Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Just got Moderna boosted after a J&J first shot :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My handwashing discipline really didn't change due to the pandemic, although I maybe was a little more aware of it. Studies showing the literal poo poo that ends up on grocery cart handles was enough to make me vigilant years ago, and having eczema that makes hand sanitizer and a lot of soaps off-limits means I was already hyper-aware of touching things.

The grocery store I go to has alcohol wipes at the entrance by the carts and I do a once over on every area I might touch (not just the handle but around the top edge) every time. I never see anyone else doing it. I'm glad they still have that though.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i just accept i'm gonna get that grime all over me when i go shopping, then wash my hands when i get home before unpacking everything, and a second time after

never really got into carrying hand sanitizer around with me or seeking it out. probably would've at the start of the pandemic, except it was sold out everywhere, and now i'm back to not caring that strongly about it

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

The Moon Monster posted:

I just got a pfizer booster yesterday after an initial moderna vax in March/April. I felt so lovely this morning I turned the thermostat from 69 to 78 and spent a few hours lying on the floor under a blanket pile over the hottest heat vent in the house. I still feel like poo poo but no longer have crazy bad chills. Meanwhile my wife's arm doesn't even hurt anymore :thumbsup:

I guess I'd say if you had a rough time with the initial vaccine prepare for a rough time with the booster. Maybe you'll get lucky, though!

Changing vaccine types makes it hard to predict the effects. I had almost no side effects from my two Pfizer doses, just a little tired, but the Moderna booster was rough. Starting about 12 hours after the shot I had chills for hours, and the rest of the weekend I felt terrible. Still better than getting Covid though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my car. Whenever I get into my car from being out and about I use some. Probably good practice anyway.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

DickParasite posted:

The early pandemic messaging was all in telling people to wash their hands like a surgeon scrubbing in. There was also significant concern about it spreading on services - to the point where some people were worried they could get Covid from opening a letter that came from China. The CDC insisted hand washing would work and that masks wouldn't. Lol whoops.

My ex and I bought a shitload of Clorox wipes and just wiped down every single surface religiously, until we heard that wouldn't do poo poo because it doesn't spread via surfaces

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I’m convinced that all of the people that got Covid didn’t loving try not to get it at all.

I have been teaching in a classroom for almost an entire year and I have not gotten Covid.

Literally none of the people in my family that are trying have caught covid.

One of my dumbfuck relatives in Wisconsin that thinks this is all bullshit absolutely caught Covid months ago.

All you have to do is wear a mask and use a bunch of hand sanitizer. Then have everyone take their temperature before any social gatherings.

I’m loving glad that everyone that can’t be bothered to do that is going to drop dead.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I too live in a just world :dumb:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In regards to my booster yesterday,

I went Pfizer for the first two, Moderna for the third. Didnt feel too terrible this morning, but I am getting hella sleepy in the mid afternoon currently.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

spunkshui posted:

I’m convinced that all of the people that got Covid didn’t loving try not to get it at all.

I have been teaching in a classroom for almost an entire year and I have not gotten Covid.

One of my dumbfuck relatives in Wisconsin that thinks this is all bullshit absolutely caught Covid months ago.

All you have to do is wear a mask and use a bunch of hand sanitizer. Then have everyone take their temperature before any social gatherings.

I’m loving glad that everyone that can’t be bothered to do that is going to drop dead.

Taking someone's temperature isn't a good way of determining whether or not someone has covid (they can be infectious before they have a fever) and washing your hands doesn't do a whole lot to prevent it. So you might have some luck there as well

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

spunkshui posted:

If that's what you need to believe to keep from going insane from fear I won't contradict you. Yes I will. That's loving nonsense. You got lucky.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

It’s hard to estimate exactly how many people have had covid in the world. 5 million dead and an average fatality rate of somewhere around 0.5% would mean a billion cases. A lot of the world is undercounting deaths and vaccinations have lowered fatality rates this year for a lot of the population, so maybe double that for an upper bound of about 2 billion cases. Huge error bars on that math, but where I’m going here it doesn’t really matter. My point is that I don’t think the 5 or 6 billion people who haven’t caught it yet can all attribute it to good safety practices every day for 2 years. There’s also just a lot of luck and randomness that apply to individual outcomes.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My handwashing discipline really didn't change due to the pandemic, although I maybe was a little more aware of it. Studies showing the literal poo poo that ends up on grocery cart handles was enough to make me vigilant years ago, and having eczema that makes hand sanitizer and a lot of soaps off-limits means I was already hyper-aware of touching things.

Oh friend, I'm with you here much. Hand eczema is such a hassle, and I've been taking meticulous care of my hands for years because when I flare up going to the gym and playing guitar become no go zones.

At least I'm still playing guitar....

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Another Bill posted:

Oh friend, I'm with you here much. Hand eczema is such a hassle, and I've been taking meticulous care of my hands for years because when I flare up going to the gym and playing guitar become no go zones.

At least I'm still playing guitar....

Yeah, it sucks a remarkable amount.

I have fingerless gloves that I use at night so I can still type and use my mouse after I put eczema cream or ointment on the flare-ups on the backs of my hands without getting it everywhere. I hate having anything greasy on my fingers, and if I don't use the gloves whatever is on my hands inevitably ends up in my eyes somehow. I tear off pieces of plastic wrap to apply the cream in the first place to keep it off my fingertips.

Right now the back of my right hand has a faint pink ghost of a big eczema patch, but the back of my left hand looks like I have a few small second-degree burns.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

I thought fomite transmission was generally considered to be a very low risk (even pre vaccines?) and that the overwhelming amount of cases comes from breathing in airborne droplets

It's a topic that is barely studied at all so we don't really know what that ratio is, nor how low the risk really is. It already spreads well via the air from asymptomatic individuals, so it's really challenging to differentiate those cases from cases caused by surface transmission

Washing your hands is generally helpful for preventing respiratory infections, and that’s probably true for covid-19 as well.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bad Purchase posted:

You can safely assume anyone doing the "what about Sweden" thing has been drinking deep from the well of chud misinformation. In 2020, Sweden's chief epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, was anti-mask, anti-lockdown, anti-quarantine, and anti-travel restriction -- basically anti-anything that would control the spread of the pandemic. The only "safety" measure he pushed for was getting kids infected as soon as possible and also somehow (never explained in any practical steps) keeping all elderly and vulnerable people isolated until herd immunity could be reached. I believe he later denied that reaching herd immunity was part of his plan, but it's obvious from his early statements and gameplan that he actually did think herd immunity could be achieved without massive casualties and mayhem. This of course delighted the "let 'er rip" crowd around the world, so they started spinning up the misinformation engine to spew alternative facts about Sweden.

The biggest lie was that Sweden wasn't suffering any ill effects compared to neighboring countries from their do-nothing approach -- some even suggested Sweden was suffering less. I started looking into it after I had heard the Sweden rant a few times from my dad (and also heard from a friend's parents that he was posting it all over Nextdoor every day, lol). I corrected him and pointed him at real numbers and reports of the situation there (a time consuming process), but as you might expect, he ignored them. At the time I was having those arguments (~June 2020), Sweden was ranked 7th in the world in deaths per capita, and the only places in Europe with a higher death rate were Italy, the UK, and then some of the city-states with a very high population density. Sweden's death rate was a full order of magnitude higher than Norway, Finland, and Denmark through May and June of 2020 (and that was before they corrected their intentional undercounting -- the retrospective data was even worse).

Another big lie was that nobody in Sweden was masking or doing social distancing. Just because Tegnell was a moron doesn't mean all Swedes were. Plenty of people were masking and distancing voluntarily, it just wasn't coordinated and enforced by the government so it wasn't as effective as some other nearby countries. But there is no way that Sweden can be used as an example of uncontrolled spread -- just haphazardly controlled. They still practiced masking and distancing better than many US states, for example.

By the 2nd half of 2020 it became clear that their strategy was not working very well compared to their neighbors -- predictably, keeping the elderly in isolation didn't work at all (because you would need actual internment camps for this), and they were still at least half a decade from having enough people infected to claim herd immunity (assuming natural immunity could even protect you that long). Tegnell eventually released a statement that was essentially "oopsie woopsie, we made a little fucky wucky UwU", admitting his approach hadn't worked well. That admission from Tegnell never gets included with all the other right wing talking points that quoted his earlier nonsense, which I still hear occasionally over a year later.

Hey, kudos for doing the research. I'm sure it's not easy to find the facts like you did, assuming you're not a Swedish speaker. You seem to have the right numbers and facts, mostly.

Having lived through it on the ground, I can vouch for your claims about masks - they only started recommending masks for the public "in public transport in situations where distancing cannot be practised" in January of 2021, as the second wave was peaking. (That recommendation bounced back two days ago, BTW, due to rising numbers.)

But I have to correct you about distancing. Sweden's authorities were very much recommending distancing, minimizing social contacts and all the other sensible stuff, all the way back to March of 2020. They had an official "travel ban"* saying you shouldn't travel more than 2 hours from home by car during most of spring 2020. Restaurants and night clubs were curfewed first at 10 PM, then at 8 PM as the pandemic progressed. High schools and up moved to distance learning. The public was recommended to work from home if possible and employers were recommended to permit the same. Employee sick pay was extended to also include the first sick day, which is normally excluded, so workers were more incentivized to stay home when sick. In other words, there were lots of meaningful measures taken, which probably helped prevent even worse outcomes.

So where did Sweden gently caress up? Masks, and the elderly care. By not making sure staff at homes for the elderly had access to proper protective gear (N95/FFP2 respirators or even surgical masks, nor face shields), thousands of seniors died needlessly. Under-trained staff were not vigilant enough about cold-like symptoms, leading to uncontrolled spread at many homes. Geriatric doctors in elderly care were to a large extent ordering palliative care for frail patients presenting with pneumonia, on the (faulty, as proven in other countries) assumption that meaningful interventions would be in vain and only prolong their suffering. Often without even seeing the patient in person. (Of course not, they had no protective gear, remember?)

The whole system of Sweden's elderly care turned out to be very vulnerable, because such a large proportion of the most frail people were in very understaffed for-profit homes which the authorities had very little control over, because our healthcare system has been deregulated to death.

Looking at Sweden's mortality during the pandemic, the dead were overwhelmingly old and frail, and most of the deaths were in the first wave.

Due to the massive amount of misinformation about masks here, I am still having conversations with fellow Swedes where they talk like Covid-19 isn't airborne. Nobody seems to be aware of the different effectiveness of surgical masks vs FFP2. As recently as today, I had a conversation with someone who though all FFP2 respirators are dangerous because they have exhaust valves. The pharmacy on my block has stocked non-valve FFP2 masks since spring of 2020...

So, yeah, knock on Tegnell for being wrong about masks - he absolutely was. So were the WHO and the CDC at the time, because they had only lovely science to base their decisions on, but it had less impact because other governments did a better job of pushing mask mandates in spite of the lack of evidence for them.

*Of course there was no travel ban. Swedish constitutional law does not permit the government to ban anything, except in war time. The "pandemic law" that was passed in ... June 2020? ... couldn't even allow an official ban on travel, it would have been unconstitutional. What we had were "recommendations". Luckily, Swedes are still by and large a compliant people. Compliant enough for it recommendations to be reasonably effective, anyway.

Edit: I had the date of mask recommendation wrong, it was January of 2021. Ooops!

Edit edit: The current recommendation (since yesterday) is still loving surgical masks. "CE marked and compliant to standard SS-EN14683:2019".

Edit edit edit: Reading your post again, your larger point stands: anyone using Sweden as an argument against government intervention is very very wrong. Where Sweden went right was where the government intervened, and where it went wrong was exactly where it didn't intervene.

There is an English-language summary linked on the web site of the Swedish Commission for evaluation of the pandemic response. It contains some pretty damning language.
https://coronakommissionen.com/publikationer/delbetankande-2/

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 8, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Getting my third shot of Pfizer tomorrow. Should I expect it to hit me as hard as the second shot? Do we have any decent research on the efficacy yet?

It's definitely a YMMV situation, but my Pfizer booster was a softer hit, but lasted longer than the 2nd. The 2nd shot I felt miserable that night, but was fine the next day. Booster felt like a mild hangover for 36 hours.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I kind of hope covid hangs around forever because it's a great excuse for skipping the work christmas party which they are definitely having this year.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I kind of hope covid hangs around forever because it's a great excuse for skipping the work christmas party which they are definitely having this year.

Yeah no.

Just don’t go.

gently caress this COVID poo poo.

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

Seth Pecksniff posted:

My ex and I bought a shitload of Clorox wipes and just wiped down every single surface religiously, until we heard that wouldn't do poo poo because it doesn't spread via surfaces

Remember that period of time where people were washing their fruit with soap? That was fun.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fartman posted:

Remember that period of time where people were washing their fruit with soap? That was fun.

Also leaving their groceries outside for like 3 days before bringing them into the house.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

MarcusSA posted:

Also leaving their groceries outside for like 3 days before bringing them into the house.

Or having bouts of insomnia over eating frozen treats

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Deputy Prime Minister and Nationals Leader Barnaby Joyce has tested positive for COVID-19 after arriving in the United States.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-09/barnaby-joyce-tests-positive-for-covid-19-in-united-states/100685450

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm a big fan of masks, not just for the obvious air filter, but as a constant reminder to not touch my face and that I am existing in a pandemic

I need to get my third shot in two weeks or so, fingers crossed it's not too annoying

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No face touching was just completely impossible, even if face touching guaranteed that covid would crawl in through your eyeballs and strangle your brain, there was a snowball's chance in hell I could have avoided it without having my arms sawn off.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Bad Purchase posted:

It’s hard to estimate exactly how many people have had covid in the world. 5 million dead and an average fatality rate of somewhere around 0.5% would mean a billion cases. A lot of the world is undercounting deaths and vaccinations have lowered fatality rates this year for a lot of the population, so maybe double that for an upper bound of about 2 billion cases. Huge error bars on that math, but where I’m going here it doesn’t really matter. My point is that I don’t think the 5 or 6 billion people who haven’t caught it yet can all attribute it to good safety practices every day for 2 years. There’s also just a lot of luck and randomness that apply to individual outcomes.

5 million? More likely 17 million. https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-estimates

Also the CFR is much higher than .5. We're currently sitting at 1.9% per Johns Hopkins

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

The days of "only a fraction of a percent will die" are long past.

Now obviously the rates change as you look at age/comorbidities, but this thing is getting deadlier.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Decades from now, I'm curious to see if we'll ever get a blunt "yeah, everyone was understaffed because companies weren't paying enough. But also because a ton of the workforce up and died."

I'm seeing a lot of the former, and that's fine since it's true as well and worth screaming out into the world. But the latter is pretty goddamn dark to consider.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Jestery posted:

I'm a big fan of masks, not just for the obvious air filter, but as a constant reminder to not touch my face and that I am existing in a pandemic

I need to get my third shot in two weeks or so, fingers crossed it's not too annoying

Moderna has been approved as a booster now so you can take your pick. I had to get Pfizer when i got mine and I did feel a little off for a couple of days, but nothing intolerable.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Shinjobi posted:

Decades from now, I'm curious to see if we'll ever get a blunt "yeah, everyone was understaffed because companies weren't paying enough. But also because a ton of the workforce up and died."

I'm seeing a lot of the former, and that's fine since it's true as well and worth screaming out into the world. But the latter is pretty goddamn dark to consider.
It was obviously a contributor. https://www.advisory.com/en/daily-briefing/2021/02/10/covid-jobs

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

5 million? More likely 17 million. https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-estimates

Also the CFR is much higher than .5. We're currently sitting at 1.9% per Johns Hopkins

Now obviously the rates change as you look at age/comorbidities, but this thing is getting deadlier.

Wish it was 17 million chuds and not a bunch of innocent people

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I don't think you can combine excess death numbers and CFR like that. CFR is specifically talking about known cases, the IFR (what percentage of actual infections die vs. just known infections) would likely be lower than 1.9% since untracked cases would be less likely to be fatal.

naem
May 29, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

serfdom ended in part due to lack of labor when people died

treat the people who farm your land badly and they’d pack up and go elsewhere

they even had to pay them money

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I got covid on Saturday - double vaccinated but hadn't had the booster yet - not been too sick but I'm booked in for regeneron tomorrow.
Anyone had it, what's the actual experience like? I'm booked in for a 2 hour window and don't know if I need to brace myself for extreme discomfort or feeling poo poo afterwards or what.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I agree deaths are underreported by quite a bit, and the 17 M number is pretty believable. I'm not so sure about the 1.9% rate though.

The problem with the mortality analysis you linked is that it is only counting observed cases. The math on that page is just deaths divided by positives. Mild and asymptomatic cases often don't get tested, so that skews the ratio too high (and in most countries probably by a much larger amount than deaths go underreported, because it's much easier to ignore a mild covid case than a corpse). I don't have the link handy anymore sadly, but the 0.5% number that I often use as a ballpark was from a pair of mid-2020 papers that used data from a dozen or so towns in Germany, Italy, and a couple other places that had big outbreaks and included antibody screening in addition to counting positive tests among the participants, which allowed them to account for asymptomatic / untested cases. The rates in the towns were different, but most were in the 0.5% to low 1% range, and the assumption was that the lower end was more likely to be true because their approach was still likely to be undercounting cases. The same is true for that Johns Hopkins page -- the more widely a country tests, the closer it will get to the true fatality rate and the lower the rate will get (until you cross a threshold where the fraction of unreported deaths exceeds the fraction of untested cases somehow).

Of course, demographics always come into play, so it's impossible to just give one number that's accurate everywhere. But I do think it's likely that the mortality has gone up over time with newer variants, I just don't know by how much. I could easily believe it's more like 1% now for someone without a vaccine or prior infection. There's probably good data out there that comes from population screening and tracking rather than just positive tests, but I haven't gone looking in since last year.

In the end, even if your numbers are right (17 million deaths and 1.9% rate), that would work out to about 900M total cases, so my napkin math range of 1-2 billion total cases was still not that far off.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 9, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

fartman posted:

I still do that? Have you seen the videos of people licking things in supermarkets? Or people who are walking and eating ice cream while shopping and licking their fingers and then touching vegetables and smelling them and then putting them back on the shelf and *runs off and washes hands*

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

naem posted:

serfdom ended in part due to lack of labor when people died

treat the people who farm your land badly and they’d pack up and go elsewhere

they even had to pay them money

They didn't have automation back in the 17th century. Remember a lot of jobs now are ideological in nature (they exist not because they're necessary but because we believe a person needs to have a job). I hate to be a downer but we don't have anywhere close to the bargaining power of a 17th century peasant.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I got covid on Saturday - double vaccinated but hadn't had the booster yet - not been too sick but I'm booked in for regeneron tomorrow.
Anyone had it, what's the actual experience like? I'm booked in for a 2 hour window and don't know if I need to brace myself for extreme discomfort or feeling poo poo afterwards or what.

Huh, I’m surprised they are doing any real treatments for mild cases.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

Huh, I’m surprised they are doing any real treatments for mild cases.

This is what I was thinking. Like why?

Seems a bit like over kill I guess.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ if i remember right, antibodies and antivirals are more likely to help if you administer them before the infection is severe. if you're already a couple days away from a ventilator it's too late. so it's probably a "better safe than sorry" thing with maybe some "we're gonna make a lot from your insurance" added in. that's my guess anyway, without knowing the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

^ if i remember right, antibodies and antivirals are more likely to help if you administer them before the infection is severe. if you're already a couple days away from a ventilator it's too late. so it's probably a "better safe than sorry" thing with maybe some "we're gonna make a lot from your insurance" added in. that's my guess anyway, without knowing the situation.

I just know if I knew I had an infection I'd want antivirals if only to hedge my bets.