Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mila kunis posted:

there's a thread in gip where a bunch of troops are asking for a leftist organization to join but it needs to be without pesky communists or people who oppose American foreign policy it's pretty funny

Among troops that seem to be amendable like half of them are just trying to not feel bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

FirstnameLastname posted:

different parts of the military are gonna have diff revolutionary potential
like the kiel mutiny and freikorps were both from the same generation of german military ppl

I think in both Wiemar and Nazi Germany it was troops and officers from Navy and funny enough the police that seemed to be the most sympathetic to the leftists, while the Army and Air Force was a bastion of reaction, the US has a very different dynamic where the military is far less ideologically committed than the police and intelligence services are the most reliable reactionary forces.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Brain Candy posted:

us airforce brass is famously filled with young earth christians. which ime means they worship capital triumphant and venerate the us as It's instrument, and are very much not fertile ground

I was just speaking about the military as a whole, but yeah within the branches the Air Force or Marines would probably be on average the least fertile grounds. But on average, the military is by miles the only significant locus of power I can think of where a significant number of troops and junior officers have any prayer of switching sides in the US.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

i say swears online posted:

i never even considered officers, they are straight out of the question in any branch but air force in particular

Yeah at best you’re going to get like Robert Evans types of radlibs among even the most “leftist” officers. Literally every exception I can think of in American history since the 1880s who was an ex military officer either got kicked out deliberately or only came around after they had been out of the military for some time.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Brain Candy posted:

the problem with lumpen though is they are in it for the money and you don't have it

I don’t know if Lumpen would apply most enlisted any more than the average American, (which well…) at least my understanding of what Lumpen means would apply to more like the cops that need the privileges and fat salaries. It’s just that enlisted troops are still almost as isolated and hopeless of real change as another group of young working class Americans.

My sense is that the military has about the same degree of class conciseness as the general public in terms of actual commitment or indoctrination which isn’t great but is a unique weakness of the American system because I don’t think that has ever been the case except with conscript armies.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

an officer will inititiate revolution based on personal grievances or at the end of a bayonet, that's about it

chapo likes to be coy about an officers' coup which yes may actually be the most direct path to an anti-imperialist government but they definitely mean captains and majors instead of colonels

I think they’re saying it would be a liberal, not leftist coup essentially trying to keep the system alive by forcing through necessary reforms, which I think they’re “jokingly” hoping for as it is just unfortunately the only remotely possible outcome that doesn’t involve massive bloodshed or acceleration into fascism and then even more massive bloodshead. Kinda like Portugal.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah this, 100%. There is absolutely no way you're going to go in and do any good yourself, the machine will change you instead. Best to let them decide for themselves if that's what they want to do. They'd have a better idea where to start anyway.

As someone who joined as an actual idealistic liberal, quickly realized something was very wrong with my worldview, and left as a communist I agree strongly that this is a fools errand relative to all the things you could do with a fraction that amount of time and energy. It is too large and disperse and institution and the personnel management system deliberately exists to prevent cliques of any kind forming in the military, it would require a very large vanguard organization planting enough people at snco or officer positions to by luck get critical mass of enough people assigned to enough important roles in the same area for infiltration to work without that somehow being discovered because that is very loving illegal in the US.

I met a lot of individuals, even a couple special forces type guys who were borderline leftists or fellow travelers but everyone who was at that stage was on their way out and not exactly in line for any important positions. And no where near a critical mass much less high ranking people. All junior enlisted and ncos.

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 07:36 on Feb 27, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That’s actually really interesting. The privatization of the support troops of the military would from the perspective of capital neutralize the threat that the military poses to them as the one locus of power in the US that is still somewhat independent. It would be best for them to have an elite military with no support personnel though I think if they attempted to accelerate that process more quickly the military would still be able to push back for a long time because even the generals mostly understand what privatization actually means.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

i think this is loving insane. generals are going to get theirs and that's the way it has been. do you have a feifdom to offer them? if not, don't theorize.

i thnk this dynamic means very serious trouble for very normal people

I’m saying right now enough of them believe in the institution and know that a privatized military is a threat to their power and the power of the institution being able to function. And I think a dramatic attempt to change the relationship of the military to further subordinate them to the direct rule of capital too quickly would result in the people with the guns saying “no” and enough people in charge understand that.

It’s not particularly good or hopeful of a situation but I think it’s interesting and somewhat unique compared to most empires.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Former Everything posted:

Once you are in the military, assuming that you are enlisted, you are suddenly exposed to a rigid class hierarchy in which you are the bottom. Your food is noticeably worse than the class above. Your lodging is noticeably worse. Your pay is noticeably worse. You must give constant obeisance to your betters in the form of salutes and greetings. You are to do your betters bidding without question. You are taught from the very beginning that, while you are a part of a proud military legacy, you are the unquestioning cannon fodder for the military strategy of your betters. But the true difference is that you are exposed to your betters, your ruling class, on a day to day basis.

For me this was literally what opened my eyes to the failures and contradictions of the liberal project.

Flournival Dixon posted:

I think about this sometimes too, I feel like whatever work it did for like racial solidarity it never feels like Vietnam did much for revolutionary potential in the states. As pissed off as everyone was at the embarrassing televised catastrophe of it all, nobody ever did anything meaningful about it, they just went full on into worthless hippy/anarchist poo poo.

I guess it's around the time when the government went all in on murdering the Marxist-Leninist vanguard that was the Black Panthers so it's hardly surprising that everyone just fell back on the American default of anarchism but it's depressing to think about how blatantly the entire history of the United States is nothing but a condemnation of the ineffectual nature of all of anarchism's basic tenants yet it's still the only widespread mode of anti-capitalist thought in the nation.

There was a coordinated media blackout on most of the actions of the BLA and other militant groups that makes the historical record and time period seem much more stable than it actually was. I think the 70's was much closer to a real revolutionary moment than it's portrayed as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

BillsPhoenix posted:

Anyhow, this has run its course, those comments aren't trolls. Sraffa has a whole book about it, Keen has a shorter paper, I obviously can't prove it out in a couple posts.

This only went on so long cause some people were abusing the poo poo out of the entropy explanation- which has been posited as a cause of decline in world profitability, not an analogy.

Learn and grow so you can fight the good fight or don't.

Tell me more about Douglas Adams