Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My boss is anti-vax. All vaccines, not just covid.

Most of my coworkers don't wear a mask. gently caress, a few months ago one was fired for getting into a screaming match with a customer over refusing to wear a mask.

Most of my customers don't wear one of course.

Am I the only fucker in this town who wears a mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I work in delivery. As of today we are back to getting customers signing on our delivery phone/pads. Most people are fine with it. A few keep asking if it's safe. Officially "covid is declining and customers want the signature option so if they refuse to sign, mark it as refused and leave with the delivery."

I wear a mask. Most of the others on my team don't.

Oh and my boss is anti-vax.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My brother's girlfriend just had a baby on Friday. They're already home and wanting visitors despite the fact there is covid all over (we had 2k new cases in my state today). I already told my mom/baby's grandmother we are not going over for a while. Meanwhile other family members have already visited.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I keep wishing there was a more visible effect of covid. Like your eyes would bleed. Just little drips here and there, enough for people to notice. Or you would get large skin lesions. gently caress it, you get covid, and all your hair dries up and falls out in clumps. Something physical that would make people stop and treat it like a real threat.

Bonus round: you get Covid and your dick shrinks by an inch, and your scrotum is covered with ingrown hairs.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was with that until I got to the dick shriveling part which just feels like the “everyone who gets it is a chud anyway” kind of attitude I see on the forums sometimes.

You're right, that is kind of spiteful of me.

No dick stuff.

Bleeding eyes I want to keep though. Or really really bad dandruff?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just was informed that judging someone who is not wearing a mask is the same as judging someone for the color of their skin.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

blight rhino posted:

I agree. and it's just a twinge

it's just a twinge, bro. I said it's a good thing, i just don't really have to agree with it.

that's fair, and a good point.

lol, thank you. Like I said, I was surprised I even felt like that when they said it'd be mandated for government civilians.

e- well there were a few more. But thanks for your honest opinions, folks. Like I said, everyone should be vaccinated. Everyone should want to get vaccinated. But I know that's not the case.
Anyone I know that I work with that push back on it, I'd still try to convince them.
It's just the whole forced mandate terminology that picks at me

Out of curiosity, what is your stance on restaurant workers not washing their hands before prepping food? Or a doctor in a government hospital not wanting to wear a mask when doing surgery?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

Serious question - what are your thoughts on other vaccinations? And what are your thoughts on childhood vaccinations and requirements for attending public schools?

Not even vaccines: what are your thoughts on food prep workers choosing not to wash their hands after taking a poo poo? I mean, it is their freedom to do so and the chance of food poisoning is low.

Or food prep workers who use the same utensils on raw meat and then other food items? Transfer of germs is a theory, and again, food poisoning isn't fatal and most allergies aren't either.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also you have to consider the source when it comes to these kind of criticisms of the vaccine. I mean, when the president of the United States went on to say so many times how we should try using bleach or fish medication to kill covid, and that covid really wasn't such a big deal, but secretly got vaccinated himself, and while downplaying everything about the virus. A plague should not be politicized. And again I think back, in a parallel universe somewhere a little over a year ago, Trump went whole hog and printed and made millions of trump 2020 masks, Trump 2024 masks and spend some lie that this was the China virus brought over by the liberals and anyone who was a smart American would mask up and he would have won re-election very likely in a landslide.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No seriously, to any goon who says that being forced to get the vaccine is a violation of their civil liberties, making me wash my hands after I take a monster poo poo in the bathroom, before going out to make food for the adoring public is also a violation of my civil liberties.

Right?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

To me the difference is basically that the government shouldn't be allowed to force you to put anything in your body. I think people should, I have, and would encourage others to get the vaccine but it's follows along similar lines as to why I think the death penalty should be abolished - aside from the cops, the prosecutors, witnesses, etc getting things wrong and numerous other arguments, at its core I think that the government shouldn't be allowed to choose whether or not people die.

I guess being a selfish rear end in a top hat is kind of a human right? I dunno. It's just how I feel and I might change my mind someday but that's just what seems like the right line to draw.

So this said, where do you stand when it comes to parents refusing medical treatment for their kids? I mean, it is their right to make medical decisions about their kids. Denying them surgery for religious reasons is as valid as any?

The right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins, rear end in a top hat.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
One of our main delivery spots had 4 dudes test positive for Covid a few weeks ago. No one said anything about it, to any of the customers or couriers.

Three days ago, my work decided that we need to start wearing masks again. The amount of bitching could power a loving world because people are so pissy about it. "We have to wear masks INSIDE all the stores now? And INSIDE the production centers? And INSIDE customer homes? THIS IS BULLSHIT."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Had an aquarium club meeting last night. Average age of attendees is about 60.

I wear a mask. I also didn't sit in the main room with everyone else (the room has Covid restrictions on space, as in where there were 20 tables that could seat 70 people or so, now there were 6 tables, which the other members solved by simply crowding chairs everywhere there wasn't a table) and did not eat. And I was only one of two people that wore a loving mask. Even the loving waitress had hers on her loving chin.

I stayed for half an hour, long enough to do the monthly raffle, which I run (and people also got mad I wouldn't let them draw the next ticket. What usually happens, pre Covid, is I draw a ticket, call the name, the person comes up and draws the next winner before they pick their prize.), then booked it the gently caress out of there. I did get a lot of glares from people when they'd fill out their raffle tickets, because I had alcohol spray I'd cover the pens with. When one dude asked me why I did that, I explained my mom had underlying health conditions and I'm not bringing anything home to her. This rear end in a top hat looked me in the eye and said, "Wow, you are SO brave for coming out here."

If we have the meeting at that place again, I won't be going. gently caress, if we can ever go back, the manager looked ready to explode when he saw how crowded the room was.

Of course listening to the others was hilarious too. How "the manager can't MAKE us leave" to "no one wants to work because of the BIDEN MONEY" to "I won't get a third shot, it's so dumb" to "well maybe I'd get one but I don't want to get boosters forever if nothing ever changes."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

asdf32 posted:

You might want to read more about long covid. It’s a group of mostly mild symptoms lasting usually between 4-8 weeks. The vast majority of kids who have long covid symptoms lose them by 8 weeks.

It’s not about covid being no big deal. Lots of things are a big deal. My son was in intensive care for rsv and got sick so many times from 8-10 months with stomach bugs, hand foot mouth and colds that he lost weight. Those are big deals. But so is school and socialization.

A few links on the subject in general.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/07/28/us/covid-schools-at-home-learning-study.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/08/10/opinion/covid-schools-masks.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...cdc-11628432716

So it's kinda like the other vaccines that cause autism. On one hand, your kid could get the tism from the shots. On the other hand, he could get measles and die. So it's a YOLO thing, righto.

That was sarcasm, I am not anti-vax, but seriously goon, you're like the loving mayor who is told the beach needs to be closed because jellyfish are swarming and their sting can be fatal and your reply is "but it's summer and people love the beach and need to be on the beach!"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I deliver medical supplies to nursing homes. Without fail, most of the time I walk up to the doors with the wheelchair or oxygen pump, and the doors and windows are plastered with signs about no visitors due to Covid, every contractor needs to wear a mask, you need an appointment to come inside, etc, and I head in through two sets of doors, each with the same warning poo poo about needing to be masked and wash your hands and social distance, and now INSIDE the loving care facility, the security guard probably has a mask on.

None of the nurses do. None of the people manning the front areas do. In fact when I head in, it takes them a second to realize, then they quickly put their masks on: a tossup between it being on their desk, the floor, on their chin, or in another room.

I have worn masks since...April or May of last year. I loving love it. I love being able to mouth off to assholes and they can't see it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

Lol - nice meltdown indeed.

Hey I got an anecdote, a friend is slightly immunocompromised and when she got covid from her idiot boyfriend, she had it for three months. Really hosed her up during this time.

When I got my booster less than a week ago, someone pointed out ITT that people who are antivaxx DGAF who they hurt. I know too many people who just don’t believe me when I tell them two of my old neighbors died of covid, this friend had it for three months, the experience of even being tangentially related to the death of someone is a terrible feeling for someone who isn’t so callous as they’re being. I’m used to the why should I care attitude, but it’s been taken several steps further into really dark places of “good, too many people anyway”. When it gets there, just no drat point in talking anymore.

Maybe some people are just channeling every negative emotion into these strange monsters they’re becoming.

This sucks.

This is the future.

I wonder, if the insanity that had been Trump hadn't been president when this poo poo went down, think it would have been so politicized?

Dark humor, there was a dude I used to work with years ago that was fairly quiet, didn't do much poo poo with coworkers. The joke was he'd be the first workplace shooter we'd ever have. He overheard some people talking about that once, and said he'd never be a workplace shooter for two reasons: if he ever killed people he didn't like, he'd want to take his time, and for that you need a private room, as opposed to mass panic and people screaming. And reason two, he didn't like guns.

Saw the dude on Facebook a bit ago, and he's got a mask on. He even had a post that while there's too many people in the world, he doesn't want to be the reason any of them die from Covid. Presumably a virus is lowbrow in terms of being a serial killer?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to start the rumor that all the dewormer poo poo has been shipped in from China so it could be tainted. And add to that that the vaccine now out actually has the dewormer IN it but liberals don't want you to know it and are trying to keep you from getting it.

That said I doubt any of the chuds would believe it unless Trump said it himself. The liberals DON'T want you to get the vaccine!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

LOL yeah no some of us in AZ see the fuckers as grifters and anyone who "just wants to ask questions" as idiots.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
OK Goons help me out with the math on this.

Last Tuesday there was an event at our cat rescue where several cats came in through intake. Someone at this event had covid, and told the director today. This past Saturday, there was a large adoption event with pretty much everyone who was at the intake on Tuesday being present on Saturday. My mom was one of the people who was not at the Tuesday and take, but did go to the Saturday adoption event because one of our fosters got adopted. So my question is when I should start feeling symptoms?

Both she and I are fully vaccinated, she tells me she wore a mask to the event.

There's so much misinformation out there.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As I understand the question - you're worried about having potentially caught it from your mother, if she caught it on Sunday from someone who attended on Sunday with her and also on Tuesday with the infected person?

First of all - if you are in a high risk group and believe you may have been exposed, get tested ASAP and then again a few days later, don't rely on arcane back-of-the-envelope predictions from random people on the internet.

That out of the way... For most people it's apparently 1-3 days for first symptoms (tickly throat/runny nose/general malaise), 3-5 days for less ambiguous symptoms (fever, aches, cough, loss of smell/taste) *but* you can add a week or more to that if you get really unlucky - those rare cases of a week or two of being asymptomatic but still spreading are apparently one of the major drivers of superspreader events. In other words, don't start thinking if you make it to next Saturday without a sniffle you're in the clear, *especially* if you're in a sufficiently high risk group that early, aggressive treatment would be advisable.

I got tested today, waiting on results.

Timeline as I understand it: last Tuesday there was an intake at our cat rescue. Someone there had Covid, so any volunteer, the vet tech, and director were exposed. The latter two were at the adoption event Saturday, and several volunteers as well. My mom was one of the volunteers. She wore a mask Saturday. Not sure about others.

One person from the intake event on Tuesday tested positive already. Everyone so far has said they were vaccinated.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Forget the initial event thing, it's irrelevant. What matters is your mom (whom you presumably live with?) was exposed on Saturday.

Imo a lot of the risk is based on the various things "wearing a mask" can mean. It can be "I had a mask with me but there were drinks and appetizers so I had it off most of the time" to "I wore a mask most of the time but it was a gappy cloth mask" to "I wore an N95 or better and it did not leave my face for a second."

If it's literally the latter (and you trust your mom to remember and tell the truth about whether she had a snack, etc.), I wouldn't worry, it's the same exposure you get whenever you go to the grocery store. Reliable wearing of a quality mask should protect you.

If it's something riskier, then I would consider it as a possibility. I also wouldn't rely on testing because false negatives are so high, especially without symptoms (which you may not develop since you're vaxed). I would try to wfh if it wouldn't be a big deal. I wouldn't go to social gatherings or unnecessary outings. I absolutely would not, period, visit any older or immunocompromised people for two weeks.

Ymmv, there are certainly plenty of people who are like "I'm vaxed so I won't die, idgaf if I infect anyone now"

Wfh isn't really an option. Doesn't help my boss is antivax.

It blows my mind seeing how many people out there right now just don't wear a mask, especially older people. Or, people who will keep their mask on their chin or in their hand until they step inside a building and then will slowly and clearly unhappily put it on, but usually the nose exposed.

edit: at the very least getting vaccinated was barely an issue with my mom. I made the appointment, she got it, end of story.

The rescue story continues in that one of the intake people on Tuesday returned from a loving vacation. Because, you know, we take vacations in a pandemic.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 9, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
New term on conservative talk radio today, which play sometimes at work, is Faucism.

In other news, one of the vet techs at the rescue said she no longer has a sense of taste, can only smell lemon or citrus right now. This is not sounding fun.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Mom and I both got back the result is negative. But we're going to get retested on Monday because that's what the testing site said to do just to eliminate any false negs.

To the goon side of head covid, does your sense of taste and smell always come back?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn does conservative radio hate Fauci possibly moreso than Biden. I am surprised the former hasn't been on some political map with sniper marks like what happened to Gabby Giffords.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Imagine how fast companies would get you the vaccine, I'm talking like how they do blood drives with vaccine clinics in the parking lot, if the government made any kind of noise about oh well if your workforce is entirely vaccinated, you get another 10% tax break.

The only deferment should be for medical allergies/reasoning. Anytime someone says they won't get the vaccine because of a religious or moral standing, the covid vaccine, or any vaccine, they should all be forced onto that island typhoid Mary lived on.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly amazed that people are still doing international fun travel. A friend of mine is going to Germany for the next few weeks for some kind of festival.

Got my booster on Saturday. Arm is just a little sore but otherwise no issues.

Saturday evening I had my monthly aquarium fish meeting. I'm the only one who keeps a mask on it doesn't eat, and I make sure I sit away from most everyone which is actually pretty easy when I have my own table. Hilarious though to see even the servers in the restaurant don't have masks on. And there was one dude in the back of our meeting room who kept coughing on and off all meeting and shooting me dirty looks whenever I bust out my alcohol spray.

I run the raffle for the club, and pre covid it involved a very simple system where everyone would throw the raffle tickets in one giant jar, I would pull the first one, and then if I pulled your name, you would come up, pick the next ticket, and then go get your prize. Since covid I've eliminated that step, and some people think it's insulting that now I'm the only one that pulls the tickets. A few people have called fix if the same few people win, never mind that happened even when everyone was sticking their grubby hands in the jar. I just tell people that we can get through the raffle faster, get their prices faster if I'm not standing there waiting for people to dig through the jar, shake it up a few times, and then pull a ticket. Although precovid, there was one lady who licked her fingers before reaching into the jar. I was so shocked the first time I didn't say anything, but the next time I jerked the jar away, and she called that publicly shaming her when I refuse to let her stick her wet fingers back into the jar. Haven't seen her in a while, I wonder if she got sick from pretty much licking door handles.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nurse on talk radio today was fussing because she refuses to get vaccinated (and the host agreed that no essential workers who worked SO HARD last year should be forced to) because God Protects Her.

The brokebrainedness of it all just makes me laugh.

God protects me, not thee.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Still amazed by people who think they are immune because they already had Covid. Or that they are Naturally Immune so don't need a vaccine.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Religious exemptions should never be part of anything. Medical, yes. Morality? gently caress off.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
we have an in person meeting for the first time since covid started, this saturday. the dude driving the carpool won't wear a mask. no one at the meeting will be wearing a mask because breakfast will be provided.

i think i might have to drop outta the carpool, which sucks because it's loving 40 minutes one way, but at least in the conference room i can sit away from people and not eat and keep my mask on.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cloth mask is still better than no mask, at least if it is tight fitting, right?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bort posted:

you help keep mask wearing normal. It's significantly better than nothing.

I am the only person at my work who wears a mask at all. Same with all my customers pretty much.

Cloth masks I can at least clean and reuse; the N95s I have to replace every other day due to all the dirt at work. if work supplied them, be a different story. But my boss is anti-vax and even when it was required to mask up, she would refuse.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if the air wherever you work is foul enough to kill an n95 every other day covid probably ranks relatively low on the list of reasons you should be wearing one

I work in deliveries with tires and other outside poo poo. Spiders are sometimes a freebie.

always is amusing when I spray myself down (rubbing alcohol and water) after a delivery of something, and head to a hospital or care center, and see a bunch of nurses and other health care workers standing around signs proclaiming everyone needs to mask up and get a temp check before entering a building, and none of them are masked. I do like when they put theirs on when they see I'm close and am wearing one already.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zugzwang posted:

Can you wear a cloth mask over your N95 so that the cloth absorbs some of the dirt? Might extend the life of the N95. Assuming the particles are big enough for the cloth to catch of course.

Now that I can do, as long as the drat N95s last more than a few days. From the N95 sales sites, it says they need to be replaced every few days, which is where I took the replacement idea from.

It's so goddamn trying being the only person who even tries to keep safe at work, and outside it. poo poo, we just had a work meeting today and I was the only one with a mask on, didn't sit by people, didn't eat with the others. My boss even asked me why I kept my mask on.

Anne Whateley posted:

If there's that much particulate matter, you should definitely be wearing an N95 or better regardless of covid. If you're just getting spattered with spaghetti sauce or something, wear a cloth mask over an N95.

If nobody else wears a mask, that makes it even more important for you to wear a good mask if you don't want covid.

Again, if you can't afford $10 or $20 for the Powecom ones I linked, goons will cover it. Here's the CSPAM thread, and if you say it's for masks, not only will they be all over it, they'll probably beg to upgrade you to a respirator instead.

It's mostly dust from tires. In between each stop I tend to spray and clean my cloth masks, and I rotate them if one gets nasty or I sneeze in it.

I did get a box of N95 a while back, and finally opened them when a Cox tech came to my house to check my modem, and he was surprised when I wouldn't let him in without a loving mask on. Dude made a fit about the mask not fitting until he realized I wasn't giving in because "it feels weird."

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 3, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My niece has her senior prom tonight. No one will have a mask on, of course.

Tomorrow night I'm supposed to go to a wake, but I think I will excuse myself out of it. I haven't eaten in a restaurant since this poo poo started, sitting down and eating with a ton of people from all over the city sounds about as smart as CHUD Olympics.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The wake I was supposed to go to today has been rescheduled for tomorrow. Because the ex-wife and daughter of said person are at a college admissions celebration, and they posted a live feed of the event, where there's probably close to a thousand people and maybe 1 or 2 masks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Amazed at stupid poo poo still. Was at work today and a lady came in with her 5/6 year old, who kept screaming nonstop, and she finally wrangled him over to stand by her. Kid sneezed multiple times, once in his hands, the rest all over, before taking hands and grabbing everything on the counter while his mom ignored him.

Motherfucker I just finished watching Contagion AGAIN.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Still loving amazes me that I went to pick up a prescription and no one at the pharmacy had a mask on.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My niece graduated high school yesterday. I did not attend the ceremony. But every single picture I saw in these crowds of probably close to 1,000 people, I did not see anyone with a mask on.

This past Saturday I was helping to host a convention for tropical fish, and there were only about 100 people that showed up, but I was the only person wearing a mask. It just boggles my mind that for so many people covid is over or they already had it and so they're not too concerned about getting it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I do deliveries all over the city, and I always wear a mask. I see maybe two people a day that do, everyone else, retail, construction, hospitals, doesn't have one. Bonus points for pharmacy deliveries with huge signs saying you need to wear a mask, and the technicians pull theirs on when they see me come inside.

I was on a military base recently, with the usual huge security checkpoints: open all the vehicle doors, even the glovebox; bomb sniffing dogs, check your ID and the security guys peek through all the poo poo in the back. Background checks in the main office as well. Mirrors on sticks behind shoved under every tire as security looks over everything. Dudes with pressed loving uniforms and shining boots and hats creased like so or they get screamed at.

And then the fucker has the audacity to look at me and say "You don't need to wear a mask, unless you go to the hospital, they might want you to there."

You motherfuckers live, work, breathe, whatever the goddamn military tells you, down to what socks you wear and porn you can watch, but a MASK is where you draw the line on rights.