Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Oracle posted:

Yup (they're all behind the counter and require two forms of ID and a signature in blood to get).

OG Sudafed ftmfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

*taps the thread title even harder*

pseudo is the only way because it's drat near speed and speed and its cousins provably work

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They fooled 45.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

Pharmaceutical companies shouldn't be allowed to sell literal snake oil, leave that to the homeopaths.

The original literal snake oil actually did treat arthritis and other conditions! The reason the name became synonymous with useless overhyped products was because of salesmen in the days before ingredient testing and false advertising regulations who sold products as "snake oil" that didn't contain any (or even that were derived from nonbeneficial snakes, like rattlesnakes).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can get Flonase off the shelf and it is like dropping a nuclear congestion-eliminating bomb in your sinuses but then you have to keep using it forever or else you can't breathe through your nose.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Platystemon posted:

They fooled 45.

2 of those ingredients work for their intended uses, just not the phenylphedrine, which is the one that is sold for nasal congestion.

Claritin also has a very low likelihood of being effective as an antihistamine, but people buy the hell out of it because of their marketing campaigns.

I’m all fexofenadine, all pseudoephedrine, all the time. I would suggest ordering fexofenadine from Amazon, since it’s under 20 bucks for 100 pills as opposed to otc pharmacies in the US. Since it is actually effective, every time I see it in the store, it’s like 2 bucks per pill.

Also, dextromethorphan works, but turns me into a raving, weeping lunatic. Seriously.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bored posted:

2 of those ingredients work for their intended uses, just not the phenylphedrine, which is the one that is sold for nasal congestion.

Claritin also has a very low likelihood of being effective as an antihistamine, but people buy the hell out of it because of their marketing campaigns.

I’m all fexofenadine, all pseudoephedrine, all the time. I would suggest ordering fexofenadine from Amazon, since it’s under 20 bucks for 100 pills as opposed to otc pharmacies in the US. Since it is actually effective, every time I see it in the store, it’s like 2 bucks per pill.

Also, dextromethorphan works, but turns me into a raving, weeping lunatic. Seriously.

I hate dextromethorphan and avoid it almost entirely.

A pharmacist friend told me that Claritin does work, it's just that they were so hellbent on being able to call it "non-drowsy" that the formulation is the lowest possible dose to show some efficacy so that it limits any sedating effects. The actual effective dose should be higher, but it might have a bit of sedation that comes along with it, which they desperately want to avoid.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I like cetirizine, it works pretty well for me along with pseudo and without.
Getting a cat when you're allergic to cats is awesome lol

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can get Flonase off the shelf and it is like dropping a nuclear congestion-eliminating bomb in your sinuses but then you have to keep using it forever or else you can't breathe through your nose.

I think you're thinking of Afrin, which is magic but if you use it like 3 days in a row you then have Very Big Problems. Flonase is just regular allergy stuff

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

MrQwerty posted:

I like cetirizine, it works pretty well for me along with pseudo and without.

I used to, but it eventually almost completely stopped working. Turns out you need to rotate if you're taking things daily. I switched to fexofenidine and have been back to not hating my sinus cavities (as much).

A different thing happened with Flonase. It was still effective in clearing things up, but it got to where it caused me to have splitting headaches. Switched to Nasacort and have been great since.

In short, zirtec and Flonase are great, but if they start causing problems or stop working as well, rotate meds.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Claritin has worked great for me.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Mucinex generic absolutely works to clear out the lungs what are they talking about?

Flonase is also the only thing that keeps my nose unclogged for like 6 months a year.

This isn't phenylephrine or whatever that actually sucks...

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Wendigee posted:

Mucinex generic absolutely works to clear out the lungs what are they talking about?

*taps the thread title*

guaifenesin works, don't pay extra for placebo

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I took Claritin as a child because it was what my doctor recommended but it never helped much. The new Gen antihistamines seem to work way better for me

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 9, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

guaifenesin works, don't pay extra for placebo

guaifenesin absolutely works in can't imagine why it's on their list. I didn't read the article yet though

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Wendigee posted:

guaifenesin absolutely works in can't imagine why it's on their list. I didn't read the article yet though

because Mucinex and generics make pills that are more expensive with phenylephrine in them, and are effectively lying about the pill containing a decongestant analogue like pseudo

naem
May 29, 2011

generic zyrtec is pretty good

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My dad always went on and on about how no allergy meds ever worked for him except cromolyn sodium, which never did anything for me. Claritin took me from almost nonfunctional during allergy season to not experiencing symptoms. I assume there's some weird idiosyncrasies.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

naem posted:

generic zyrtec is pretty good

that's cetirizine

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

because Mucinex and generics make pills that are more expensive with phenylephrine in them

Ohh... if I need a decongestant I buy the pseudofed from behind the counter. If they are putting phen in there "cold" medicine Mucinex version then yeah they should stop

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 9, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Ice swapped between Allegra and cetirizene.

Citirezene seems to work just as well for my skin allergies and rashes as Allegra. And the pill is way smaller lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wendigee posted:

They are talking about nasal decongestants in the article. Lungs are an entirely different part of the body.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I didn't even know Mucinex sold anything but different versions of the lung pill

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

A doctor put me on Zyrtec in high school and next thing you know I was sleeping twenty hours a day, just conked out sleeping on desks and tables in my classes and at meals, for two weeks until we put two and two together.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Sleepiness from new Gen antihistamines is a pretty rare side effect. It's one reason they are so much more popular than earlier types. Sorry it doesn't work for you

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Oh yeah, we ended up putting me on Claritin and I guess that worked okay but now I’m wondering if it was just a placebo effect!

Luckily my allergies seemed to more or less disappear once I went to college in a different state.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DominoKitten posted:

Oh yeah, we ended up putting me on Claritin and I guess that worked okay but now I’m wondering if it was just a placebo effect!

Luckily my allergies seemed to more or less disappear once I went to college in a different state.

Phenylephrine is the placebo, the substitute for almost-speed pseudoephedrine as a decongestant. Antihistamines and expectorants are proven medications that work to do what they say they do, as is pseudoephedrine. Phenylephrine is the placebo drug, OTC decongestant is fake.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

Phenylephrine is the placebo, the substitute for almost-speed pseudoephedrine as a decongestant. Antihistamines and expectorants are proven medications that work to do what they say they do, as is pseudoephedrine. Phenylephrine is the placebo drug, OTC decongestant is fake.

Oh I’m referring to what Bored and CaptainSarcastic are saying about Claritin’s normal dose being so low that it’s not super efficacious.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Phenylephrine is in DayQuil. That's gotta be one of the most popular cold meds.

It's gonna be pretty expensive if these pharma companies all have to reformulate their decongestant-related crap!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

DominoKitten posted:

Oh I’m referring to what Bored and CaptainSarcastic are saying about Claritin’s normal dose being so low that it’s not super efficacious.

That’s what the research said. Although I could have sworn the original studies had it pegged at effective for only 20% of patients. This article from 2001 has it listed at 30-40%.

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/11/magazine/the-claritin-effect-prescription-for-profit.html

Allegra was suggested by a doctor when I told her that Sudafed seemed to be the only thing that works and doesn’t knock me out cold. When I told her Claritin does nothing, she said,”Oh yeah. That’s trash.” She was a pretty awesome doctor.

Also, Claritin D has pseudoephedrine in it, which means a lot of people rate Claritin as effective without realizing that the pseudoephedrine is what is actually making a difference. Most people are really bad at actually noticing what the active ingredient is in whatever medicine they are buying. Like how otc sleeping medicines are all actually Benadryl (generic diphenhydramine HCL).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bored posted:

Like how otc sleeping medicines are all actually Benadryl (generic diphenhydramine HCL).

Unless it's doxylamine (as in Unisom brand), which I find works pretty well.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I like benadryl because delirium owns

Everyone should try datura once

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Zugzwang posted:

It's gonna be pretty expensive if these pharma companies all have to reformulate their decongestant-related crap!

especially because you can't sell it OTC anymore

Private Cumshoe posted:

I like benadryl because delirium owns

Everyone should try datura once

in the spring with the 50mph albuquerque winds, sometimes being able to deliriously knock yourself out and breathe on your day off is very nice

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Unless it's doxylamine (as in Unisom brand), which I find works pretty well.

My bad. I didn’t know about that one.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
could the manufacturers potentially face enormous class action if it can be shown they knew it was placebo-at-best and still sold it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have no idea, but I do remember that the studies used to justify approving systemic phenylephrine were garbage that had to bend over backwards to even suggest it had an effect greater than placebo. I recall it being something like, in a certain percentage of the population systemic phenylephrine performs slightly better than placebo, with a big question mark where any details on that percentage of the population actually resides. It shouldn't have been approved in the first place, and I think it was only because phenylpropanolamine had been banned and pseudoephedrine made harder to obtain that big pharma was desperate to have something to sell to the uninformed as an OTC cold remedy.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have no idea, but I do remember that the studies used to justify approving systemic phenylephrine were garbage that had to bend over backwards to even suggest it had an effect greater than placebo. I recall it being something like, in a certain percentage of the population systemic phenylephrine performs slightly better than placebo, with a big question mark where any details on that percentage of the population actually resides. It shouldn't have been approved in the first place, and I think it was only because phenylpropanolamine had been banned and pseudoephedrine made harder to obtain that big pharma was desperate to have something to sell to the uninformed as an OTC cold remedy.

God bless the FDA.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Don't even get me started on "supplements."

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
my antipsychotic is an antihistamine maybe that's why I don't really get allergies any more lol

And I break out in hives a little bit if I skip a dose :mildpanic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I've found that the concentration of the Afrin-like nose sprays are pretty hardcore, for me at least, so I dilute them down to like 25% Afrin and 75% saline and that works pretty well without the intense rebound. If congestion is particularly terrible I'll use a higher concentration (like 50%) and then a lower concentration when the rebound happens to taper it off.