Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

9/11 also did a lot of expensive property damage, which is very traumatic for Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

There is so. Much. Weird Trump stuff. Nothing ever seemed to stick because we were careening from one weird Trump thing to another like an ADHD addled nerd playing a pinball machine.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I’ve used something called an envomask a bunch, it has a nice gel cushion around the edges. It’s also small and discrete compared to more serious respirators but not as easy to breathe in because the surface area of the filtration medium is smaller. Only N95 rated though. I like the shield in my rainy climate too

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Envomask website has a decent number of pics! https://envomask.com/

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I’ve got an envomask that’s my go to and it’s definitely overprice compared to reusable respirators. It’s also not as easy to breathe in. Also gets condensation up the wazoo.

The discrete size is great though—most people don’t look at me twice—and I absolutely adore the gel cushion seal. The shield is also very useful in my rainy climate, and there’s no out vent to worry about for others if you get the ventless type or the blocker.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I was just in a Japanese garden absolutely covered in tree bukakke so I think pollen is still happening in places.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

It definitely was noted at the start—remember hearing a lot about ground glass opacity for lung scans.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

A lot of pandemic caution can also still be found at Metafilter.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I know that Fred Hutch was doing an observational COVID study…which was abruptly shut down in January when funding was cut off.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

A doctor put me on Zyrtec in high school and next thing you know I was sleeping twenty hours a day, just conked out sleeping on desks and tables in my classes and at meals, for two weeks until we put two and two together.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Oh yeah, we ended up putting me on Claritin and I guess that worked okay but now I’m wondering if it was just a placebo effect!

Luckily my allergies seemed to more or less disappear once I went to college in a different state.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

Phenylephrine is the placebo, the substitute for almost-speed pseudoephedrine as a decongestant. Antihistamines and expectorants are proven medications that work to do what they say they do, as is pseudoephedrine. Phenylephrine is the placebo drug, OTC decongestant is fake.

Oh I’m referring to what Bored and CaptainSarcastic are saying about Claritin’s normal dose being so low that it’s not super efficacious.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Paxlovid and vaccination are about the only tools we have that have been shown to cut your odds of developing long COVID.

Recently there have been studies suggesting metformin, a drug usually used for diabetes, also cuts Long Covid risk:

https://covid19.nih.gov/news-and-stories/can-diabetes-treatment-reduce-risk-long-covid

But I don’t know how easy it would be to convince a doctor to give it to you

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I’ve been reading various accountings of other diseases over the past few years, how they’re handled historically, and if you think any X consequence that COVID could cause would make society in general take it more seriously I am pretty sure no, such a deterrent does not exist.

Hookworm in the US South: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/how-a-worm-gave-the-south-a-bad-name/

The struggle for hand washing to prevent purpereal fever: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/handwashing-once-controversial-medical-advice

The way traditional funeral practices in Africa spread Ebola

Antivax sentiment started with the smallpox vaccine: https://www.history.ox.ac.uk/article/covid-19-anti-vaxxers-use-the-same-arguments-from-135-years-ago

We’re a species that until fairly recently in historical terms (a couple hundred years) had a quarter of infants die before the age of one and half of kids die before age 15, COVID’s consequences are nothing in comparison

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Fun vocabulary time: the word for your sense of smell getting distorted is parosmia. Anosmia is when it goes missing or gets reduced.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Close, but reduced sense of smell is hyposmia.

Thank you, adding that one to my stable!

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

chainchompz posted:

Purely anecdotal but I've heard from multiple folks in my circle that the latest strain doesn't show up in tests until well after you've already got symptoms. Edit: like a few days after symptoms show up.

Goon hivemind: Total BS or is there a nugget of truth to it?

I did see a study recently that suggests rapids are a coin flip until the third and fourth day of symptoms:

CIDRAP: Evolving peak SARS-CoV-2 loads relative to symptom onset may influence home-test timing

The New Normal: Delayed Peak SARS-CoV-2 Viral Loads Relative to Symptom Onset and Implications for COVID-19 Testing Programs

“Median SARS-CoV-2 viral loads, as measured by polymerase chain reaction cycle threshold (Ct) and antigen concentrations, rose from symptom onset, peaking on the fourth or fifth day of symptoms. Estimated rapid antigen test sensitivity was 30.0% to 60.0% on the first day, 59.2% to 74.8% on the third, and 80.0% to 93.3% on the fourth.”

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Good point. The first is indeed what I meant, because I had seen that reported at some point long ago.

As for the non-hospitalized, we know that portion is growing, relatively speaking, with the Omicron variant and successors, but what’s unclear to me is:
- The approximate proportion of infected who get “long” symptoms
- How that proportion is affected by vaccination

But I think it’s almost a given that it improves, of course…

There's a preprint I know about that gives you the best chance of knowing Long COVID rates for vaccinated Omicron infections, I think: Long COVID in a highly vaccinated population infected during a SARS-CoV-2 Omicron wave – Australia, 2022

94% of the population in the study had >=3 vaccine doses when they got COVID, and they excluded people with a previous infection, and since Australia more or less kept COVID at bay until Omicron that's likely the strain they had. It's a pretty large survey -- 11,697 out of all 70,876 people reported to the DOH with COVID during that period. 18.2% of the survey respondents could be classified as having Long COVID 3 months from their infection; the vast majority were not hospitalized. Among people without previous chronic health issues Long COVID incidence was 16.2%.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Apparently a new antiviral is coming that won’t do that

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1717547079168647317?s=20

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Any word on what the window is for this? Something more generous than Paxlovid's "by the time you test positive, it's too late" would be great.

Alas

https://biopharma.media/xocova-powerful-new-japanese-drug-for-coronavirus-treatment-3494/#google_vignette posted:

Xocova, which is suitable for the treatment of adults and children (12 years and older), should be prescribed if no more than 72 hours have elapsed since the onset of symptoms. Otherwise, the effectiveness of this antiviral drug will not be as high.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Tagra posted:

"not as high" but is there any effectiveness at all? How much "not as high"?

My guess is they don’t know because the study was set up for within three days of symptom onset:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT05305547

https://www.shionogi.com/global/en/news/2022/09/20220928.html

The source saying not as high may have just been assuming.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

When I have to unmask at the TSA, I take in a big breath, hold it while unmasked, then exhale vigorously when I put my mask back on, thereby hopefully ensuring my next breath won’t contain any unfiltered air. This is probably as efficacious as avoiding stepping on cracks so you won’t break your mother’s back but I figure it can’t hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

For a stretch in 20/21’s respiratory season a lot of people masking were in cloth and surgicals and flu cases absolutely cratered. I wouldn’t trust them for personal protection but on a population level it feels like it makes a difference.