Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I don't think we have ever tracked variants like this before, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I am glad the numbers are great. I even said that. I'm so happy about that. But I hate the hosed up entitlement of "I'm vaccinated so gently caress everyone around me" that seems to be suddenly so prevalent.
This attitude is really not a problem in comparison to the actual issue of "I'm unvaccinated and gently caress everyone around me."

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Picnic Princess posted:

Looks like we're opening up indoor dining with some limitations this week, so let's see how well 67% with one shot works. Last time we did that was before vaccinations for the general public, and numbers skyrocketed, it was a vertical line on the graph lol
Indoor dining has been running in my state for ages now, and all remaining restrictions were dropped recently, all with like 44% of the population having at least one dose. All the bad numbers are still going down, for now anyway. I doubt it's just the vaccinations but they do seem to do an awful lot even with such lovely uptake.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

How could lakeview be a shitshow? Aren't there like 20 people and one surprisingly good mexican restaurant there?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just got scheduled for my pfizer booster as part of the trial (or technically transferring to a new trial). Trip report to follow in a few weeks.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Except people aren't taking them. When you have far fewer tests, of course you'll see a lower positive percentile. Because fewer people are taking them. Like, we talked about this this time last year and everyone agreed. I don't know why y'all have decided because it's not trump that things have changed.
This is a pretty dire misunderstanding of what the positivity rate means and what was being discussed last year.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:ssh: it isn't a mix up
You seem to be consistently confused about how to interpret test positivity or even what it means, and are refusing to engage when people try to explain it to you. This is a pretty basic and important concept, and you are not in a position to make informed comments about covid testing without an understanding of it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

of course you are going to see a lower positive result when you have fewer participants.
You do not understand positivity if you think this is the case.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thr last number I saw for pfizer/moderna was 88%, though I suppose we don't have it nailed down yet.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Wait Canada is mixing and matching vaccinations? I'd wait too just so I could get the same thing as my first shot
If I had a first dose of AZ I'd want an mrna boost. It seems to give better results that way.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I don't want to sound incautious, but we knew we wouldn't get a good sense of how well the vaccines prevent asymptomatic spread until we'd actually rolled it out into the population since it's a lot harder to test that than the incidence of symptomatic cases.

Here in NC we have a pretty pitiful uptake rate, around 44% of the total population with at least one dose, and yet our numbers are all trending down. In the last month our seven day average of cases has dropped by two thirds and hospitalizations are down by a third, all while test positivity has gone from 4% to 2% (as low as it's ever been outside of one day in March 2020). Last year we didn't see any meaningful decrease in anything during the summer, so I have trouble believing that things are suddenly improving due to weather when people are also packing back into restaurants and businesses. I don't think people here in general have ever been sufficiently careful, but they were definitely being more careful last year than this year--almost all of our restrictions were lifted back in the middle of may. I don't see what could be pushing this kind of decrease aside from the vaccines, and to me that feels like the best evidence that they have are extremely good at stopping real world spread in addition to symptoms.

We'll see how things go this fall with Delta and whatnot I guess. But for now, take a look at your local numbers and see how things are trending--even if things aren't at a comfortable point yet they may be moving in that direction. My county is just about back down to the new case rate it was when I locked down in march of 2020. It's hard not to brace myself for the other shoe to drop but things are looking up for now.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Pfizer trial keeps delaying my third dose for one reason or another. Still hoping for next week or the week after.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Philthy posted:

So have they said that we will likely want boosters after x amount of time, and are they prepping for that right now so it wont be a hassle? We can just go in anytime and be "yo, i want my booster" and they jab ya again and yer done?
So far it looks like immunity is long lasting so straight up waning probably isn't a yearly issue. Past that variants may be a concern but so far protection of pfizer/moderna/jnj at least seems to hold up. I'm jumping on getting the trial one amyway though, because why be immune when you can be invincible?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

learnincurve posted:

You can remind people not to sit next to each other, people are not that stupid, there does not need to be a law.
How could ypu possible believe this having lived through 2020?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

But they are not eligible.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

sharknado slashfic posted:

I wonder when we'll hear about boosters in the US
I am due to get the pfizer trial one soon. It was supposed to be last week, then today, but apparently pfizer first didn't have the doses sent, and then didn't have the paperwork to their liking. Hopefully they'll call to schedule it this week. This isn't a full phase 2/3 trial like last time so it should be quicker anyway.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Blitter posted:

Yeah, it's incredible that with the rest of the world literally begging and dying for vaccines that people are so mindlessly stupid about it.
Donated doses of AZ are going to expire in Papua New Guinea because people are unwilling to take them. It's bad all over.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Lolie posted:

Guardian is reporting that Pfizer is asking the FDA to approve a third shot due to evidence of an increased risk of reinfection after 6 months from vaccination.
Wonder if this is why I haven't heard back from the trial yet. Maybe they're just going to go for it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I don't think the reasons for seasonality are as clear cut as just being behavioral. With rhinovirus at least your nasal passages being chilled reduces the immune response there and makes infection easier.
This paper looked at a bunch of samples across time in Scotland--for some viruses temperature was most important, for others it was humidity.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 11, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I. M. Gei posted:

HI GBS

GUESS WHERE I’M POSTIN FROM

IT'S THE DOCTOR AND RIGHT THERE AND THEN I START HAVING COVID-LIKE SYMPTOMS. I HAVE EVERY SYMPTOM AND I HAVE THEM HARD. MAKING GROANING NOISES WHEN I MOVE OR EVEN WHEN I BREATHE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY HAVE A TEMPERATURE OF 103. I CAN. I DO AND I POST IT IN ALLCAPS IN GBS WHICH JUST PROVES THAT MY VERBAL FILTER AINT WORKIN FOR poo poo.

I HAVE BEEN FULLY VAXXED SINCE MARCH

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That's weird. Maybe the weird doctor is also a symptom.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Finally scheduled for my third dose on Monday, fingers crossed.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

learnincurve posted:

We now know a lot of the early AstraZeneca information on the Internet is messed up for a crazy reason - the head of MI5 said yesterday there had been a deliberate Russian disinformation campaign targeting it. (He didn’t say why AZ in particular)
They've gone after mrna vaccines too. If you were reading In The Pipeline this past year there were a weird number of commenters eager to talk poo poo about vaccines and defend the honor of the russian government. Except, suddenly, in the comments on thr article about the humiliating refusal of approval for sputnik in Brazil due to their qc issues, where there were suddenly a totally new batch of commenters taking a different tack, lamenting how 'political' everything had gotten and how good the Russian vaccine really was. For some reason on that one in particular the other new commenters who normally have a lot to say about Russia didn't comment at all.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Monkeypox doesn't spread well between people, not one I'd worry about.
But in some reading they said a) the smallpox vaccine apparently prevents infection a d b) there is an approved monkeypox vaccine. So maybe if I get that vaccine I can be immune to smallpox??
Edit: turns out the monkeypox vaccine is the smallpox vaccine.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 16, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just got my third injection for the trial. It'll be a bit before I havw a better idea but my arm feels fucky like it did after 1 and 2 so here's hoping I got the real deal.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

OkI think I got the real deal for dose 3 yesterday. Today my arm is still pretty sore, I had very minor muscle aches last night and I feel pretty tired. Symptoms seem significantly weaker than dose 2 so far.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

brugroffil posted:

If you have kids under 12 and can't completely isolate, probably need to come to terms with them getting COVID by the end of the year. Looking at that timeline, my kids won't be eligible until February or March, probably.
I'll be honest, at this point I'd probably consider trying to bribe someone or whatever to get my kids vaccinated if I had any.
After the obviously fraudulent aducanumab approval their failure to properly accelerate granting full approval for the vaccines in adults and euas for kids is really grating.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think we know enough, given the circumstances, to allow their use at least a few years younger. Taking so long on the original EUAs didn't cost us that much because prpduction hadn't ramped up, but now that we have so much supply waiting longer will cost us a ton of lives.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The dosing is very different for 5-11s and 6 months to 5 years compared to adults so yeah this is a terrible idea.
A wide range of doses (10, 30 and 100 mg) was tested in adults in phase 1 without any serious issues--side effects were worse at 100 and there wasn't a big benefit to antibody levels, hence sticking to 30. While targeting it exactly is best I am not sure that the risks will outweigh the benefits in this case. For many vaccines the dose for babies is the same as the dose for adults (and in some cases the dosage is actually lower in adults because of side effects), so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Maybe it's a bridge too far but waiting is going to be expensive as well.
We'll see what they settle on in a couple months but in the mean time we're in for a world of hurt.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 28, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Once again, children are not tiny adults. especially when it comes to medicine.
This is how it feels intuitively, but usually the doses for vaccines are the same for kids and adults. They don't act the same as drugs that way. A few do have kid/adult variations (kids get less HepA/B, adults get less D and P in their TDP) to optimize side effects vs efficacy but it's not universal and also unlikely to be a matter of critical safety.
Will that be very different for mrna vaccines? Maybe, it's a real risk. Easy for me to dismiss since I don't have kids or make policy. The current plan to just pizza blast unprotected schoolkids with adult-sized doses of delta particles is awfully frustrating.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Platystemon posted:

???

Pfizer and Moderna are both trying lower doses.
Absolutely, it's just going to come after they go back to school, as we go into fall while the delta wave is really ramping up. It'll be too late for a lot of kids and a lot of people they spread it to.
But it's dumb anyway, if I'm going to be hypothetical, to worry about this thing that won't happen vs other more achievable things like proper mask usage which there could still be a slim chance at.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

SamBishop posted:

Why would you boost now? poo poo's gonna get worse, that's when you want the good good kick.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The guy who wrote this book participated in an experiment doing that for a month, it wrecked his health (breathing only through mouth)
https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/breath-james-nestor/1134986035

Basically mouth breathers are dumber, weaker, and get more sick because your lungs are not meant to receive air like that, there’s all sorts of filters in the nasal airways

It’s an interesting book, it also possibly links poor breathing technique to anxiety attacks/Oxygen-CO2 balance (which is why slow breathing seems to help anxiety attacks, too much oxygen can be bad)
This book has some serious bs vibes to me. Guy is a journalist, not qualified to assess health research and has an interest in selling books.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Kids divided into cliques pods and eating in classrooms together. My highschool didn't have a cafeteria and that's how we did it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Remdesivir, famously inexpensive and abundantly available drug not made by big pharma.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My idiot (former nurse) cousin didn't get it yet but apparently told my dad she might because it would probably be required to fly. She has young kids but the potential inconvenience is apparently the deciding factor for her.
I had obviously severely misjudged her character before all this--it sucks but I guess it's better to know.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

(The US 'beat' wildtype covid by letting alpha and then delta outcompete it)
I don't think so. It sure looked like even our mediocre level or vaccination basically got us to herd immunity for classic, as rates dropped super hard across the country in spite of limited masking and everything being open, only rebounding as delta spread.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The US is absolutely nowhere near herd immunity levels of vaccinations
Obviously not for delta, but empirically we saw a pretty insane drop in cases before delta set in. I live in NC where we've been stuck at about 50% vaccinated for a while. Cases and test positivity dropped to the lowest levels we'd seen since the first ramp up of the pandemic, at a time when there wasn't even a dip last year. That was after lifting basically all restrictions on business occupancy and with low mask usage, not a weak decline with high background levels like we saw previously. I don't think anything but vaccination explains it, and I'd put much more stock in that than the output of a model. But of course delta has a much higher R0 so it was a short window, and now we're going to watch how this plays out.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 9, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Walrus posted:

so why is everyone still acting like this will ever go away and the way forward isn't reacting to variants as soon as possible with regular booster shots tailored to new infection vectors
It's unclear if a tailored shot would even be better for delta--its big thing seems to be reproducing faster and releasing way more viral particles. I am currently in a booster trial with pfizer and my third shot was the same as the others. With the current wave we'll probably get answers from the trial fast just like when the last big wave hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

AHH F/UGH posted:

No it's the right stance that the government shouldn't be able to force you to put anything in your body that you don't want
I can't agree, I think vaccination should be completely mandatory without a legitimate medical reason. We live in a society.