Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:siren:Reminder:siren:

I'm hosting a Dawn of the Dead/Army of the Dead double feature stream tonight in the CineD Discord:

Come experience Snyder's brand of zombie mayhem at 9PM central! For Army of the Dead, I will also be hosting a Scener room for those with Netflix. If you plan on joining the Discord stream, please remember to mute your mics :)

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1395771374388531200?s=19

Heh

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Goon stream was amazing. I loved everything about this movie; the look, the characters, the action design, the crazy rear end genre bending concepts lol. Snyder is a madman. Loved the cast, especially Dieter's screaming, but Bautista especially surprised me. Like drat, I mentioned this during the stream, but it's hard to imagine any other muscular leading man playing Scott like he did. Try and put The Rock in that role, lmao. This was by far and away the best action feature Netflix has produced imo.

Shageletic posted:

why is this movie so long. why is it so boring. why does it feel like everyone is stuck in the BLURRY ZONE

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Real good references to The Stand, loved it.

I loved all the Aliens references, lol. And all the Wagner music.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fart simpson posted:

you're right. i don;t want to watch any more movies in the "zack snyder" genre

It's such a bummer you can't see how unique and great a filmmaker Snyder is like I do, but it is what it is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fart simpson posted:

can't you just leave me to dislike the movie in peace

I feel like it's hard not to when you're citing Wikipedia for your arguments about tactical realism in a zombie movie, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The best action in the film was Chambers doin a John Wick on the zombies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

It’s just aggressively average , to quote a review of a videogame on this hellsite. If you want to see Bank Robbers vs Zombies then Tarantino and Rodriguez did it with infinitely more panache, style, fun and cool back in 1996

Excuse me, those were vampires.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

“Motherfucking Vampires!”

Lol. I knew someone was gonna say that. I mean if we’re going to be technical it looks like these are Aliens

Zombies do not explode when sunlight hits them :eng101:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shageletic posted:

So can you tell me what was good about this movie because I'm stumped

For me, on a technical level, I like the interesting stuff Snyder was doing with the camera work and lighting. Can understand if someone would be out off by the depth-of-field effect he was toying with, but it played to my personal aesthetic tastes really well; a lot of the scenes were very dreamy/fanstasy-esque. Pretty cool contrast to what your typical zombie blockbuster might look like.

Thought there was real solid character work and comedic beats spread across the entire cast. The film might not harbor the greatest ensemble, but I loved the archetypes present—especially Ward, and The Coyote.

Good action design imo, but that's a given with Snyder. Good soundtrack; loved the Wagner drops. Good production design and costuming. Thought the zombies looked great. Loved the genre mashups and all the callbacks to other films.

Dunno what else you want to hear. I thought the film was super enjoyable :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The idea of dumping The Rock (or Cena, lol) into the role of Scott is hilarious imo. It's easy to picture because of how infinitely worse the performance would be compared to what Bautista brought to the table. I'm saying this as someone who never cared about anything Bautista has done in the acting space. This is the movie that sold me on him.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

I genuinely don't see how, but not because he's bad in it so much as there's not really much to do with that character so it felt pretty perfunctory?

I felt Bautista had some good facial acting in the more intimate scenes; there's a fair bit of nuance injected that does a really great job selling emotions like grief, with range that I don't think a lot other wrestler-turned-actors could have done without making the performance feel unnatural.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Alhazred posted:

It's not really a funny or insightful joke? It comes across as Snyder just used the song because it had the word zombie in the chorus.

I disagree because there have been a couple examples explaining the headspace Snyder was in wrt choosing the song, even from Snyder himself. You can freely argue "death to the author" or whatever, but I'll 100% always disagree with the assessment that Snyder chose the song for no apparent reason/fell rear end-backwards into choosing it because he's too stupid to understand the context of the song—one good, genuine look at his body of work completely suggests the opposite.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shanty posted:

Snyder's critics are harsh, yes, but this may be a slight exaggeration.

:razz: you know what I meant!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I know that, I guess I just didn't get a good look at the bodies because I assumed they were just kind of nervously shooting the poo poo.

The movie straight up cuts to a shot of each character and back to a decomposing body wearing the same clothing lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

I've just also seen a bit of the reflex pop up here (and tbf it's mostly from posters who I shall not explicitly name, who I have muted prior to this because of their undeniable impulse to appear in thread and say everything the man makes is flawless and if there's something you didn't like it's because there's a problem with your ability to understand or enjoy intelligent, challenging work)

Lol. gently caress anyone who likes things that I don't.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I must ensure my way of engaging with media is superior to yours!

[Edit] as an aside, I was watching a bunch of NBA playoffs today and Netflix is marketing this film hard. Refreshing to see, compared to how ZSJL was marketed lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 24, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

All this from someone with a Nier/Yoko Taro avatar is pretty funny imo.

I was gonna say the same, lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Theres no character in this movie as fun as Hudson or the black sergeant or as rootable as Ripley or Newt.

I thought Dieter and Van were both super fun and likeable. I was rooting for Scott, even though I ultimately knew what his fate would be :shobon:

quote:

Hell they only gave the Vasquez character one good scene before acing her inexplicably.

Chambers is an homage to the character, not a replica.

quote:

And there's no cathartic third act action scenes like Ripley in the mech suit.

This is fair I guess. Would have owned if Bautista found an experimental armored exosuit and uses it to fight Zeus lol.

quote:

This.movie wishes it was Aliens.

I'm agreeing with this poster, absolutely poo poo tier script.

I don't think this movie wishes it was anything imo. It has so many genre-bending components that it clearly wants to do its own wacky thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Piell posted:

As soon as she started talking about how she loved him I knew she was about to die, it was extremely predictable

The manner of her death is what was shocking imo. Her death was absolutely telegraphed, but then it happens with a massive whiplash effect...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Marvel has feminist themes that are dumped on by its pro-military messaging. I guess that's pretty edgy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

I said it was compromised.

Then whey even bother to use them as legitimate examples in your argument? Just because those components exist doesn't immediately make the movie more interesting. If anything it makes the movie worse because they're compromised themes, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

At least Spicer is getting dunked on in his cameo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

NieR Occomata posted:

That’s on Snyder for deciding to give a mouthpiece for a fascist racist piece of poo poo a paycheck for appearing in his movie, not on the rando sa forums poster for calling it out as such.

And again it more speaks to how Snyder has no self-control or thinks through the real world implications of what he is doing in preference to doing something that looks cool or is some super sick awesome own. The process was certainly Snyder thinking that his incredibly powerful awesome political allegory would be even better and more clever if Sean Spicer was in it, ignoring he was making a dumb heist zombie movie and not Schindler’s loving List.

But again, let me be clear, this is part and parcel with the Snyder brand. He thinks that he and only he can make a movie this “clever” and “layered” when it’s actually infantile and plebeian nonsense at its most skin deep and pointless of criticisms that all adds up to being a load of nothing. Nothing that should’ve been excised by any script doctor worth their salt who could’ve given the entire pointless Camp analogy a once-over and gone “Zack all of this needs to be cut, it’s not given enough screen time for the political analogy to be meaningful and it just distracts from the central thrust of the movie”. Army continuously and repeatedly makes this fundamental storytelling failure in its two and a half hour runtime for no good reason, entirely because the director wrote the script and everyone involved in making this movie who held the purse strings was in lockstep about how Snyder is some brilliant genius whose every thought is pure gold.

These sure are some assumptions!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I think Snyder pitched AotD to WB but the execs were like we cant do anything with this script and shoveled it off to Netflix.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Is this part true?

Yeah hold up, I need confirmation if that happened.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The narrative throughline of the film does not change because it includes UFOs, robot zombies, and time loop theory.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Piell posted:

I just remembered that after the opening montage the circular saw is never used to kill a zombie again, my rating of this movie is revised to 0/10

After having served as a tool of death in the zombie wars, the saw descended into the depths of hell and entered the twilight of the gods where it then became a tool of salvation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ArfJason posted:

This. The idea of a zombie heist movie could have gone at least *some* places.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What's qq? I'm basically a boomer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ruddiger posted:

It went to the top of your playlist on opening week, sounds like mission accomplished.

Also took up residence in their head, rent free. That's two unique locations right there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't know if you guys keep lolno-ing people's valid and well explained critiques

ArfJason posted:

i lied i still think it looks like complete balls and audiovisual HIV. im not gonna watch it. farewell.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Alternate version where the plan went fine and they got to the helicopter: "Oh no we can't bring it all. gently caress it, bring as much as can fit."

Plot hole filled.

Killing Martin also makes more room.

[edit]

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

https://www.groovewallet.com/what-a-billion-dollars-looks-like/

It would be very hard to haul out 200 million from that safe (read: not possible)

I dunno, packing up two of these:

Seems doable?

[edit] Especially when you got beefcakes like Scott and Van :allears: [edit 2] and Chambers :allears:

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 27, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

The zombies seemed like they'd be able to figure out how to get past the border wall if they wanted to, but there really wasn't any indication that they wanted to.

Coyote even acknowledges this by saying Vegas isn't their prison.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Common sense also suggests the alphas are smart enough to know how to leave, but choose not to. So......

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

If they were trying to escape, Coyote would have been the character to say so. Even Jurassic Park has a line about the raptors nipping at the electric fences, testing for weaknesses. There's none of that in AoTD. Instead, we see Zeus look up at the Zeus statue by Olympus in reverence. He's home.

I mentioned it earlier, but yeah, Coyote straight up calls Vegas their Kingdom lol. Inferring that Zeus and his alphas want to leave their kingdom is just, I dunno, stupid? Not sure how else to describe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Growing your commune and wanting to leave it are two separate ideas. Vegas is big, and Zeus has a pretty solid deal there (unbeknownst to him he's about to get nuked because America).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nothing in the film suggests Zeus wants to preserve or is concerned with the wellbeing of shamblers. His priority seems to lie solely with his pack of alphas.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Judakel posted:

Shamblers are key to their survival as zombies thrive with numbers on their side.

The Olypmus alphas seemed to be doing just fine without shamblers :shrug: If anything, the lack of shamblers bumbling about enabled the alpha culture to thrive. No shamblers = no zombie wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Alien Dracula that operates a commune akin to a pack of wolves. They're a race of hunters.