Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gorman Thomas posted:

I ran into some Revcoms yesterday at a popular walking path in my city and was surprised to hear that Chairman Bob endorsed Biden in 2020 lmao. The person I was talking to was going through the normal anti-patriarchy, anti-empire spiel but then followed up with "and the republican fascists are trying to get rid of the democrats!!!" Like, I understand that they're trying to broaden the messaging to attract libs but come on lol.

I went to a bernie rally in chicago in february and there was a massive line to get in and it was being picketed (sort of) by a handful of 200 year old revcom grandmas and grandpas with big BERNIE IS BEB signs, freezing their asses off for hours and hours in the snow and wind. once I heard avakian endorsed biden I haven't been able to stop thinking of those guys. like what the gently caress lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Demon Semen posted:

Is Harvey’s companion to capital readable by itself? I haven’t read capital in decades and I was thinking about reading it again, but if Harvey’s book is essentially just capital updated in 21st language/context, then should I just read that alone?

I think it's readable stand-alone, definitely (and pretty good, too), but I wouldn't really call it an updated Capital -- he drills down on some stuff and skips over other stuff, and generally he makes pretty good choices, but you're still reading Harvey thinking about Marx rather than Marx thinking about capitalism. That said it's not like you won't get a much better understanding of capital out of it and if you like Harvey's writing I say go for it.

Also I say try Capital and just skip over the boring parts. Once you get that bolts of cloth can be turned into a jacket with labor you can just skim like fifty pages.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Reading theory? I'd rather be sucking on some juicy tits instead.

sure but books are the only one you're able to get your hands on

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Celot posted:

It’s no good on the whole. He says a lot of stuff that we agree with because we are leftists and it’s our intuition that owners don’t produce poo poo and communism would be good. But these are not scientific or falsifiable things.

The framework is also a bad way of viewing the world. If you take as a given that everything is class struggle / material conditions, you get absurd bullshit.

Like take ISIS for example. If Marx’s framework were valid, we would expect ISIS to be secular communists. But they’re not just motivated by class struggle, they actually are insane religious nuts.

The Marxist lens either results in absurdities or is so vague that it can explain anything and its negation.

da marx understander

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Celot posted:

Looks like you made up a post to respond to

Celot posted:

If Marx’s framework were valid, we would expect ISIS to be secular communists. But they’re not just motivated by class struggle, they actually are insane religious nuts.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

mila kunis posted:

yeah it does. the rise of isis corresponded directly with the collapse of state power and functional governance in large regions of iraq and syria. isis combined an on the ground movement with the military expertise of ex-baathist military officers and materiel and supply from friendly parties in turkey etc. + funding from oil sales.

you idiot, you fool, celot is talking about the superstructural considerations of culture and religion, something which marx was famously ignorant of and never wrote about

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Celot posted:

Yes. What I said was materially different from what they got out of it.

you're either too dumb to understand why that take falls out of your post or you mean something different but are too dumb to convey that with your choice of words

it's got to be one of the two because you're too dumb to have actually figured out (or even listened to) what marxism has to say about stuff like the propagation of violent religious ideation in a region that's been consistently ravaged by capital for generations.

thinking that class conflict is the singular motivator of individual action, much less thinking that's what marx thought, is totally fuckin insane lmao

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
engels even complains directly about dumbass kids totally failing to get his and marx's body of work in the exact same way celot is doing lmao

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1890/letters/90_09_21.htm

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Celot posted:

The problem is now that the theory can be applied to any hypothetical situation. It can explain too much. Like resorting to God to explain the diversity of life.

no, you only think this is possible because you don't understand what marxism (specifically dialectical materialism) is but are too stupid to recognize that you don't understand it and because of that think you "get" it (you do not)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Celot posted:

It’s a set of base assumptions. It’s an unfalsifiable lens for viewing the world.

marxism is an analysis (really, a set of analytical tools). you think it's bad because you've reduced it to libertarianism in your head (people are perfect atomic actors motivated by economic interests alone) and therefore think its bad.

its not a crime to not know something, but it's absolutely dumb as hell to have no idea what you're talking about when you wade your dumb rear end into the marxism thread to say "well actually it sucks. it cant explain isis!!!!"

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Celot posted:

No, it either can’t explain ISIS or it can explain every hypothetical.

what the gently caress does this mean lmao

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What's the deal with the spiral? What are they spiraling towards? Each other?

its like that junji ito comic where the longer the spiraling goes on that lady's face (the working class) gets more and more hosed up

(I think "spiral" as opposed to "circular" or whatever comes directly from Marx and I think it's ultimately due to a bad translation choice)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
if your so-called science can explain every instance of the tides going in and out it's useless and invalid!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Celot posted:

No you misunderstand me. If science could explain tides and not-tides given otherwise the same observations, then it would be useless.

I understand you perfectly you fuckin dingus lmao

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Celot posted:

Basically yeah.

Celot what kind of leftist would you say you are?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Marxism predicts capital will continue to exploit the working class and further immiserate its opponent class in the pursuit of profit, which as conditions deteriorate becomes harder and harder for them, leading to ever deeper exploitation.

If I wake up tomorrow and the billionaires are still at the commanding heights of power and the working poor are still being ground into a fine red paste I'm going to declare Marxism both true and sufficiently predictive. Sorry but that's just science.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES will we permit ANYONE to engage in the HORRIFIC SLANDER of mentioning the one thing the mod staff keep getting caught out on and defend constantly

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
direct action gets the goods

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Mieville is still cool and a fun writer even if he's a trot, who care.
I've had October sitting on my shelf forever and I need to get around to reading it. Hard to start when I know that there's no hot bugs w/ tittys in that one.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
fuckin god dammit

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

John Charity Spring posted:

Thomas Piketty saying "Marx had no data" is the clearest indication that he'd never even tried to read Capital lol

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the only reason that CPUSA was any flavor of threat was because the Soviet Union existed

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dreddout posted:

Well yeah, the only reason the CPUSA existed in the first place is because of people jumping ship from the spusa post Russian rev

You might as well be making the same argument about literally any 20th century communist party, including the successful ones. Ie: china.

Outside backing doesn't change the fact that the local national party itself was the vector through which the working class was organized. Americans joined the CPUSA because of the CPUSAs preeminence in the labor movement, not because of the USSR.

It's not just "outside backing", its that the USSR was a direct competitor on an international level to the US and an actually-existing alternative to capitalism which provided a material threat to capital and the machinery of US governance and an actually viable alternative organizers could point at. I guess I don't get what there is to learn from the CPUSA in order to scare the bourgeoise into doing something that doesn't have "make the Soviet Union exist again" as step 1.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
yeah, maybe the average Chinese worker’s standard of living improving as the American’s declines will be enough in the not-too-distant future. It’d require a more aggressive Chinese stance to America though, I think, but that might be inevitable anyway.

I do think some people actually took notice when wuhan was safe enough to have pool raves during the worst of the American COVID epidemic. it’s a start, at least.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

What is the utility in once again pressuring the bourgeois to buy off the working class?

oh to be clear I don't think anything at all -- even if the historical tactics of the CPUSA could provide some insight as to how to get another New Deal we should actively ignore it because as bad as things are and will be, lulling the working class into another era of complacency will gently caress us beyond even the tiniest slivers of hope.
That said I don't think it's even possible to make a new New Deal in the current era.

Ardennes posted:

I would say that China being a genuine competitor to the US is enough to change how the world works. Even if you don't think China has a better system, competition on its own forces its own shift.

I agree, but I'm talking specifically in terms of fomenting a US communist party, or bloc, or organization strategy or whatever. I think there needs to be some sort of change on how the average American worker thinks of China, even if it is totally passive on China's part. I don't think it's enough to know that somewhere else someone lives differently if different doesn't also mean better.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
it’s not really a take bud that’s baked in to Marx’s analysis

that or mutual destruction of the contending classes

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

animist posted:

idk, assuming that we can enumerate all the different phases of human society ahead of time has always seemed a little naive to me. capitalism can certainly change form, and who knows what other weird poo poo could show up.

then again i have no idea what those other phases could be. i just think there's a whole lotta degrees of freedom to reality, yk?

in addition to Algund's good post we can't enumerate anything beyond communism as capital subjects. the dialectical process never stops but we have no idea, and can barely guess, what the tensions in communism will be and what will resolve them. To us communism is the final stage of history because it resolves class conflict as the driver of human history, but to communists communism would only be the first stage of human history after a horrific and barbaric infancy.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
picking up and putting down the boxes at the warehouse 1000 times each, supercharging their value by channeling my labor energy into them like a spirit bomb and making everyone at the distribution center a millionaire

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'd venture to guess any communist society worthy of the label would involve parents keeping the joys and rewards of parenthood, the experience of shepherding another person into adulthood, spending quality time with the people you love, etc, while communizing or eliminating entirely the lovely hard parts

basically this, only more and for everyone:

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

you are thinking too much about it. we are already largely a community-raised society in a lot of ways. we already send our kids off to school, trusting they are getting educated. we trust that the pediatrician has their best interests in mind. we have supermarkets, laundromats, restaurants/cafeterias, all these things have already freed up many of the domestic duties. now imagine that this freedom is not exploited to maximize profits.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
America’s current generation aircraft cost 1.5tn to develop and >300m a pop to actually build and it doesn’t even fuckin work lmao

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

the lib discourse surrounding the vaccine is like the perfect representation of exactly why people hate the democrats and exactly how they're failing to get and hold anyone that makes less than 100k/yr in a major metro but they keep intentionally ignoring all of it so they can Be Mad because they have the exact same libidinal drive to get mad at their posting enemies as the most red faced trump guy

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
that large parts (most, iirc) of the non white population that don't have and won't get the vaccine refuse is because they can't believe it's actually no-strings-attached free should tell you pretty much everything you need to know about how totally loving disconnected democrat "persuasion" is from the material conditions of the most under-served and under-protected people in the country

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Raine posted:

what is this thread's take on firearms

i know people get really mad when people attach all sorts of goofy tactilol poo poo to their guns but actually i think it can look pretty neat sometimes. like a sci fi kinda thing. that's my take thank's op

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Toupee Groupie posted:

Have I just fallen into a "bad" group?

Yes.

I want to second Enjoy's excellent post. You're fine, relax. Communism doesn't depend on you, specifically, risking your and your family's safety. Take care of your people, build inroads with your community, keep your ear to the ground and help out where you can. Seems like you're doing all of this already.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

R. Guyovich posted:

I'm ripped as hell dude. Two years of arm curls only.

thats whats up

wb

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

sorry but the gear thing is dumb as hell this isn't civ

it should be an extremely intricate drawing of a 3 axis milling machine like mozambique with the ak

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
why in the world would you want to join CPUSA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
CPUSA endorsed Biden. Whatever project the feds had going on there is a fully realized success.