Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.
Last night I made a dream come true.

There is a takeaway chinese place that makes the best steamed veg in town, they use zucchini, broccoli, cabbage, and carrots like everywhere else BUT what makes them special is that they use a thin cornstarch sauce imbued with chicken stock and at least 4 pieces of chopped garlic in each bite.

I made my own last night. Used a splash of veg stock bouillon, a few drops of korean bbq sauce, some water, lots and lots of dehydrated garlic, and a sprinkle of msg and black pepper. I then added freshly steamed veg and combined. Served on mashed potatoes made with with salt, chili oil, a wee pat of butter, and some parsley.

my lady was both stuffed and impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006

Tonight I had a lot of work to do and a hungry woman terrorizing everyone. I had recently bought some korma simmering sauce so inspired by a potential easy dinner, i started boiling some lentils. Added the sauce, some hot sauce, and some msg and let it cook. Started it and added a splash of agave and black pepper to balance it. Boiled sweet potato in the stew and once that finished, poured it on some garlic dill rice.

Once again, lady was satisfied and filled up.

oxyrosis fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 2, 2024

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Kinda been working on the specifics of this dish all day instead of working.

Buttery asparagus, mushroom, and celery with garlic and a hit of hot sauce atop buffalo wing seasoned mashed potatoes.

---
A bit over salted but given all I've eaten today was a cup of OATZ I think I'll be okay metabolically.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
My lady is sick but on the mend and decided to make dinner tonight.

""Tuscan"" tomato coconut soup with corn, carrot, and kale.

Its rare that a soup is flavorful enough for me to NOT hit it with hot sauce, however this soup was seasoned perfectly and so rich and tasty.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
We had a friend come over and cook us his best Japanese foods.

Pan fried gyoza
yellowtail collar
Tofu udon with shitake and red pepper

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006

Aishlinn posted:

seeing as its st. patricks day, i'm having the most irish of cuisine...chicken fried rice and bbq ribs from the local chinese place. making sketti later this week, very excited for that.

Me too! Caulifower Pie in 3 containers with 3 toppings,

Black pepper and salt
Tajin!
NOTHING

The garlic flavor is really coming through in this dish (dehydrated garlic is miraculous if used properly) IT should really keep The Draculas away tonight.

oxyrosis fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 18, 2024

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Homemade Chipotle bowls

I took some fresh cumin rice, ranch beans™ (jalapeno style), topped with grilled mushrooms onion and sweet chilé, homemade guacamole, diced tomato, and really spicy marinated cabbage with extra stripey jalapeno.

It's real spicy, but that's how we like it. If we're not banging our hands on the table and coughing violently, it's not spicy enough for us.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
My lady decided she wanted pozole and so we went to the store and bought 3 pasilla and 3 guajillo chiles and got to work on a soup base. She is learning to cook and so didn't think about how spicy the chile would be and used all 6 in her brother that made maybe 5 servings. It was fire. It was also really delicious, however the planned adult time we were so looking forward to was postponed until we are no longer covered in capsaicin.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Black pepper, and black salt tofu fried rice. Tastes like peppery eggs in fried rice. Highly recommended.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Was feeling chicken katsu curry like I can get at CoCo Ichiban but that's like far, and I don't even eat chicken.

So I used some curry base and mirin and cooked up some onions and potatoes (I also don't have carrots), out it on some rice and fried up some "chicken" broth marinated tofu, like fried chicken. I used mustard as the egg coating (its emulsified and holds the tofu and the flour well) and somehow I made vegan food? Is curry base vegan? I don't know.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Have you ever made a dinner where everything just went wrong? I overcooked the jalapenos, added too much oil, and if I wasn't careful I was going to burn the tofu as well.

I don't want to talk about the rice I messed up in the pressure cooker, okay?

Somehow, I saved it all though and really invented something nice. I wasn't proud of it so I didn't take any photographs but just imagine if you will:

--
Pan fried tofu with cauliflower and jalapeno, dry rubbed and seasoned with bits of garlic and mushroom powder. On top of rice. Lightly drizzled with Chinese chili oil.

oxyrosis fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 11, 2024

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Chinese ""lamb"" made from mushrooms (and bit of egg apparently?) with cauliflower, onion, ginger, and celery in seasoned vinegar and black pepper on rice. Topped with chili oil, sesame seeds, and green onion.

oxyrosis fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 16, 2024

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006

a sexual elk posted:

These are the regulars in most grocery stores in the LA area

Seek out Cacique. In fact, seek out the soyrizo variant as I find it to be a better texture and even flavor to pig guts. It's all over LA, usually in the more authentic mexican grocery stores.

oxyrosis fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 16, 2024

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006

Valko posted:

Just threw a chicken in the oven

Once, at a particularly terrible room for rent situation I was in, I decided to cook and eat a chicken straight from the oven with only a fork and knife on my cutting board. The horrified looks I got from them as each sickening crunch and slice went into my mouth were incredible. Can't say that they spoke with me much afterwards for quite a while, which given the roommates, was a great side effect of a fantastic dinner.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

I love marmite on toast but as an ingredient it really shines - a spoon in sauces, gravies or whatever goes a long way

Would you say that Vegemite or Marmite is better as an ingredient? I don't wanna buy 2 bottle of stuff I won't use rapidly.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Nevermind.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The chili dogs were good!

Chili dogs w/ yellow mustard is the best way to have them.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Went to our favorite Vietnamese place tonight, seafood pho and crispy noodles. Gotta get that thick rear end Vietnamese coffee too, cmon man!

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Tonight I made a thai chili and mirin based veg gravy that I tossed with a whole onion, some mushrooms, zucchini, and fresh a jalapeno. Bit of garlic too.

Then I put that on top of some cheesy (mac-n-cheese powder spice blend) mashed potatoes. Wouldn't change a thing, would add something fried or meaty(umami) if I had them.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Tonight the lady made plantain nachos with saute jackfruit, a spicy tangy avocado crema, pickled onions, refried beans, and Spanish rice. She's Mexican so if you call it Mexican rice she looks at you funny.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Garlic chili shrimp spaghetti

drat, I would really have liked to see a picture of that.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's safe to eat many things raw but that doesn't mean it's the best or tastiest way to have them, and tofu is like No1 on the list of 'poo poo that wildly improves' with different preparation methods

Oh absolutely 100% this.

Tofu is a sponge, not only for flavor but for texture. After you've mastered making the inside taste good, then you can start making the outside taste good too. The answer is probably frying it, though I've had great success adding it to soups in it's softer(silken) form.

Here's a great trick for changing the inside.
https://youtu.be/jCbjjwDXZ3c?si=CRsKP7tXaa2sFfnt

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

tamales and refried beans

I once went to a really bad vegan Mexican place that despite their best efforts to ruin my experience did teach me a really neat way to present tamales.

Paint the inside of a bowl with a spicy mole or thin bean sauce and then place the tamale inside. When you eat it, the strong flavor is distributed with each bite. This was necessary in their specific case because their tamales were 98% masa and essentially flavorless. I've since made it with spicy refried beans as a base and ghat drat, do I recommend it.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Tonight, to celebrate my lady and I seriously pursuing a pregnancy, we had 6.7abv hazy IPAs and because we didn't want to be pass out drunk; I made pressure cooker artichokes, mashed potatoes, and a "cheezy" cilantro avocado sauce made with miyokos pourable mozzarella and lime.

Absolutely incredible. Pressure cook your own artichokes, 15min steamed at pressure and you're done.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006

Chip S. Challenge posted:

the gf has been interested in the miyoko’s pourable mozz lately. can i get a quick recipe for the sauce?

½
Cilantro
Lime
Avocado
Salt
Pepper

½
Miyokos liquid mozz

Microwave on 2power, 7min, stop and stir 3x

I was very afraid it would coagulate but luck was on my side and it remained a goo.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006

Chip S. Challenge posted:

the gf has been interested in the miyoko’s pourable mozz lately. can i get a quick recipe for the sauce?

Or were you looking for a copycat miyokos recipe? Strangely enough when I woke up this showed up in my feed,

https://www.stephsunshine.com/vegan-life/vegan-liquid-pizza-mozzarella/

I haven't tested it, but it sure looks tasty.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Made "Chipotle©®™ bowls" tonight. I made a spicy chili oil rice, use some homemade refried bean leftovers, fried up onions mushrooms and peppers, topped it with avocado and green onion.

It was pretty spicy, so we gave it a little drizzle of that miyokos which cooled it off a bit.

The rice was cooked in this Ferrari, found it a second hand store for 25 bucks because of course we did. When you go as often as we do, you're going to find everything eventually.

Near as we can tell, whoever got rid of it was dissatisfied that it only spoke Chinese. Turns out it also speaks Korean and English but only after you find an obscure manual and figure out how to program it.

We were happy to use it in Chinese, honestly the Chinese voice sounds better than the English one. The Korean voice is a little bit too much anime school girl, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Tonight the Lady made some of her now famous, chayote squash soup topped with roasted broccoli and some toast soldiers.

Then, I decided to test out this pudding recipe, only I used banana pudding with a bit of vanilla/bourbon extract. I then added freshly processed peanut butter, and some (accidentally) salted butter cookie squares.

Ain't nobody ever said, "hell no I don't want no parfait".