Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh look from wikipedia

so its the amount you could get without having to pay extra

The multiplier doesnt tell much if we dont know the original price, and how it compares with salaries of the time. But it seems like a good way to fight food shortage during famine at least. It wouldnt be lucrative to buy more than you eat and sell it in the black market, if the price gap between the rationed and extra amount is high enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Food rations bad. Anyway, wheres my monthly Trump Box at?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well it didn’t compare well because the polish people’s republic had 2 years of martial law from the discontent over the mismatch between wages and food prices

Not that simple, there were also nazi insurgents etc. It was a classic J-curve, things had been improving at steady pace for so long, then things took a small step back and people lost their marbles.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

This isn't really a marxist theory question, but I don't know where else to ask so. What do people think about "all power to the soviets"? As in, the worker-soldier-peasant councils? As a result of the Civil War their self-organizing nature kind of got hollowed out and the USSR went on to lean more heavily into a top-down state beauracracy under the vanguard party.

Was that a good idea? Wouldn't it have been ideal to go back to real soviet power after the defeat of the Whites? Or would that have made the state too unstable?

After the defeat of the whites, came the loving nazies. After defeat of the nazies, came United States of America and cold war. Before Cold War could have been won, reactionary elements had already grabbed the power.
I think Stalin just died at the worst possible moment, and had he lived longer and had he himself carried on decentralizing the power to soviets e.g. councils, then yeah it may have been better

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I think there was a period in the 20s-early 30s where it could have easily been done. I am asking whether that would have been a good idea or not, and whether that's a good form of government in general or not.

Its not good when there are external threats, but its good for peace and prosperity times