Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do not procrastinate on your boosters like my wife and I who are currently marveling at how weird it is not to be able to smell anything.

:guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Unusual symptoms is pretty interesting.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why would that doctor think a particular case was likely to be omicron?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Of course the CDC uses “2019-ncov” in their urls instead of “covid-19”.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Helios Grime posted:

Sorry yeah it's worded pretty poo poo as it's mostly just a shower thought.
I'm just wondering if an infection after being vaccinated has the same effect as getting a booster, is mostly what I'm asking.

This is basically “what are the odds of a double vaxxed person getting two breakthrough cases.” I doubt there are any real stats on that yet.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

What remained unclear, however, was how the Pentagon planned to enforce the mandate for members of the National Guard while they are on state duty. Most of the time, including when they are training, members are on state duty and answer to their governor.

The answer to this brain teaser was, “we won’t pay them and their service won’t count.”

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It feels weird there doesn’t seem to be any way to self-report positive home tests in the US? Do any states have that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

i guess i'm not familiar with the rapid tests you can get at home, never used one. last time i went by a pharmacy (in the us) i saw one for around $25 on the shelf. spending that daily or 2x per week indefinitely would sting for sure, but i don't know that any places are requiring employees to shell out yet. that was just the proposed rule that hasn't gone in effect (and may never).

The ones in the pharmacy for $25 are two packs because they are meant to be used serially since a single negative isn’t that reliable.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm fine with it when I can sit outside. Lots of places have propane heaters for the winter now

Last winter we really learned the limits of those around February. At a certain point with wind and temp, you can be a foot away and not even feel it. Guess it works better if it’s somewhat temperate in winter rather than loving freezing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I tend to think a lot of people who lose their sense of taste really just can’t smell. Given that, it’s got to be weird and mental to not even be able to taste sweetness.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

Connecticut is unusual in that it imposes a “luxury goods” tax on specified purchases. The tax rate on luxury goods is 7.75% and applies to sales of motor vehicles over $50,000, jewelry over $5000, and clothing, footwear and accessories over $1000

Normal sales tax is 6.35%.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think the only real “lockdown” in the US was that week or two in March 2020 where everything just shut down for a bit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Sure, but is the difference between take out and dine-in worth risking your life over?

Honestly don’t think most vaxxed people consider eating out as a “risking your life” behavior at this point.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

n/m

smackfu fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 7, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I got covid on Saturday - double vaccinated but hadn't had the booster yet - not been too sick but I'm booked in for regeneron tomorrow.
Anyone had it, what's the actual experience like? I'm booked in for a 2 hour window and don't know if I need to brace myself for extreme discomfort or feeling poo poo afterwards or what.

Huh, I’m surprised they are doing any real treatments for mild cases.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just interesting how different it is in different areas. The sheet they gave my wife when she tested positive a few weeks ago just gave typical OTC cold symptoms treatments, and said “if you feel worse, come in” and “if you have shortness of breath, go to the ER.” This is with very high vaccination rates in a Northeast state.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

“Starting the week after Thanksgiving, the demand for the monoclonal antibodies started to far exceed our capacity to deliver it, so we needed to move to a more restrictive criteria,” said LeeAnn Miller, Yale New Haven’s chief pharmacy officer. “If you are fully vaccinated, you’re not going to be prioritized as high as those who are not fully vaccinated.”

Connecticut vs Florida

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Florida isn’t even that bad as far as vax rates although I suspect that is because of the generally older population. #21 out of 50.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

As far as the contact tracing app on the iPhone and such, apparently the contact tracer who calls you is supposed to tell you a code to enter. That seems like something no one would ever do.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Zil posted:

I mean they probably did catch it, just were asymptomatic.

OTOH, I’d expect considerate people to do a lot of testing if they live with someone who tested positive.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought all the JNJ people were already being told to booster up with mRNA ASAP?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, sitting waiting after my booster, nurse asks someone for their vaccine card and they said they had it on their phone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

thunderspanks posted:

??
Mine is on my phone, it's certainly not uncommon. Is that a weird thing where you live?

Yeah, the nurse was asking so she could write the booster dose on it.

I guess it isn’t unusual though for people to have lost or damaged their original card in the 6-7 months.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The guy next to me on my plane ride last week was wearing a mask plus face shield. So it does happen…

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I follow Bob Wachter who is the Chair at UCSF Dept of Medicine and doesn’t post much and only retweets interesting experts: https://mobile.twitter.com/Bob_Wachter

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another somewhat obvious bit of advice for the airport is not to hang out in the crowded boarding area if you can help it. Lots of poor masking, bad airflow, people on phones and eating, etc.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Who has been boosted for four months already?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I apparently completely lost track of time since Pfizer boosters were authorized on September 22. Which is three months ago, so close enough to four. Time flies when everything is terrible.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We were able to get testing done at the local urgent care when CVS / Walgreens had no availability at all.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In other Covid news, SNL is having issues.

quote:

Charli XCX’s scheduled performance with Caroline Polachek and Christine and the Queens on Saturday Night Live this week (December 18) has been canceled. The show announced earlier today that due to a recent spike in COVID-19 cases, there would be no live audience for the show and limited cast and crew in the studio, which led to the cancelation of the performance. The trio first announced the performance yesterday on social media. Paul Rudd is still scheduled to host.

https://pitchfork.com/news/charli-xcx-caroline-polachek-and-christine-and-the-queens-saturday-night-live-performance-canceled/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Spaghett posted:

Oddly enough, it's bad smells that i can't smell. I can still smell the good smells.

Similar thing for me… Three weeks in and I can smell candles and soap but not like cat food or farts. I guess it must be different smell receptors? I need to learn more about our sense of smell.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gee, maybe should have just done a third normal dose Moderna:

quote:

Currently, Moderna's booster is administered as a 50-microgram dose. The company announcement noted that its 50-microgram booster dose increased antibody levels 37-fold and a 100-microgram booster dose increased antibody levels 83-fold compared with levels seen before a booster. It remains unclear what these increases mean as far as how well the booster doses clinically work against Omicron.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/20/health/moderna-booster-omicron-bn/index.html

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lockdowns are the obvious other effective step but basically no politicians in the US are willing to do that at this point. Closing schools and businesses is very unpopular even in the liberal parts of the country.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The previous “just have insurance cover them” plan had the benefit of not really requiring any work from the government. Sending physical things to people will probably take weeks or months to get up and running.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Peak American government is that we will buy them at full retail price because we have to support the businesses gouging consumers on tests.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s $24 for a two-pack (since a single negative test isn’t worth much) but that’s not that much better.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

See, Australia is terrible too!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Like someone said earlier, there are too many “bins” that people are in now, and not nearly enough data.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ugh, reaching the point here in the Northeast where everyone has a close contact who tested positive and there are no tests available. So that’s great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Google Butt posted:

haha rip if going to the hospital for any reason what so ever

https://twitter.com/haithamahmedmd/status/1474216726199947289?s=20

The CDC puts out nuanced guidelines and then Twitter pundits only share the “in case of extreme emergency” part. Really doing good work here.