Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

learnincurve posted:

Yeh everyone’s going to get a booster along with the flu shot, and masks on public transport is never going away.

One thing we learned is that people in the U.K. are filthy buggers, and if we had done basic hygiene before this then most of those flu deaths were preventable as well.

“Basic hygiene” for the flu was understood to be clean hands. It turns out that’s really not a major mode of SARS‐CoV‐2 transmission and there is every reason to suspect that the flu is the same way.

The two effective ways to avoid the flu were getting vaccinated and not hanging out with a bunch of people indoors. All the teachers with the hand sanitiser habit just got lucky. Maybe some will wear masks now, but that was never a thing before because our understanding of “basic hygiene” was woefully inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

the holy poopacy posted:

I thought masks weren't actually terribly effective for the flu, and that was what caused all the messaging fuckups at the start of the pandemic until it turned out that the masks actually did something for covid-19.

If masks are ineffective for the flu, why have healthcare workers who have not received the influenza vaccine long been required to wear them six months out of the year?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is false.

It is true.

quote:

The long-range airborne, fomite and close contact routes contribute to 54.3%, 4.2% and 44.5% of influenza A infections, respectively. For the fomite route, 59.8%, 38.1% and 2.1%

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6121424/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Lol. We've known aerosol transmission is the dominant vector for a long time. That's not the point.

Did you ever consider that those numbers are the result of things like hand washing, etc.?

I responded to a statement that “if we had done basic hygiene before this then most of those flu deaths were preventable as well.”

Which is is? Most flu deaths were preventable with basic hygiene, or basic hygiene was already in effect and that’s the reason fomites didn’t place higher? I realize I’m talking to two different people here, but you can’t both be right.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

4.2 is a lot higher than 1 in 10,000 like it is with SARS-CoV-2. It’s not a huge source of infections but it is still there in a non-trivial amount, and that article even mentions use of hand washing and disinfection to limit spread.

You’ll find plenty of articles even today mentioning the use of hand washing and disinfection to limit the spread of COVID‐19.

I also wouldn’t take either of those numbers as gospel. We are watching a paradigm shift in progress. A lot of textbooks will read differently in a few years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Warm weather and school breaks will put enough of a damper on it that the big wave will come in the fall.

I’m not saying “oh it will just go away in the summer”. I am saying that those two factors are stronger than any current government action and that people will be caught unawares when those non-pharmaceutical non-interventions end and Rt shifts accordingly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One weird trick to save literal pence in contact tracing (original idea; do not steal):

Only trace half the cases. The half of people who got traced will defend your honour against the other half.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Seychelles island managed to get their population of 98,000 residents 60% vaxxed and then declared that the pandemic was over as far as they were concerned and threw open their borders to any tourist who could show a negative PCR test from the 72 hours before arrival, no vaccine and no quarantine required. That didn't go well for them, with a sudden surge in cases forcing them to close schools and ban sports etc etc..

drat. That’s a shame.

I want to visit the Seychelles someday, but not during a global pandemic and especially not when there’s a lit sign saying “WELCOME WORLD‐CLASS IDIOTS!”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

He not only got the game cancelled, he got the entire NBA season cancelled (and the NHL, MLB and MLS followed soon after). But that chain of events was also what convinced a huge percentage of the US population that this virus thing is actually pretty serious and they should stop loving around with it so in a weird roundabout way Gobert's dumb stunt probably saved a lot of lives.

“What if Gobert hadn’t tested positive?” and “What if Tom Hanks’ illness had been more severe?” are good counterfactual prompts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s an IHME estimate and I don’t think it can be true because it significantly exceeds measures of excess deaths.

It is possible for the real COVID toll to exceed excess deaths because traffic fatalities and such went down, but is there that much room for it to increase?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wonder if people who got only one shot and wimped out will be less subject to original antigenic sin if they later get mRNA-1273.351 or another vaccine targeting a mutant spike.

It is of course a foolish thing to do, but I’m curious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah the true asymptomatic rate isn’t ninety percent. It’s probably under a third.

What are the implications? Asymptomatic versus presymptomatic versus paucisymptomatic is a distinction without a difference to most people. What matters is that it’s possible to spread the virus without believing oneself to be unwell.

The argument and retraction over the German case study early last year did a lot of damage, similar to the persistent litigation over “airborne”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Chronic illnesses kill people all the time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Daily podcast from New York Times, of all places, is preparing America for a future where herd immunity is out of reach, where the disease ravages the country for generations, surging and ebbing repeatedly.

Don’t worry, “it doesn’t have to be a dire thing. We’re just changing what we consider to be our goal.”

He’s the transcript of a good portion of last Friday’s episode. Background is that Michael Barbaro is the host and uninformed viewer surrogate. Apoorva Mandavilli is a credible reporter who talked to a bunch of experts as well as Anthony Fauci.

Sidenote: In asking “why didn’t they have their usual plague reporter on?”, I learned that that guy, Donald G. McNeil Jr., was forced out of the paper over an N‐word incident.

quote:

Michael Barbaro

So Apoorva, what does it look like to live in a country in which there is not herd immunity, and especially a country like the United States that has started to reopen, and yet is not really on its way to herd immunity?

Apoorva Mandavilli
What it probably means is that we are going to hear about outbreaks of the virus in different parts of the country throughout the year. We’ll hear about outbreaks in any place that doesn’t have a very high level of vaccine acceptance. Hopefully, they will not be anywhere near what we saw in the months of winter when the numbers were just really horrifically high. But we will probably still hear about lots of very sick people and some people dying for many years to come.

Michael Barbaro
Many years to come.

Apoorva Mandavilli
That’s right. The best estimate so far seems to be that we might sort of bumble along this path for the next generation or two.

Michael Barbaro
Wow.

Apoorva Mandavilli
But at some point, all the adults will have either been vaccinated, or they will have had the virus once. But that might take 20 to 40 years.

Michael Barbaro
Mm-hmm. So during the intervening 20 to 40 years, when we wait for that point, I wonder if you can describe the kinds of outbreaks that we’re going to be experiencing, what that’s going to feel like. Is there an analogy that comes to mind?

Apoorva Mandavilli
Well, think about the Orthodox Jewish population in New York and just north of the city. They’ve had some really bad measles outbreaks because they’re not vaccinated for measles. Same with Los Angeles, where, for many reasons, the vaccine acceptance symptoms is very low. And those places have seen measles outbreaks that really have flared very quickly out of control because there’s very little herd immunity in those particular pockets. But those do spill out into the broader community sometimes and infect, say, babies that haven’t yet been vaccinated, or some older adults who’ve lost immunity over time to the measles virus. That does happen sometimes. So we’re talking about seeing these pockets of virus popping up all through the country and sometimes spilling over even into the neighboring communities where people did get vaccinated for the most part.

Michael Barbaro
And how risky will those outbreaks be for the average person who is vaccinated?

Apoorva Mandavilli
Well, for the vast majority of people who are vaccinated, it probably won’t be. And even if they do get infected, they may not get very sick. But there are cases that we’ve seen already where even people who’ve been vaccinated can get infected. There was just a case in Kentucky at a nursing home, where there was an unvaccinated staff member who infected 26 residents of the nursing home. And 18 of them, of that 26, had been vaccinated with both doses of the vaccine two weeks past the second dose, which is what we’re supposed to have. And still, they were infected. Some of them had symptoms, and two of them died.

Michael Barbaro
Wow.

Apoorva Mandavilli
So there’s a likelihood that you will not get as sick if you’ve been vaccinated before, but it’s not a full guarantee.

Michael Barbaro
So in a world where we have not achieved herd immunity, the world we’re living in now — and it looks like we will be living in for, as you say, up to a generation — things like this will happen, where an unvaccinated person, the kind of person who’s keeping us from achieving herd immunity, will infect vaccinated people. And some small percentage of them will get really sick. And an even smaller percentage of them will die.

Apoorva Mandavilli
That’s right, and I think this is very important to emphasize also because I’ve seen a lot of this sentiment of, if people don’t want to get vaccinated, that’s on them. Why should I care? But there are a lot of people, like the elderly, for example, who may not put up a very strong response, even when they get vaccinated. There are so many immunocompromised people, either because they had cancer or who take some kind of medication that don’t really produce antibodies when they get the vaccine. And so, we do have to think about all of those people as being susceptible when there’s an outbreak. And there’s something else we need to think about, which is that every person that the virus infects is another opportunity for it to mutate. So when you have the virus circulating in big numbers of people again, we are giving the virus so many chances to mutate into something that is more contagious or that our vaccines are not quite as effective against. So we have to be very careful to also contain the virus and its ability to mutate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/podcasts/the-daily/coronavirus-herd-immunity-vaccine.html?showTranscript=1

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I assume that Learnincurve didn’t read that in the two minutes between when I posted and she did, and her post is a response to yours.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Galewolf posted:

Correct me if I'm getting wrong but do Murica actually paywall the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines? Like, please tell me that's not the case.

No.

The pharmacist was just saying that they happen to have Johnson & Johnson’s.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 10, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Can any fellow Britischer swine tell me why I got offered a vaccine appointment this week in London? I am not 40+, and I have no risk factors I am aware of... got me worried my GP knows something I don't

Maybe the records have you as under two centimetres tall and several thousand BMI.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

freebooter posted:

I want this to be the case going forward as well. No docudramas, no period pieces, no thank you - let's just all memory hole this loving year forever.

We’re memoryholing it, but only in the history books.

No lessons will be learned, but you will have to suffer terrible pop culture depictions of it forever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lolie posted:

Australia seems to have settled on Moderna as the booster if choice for next year.

I think it’s a good decision.

I like Moderna’s mRNA-1273.351 booster and general strategy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bape Culture posted:

Why does it have some sort of resistance if it still has the spikes which we can gently caress up with the vaccine?? I don’t get how it works. Like how can it be more resistant if your white blood cells are still walking up to it like connor mcgregor and pulling its skin off?

It has modified spikes. They still bind to the same parts of our cells, but they’re different enough that some of the antibodies you make may not bind to them well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Woof Blitzer posted:

I’m still wearing my mask. gently caress em. Thug life

A licensed therapist is inbound to treat your cave syndrome. Please do not resist, citizen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The government will pay them for vaccinating you, but at least some insurance companies pay better, so it behooves them to ask.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Capped for future archæologists.

Some activities are more safest than others.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But we’re still pretending the J&J is GTG at two weeks because we hate science.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm not overly concerned about the 'Indian' variant

This, but the entire Wuhan coronavirus.

poo poo’s going to fizzle out like SARS, ebola, swine flu, zika.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is the two‐week interval between doses just for Pfizer’s vaccine or Oxford’s as well?

e: This is the only place I find a reference to two weeks:

quote:

Prof Hunter said there was "possibly" a case for targeting vaccines in certain areas - but jabs took two to three weeks to work. This would mean diverting doses from other areas, where the Indian variant could also soon be spreading.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57109660

Great timing.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 14, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sjs00 posted:

I am going to make a special offer for the thread. I will personally, on a busy night like tonight, go to the bar scene at 11pm or so and conduct as many short in person interviews as I can on why they aren't getting vaxed (audio only)
My question is do we really want to know the answers why? its just going to be stupid inane poo poo

Please don’t threaten self‐harm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sjs00 posted:

You would know all bout antagonizing people

:drat:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This seems like the kinda guy who would hate “bra burning” feminists.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Meanwhile, in professional sports (one of the last places where everyone is still being regularly tested)
https://twitter.com/DukeStJournal/status/1392951287847792644

Were they fully vaccinated [Lionel Hutz shaking head] or fully vaccinated [Lionel Hutz nodding]?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Charliegrs posted:

God help us if there starts to be an uptick in cases after the CDCs idiotic decision today because there's no way they are going to reverse the decision and even if they did the cats out of the bag people won't be putting their masks back on.

CDC read some literature from nuclear hawks and this is their plan to “escalate to deescalate”.

Make conditions worse than ever by lifting all public health measures, and use those bad conditions to scare America straight.

I don’t seriously believe in the narrative I just laid out, but it makes more sense than all the water-carrying I hear about “CDC is doing this as a carrot for the unvaccinated! They must have had secret focus groups! Trust the science!”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saros posted:

The advice was specifically for NSAID's, Ibuprofen and Aspirin being the ones people are likely have on hand. It's theoretically possible that suppressing inflammation will reduce the effectiveness of the immune response to the vaccine. Paracetamol or whatever is gonna be fine

Yeah it’s totally plausible that it’s harmful and they kept track of it in the studies in case it was a dealbreaker.

It wasn’t a dealbreaker—about half of Pfizer’s vaccine arm took NSAIDs after their second dose—but it’s not something that “makes absolutely no sense”.

Take pain medication if you need it, don’t take it if you don’t. Don’t pregame because you definitely don’t have need of it before the injection.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 15, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WombatCyborg posted:

I know here in NY at least they give vaccination certification cards out when the give it. Could be faked I guess but that's always possible.

They have already been sold on eBay, both “replicas” and the pilfered real deal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rescue Toaster posted:

But if work starts calling people back in I'm not sure what I'll do.

Ask for accommodation of your disability.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Green Nail Polish posted:

This isn't true at all. The vaccines greatly reduce the chance that you will contract Covid-19, and if you do get it, they even more greatly reduce the chance that you will get sick, and they even more MORE greatly reduce the chance you will be hospitalized.

Please don't spread misinformation.

The odds don’t stack like that. Given the symptom reduction ratio, the reduction in deaths is only about half.

This is good. There could have been no additional reduction in deaths, or the vaccine could even have reduced deaths at a lower proportion than it reduced symptoms, but let’s not overstate things. If you are vaccinated, symptomatic, and test positive for COVID-19, you are in a substantially worse position than you would be with the flu.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Castaign posted:

It's kind of weird. If I read "this confers immunity" I automatically parse it as "this confers some level of immunity." But if I read someone stating "I am immune to X" I would parse that as "I am 100% immune to X."

It’s a case of science borrowing normal words and using them in ways that is vaguely suggestive of but not at all the same as their general meaning.

It’s the “tomato is a fruit” problem.

If I say “Superman is immune to bullets”, no one expects that if the bad guys shoot him a dozen times, one bullet will go right through and mortally wound him.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mikemil828 posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/past-breakthrough-data.html

I suppose 9,245 breakthrough cases total could be considered 'thousands upon thousands', but if we are going to be honest, expecting fully vaccinated folks to curtail their normal lives when only .0001% of them get detectably infected is a really hard ask.

Donald Trump used statistics more accurately and more honestly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Grilledmelt/status/1394027762961235971

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lolie posted:

Is this just a matter of people not understanding how vaccines and immunity in general work, because we seem to accept that other vaccines aren't 100% effective and we should be celebrating that vaccines as effective as these have been developed in such a short period of time.

We did at one point accept that vaccines are not one hundred percent effective and that they were merely a powerful tool in the struggle against pestilence.

Then they suddenly became an end into themselves and if you have a problem with that, you’re an antivaxxer or a nonperson like a kid or a cancer patient.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Every loving time they make some dumbshit rec, people come out of the woodwork to defend it as “they’ve got to sweeten the pot for compliance!” and then whoopsie-doodle, the CDC has to walk it back a week later and they look like fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’ve walked this back in the same way they’ve walked everything else back: by making excuses, by blaming others, by playing games with definitions.

They never say “we erred”.

In her interview with Raddatz, Walensky:

Has a moment of celebration for a job well done.

Excuses CDC’s failure to give warning to Congress, state and local health authorities, and institutions as “I told the American people we would deliver the science as soon as we had it”. This is a defense for a rogue information broker like Julian Assange, not a trusted public health authority.

Responds to Raddatz’ prompt of “this is all on the honor system, and there are people who refuse to get vaccinate, about a quarter of the country, and who oppose mask‐wearing, and who could see this as a green light to go wherever they want, putting others at risk, especially in those indoor settings, including children and the immunocompromised” with

quote:

So, umm, this is a really important point, and that is, the guidance that we released on Thursday is about individuals and what individuals are at risk of doing if they are not vaccinated. If they are vaccinated they are safe. If they are not vaccinated they are not safe; they should still be wearing a mask or, better yet, get vaccinated.

We also need to say that this is not permission for widespread removal of masks, for those who are vaccinated. It may take some time for them to feel comfortable removing their masks.

But also that these decisions need to be made at the jurisdictional level, at the community level. Some communities have been hit harder than others, have lower vaccination rates than others. We wanted to deliver the science at the individual level, but we also understand that these decisions have to be made at the community level.

If these decisions have to be made on a community level, shouldn’t you have given community leaders advance guidance on how to handle this new information? It demonstrably did not go well. We could blame scores of local leaders around the country for fumbling, or we could look at the one thing they all have in common: CDC gave them a bad throw.