Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This film is so much fun and so insane. Massive downer ending, but you know that's what you're in for when you throw on a zombie movie I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The zombie horse was really cool

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i don’t think you guys are mentally deficient i just genuinely don’t get the appeal

on the movie and itself: i didn’t like it. none of the emotional weight of the film really resonated with me, and while i didn’t find the rest of the plot bad, it didn’t interest me much either. i strongly dislike the desaturated color look he did not just on this but other films too

the actors were mostly fine, none stood out as bad performances, but overall i think it’s just a very forgettable movie and i was pulled out of it several times by stuff that didn’t make intuitive sense which aggravated me on top of everything else (like the helicopter vs horse speed thing, yes). even if there’s an explanation for that on film several moments like that just took me out of it for a bit

I had no particular attachment to the characters either, but I think a lot of that was from going in knowing it's a zombie movie. It's a whole genre about how we're all hosed, so why like the characters and get emotionally attached? They're all hosed! So I found more appeal in waiting for the karmic deaths or seeing how the characters went out when their time came, and there were a few scenes of that in here that I was into. Like I enjoyed the safecracker dying to lock the door of the safe, that was sweet even if it ended up being pointless. "It was all pointless" was how Snyder's Dawn Of The Dead ended as well, but I guess the idea is that you don't know if it's pointless in advance so you gotta do what you can

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oh, it's not a ref. The New Vegas scene is a single shot, and the Army scene... isn't

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Dave Bautista's backstory suggested they've turned up outside Vegas as well. At a guess, before it was understood that bites spread the infection a bunch of people got out of Vegas after being bitten.

Shamblers: if THE alpha bites you, you become an alpha. If AN alpha bites you, you become a shambler.

The quarantine camps are at least partially a way for the government to deal with inconvenient people, probably there's a rationale of "we know it spreads by bites but how do we know it ONLY spreads by bites?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In addition, apparently the container in the opening sequence was labelled for shipping to Iran, so it's not that we were working on a potential bioweapon with alien help, but that we were done and already launching it off

This is great, even the inciting incident in the opening is karma in action. they used this unknown extremely dangerous substance/virus/technology as a bioweapon and it bit them in the rear end right away

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Alhazred posted:

What the gently caress was the song doing there anyways? It's a song about IRA bombings, not literal zombies.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Stealing a bioweapon is a much harder sell than stealing money, plus there's a lot more at risk if somebody talks before the mission. I say before, because obviously if he was honest with them he'd have to immediately kill them once the mission was done.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Money doesn't buy silence. What's to stop them trying to extort him later on, or getting caught doing something else and offering up information on shady stuff they've done to avoid prison? It's a crazy common trope in murder mysteries and conspiracy thrillers that anyone who knows about your plan is dangerous to you

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Violator posted:

That was a super good shot and I do wish there was more violence like that just for the brutal grotesque visual of it. Same with the concrete saw.

Yeah, I would have thought the whole movie taking place during the Trump admin, Spicer talking about the people in border encampments being untrustworthy, and the nuke going off on the 4th of July because it would be patriotic would have gotten more of a conversation. :| Although I guess it's a grim reminder of the past four years and people just aren't up for digging into it, which I understand.

It was very Trump to capitulate on doing it on the 4th of July but petulantly decide "fine we'll do it right now"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can you tell me which marvel movies are “edgier”

It shows superheroes, decades-old avatars of righteousness and justice, as wetwork operators in a billionaire's quasi-private military unit. That's pretty edgy. To this day superheroes fans refer to characters who aren't superheroes as "civilians"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'd cut some setup probably. Like, the coyote says the alphas take people to the Olympus and the daughter says "oh, so maybe the woman I came in here to rescue is in there" and they have an argument about whether to go there, and then we know exactly what's going to happen later on. Just mention that they take people there, a quick shot of the daughter her looking thoughtful, and you have the same amount of setup in less time. Or ideally just excise that subplot and maybe have the daughter herself kidnapped by alphas after the point in the movie when we know Zeus is trying to reproduce

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Justice League itself may not be out of place in the MCU, but then it's the lighter and softer sequel to two movies which very much would be. As late as Thor Ragnarok the Marvel movies were doing big displays of how Not Man Of Steel they were

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

NieR Occomata posted:

That’s on Snyder for deciding to give a mouthpiece for a fascist racist piece of poo poo a paycheck for appearing in his movie, not on the rando sa forums poster for calling it out as such.

And again it more speaks to how Snyder has no self-control or thinks through the real world implications of what he is doing in preference to doing something that looks cool or is some super sick awesome own. The process was certainly Snyder thinking that his incredibly powerful awesome political allegory would be even better and more clever if Sean Spicer was in it, ignoring he was making a dumb heist zombie movie and not Schindler’s loving List.

But again, let me be clear, this is part and parcel with the Snyder brand. He thinks that he and only he can make a movie this “clever” and “layered” when it’s actually infantile and plebeian nonsense at its most skin deep and pointless of criticisms that all adds up to being a load of nothing. Nothing that should’ve been excised by any script doctor worth their salt who could’ve given the entire pointless Camp analogy a once-over and gone “Zack all of this needs to be cut, it’s not given enough screen time for the political analogy to be meaningful and it just distracts from the central thrust of the movie”. Army continuously and repeatedly makes this fundamental storytelling failure in its two and a half hour runtime for no good reason, entirely because the director wrote the script and everyone involved in making this movie who held the purse strings was in lockstep about how Snyder is some brilliant genius whose every thought is pure gold.

I get the feeling Zack Snyder would be perfectly happy to be called plebeian. But then I don't know him as well as you seem to.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

All the streaming services' MO seems to be "make the interface annoying enough to use that people don't like using it, but not so annoying to use that they just cancel their subscription" to maximize the length of time subscribed:amount of stuff actually watched ratio. Apart from Amazon, which straight-up does not want you using the video service at all because if you're paying for Prime it's probably to save on delivery fees so they have your money anyway. I loving hate prime video so much

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

This is extremely flawed reasoning. You don't need culinary credentials to tell your steak's burnt, why is that somehow applicable here?

It's not, but if your steak is burnt and you begin to fantasise about the chef being told off by another, better chef then uhh. What are you doing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

Its a brand Omari got in a frat and has nothing to do with Snyder. Its just a coincidence.

It fits surprisingly well considering the ending. He's the last remaining member of the team (the daughter invited herself along at the last minute) AND the next Alpha, this time in a place that's going to be much harder to contain, he might be literally ushering in the end times

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If you hire a bunch of guys to steal a top-secret bioweapon for you, then what you now have is a bunch of guys who know you want a top-secret bioweapon. If they succeed then what you have is a bunch of guys who know you have a top-secret bioweapon. No bueno.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's a no-fly zone over Vegas, I don't know if whatever monitoring they do for that would detect a drone but it'd make sense if it could

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Coincidence or serendipity? It’s in the film, and fairly prominent. Snyder has always been very strong on casting as characterization

Agreed- they digitally inserted Tig Notaro into the whole movie, they could digitally scrub out a symbol if they wanted to

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

massive spider posted:

I was thinking that as end credits rolled, but it depends if he has a gun and bullets on his person, otherwise the ways to off yourself in an airplane bathroom are kind of limited, and it has to be brain destruction too. Hanging yourself or whatever just ensures your corpse will reanimate anyway.

I guess the moral thing to do would be to call ahead and say 'yo infected person landing on this plane quarantine it with napalm' but then that depends on however gets the call not also being interested in weaponising zombie DNA in which case it all starts again.

It's just not a normal human urge to commit suicide, either directly or by inducing someone else to shoot you in the head. How many real diseases are terminal 100% of the time? I can absolutely see somebody bitten by a zombie thinking "how do we know everyone who gets bit becomes a zombie? Maybe I'll be OK"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Shageletic posted:

the Owl movie...for kids...had nudity....?

Full frontal:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Let the record show that I was beaten to the joke because my computer crashed, not because I was slow off the mark

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It starts as a heist movie. When Martin takes the head, that reveals that the characters were just being tricked into thinking they were in a heist movie, and were actually in a conspiracy thriller the whole time. Or at least, the villains thought they were. Everyone is in denial about the kind of movie they're actually in, because it's one of the worst kinds of movie to be in. But by taking that head, Martin is messing with forces beyond his understanding: Zeus has been content to let a heist movie take place on his turf, but when he hears the queen's death cry and marches the army of the dead into battle, the movie's true overriding genre asserts itself.

That's why there's all these UFOs and timeloops in there, the movie is confused. "What loving genre am I?" The waveform eventually collapses, triggered by Martin's betrayal. It's got zombies in, so it's a zombie movie. And in zombie movies, everyone is hosed. The villain in a conspiracy thriller might escape to menace the heroes another day, but in a zombie movie the best the villain can hope for is to defiantly say "choke on 'em" to the zombies eating his intestines.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't know if you guys keep lolno-ing people's valid and well explained critiques, which have been frequently raised by numerous people, out of bad faith trolling or if you literally don't understand that you're constantly doing it every time anything about this director's projects come up, it's moved beyond frustrating and into the realm of anthropological fascination. Like it's literally the firmament of the thing that happens in every thread where the director comes up and then you feel slighted because everyone is accusing you of saying "if you didn't like Snyder's masterpiece it's because you weren't smart enough to understand the huge brain geniusness of it all and actually anything you think could be lacking in it is actually there and good or if it's not there it's also good and that's why it's good." But you're doing it. This is the thing, happening, currently.

ANYWAY fukken come on this is not a David Lynch project and it's silly imo to equate the carefully intentional and ubiquitous surreality of, say, Twin Peaks, with a pretty boring, average zombie movie with a couple throwaway lines/background gags that only seem to exist as a directorial shrug at best or, as mentioned above, an angle by which to snag repeat views for the algorithn. If it's the second it's smart, but it implies unfortunate things about future media if it catches on.
generally speaking I don't see terms like "masterpiece" or "genius" used to describe the guy's movies. Except maybe by like comic book fans on twitter, who are clearly grading on a curve

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

There's nearly a thought where when characters talk a thing the narrative Walter Mitty shows us their theoretical. Soldiers talk area 51? UFO. Boss talks heist? Montage. Van talks time loop? Time loop.

This totally falls apart because the robots are explicitly ignored by every character but they're shown.

the robots come after the rest making them a punchline or ironic reversal of that trend. Here's all the weird stuff people are imagining, here's the weird stuff actually happening that they ignore because by that time it's blunt life-or-death time

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It did! and it had aliens! and a zombie tiger! and a robot zombie! and zombie strippers!

In isolation it had a cool checklist of cool ideas for things that could be in a movie, but none of it mattered much.

There is a reason this is the specific movie where they could digitally edit out an actor and edit in another one: nothing in this movie mattered very much. You could take out any part and have the same movie.

movies have digitally replaced actors before. The Star Wars special edition did it in 1997 (Jabba the Hutt was originally a human) and the (I think) Bluray release of Phantom Menace replaced a puppet Yoda with a CG one

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like there is a lot of movies you can’t just slot new people in interchangeably!

Such as?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Let's take Star Wars. Remove Harrison Ford. Have Billy Connolly perform the part of Han Solo. Try to digitally insert him into the original scenes. Wait... it isn't possible?! The film is rejecting Billy Connolly!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The opening really focuses heavily on that dude's crotch as he's being chased by the cabaret zombies

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Right but in saying that you accidentally asserted that in most movies, every part could only have been played by the person who played it. You could presumably say Aliens is also a grab bag of disjointed elements, considering several entire subplots were smoothly cut from the movie for the theatrical release. And Hicks is played by two people!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Most armies don't have the goal of taking over the earth

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

In most zombie movies the zombies do successfully "take over" the world, in that they depopulate it, so RLM's question of "how does he think he's going to take over the world" is kind of... answered by genre convention?

That said, Romero's "everyone who dies becomes a zombie due to radiation from Venus" makes the zombie victory much easier than Snyder's "everyone who is bitten becomes a zombie due to a virus which is transmitted into the human bloodstream but which doesn't seem to be present in the zombie's bloodstream"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Zeus could have probably made a pile of dormant shamblers as high as the wall and climbed up it. Though there's presumably some kind of surveillance

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Simon Pegg said in an interview around when Shaun Of The Dead came out that he and the interviewer could still do the interview pretty comfortably if there was a zombie in the room with them, they'd just have to move around occasionally, and the real threat of zombies is there being a huge crowd of them and that's why he likes them.

Of course, with the Army (and ZS Dawn) zombies they spread by biting you, but in the OG movies there was some kind of phenomenon that brought everyone who died back as a zombie, which obviously makes them much more credible as a world-ending threat

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I rewatched Dawn right before watching Army and it holds up way better than I remember. The bit where they try to save Andy rules.

Its Chocolate posted:

uh I mean it's funny that some people were warming up to him and then this happened

Netflix's marketing for Army has him front and centre on a bunch of promo videos, so regardless of what people think of the movie I think it's likely more of them are now warming up to him. Likeable actors sell movies, so I suspect the same may be true of the director- people see the dude gushing about the cameras and being excited to show off his drawings, and they're more likely to say "well I don't like this zombie movie, but he seems like a nice guy... maybe his next thing will be good". That's certainly more likely than when the biggest source of information on him was a bunch of youtubers trying to convince people he was a fascist.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Huh, it just occurred to me that becoming a zombie means dying and being reborn in another form... no longer exactly human, immortal, with strange abilities...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You should have asked him how to spell his name

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If the genre conventions are nihilistic then wanting to make a movie in that genre suggests an inclination towards nihilism in itself. There's also Suckerpunch, whose downer ending as I recall is a studio-enforced happier alternative to what Snyder wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

How would you have "bumped into him" under those circumstances? Were you climbing into the bed of the pickup for some reason?