Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
edit: nevermind, posting in the China thread

386-SX 25Mhz VGA has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

fair enough. original question:

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a short read anywhere that crisply summarizes where Marxist ideas fit (if anywhere) in Chinese state's planning and actions? I realize that this must be a very naive question.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

mods and admins gently caress off

….

Liberalism: A Counter-History (Domenico Losurdo) - Excellent historical analysis of liberal thought from a Marxist perspective, showing its essence, strengths, and limitations.
I just want to call this out and say thanks, this book probably gave me a better understanding of recent Western history than the sum of everything else I’ve encountered in my life.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

idgi

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

that is the infamous liberal, John C Calhoun
oh yeah ok makes sense!

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

to derive the socially optimal evolution of policy conditions, first construct the current-valued Hamiltonian entirely from horseshit and apply variational optimization to demonstrate that universal exploding slave collars are the only answer

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

hubris.height posted:

this thread is probably one of the best threads I've read over the past 2 decades and it's a crime it isn't rated 5, for whatever that's worth. lots of work being done itt
same. and thanks, this post reminded me to vote

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Is there a version of Capital rewritten into modern English style prose for dummies like me who have to re-read every sentence five times to parse what he’s saying?

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

PopZeus posted:

this is coming out later this year but I have no idea if it’s any good or worthwhile

https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691190075/capital
thank you!

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

on the topic of commodity fetish, somebody a month or so back explained it like how when you order a burger at a restaurant, it’s as if the burger is a little god that commands a cook to spend time out of their life to prepare the ingredients and cook the burger, commands the waitstaff to spend their energies moving the burger to you, etc. The burger is the agent that acts on the world, and human society around it is just an assembly of components that have been created to serve the burger. I don’t know how complete of an explanation that is, but it’s really good and I can’t stop thinking about it

386-SX 25Mhz VGA has issued a correction as of 07:19 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

dead gay comedy forums posted:

yeah, it's a great way to think about it

Marx grabs the term from the emerging field of anthropology, which comes from a Portuguese synonym of sorcery ("feitiço") then translated to French ("fétiche") to describe objects that, although made by regular people, have magical powers much beyond their appearance. The statuettes and carvings seen in certain Western African or Congo Basin nations of the time became the ubiquitous reference for that category. Psychoanalysis would use it later in a way that (funnily enough) is very similar to Marx's intention, but the contemporary popular understanding of "fetishism" became something else that complicates things

that makes a lot of sense!