Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
A tankie? well sure, I love Michael Dukakis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

she’s leaving office to start a podcast, incredible

everybody wants to be a media personality, you're seeing it more and more

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
yeah the guy on the tractor in the beginning getting yelled at by his neighbors and responding "what do you want me to do, not get paid like the rest of you? would we all be better off then?" is like the most succinct story of capitalism

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

yes i enjoyed it on my first readthrough but then you've got him casually calling some of the characters whores or whatever. i think the basic observation of what it means to be a prole vs. a manager, subjectively for the person themselves, is pretty good, but the more he talks about bosses as these transcendent weavers of wonders crucified on their own brilliance the more he wears out his welcome

tbh I think the most useful thing I took away from that article was the concept of being an economic "loser" and the ways people reconcile that arrangement

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

I'd like 1.1v worth of salary if I’m being perfectly honest

the conclusion the author draws is that upon realizing one is a "loser" ie producing more value for the company than they take home, they do one of three things:
1. Denial, basically take on the meritocratic explanation that this is because they are not working hard enough and if they just work harder they will eventually become a Winner. These are our Clueless middle level.
2. Accept that you are a loser and start minimizing your losses by doing the bare minimum per hours worked possible, our bottom level of Losers.
3. Realize that because you are already losing, you have nothing to lose by viciously climbing the corporate ladder past all the people who think they just need to work harder to get ahead. Top level Sociopaths.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the difference is that the Clueless people are working until 9 pm while the sociopaths are the one's emailing them from home at 9 pm asking if that thing is done yet

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Right, that's where his metaphor breaks down. Now if Ryan the intern were the nepo failson of Dunder Mifflin's owner, he might be onto something

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

:wtc:

That's just reheated fascist rhetoric about weak men in good times.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It's the opposite, the fascist "strong men create good times, good times create weak men" etc. rhetoric is recognizing the kernel of truth in history as a cycle but removes the material analysis and attributes the forward movement of that cycle to the existence of "strong" and "weak" men. It's the STRONG MEN that created GOOD TIMES, rather than the material conditions allowing those men to flourish.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

base: men
superstructure: times

i'm fiscally strong men, but socially weak times

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

for some reason this makes me think of cspam every time i read it

quote:

Unless you have investigated a problem, you will be deprived of the right to speak on it.

quote:

Unless you have investigated a problem, you will be deprived of the right to speak on it.

quote:

tattoo it on my forehead so i never forget

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

my dad posted:

Imbue Coat of Negative Use-Value [legendary] +2?

skipped ahead 20 pages and people are still talking about the Anti-Coat, gdi

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
by the way, it would be a pair of pants that absorb water. that's the antithesis of a coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zodium posted:

you shouldn't have skipped ahead

this has never once been true in the history of forums