Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
seconding the assassination of julius caesar, it’s a good historical demonstration of how readily the ruling classes will resort to political violence the moment their interests are threatened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he's also clearly to trying to preempt every possible objection from moron bourgeois economists in volume 2 instead of just telling them to suck eggs on the minor points

the best way i've had it explained to me is that capital was a purely academic work and its intended audience was also academics, which is why it's so impenetrable to the casual reader; it's literally a scientific document and it's formated as such (just with some bonus classic marx cattiness toward his fellow academics) much in the same way as say reading einstein's original work on general relativity. it was lenin and stalin on the other hand who put in the work to analyze and summarize marx for an audience of laypeople

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
marx had the heart of a true poster

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

crepeface posted:

stalin ftw

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Voice of Labor posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ones_Who_Walk_Away_from_Omelas

if you're asking whether the village benefits from the child being tortured, the child is a part of the village. it's a question on how your hedonistic calculus is performed

omelas is a story about how liberals cannot conceive of a perfect society without there having to be some kind of insidious hidden evil driving it, the narrator literally makes up the child torture on the spot to make a point about the readers' inability to believe in a utopia without a hidden cost and ends the story with a smug "now do you believe me?"

i'm so goddamn tired of people just taking the surface level reading of that story, star trek strange new worlds season 1 did this without irony and it was one of the worst episodes in that season

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Voice of Labor posted:

lol, prison labor has an almost 100% rate of exploitation. we can't even conceive of our shitbag dystopian society without an insidious evil driving it. what are you getting mad about?

you can talk about prison exploitation by talking about prison exploitation, you don't need to wildly misinterpret fiction to make a point that should already be obvious to most people in this thread

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Civilized Fishbot posted:

A story can raise multiple ideas, and ask multiple questions, that's why it's a story and not a statement. "What can and should be done by people who live in a society that demands others suffer" is definitely one of the questions asked by this story

the answer given is still a criticism of a cynical readership who can only imagine two possible responses to an unjust society: staying or leaving. the commentary of the story isn't about the moral dilemma of the suffering child, it's about a myopic audience that lacks imagination

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

BillsPhoenix posted:

Last reply as there's good discussions going on.

No poo poo a western educated economist would fail a Marxist economics course. You kept this back for a while, and it has a giant loving impact on all discourse. It's why you didn't get my references to western economic education. It's cool you got educated in marx and all, but that poo poo was really bad faith.

they trained you wrong, as a joke

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Epic High Five posted:

I've got a request for the brainiacs here.

What is a good, punchy, elevator-pitch style explanation of commodity fetishism. It's one of the concepts that is core to Marx's works that I...don't necessarily struggle with, I get it I feel like, but whereas with most other things I can summarize them pretty well for when I'm converting people to godless communism, commodity fetishism feels like it eludes me, at least in a way that still retains the core of the concept. "It's viewing the product of labor as though it appeared from thin air" and similar feel grossly inadequate, and it's a concept that I feel is one of the really big ones that gets overlooked, especially when the people you're trying to explain these things to are western consumers where commodity fetishism and the worship of money are the national religion. It and the length of the working day are the parts of Capital that I remember you could really see people's worldviews shifting when they came up years ago in my Capital reading group. A way to erase social relations in such a way that they can be replaced by strictly monetary measures?

edit - actually I definitely know all about this, I'm merely asking for the benefit of uhhh the lurkers.

https://twitter.com/b1g_damage/status/1300210161773092866

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

BillsPhoenix posted:

Anyhow, this has run its course, those comments aren't trolls. Sraffa has a whole book about it, Keen has a shorter paper, I obviously can't prove it out in a couple posts.

This only went on so long cause some people were abusing the poo poo out of the entropy explanation- which has been posited as a cause of decline in world profitability, not an analogy.

Learn and grow so you can fight the good fight or don't.

bro you invented anti-coats