Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

boar guy posted:

yeah, some things i probably won't ever do again include eating at a buffet and sitting shoulder to shoulder in a packed movie theater for a summer tentpole release. i think the only way you're ever getting me back in a movie theater is taking me to the bougie recliner-based one that only seats like 80

live theater is also pretty iffy. was really looking forward to taking my burgeoning thespian kid to a lot of shows but now have no idea when i'll feel comfortable sitting in a full house

I feel like someone upthread: when the numbers of new cases per day is finally at something lower than loving crazy number like it is now, then I'll start thinking about doing some indoor or crowded stuff. In about 6 weeks, after my second dose settles in, I'll feel a lot better about going shopping, taking the train and stuff like that. The guilty pleasure I don't know when we'll be able to do again is going to the sauna/baths. I love a day relaxing in saunas and whirlpools and chilling in the sun or shade. It'll be a while before I look at a steam bath with anything but horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Something I wonder about the British numbers is what about new infections? We all know the reason our governments prioritised old people for vaccines after telling us all year that they were just going to die anyway is just to get the death count down. Have new cases also been drastically reduced or is it like here and we're just trying to stop people dying to get rid of the bad press?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

We’ve gone from 60k at Christmas to 2k/day.

But it almost seems too good to be true compared to other countries graphs idk it’s absolutely fuxkin amazing. The scientists who developed the vaccines should be given anything they want.

Absolutely 100% agree with that last bit. The only person who will deserve a bigger reward is the one who figures out how to get more than 60%of people to take it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I felt basically nothing from my Moderna shot. My arm was a little tender on day 2.

Can someone add a poll to the thread for this stuff? Cos I think most of the people posting about side effects are the ones who have them so it could be a bad sample.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ine-2021-05-07/

Has this been here? So after all shady businesses, getting funding to upscale production and still missing shipments to EU, and dishonest tactics with the production being put to "non-accredited facilities" to avoid regulations and government oversight, AZ also faces a case of Pandemrix-style side effects.

quote:

The regulator said GBS was identified as a possible adverse event that needed to be specifically monitored during the vaccine's conditional approval process, adding it had requested more detailed data on the cases from AstraZeneca.

That explains all the new mods lately

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

^ they won’t let you on the plane if it’s not legit and doesn’t scan. It’s not hard to implement.

I’m glad of it. I’ve got my second dose today and I’ve booked a holiday for my family for next year. I’m crossing my fingers and toes and balls that everything can get fuckin good again. This is, and has been, absolute hell.

Same but August so I can actually see my family for the first time since 2019. My vaccination should be complete by mid-June. Really looking forward to some kind of safe-traveller list. Would like there to be some vax requirements here in Switzerland but lmao at that ever being a possibility here. Politically it would never happen but every single IT tool developed around this pandemic has been unmitigated loving trash here so it would never work even if they did mandate it somehow.

For example, people are scrambling to get any appointments and there's no way to really figure out when the next available ones are or where except by just refreshing 5 different websites on 5 different devices or some poo poo like that. Fortunately some redditor coded a little web app to do that automatically with all of the sites for Bern and Zurich (https://rimpfli.web.app/) but something like that is too complicated for the governments to even think of let alone get working in less than 6 months.

Helios Grime posted:

Vaccination here is finally on a good upward trend, and more Cantons are opening up the 18+ brackets for getting poked. Timeslots to get it done are going away like lovely TVs on a black Friday sale and I'm lucky to get my first one on the 20th.

Congrats on your date! How many Postis do you have to take to get to where your appointment is? Is it a place you've even been before? A lot of my friends have suddenly been asking me where Riggisberg is.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bollig posted:

One of my better friends is married to basically a turd of a human. He was boring at best before all this. I'm doomed to see him for the rest of my natural life because I'm godfather to his kid and his wife is legit one of my favorite people. He's been very vocal and skeptical about Covid and poo poo like that. Whatever. Annoying and causing me to shake my head. But whatever. But recently he's been posting pictures with "Impfung macht Frei" (Impfung=vaccine). And then today a yellow 6 sided star with "unimpfed" (unvaccinated) in like Hebrew script. I honestly am at a loss for words about it.

Lemme guess what he does for a living--does he work with computers?

I've also got a godson's-father-married-to-a-dear-friend like that (who works with computers) and in his case it's just a pathological need to always be the centre of attention and always have the last word. There is no greater suffering than whatever inconvenience he has at the moment and no conversation can take place without his input. Your guy seems like he's figured out the one weird trick to make everyone pay attention to him and when that stops working he'll just go back to whatever online crew of yes men he's found that will tell him that he is history's biggest martyr for missing the ice hockey playoffs or having to wait another 2 weeks to go to the club.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

0.03% chance: Getting coronavirus after being vaccinated incredibly rare in L.A. County

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-05-21/breakthrough-coronavirus-infections-of-vaccinated-people-exceedingly-rare-in-l-a-county

quote:

It is exceedingly rare for fully vaccinated Los Angeles County residents to still get infected by the coronavirus, according to a new analysis by the Department of Public Health.

The analysis results are just the latest evidence of the remarkable effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines, and explain why even cautious public health officials have begun to endorse a widespread reopening of the California economy next month.

“These numbers show that the vaccine is working extraordinarily well to prevent infection, illness and death in almost everyone vaccinated,” L.A. County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said.

Of the 3.3 million L.A. County residents fully vaccinated as of May 7, only 933 — or 0.03% — later tested positive for the coronavirus, including people who showed no symptoms but were tested anyway because of workplace requirements, Ferrer said.

Furthermore, only 71 fully vaccinated residents, or 0.002%, were later hospitalized with so-called breakthrough infections. Twelve residents, or 0.00036% of fully vaccinated people, died.

Of the 12 who died, four had severely weakened immune systems, according to the analysis. In such people, vaccinations may not produce the kind of immune system response needed to adequately protect against COVID-19, experts say.

“People whose immune systems are suppressed may need to continue to take additional steps to protect themselves in seasons and in situations where COVID and other respiratory viruses are spreading more easily,” Ferrer said.

More research is needed to determine which steps those people should take.

The study was completed by matching immunization records of fully vaccinated people with people who tested positive, were hospitalized and died. The county’s results are consistent with what the state has found.

Other studies have found that being fully vaccinated results in a 97% to 99% effectiveness rate in terms of staying out of the hospital, Ferrer said.

“We now have mounting proof that these vaccines really work,” Ferrer said.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

my wife just got her second shot and my second will be next week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtTEibFvlQ&t=77s

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

learnincurve posted:

You tend to find that after one measles outbreak and parents hearing the stories about how little Timmy’s best friend is now blind and in a wheelchair then childhood vaccinations catch up very very quickly.

There was an article in one of the U.K. papers today talking about how if covid had effected children and not old people then the death toll would have been a fraction of what it is, because people don’t care about old people in nursing homes anywhere as near as much.

We don't care about them at all, until it's time to start handing out the vaccines! :bahgawd:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bollig posted:

Got round 2 of Moderna on Tuesday afternoon. Was pretty tired in the evening and Wednesday basically what felt like a medium hangover and I couldn't focus on anything, really. Thursday I felt more or less fine until the evening when my lymph nodes swelled up. This is pretty common for me when I get sick, especially if I'm going to have a fever. I'm also a bit dizzy, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse. Better than Covid, that's for sure!

I got Moderna vaxxed on Tuesday too. Birthday shots wooo! Felt fine that night, woke up with a sore arm, slight body aches and kind of a dumb head, felt more and more kind of hungover as the day went on and had developed a slight fever by the end of the day. Woke up Thursday still feeling achey and dumber than usual but after lunch (so almost exactly 48 hours after the shot) I suddenly felt like everything was in focus again and was back to my normal levels of stupidity and laziness.

Best part of Thursday was going to the cantonal vaccination registration page and seeing this...

(You have been successfully vaccinated)

... along with a pdf version of the confirmation letter I got from the center. I've got friends who did it through their doctors and they're not sure if they're in the system or how to check. I feel pretty confident that once our version of the vaccine passport comes out, my data will be in it and be correct and I'll be able to do cool things like leave the loving country!!!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Also the case numbers have finally started falling to something that doesn't fill me with dread here, only 588 new cases recorded yesterday and our 14-day total is the lowest it's been since September, despite loosening restrictions about 10 days ago:

We're at about 35% of people having one dose and 20% being fully vaccinated so hopefully that keeps going up. People are pretty eager, I think, because of the planned implementation of some kind of vaccine passport by the EU that will excuse you from getting brain stabs done within 48 hours of trying to cross a border or get on a plane.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We're rolling out our COVID Certificate app now in Switzerland, it should be compatible with the European Digital COVID Certificate system that will start being used July 1st. My vaxx status is already loaded into my phone and I'm looking forward to flashing it at any events that will keep the unvaxxed out! Who am I kidding though, the Swiss are loving nuts about their freedums and I really doubt anyone wants to deal with the same people who have been protesting lockdowns on streets that are full of open shops and shoppers. There's a really unhinged segment of the population here going off about government control and freedom and the constitution and nobody wants to do anything about it at all.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Weird that they would choose to build a virus research facility in the type of region and environment where SARS-1, bird flu, swine flu, etc originated. It's also weird how so few people are 'just asking questions' about how this could have been handled better. The lack of action after the pandemic started is somehow above criticism for most of these people.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Spaghett posted:

At the end of the day, you can only do what everyone else is doing to tamp this down. It's all dictated by the lowest common denominator. If your government isn't doing squat, then nothing will change. If your government asks you to isolate/shelter, then do it. Outside of that, you're trying to take on the role of the government/society and you'll fail. You'll feel like poo poo and your mental health will drop.

1. I'm really sorry you and your family got sick, that absolutely sucks.

2. I'm on holiday in a foreign country right now, so I feel like I can say I'm getting out a bit and not living in abject fear.

However, when people say that we can only do what everyone else is doing while highlighting the lowest common denominator, it's just dragging this poo poo out more. I personally can do better than the absolute minimum. It doesn't make somebody smart to do less to protect themself and their community than the dumbest most selfish person they can imagine. People take things really personally in this thread so I'm just responding to words and not actions because I don't even know what anyone has actually done here (and I don't care either because we're just posting ok?).

I will keep wearing a mask, even though I don't have to, because I remember how long it took for my government to admit there was a problem. The government is going to protect the economy, I've got to protect myself and the people I come in contact with. They'll say whatever if there aren't enough masks or there aren't enough people getting vaccinated. I will now visit friends and take holidays (including a transatlantic flight to see my family in August) but I will still wear a mask around people I don't know and avoid crowded enclosed spaces because I'm going to try not to make things worse. There is a middle ground between the characterizations in this thread and it would be cool if more middle-ground posters could describe their new normal without getting jumped on from both sides.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are home lateral flow test kits just not a thing outside the UK then? I know they're problematic, but they've surely got to be better than maximum lockdown or just letting rip.

We get 5 free per person per month in Switzerland but I'd rather exercise caution (I'm fortunate to be able to) rather than test before I go out. My wife didn't read the advice not to check after more than 30 minutes and freaked herself out which was kind of unpleasant.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

code:
t     a     p
h     n     r
o     d     a
u           y
g           e
h           r
t           s
s

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Purgatory Glory posted:

For those in areas where hospitals are overrun, what do they deniers have to say? "Nurses are lying, there's so much capacity!"

Some of our hospitals were so full they put ICU beds in the parking lot. This made anti-vaxxers very angry because this proves the number of beds are limitless so it's just another made up stat to scare people. No they didn't hire any extra docotrs or nurses to cover the increased capacity, just beds under a tent in the parking lot.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Florida seems pretty loving doomed at this point: same with some of the other GOP states

Is there anything the federal government can do to make these lunatics comply?

They can link federal emergency funding for COVID relief to the presence of mask mandates and other safety measures

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

7of7 posted:

No we need better masks. Very large masks that can surround entire counties or regions to protect the rest of us from the plague lands.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Get your survivalist approved water purification tablet huckstering schemes ready!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

Is a deductible of $1600 really typical? Most places I've worked had the best plans having deductibles in the low $2000 range and most of the plans being far higher than that. Is this one of those things where they are really talking about the "Average", but the average is skewed by a chunk of people who magically have $100 deductibles or something?

It probably includes Medicaid recipients

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

trump would absolutely be serving a second term if he had stood up in a state of the union and said some patriotic non-sense that everyone needs to wear a mask blah blah blah we spent BILLIONS developing an amazing wonderful great vaccine america god bless

All he really had to do was ram through another stimulus payment but he was too focused on winning bigly and too dumb to capitalize on a chance to literally put money in voters' pockets right before election day.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You can't have any kind of discussion about masks or vaccines with people until you've determined whether they think COVID is real and causes suffering and death. It happened to me personally where the goalposts just kept getting moved around all over the place and once I got to the real issue (it's just the flu), then I could disengage and just leave. To a very limited extent, I can understand some hesitancy around the vaccine, but it's not worth a second of my time discussing things if they don't even have a grasp on reality.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

HELL YEAH

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

.... aaaaaaaaaand there goes the DoD with their mandate. :toot:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1429821919008804864

HELL YEAH!!

I'm organizing an event here in Switzerland (a conference for 150-200 people) and we're using the Swiss COVID Certificate which verifies that someone has either recovered from COVID, been vaccinated from COVID or had a negative test in the last 2-3 days (depending on the type of test). People are pre-emptively freaking out and cancelling their memberships because apparently we're requiring vaccinations for all our events (we just said we're using the certificates, go to the department of health to see how to get one) and others are complaining that the tests cost so much money it's not fair to require them. It makes me so happy because I don't want any of these kind of people at my event! Don't like it? Just stay home!

here's the link if anyone's interested https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/hom...zertifikat.html

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

a lot of people will threaten to quit, but these are the same cowards scared of vaccines that have been taken by a billion people now. they'll probably be even more scared of losing their job and fall in line after a public tantrum.

what i'm hoping to see is infighting where the most deranged members of the anti-vax crowd start turning on the more reasonable ones who comply with mandate to avoid being fired.

they're going to fake their vax documents and get charged with multiple federal crimes and the lols will just keep coming

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tuo posted:

Our neighbouring country Austria has a - let's say - pretty right-wing billionaire, Dietrich Mateschitz (Red Bull). He also owns his own TV-Station (ServusTV). My other cool and good and not-Querdenker brother sent me a documentation on that "for review" (I think his words were "please, please send me enough facts back to destroy this") which my Querdenker-brother sent him.

The thing is called "Searching the truth about Corona", produced by ServusTV (and thus Mateschitz / Red Bull) and it's the most hosed up Querdenker gaslighting I have ever seen. I don't think it's available in english, but even if you speak german, I can only advice NOT to watch it, because it hurts. (e: I just realized it actually is in english, and fully subbed to german, but still...don't watch it, it hurts)

PS: it starts with the guy consulting DeSantis, and basically with the words "we all have to die one day", "it's not worse than the flu", "it only kills old people and on average only takes away one month from your life exeptancy". And it gets only worse from there....

e: regarding Germany: it's loving dire here. We are at 60% fully vaxxed, and that's it. The other 40% of the country either are anti-vaxxer (I have to deal with them daily, luckily in most cases not in person) or poo poo their pants because "I know someone who had a really bad reaction to the jab". Fun fact: for like ten years, my motto was "we are living way too good, this can't end well" because a big part of the country grew more and more (disgunstingly) selfish and self-centered.

No poo poo, my Querdenker-brother once said (without any irony): "They should vax the old ones way faster so Germany can open up. We haven't been to brunch for weeks".

Hello from Switzerland and our 53% vaccinated population that had none of Germany's supply issues. We're requiring a covid certificate to go to bars, restaurants, gyms, cinemas, museums, etc. nationwide starting tomorrow and these dumbasses have been kicking off all weekend. You can get a covid cert for being vaccinated, recovered or recently tested so people don't even have to get vaxxed but the free testing will stop October 1st--they already stopped offering free tests if you're vaccinated and non-symptomatic which is dumb as hell but at least it's fair now. I really doubt the covid certs are going to be well enforced, everyone seems to think that not being able to wear a mask properly makes you a big tough guy so I'm looking forward to the fourth wave when everyone wonders what we can possibly do now without forcing anyone to actually do anyting.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

she's not banned at all tho? https://twitter.com/NICKIMINAJ

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Stink Billyums posted:

A couple months ago Alberta decided to follow Florida's lead and basically declare the pandemic over and stop doing anything to mitigate it.

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1438300023561801730

typical Canadian, always apologizing

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

What could changing the names possibly do other than cause confusion / feed conspiracy theories? I don’t get it

it's trademark poo poo

Zil posted:

I thought medicine names couldn't have real words in them like that? Figured Spike would be on that list.

the i is actually one of those upside down Spanish exclamation points

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/RexHuppke/status/1438582836378939393?s=20

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

There's so much pandemic fatigue now that this thing could mutate to be 50% more deadly and there'd be a lot of people just throwing their hands up going welp guess we're all gonna die nothing to be done

We can't let the cure be worse than the disease!

*dies

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I wish Moderna would hurry the gently caress up with booster approval. The latest news I saw is that they are looking into half the dose for the third shot which makes me think I might have less awful side effects, but really I just want a third shot even if it makes me feel like poo poo. Seeing all these Pfizer people getting theirs makes me feel jealous - I'm at 7 months since dose 2.

Moderna's efficacy after 8 months doesn't drop off the way Pfizer's does so that's why there's less urgency.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The other problem with dumb conspiracy theories (and "Vaxx passports are a slippery slope, if we allow this that'll be the catalyst for them taking away even more freedoms" is very much a conspiracy theory) is that it takes very very little work to come up with that dumb idea and it takes much much more worked to rebut it with a grounded, reality-based argument which is backed up by facts and citations. And even if you did manage that they'd just shift the goalposts a little and come up with slightly different but equally dumb conspiracy so you'd have to go through the entire process all over again, etc etc

Also it really doesn't help that we're getting a steady rate of lovely articles like this:
https://twitter.com/theage/status/1444125156335656963

All of this hand-wringing about liberty is so tranparently fake after decades of police/surveillance/Islamophobic bills around the world related to the war of terror--where's the outcry about the no-fly list? Earlier this very year in Switzerland, we voted to amend the loving constitution to make certain kinds of face coverings illegal (burkas/niqabs/hijabs) and there weren't any protests about the slippery slope we're starting on by allowing the government to legislate how people dress. It's just a bunch of white people screaming THE GOVERNMENT CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD TELL THEM WHAT TO DO!!!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

When I flew to the states in August, they required a recent pcr test to board the plane, vax status was irrelevant. I was in Cali just before they started vax checks in restaurants but one bar had started early. My Swiss Covid cert supposedly works with the EU green pass but the guy's QR code reader at the bar didn't recognize it. I showed my swiss ID and got him to look at the app and he let me in. It was a slow night though and we were both tall white guys so probably not a 100% repeatable experiment.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

teen witch posted:

The Swedish one is thankfully bilingual, but I’m mainly worried about someone screaming “faaaake”. However knowing that it’s going a bit easier for you and other goons is relieving

Do you have a Swedish ID? That was how I presented my poo poo, "So I live in Switzerland, here's my Swiss vaxx certificate and my Swiss ID," and it felt like a lot more effort than a faker would make.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

127 confirmed cases of baby bitch in the Washington State Patrol, all of them terminal

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...accine-mandate/

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fallom posted:

I honestly thought CVS pharmacists were like Walmart employees and not people with educations and certifications

they always act stressed and overwhelmed over scanning a barcode and never take the initiative to resolve issues without being yelled at so why would I think otherwise

My sister is a pharmacist and has worked for a number of major chains. They are managed by the same braindead assholes who run the store/region and they get treated like total poo poo like all the other employees. She's got a loving PhD and still doesn't have a fixed timetable and gets scheduled on holidays that were approved months in advance the same as when I worked at McDonald's when I was a teenager. Most of the counter staff is a tech though and they're going through the whole minimum wage = minimum effort that every other retail outfit is going through now.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Faustian Bargain posted:

Someone should definitely put ironic sad music over that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzLHU6S4oic

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Oh yeah! COVID's back baby! Here's Switzerland's new cases:

We introduced COVID passports for indoor dining, gyms, colleges, museaums, etc. on the 1st of September and I got a bad feeling that they're not really going to do much more. People just quickly figured out that, once again, there's no enforcement of any of these requirements. Plenty of bars and restaurants just don't check--they have a sign at the door that they are required and we just trust people to do the right thing. The right-wingers are ringing the freedom bells here and really trying to profit off of everyone's frustration with the government (even though they're the largest party in the Parliament). We didn't have the balls to cancel ski season last year, we're not going to cancel Christmas! We're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

When my parents got their third shot at Walgreens there was no 15 minute waiting time afterwards. Everyone was just free to leave immdediately. I got mine at Kaiser and still had to wait the 15 minutes. Also I had zero side effects on the third shot.

I think any severe allergic reations would have happened after the first shot, and people who had those shouldn't be getting more shots anyway.