Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

Weirdly, because of where Omicron replicates in the body, data suggests that it takes longer to show up on rapid tests than other variants. So basically it replicates faster AND takes longer for you to test positive on the most common tests. Diabolical poo poo.

I've read using the rapid test (PCR) to swab your throat as well as nasal passages may help detect it better because of where it replicates in the body (think strep test). A couple of medrxiv preprints are showing the same results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

God please I have two kids going back to school in a week…

Booster eligibility expected for 12-15yo in coming days from FDA

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Neukoln19 posted:

RE double infections I got it twice - first at the very start of the pandemic (bad case but i didnt need to go to hospital) and then a week ago i got the 'cron - i got 2x moderna shots and would have gotten a booster if i hadnt gotten sick -

while im here, when shld i get my booster? ive had covid for a week but am generally feelng better

Once you’re non symptomatic you should be good to go (negative test no fever 24h w/o medication).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So many people - vaxxed masking people - getting Covid in my Facebook feed. Tried to warm them weeks ago to get boosted and wear kn94/n95s but the latest to fall admitted she had scheduled her booster for next week and had kept coming up with excuses as to why she couldn’t come get the kn94s I had for her.

If you’re a procrastinator stop putting it off. If you think your cloth mask will protect you you’re deluding yourself just as much as the anti vaxxed who think their previous infection will protect them.

Stop going to bars/restaurants/amusement parks/on vacations where you have to fly or take public transportation. Stop hanging out indoors unmasked. Stop going to the gym. Just freaking stop.

Chart from Wall St Journal:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

That chart was published in Spring 2021, so it predates Delta (in the US) and Omicron. I would not put any stock in it whatsoever.

Can you explain your logic behind this statement, given that the method of transmission hasn’t appreciably changed from variation to variation?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

liz posted:

drat, I got my booster as soon as the hospital I got my original vaccine called and told me it was available. That was mid October, I still got a good couple months left right?

We’ve switched to N95s for everything now. The only exception is when I go for a walk because gently caress it I need some fresh air and the park is usually empty when I go anyways.

They’re estimating about ten weeks for booster efficacy then T cells start to decline again. Still protects against severe illness/hospitalization etc with the usual caveats (don’t be an over 65 smoker with multiple comorbidities or immune compromised).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cimber posted:

meanwhile, my county's right wing newly elected executive has decided that he overrules the state DoH and is making schools mask optional.

run against this loving moron.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tosk posted:

Is there any extant literature on the effects of jabs after the third?

She doesn't live in the US, but I want to know for my mother. She received two doses of Sinovac followed by a Pfizer booster in the States five months ago, and she's now due for a Pfizer booster where she lives.

She'll probably get it either way but if there's anything to read I would like to.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/01/early-israeli-findings-show-fivefold-boost-fourth-covid-vaccine-dose

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The in person ones or the ones already doing it remotely?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

compshateme85 posted:

Well it's only going to catch cases that have had enough time to incubate to pop positive, so testing a large group of people that haven't been isolating 5 days prior to the test (presumably) would be useless.

I guess my question is is the Cue test more likely to be right or the rapid test?

False negatives are a lot more likely than false positives. Get a PCR test.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

I liked that phrase about life not being a movie and you (the reader) not being a star. I sometimes wonder if part of the reason for Coronavirus denial and apathy is because its not a particularly cinematic disease - the early footage of people collapsing in the street or being boarded up in apartments definitely had zombie movie energy, but it hasn't been people in hazmat suits carrying foaming corpses or violently puking black bile or cars piling into each other on intersections. Its been Zoom meetings and a pain in the rear end to get toilet paper and a patina of things being poo poo but tolerable for a lot of us.
This is exactly it. Remember how they reacted to ebola? If covid had you bleeding out of your eyes or erupting in unmaskable pustules, people would not be antimasking/antivaxxing idiots, because the visuals would be too much to ignore or downplay.

quote:

I said it in another thread about boomers, but the reason most of them seem to lust for the apocalypse is because they think they'd be able to still go out for brunch the Sunday after.
No, its because they think they'll be able to kill their enemies/minorites with impunity and rule over the ashes in their lifted 4x4s and tons of guns and stockpiled oatmeal and beans.

Turns out the apocalypse is a hell of a lot more boring, eating dried provisions loving sucks and airborne viruses don't care how white or cool you think you are, nor how many guns you have.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tagra posted:

Excellent, thank you!

The official stance from the "safety officer" at work was still "N95s should be reserved for medical professionals" (which I'm pretty sure we all stopped saying loving years ago now) and also some statements along the lines of "And unless your N95 is properly fit tested you're actively doing harm to yourself so just use a surgical mask" it really pissed me off.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaken before I go write angry emails to them though.

You are absolutely correct and even the CDC walked that back:
Some respirators are designed and tested to meet international standards. These respirators are labeled to tell you what standard they meet. Respirators approved by NIOSH are evaluated by NIOSH against a specific US standard that includes a quality requirement. International standards do not often have quality requirements.

The most widely available respirators that meet an international standard are KN95s.

Other examples include 1st, DL2, DL3, DS2, DS3, FFP2, FFP3, KN100, KP95, KP100, P2, P3, PFF2, PFF3, R95, and Special.

Do NOT wear

If you have certain types of facial hairpdf icon
International respirators with exhalation valves or vents
If hard to breathe
If wet or dirty
As a replacement for NIOSH-approved respiratory protection when required by your job

Counterfeit (fake) KN95 respirators

BE AWARE: About 60% KN95 respirators in the United States are counterfeit (fake) and DO NOT meet NIOSH requirements.
A webpage and a webinar are available about factors to consider when purchasing an international respirator.

NIOSH-Approved N95 Respirators

When supplies are available, individuals may choose to use a basic disposable N95 respirator for personal use, instead of a mask, in some situations.

CDC recommends that specially labeled “surgical” N95 respirators should be prioritized for healthcare personnel.

Employers who want to distribute N95 respirators to employees shall follow an Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) respiratory protection programexternal icon.

What to know about N95s

Filter up to 95% of particles in the air when approved by NIOSH and proper fit can be achieved
Seal tightly to the face when fitted properly
Since N95 respirators form a seal to the face, they may feel harder to breathe through than a cloth mask
N95 respirators cannot be washed. They need to be discarded when they are dirty, damaged, or difficult to breathe through
N95 respirators tend to be more expensive than masks

Wear an N95 with

Cup, flat fold, or duck bill shape
Two straps that go around the head
Formable wire nose bridge
Appropriate markings printed on the filter indicating the N95 respirator has been approved by NIOSHimage icon

Do NOT wear an N95

If you have certain types of facial hair
If it is a counterfeit (fake) N95 respirator
If hard to breathe
If wet or dirty
With a mask or second respirator

How to wear

Individuals who want to use a respirator for personal use should follow the user instructions exactly.
Fit testing (a process that uses specialized equipment) is the best way to determine if the respirator fits you. Even without fit testing, a well-fitting properly worn respirator may provide more protection than a mask. However, a poorly fitting or improperly worn respirator or mask may reduce its intended benefit.
NIOSH and OSHA have developed a video demonstrating how to perform a user seal check and how to properly put on (don) and take off (doff) a respirator, as well as a NIOSH factsheetpdf icon.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah I'm not really worried about her recovering, I'm sure she will. I'm worried about lifelong side effects like brain fog and tinnitus and poo poo like that. This is scaring the crap out of me.

There's no rhyme or reason to who gets it, it seems, nor is there much you can do to prevent it that you haven't already done. Just know the odds are greatly in her favor for a full uneventful recovery and the first shot can only have helped.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Health experts were pretty excited when the antigen tests started getting onto shelves, since they don't require a lab you can screen for covid much more effectively in a large population and that means sick people are more likely to stay home. So this is actually the specific usage that epidemiologists would want: free tests in every medicine cabinet for the people who want to use them.

PCR tests are much more accurate, but giving everyone 4 PCR appointments each month would be a nice but futile gesture

It may surprise you that some places and institutions are doing more than this. In some places in Illinois you can get PCR every day from 8-6 if you want.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

For free? Because that's pretty impressive, but I wonder if that's just because demand happens to be low in those areas specifically. In the Puget Sound area there basically is no longer any free PCR capacity, slots fill as soon as they open. Same for various parts of Hawaii. You can probably still go to the sorts of "premier" places if you don't mind paying $200

For free. Walk up. Might have to stand in line for awhile (longest I think was just before Christmas some people waited almost two hours but it was nuts) but there’s at least three sites within 20m of me not counting the university and we’re not alone in the state. They expanded hours at the drive up site to six days a week after New Years, the other sites are the saliva test. Nasal swab can take a day or two for results spit test is usually within 24 hours (lab in town and another in a city about 45m away). Some K12 schools opted in for the spit test as well but they charged at first then after ARPA passed they paid for it with those funds.

I don’t know why the spit test didn’t take off it’s so much faster and more comfortable then swabbing your nose. Kids as young as five can do it, it’s literally just working up a tsp or so of saliva and then putting it into a small collection tube with either a straw or funnel. With the app they developed and ‘banking’ your spit (work it up while you’re in line) you can be in and out in less than a minute (so long as the people working know to ask every question so it can be answered yes or no. They almost all do or learn quick).

https://www.uillinois.edu/shield

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nope. I included a link in another post.

In Illinois its this one:
https://shieldillinois.com/faq/
Nationwide its this one:
https://www.shieldt3.com/

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

brugroffil posted:

I think they're trying to say that there wouldn't even be the town evacuation and exclusion zone or anything, just "learning to live with the radiation"

some people do still live there.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/article/life-goes-on-chernobyl-35-years-after-worlds-worst-nuclear-accident

I couldn't tell you if they were antivax or not.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

withak posted:

They last more than one day unless you are a filthy mess or you work somewhere that is a filthy mess.

I think last I checked they can do about 40 hours so long as you aren't working out in them or running around in the rain or something.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

bradburypancakes posted:

I guess the move is gonna be to do your winter shopping in the summer before next years winter wave comes through and fucks everything up again
I bought a box of 200 right before thanksgiving when they were dirt ducking cheap and no one was buying because COVID’s over bro and the first stirrings of omicron were going around. Now I wish I’d bought ten for teachers. The same box is now going for 230 bucks (up from 125) and has been sold out since Christmas.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

n8r posted:

Ok so if my kid tests negative (after being positive) do I still need to mask around him until day 10?

I would personally, if you need to not get sick. omicron seems to wax and wane.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

enki42 posted:

If it's anything like the 1918 pandemic we'll probably intentionally ignore it to the point that it becomes just a point form thing in a history book of "stuff that happened in the early 21st century".

People were still dying of it well into the 20s (source: death certificates from genealogy research)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's literally no way they could have known if it was the 1918 flu though. It's not impossible that a good proportion of flu deaths in the 1920s were from H1N1, but there's no actual basis for a doctor to have put "Spanish Flu" on a death certificate after 1920, when total deaths (and the age profile of deaths) had returned back to normal levels.

they didn't put 'spanish flu' on the deaths that were caused by it in the 1918 outbreak either. It was always just 'the flu' 'grippe' 'la grippe' 'influenza or complications thereof'

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So what makes you think those were deaths from H1N1 compared to just normal flu deaths then?

quote:

The high mortality in healthy people, including those in the 20-40 year age group, was a unique feature of this pandemic.

Previous and post flus weren't killing otherwise healthy young people, as a rule.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

The sad thing about Joe Rogan is he's a moron but he's not a malicious one. He means well. He's just a huge idiot.

At what point does your idiocity become malignant? I mean I'm sure Typhoid Mary was a lovely woman but eventually she was confined to a drat island.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I didn't bring it up myself, but Dr. Pepper is a spiced cherry flavored carbonated beverage. The main characteristic flavor compound in cherry (real cherries and cherry flavor) is benzaldehyde (same as almonds!). So there can be some flavor connection between cherry cough syrup and Dr. Pepper depending on the flavor used in the cough syrup.

The flavorhouses that make soft drink flavors are the same ones that make cough syrup flavoring. It's all just chemistry.

ETA: I'm a food scientist and I rely on my sense of taste and smell for my career and I am terrified of losing them.

This is cool. Now tell me why when I try to make a raspberry chocolate torte I lose the raspberry flavor no matter how much chambord I put in.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Raspberry is just one of those really difficult flavors to capture in food. Chambord doesn't have a lot of raspberry character, unfortunately. Does the recipe call for raspberry jam?

It did not, just raspberry liquer, but I do have a bottle of this stuff in raspberry I might try next. Question is how much, they give ratios but its more on an industrial kitchen scale not home and kind of more tailored towards drinks or frosting.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I bet that was an incredibly satisfying probe. Just amazed it took this long with that rap sheet holy wow.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That'd be tens of millions. If you include kids who are too young to get vaxxed there's at least 80 million unvaxxed people in the US. Also a significant percentage of "first vaccinations" have been miscounted so the actual number of people who have received a jab in the US is unknown.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-12-21/uneven-reporting-raises-doubts-about-cdc-vaccination-numbers

I’m betting a lot of those over counted shots were vaccine tourism, especially from Asia. My in laws told me that rich Thais were flying over and playing tourist last late spring and summer when cases were low here and exploding there but mRNA vaccines weren’t available there. They’d even bring the kids because hey the Americans are just throwing them out and they don’t even ask for ID.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

It also reportedly has less side effects. My 2nd and 3rd moderna shots killed me so I'm hoping this is easier on me.

And, it doesn't need ultra cold storage which is a problem in many countries.

I thought they determined that the mRNA vaccines didn't need as crazy cold storage as they initially thought, either.

Edit: Yeah, they changed that somewhat back in June.

quote:

The vaccine was the first to receive WHO Emergency Use Listing on 31 December 2020, but according to data submitted as part of this application, the vaccine had to be shipped at temperatures between -80°C and -60°C (-112°F and -76°F), could only be kept in a normal freezer at -20°C (-4°F) for two weeks, and unopened vials could only be stored at refrigerated temperatures of between 2-8°C for five days, before either being used or thrown away. Very few countries had the capacity to manage a vaccine requiring ultra-cold storage.

BioNTech told Reuters that it had initially imposed these requirements as a precautionary measure, because stability and durability tests of the vaccine had been started relatively late in the development process. However, its manufacturing partner Pfizer has since submitted further data to regulators suggesting that undiluted, thawed vials of the vaccine are stable at refrigerator temperatures for up to one month.

Increased flexibility in the storage and handling of the vaccine is expected to have a significant impact on its roll-out in EU member states, and within the USA. And now that the WHO has made a similar recommendation and updated its guidance, the vaccine can be stored at higher temperatures in Gavi-supported countries too.

Moderna’s mRNA vaccine, for which COVAX recently signed an advance purchase agreement for 500 million doses, has less stringent cold-chain requirements: it must be shipped at -20°C (-4°F) and can be stored at that temperature for up to six months, but once thawed, it too can be kept in a standard refrigerator at 2-8°C (36-46°F) for up to 30 days.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Schools should be the last thing to close in a good society because education is important

Perhaps casinos, bars, and whorehouses should take a break before children learning to read

My kids have seen Encanto like four times (at least the first 30 minutes) because of how many teachers are out and being replaced by subs. This is middle and high school.

Education ain't happening too much right now. But they know all the words to 'We Don't Talk About Bruno' so gg.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

It rules that we’re doing the head-in-the-sand thing now that a variant is around that is not only really good at evading the immune system and thus at reinfecting people (maybe repeatedly), but is also the fastest spreading pathogen that humanity has ever encountered. I’m sure it will just go away and that things will be fine.

Is it though? Or is it just the most tested for pathogen so we know it’s spread better than any other in modern history?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

how'd they get so many rats, i thought they were really expensive in america

America throws away a ridiculous amount of food every day. The rats eat well here, especially in big cities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXUG8q4jKU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

so is the other platform one of those free speech regressive people?

wikipedia posted:

Rumble has received investment from venture capitalists Peter Thiel and J. D. Vance.[4]
So yes.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

coronatae posted:

I have enjoyed the work happy hours I've attended (the big boss is really fun and engaging and also buys us shots) but this is the second or third one I've turned down for roni reasons. Last time I went to one was in December before the arrival of omicron.

I finished my participation in the Texas CARES survey yesterday. I gave 3 blood samples (1st two in August and November) and they quantitated my COVID antibodies. The results indicate that I have never had actual covid but at the moment I am abundant with anti-spike antibodies

man I want to do this, if only to see if I actually caught it back in Feb 2020. Or is that too long ago now to show anything?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They also all wore socks and shoes.

Obviously barefoot life is long life. Ban footwear.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

How are u posted:

No. But even back in the day when I wasn't in a long term relationship I wasn't afraid of catching HIV.

I sure as hell was and if condoms weren’t involved neither was sex. Course if you’re a straight male I guess I could see why you’d be less afraid.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

I have been trying to get fabric elastic ones for a while, they don't seem to be releasing them to consumers/having supply chain issues currently.

The elastomeric band is really cheaped out and too thin and stretches out a lot faster than they used to, and the first one I wore at work fell into the toilet while I was taking a poo poo after about 13 hours of use because both straps broke, but they are still gold-standard as far as filter media and comfort goes. I started wearing Powecoms at work for ease of use on a manufacturing floor, especially with how easy the Aura straps break and drinking water, etc. but I wear Auras out to the store and stuff.

My girlfriend really likes the powecoms for work as well, because she has an afro and they give her options as to how she wants to wear her hair; vs. having to have it in a high, tight bun all day every day.

Look for fabric elastic at sewing supply stores (e.g. JoAnn's).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

There are plenty of jobs out there esp in computer toucher land offering benefits and remote work. Don't stay where they're outright telling you you're not valued.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Philthy posted:

Go get some security certs, the bare minimum ones. Security field is looking for anyone right now, with stuff like Security+ it'll put you above the other warm bodies. Believe me when I say your competition in IT right now is someone who doesn't even know what a desktop PC is. The worker shortage is real. The past two generations grew up on cell phones. They want nothing to do with computers, servers, security, etc.

Gonna second this. If you've ever built a PC or run steam on linux you're already there. If you haven't apply for government help desk jobs, read the loving manuals/documentation and start making contacts with all the other departments you'll be in regular contact with. They like to hire internally because you're a known quantity if you're any good at all and not a crazy man child. They'll pay for your certs/classes as you move into different departments and get more experience and while the pay isn't great the benefits usually are and remote work is becoming pretty standardized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Strep Vote posted:

BA.2 is already here, growing fast, and is divergent from ba.1 so good luck with immunity lol

Preprint is showing that original omicron is providing crossover immunity to BA.2 and boosters are still working well at preventing symptomatic infection against it (74% less likely).

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/17/health/ba-2-covid-severity/index.html is where I saw the story.