Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

why is this movie so long. why is it so boring. why does it feel like everyone is stuck in the BLURRY ZONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I actually had to stop watching because I was falling asleep. Like an hour and 45 minutes in. Its sucha slog.

Land of the Dead is a better movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

It's such a bummer you can't see how unique and great a filmmaker Snyder is like I do, but it is what it is.

So can you tell me what was good about this movie because I'm stumped

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't care if someone likes a movie or not, but you talking about "Zack Snyder" genre is a hair away from all the other drive by hot takes I've seen. And it comes with many implications since a lot of culture critics have spent the better part of a decade calling him a fascist idiot that stumbles on ideas. When folks come in with boring takes like "pedestrian" action I can't help but wonder what they're watching, because most zombie media is shot like TV and or directly insprired by dawn of the dead. Just scroll through the dome thread if you need more examples.

Night of the Living Dead. Zombie. 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead Snyder's vereion even had some good cinematography.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

For me, on a technical level, I like the interesting stuff Snyder was doing with the camera work and lighting. Can understand if someone would be out off by the depth-of-field effect he was toying with, but it played to my personal aesthetic tastes really well; a lot of the scenes were very dreamy/fanstasy-esque. Pretty cool contrast to what your typical zombie blockbuster might look like.

Thought there was real solid character work and comedic beats spread across the entire cast. The film might not harbor the greatest ensemble, but I loved the archetypes present—especially Ward, and The Coyote.

Good action design imo, but that's a given with Snyder. Good soundtrack; loved the Wagner drops. Good production design and costuming. Thought the zombies looked great. Loved the genre mashups and all the callbacks to other films.

Dunno what else you want to hear. I thought the film was super enjoyable :)

Thats cool just want to hear some positive criticism. Dont agree with it but its nice to see

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

If I had my druthers I'd probably cut Guzman and Chambers out of the film entirely. I liked them but they [spoiler]just really don't affect anything and die so early in the film and disconnected from anyone else you kind of just forget about them.[/spoiler

I was hoping they were planning a double cross and the guy who quit earlier had made his way to the safe earlier. I was hoping for anything approaching the thrills of the traditional heist movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lemon posted:

One bit that stood out to me was the introduction of Tig Notaro's character. You get a fun scene with an immediately charismatic character and a bit of a twist on the "getting the team together" with the person they're trying to recruit needing no convincing whatsoever. And then they cap it with Bautista just flatly going, "She's still weird as ever." Yeah, we know she's weird, the movie just showed us for a straight minute.

Getting the team together is one of the high points for a heist movie and it really felt flat in its direction and dialogue.

Tanaka should have been a way more interesting character meeting Scott at the diner instead of an exposition machine. The wild card helicopter pilto, the smart yet severely violent physical therapist....the only character that had any sort of energy was the Youtube guy, and even he only just kind of looked at Scott's car from the distance before saying yes.

Lol Macgruber had a more energetic version of this

https://youtu.be/RsgJLVxNwPQ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That Snyner Snippet just seemed like he was just using a lot of words critics use without rhyme or reason.

Its ironic deconstructive AND serious?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It’s oceans eleven meets aliens (James cameron). Not dawn of the dead.

Theres no character in this movie as fun as Hudson or the black sergeant or as rootable as Ripley or Newt.

Hell they only gave the Vasquez character one good scene before acing her inexplicably.

And there's no cathartic third act action scenes like Ripley in the mech suit.

This.movie wishes it was Aliens.

I'm agreeing with this poster, absolutely poo poo tier script.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

McCloud posted:

Hot take: Movies should be exactly as long as they need to be, and putting arbitrary time limits on films is dumb as hell.

This is an excuse for bloated boring movies like Army. Every minute of a movie needs to be justified. Needs to be doing something. Needs to be about something.

E: btw do we know who were the military vets or the traumatized civilians on Scotts team?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 24, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

I thought Dieter and Van were both super fun and likeable. I was rooting for Scott, even though I ultimately knew what his fate would be :shobon:

Oh yeah Dieter. Yeah he was the best character in the thing.

Got tired of Van's poo poo real quick tho.

e: its not only having an interesting character, its putting them in memorable sequences. Can't think of one for either.

Ironically the character that had the most memorable sequence was Chambers. If they had given her more of a character it would have easily pushed this movie up a half a letter grade.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

For you maybe. I loved the Mexican American characters and their northern Mexican dialect. I’m also a big Bautista guy. Vanderhoe and Dieter slowly becoming friends to me was great too.

E: i think this movie just hits different for me because I am literally from the border and I was surprised just how much Zack had to say about the US/Mexico border situation with this movie (the wall, the camps, etc)

You can hate it but you’ll probably never understand my perspective I guess and that’s fine. I would go in with a more open minded perspective personally.

I did go in with an open minded perspective. I'm a fan of genre movies, and of zombie movies and especially heist movies. I thought Snyder's Justice League was fun and worth watching.

But I'm straight up disappointed the movie is as half baked as it is, that it did a slipshod job hitting the things that make heist movies or zombie movies great, and especially that the script was as lackluster as it was.

If people enjoy it tho fair enough.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Chambers is a hundred times better than Vasquez simply for the fact that she’s not a white woman in brown face who got the job because her white boss thought it was hilarious that she showed up to audition in brown face.

poo poo yiiiiiikes I did not know this holy.lawd

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just remembered what this movie's depth of scope reminded me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

josh04 posted:

1. rofl, never get tired of it

2. that's not depth of field, they've just slapped a gradient blur on the top and bottom to let you know it's a memory

Learn something new everyday.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the Owl movie...for kids...had nudity....?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well I'm all aflutter now

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This thread is for the birds.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

The narrative throughline of the film does not change because it includes UFOs, robot zombies, and time loop theory.

Prefer if it did personally.

e: again, I was hoping for some kind of third act twist. It's a heist movie! That's what it's supposed to do!

instead the characters called it in the first 40 minutes (which took way too long to get them to the action of the plot) and still went along with it?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

See what's great is that this is an internet forum so we can literally rewind time (as though we are in a time loop) and interrogate this. Here's the first 5 negative reviews of this movie in this thread, in their entirety. Lucky for you, your review is listed in the first 5:

While I believe these are all valid, I leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine if these are "well explained" or if they mostly involve people saying "you all are stupid/crazy, and this movie is boring"

Im a shitposter. Thats a shitpost. And I refuse to apologize for it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Why do we gotta attack ppl? Its just a movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

Could be but I haven't seen that

My gateway drug "bad movie that's actually great" was probably something way older, like Enemy Mine or Repo Man or something

I don't really remember that first high, that's why I'm still chasing it

Thats nothing.

Dirty Dancing Havana Nights binches

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol the alien is absolutely built on rape imagery. it has a penis mouth that bites people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

McCloud posted:

Not sure, maybe he got of well with Zack, maybe Zack felt he was too busy to do it himself

I have no idea why this is funny to me

https://mobile.twitter.com/Warrior9983/status/1457809670559645699