s clearly not always the case as the article I linked showed.

I read the point of the tweet being where it said that "None of the county-operated hospitals in Los Angeles County have admitted a single COVID-19 patient who was fully vaccinated" which is to say that the vaccines reduce hospitalization. And the article you linked agrees, saying that "None of the workers infected were hospitalized, nor were there any fatalities." That matters.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Wait, what? This is the first I'm hearing that each person has a "good chance" of long Covid or long term implications. Source for this?

Part of the problem is that "long COVID" and "long term implications" are poorly defined. There are long COVID cases that are like, extra fatigue and difficulty exercising for a few months after it ends, which is a bummer but not life-changing, and then people with actually really scary and serious long term symptoms around brain fog and etc. They really probably shouldn't be lumped under the same term. More people get the former than the latter.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

whats a ligma?

lmao

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Zugzwang posted:

:agreed:

The thing we have no data on right now and won't for a while is what long covid with delta in the vaccinated looks like. It's frustrating as hell that denialists and the ill-informed keep trotting out the supposed low death rate as no cause for alarm, though of course 9/11 truthers kept bringing up the "jet fuel can't melt steel" thing for a zillion years, so.

We know very little about long covid and delta and vaccination for better or worse. The low death rate certainly doesn't mean we have no cause for alarm, we absolutely need to err on the side of safety, but frankly I think it's better evidence than the people calling COVID "airborne Parkinson's" do.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

If/when Tucker Carlson dies drowning in his own phlegm in a COVID ward, I hope it's televised.

I would bet every dollar I have Carlson is vaccinated. Fox News even has their own vaccine passport system for staff: https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/media/fox-vaccine-passport/index.html

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

ghouldaddy07 posted:

How come your Pfizer doses were so close together?

The standard in the US was usually 3 weeks apart.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Blooster posted:

My 6 year old son's school is filled with anti-mask chuds (well, the parents are I mean).

Caving to pressure from these loud-mouth mongrels, the school sent out an email today that they will be "requesting to higher ups in government to remove the mask mandate in the schools and make it a choice".

This is loving infuriating and terrifying me, especially as I read this:

Can someone here please calm me down and tell me that my son wearing a mask is extremely effective even though practically none of his classmates will be wearing them in September? :sigh:

I think "up to" is doing a lot of work there in saying that "up to 30% of children" will have long term symptoms. Not only is long COVID not at all well defined, spanning from "a little under the weather for 3 months" to "your life is significantly impacted" but we don't know much about incidence and severity of long term COVID in the general population much less kids specifically. I don't think we can say anything definitive at all about kids getting long COVID except that ideally they wouldn't want to get COVID at all in the first place.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Then break it down for them instead of purposely endangering people when the vaccines are not able to combat this by simply being vaccinated alone.

How does anybody get that from what I post? I bury people who die from this poo poo. Nobody wants this poo poo to increase. I want it to go the gently caress away so I don't have to listen to people sob through their headphone at zoom funerals in 13 loving days, again.

I'm sorry but COVID isn't going away any time soon. We all wish it would but it isn't. It wouldn't go away even if Joe Biden got replaced as president by the collective consciousness of this thread. This funeral position that you have said you are VOLUNTEERING for is clearly really bad for your mental health, not sustainable, and I'd advise you to stop doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Speaking as somebody who is nervous about COVID and masking indoors but not as doomer as most posters in this thread, I thought this was a well-written post that digs into the risks of COVID and long COVID (and actual serious long COVID) for a vaccinated person. https://www.mattbell.us/delta-and-long-covid/

For other folks like me who are don't have personal risk factors, don't have old people or kids to worry about, and just want to stay safe, I thought this was a good post that explains the very real risks that we still face without exaggeration. I encourage folks to check it out.