Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

whats this threads thoughts on Michael Heinrich .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

this thread needs UN peacekeeping forces deployed to it, STAT

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

the discussion a few pages back about the origins of ISIS reminded me of something i was reading about recently, which is how Hamas has gained mass support through becoming entwined with social services (i.e. improving material conditions). book was Sara Roy's "Hamas and Civil Society in Gaza":

"Many in the United States and Israel believe that Hamas is nothing but a terrorist organization, and that its social sector serves merely to recruit new supporters for its violent agenda. Based on Sara Roy's extensive fieldwork in the Gaza Strip and West Bank during the critical period of the Oslo peace process, Hamas and Civil Society in Gaza shows how the social service activities sponsored by the Islamist group emphasized not political violence but rather community development and civic restoration. Roy demonstrates how Islamic social institutions in Gaza and the West Bank advocated a moderate approach to change that valued order and stability, not disorder and instability; were less dogmatically Islamic than is often assumed; and served people who had a range of political outlooks and no history of acting collectively in support of radical Islam. These institutions attempted to create civic communities, not religious congregations."

pretty much a direct counterexample to the idea islamism is created by Crazy Arabs. for hamas the process of creating/becoming civil society reacted on it (dialectically) and moderated it in turn. thus "Hamas’s fundamental impulse is political and nationalist, not religious, which has accounted for its pragmatism and flexibility"

it seems like this process didnt happen so much for ISIS, would be interesting to look at why not... perhaps because it was at open & offensive war for most of its existence + because it defined itself not in opposition to a Jewish colonial state but other predominantly-Islamic anti-colonial states... dont really know.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Israel & Palestine need study John Lennon Imagine

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Moon Shrimp posted:

The tendency of the rate of profit to fall affects specific products/services when specific (common) conditions exist, not the system as a whole at all times like a law. Things can function just fine without such destruction.

The general rate of profit tends to equalise, as capital moves to sectors with greater rates of profit. So the falling of "natural" profit rates based on increasing organic composition in one industry causes a small fall in the general rate of profit.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

mcclay posted:

the Revolutionary Intercommunal Black Panther Party and ( I may be getting this name wrong I usually just deal with the acronym) Maoist-Communist Party. the organizing committee of which helps coordinate lots of For The People groups across the country. I have lots of friends in various FTPs and they do a fuckload of good work

I think that the MCP-OC actually dissolved because, as I understand it, they thought it was premature to try to organise a national party before the FTP chapters did a lot of local mass work.

https://peoples-voice.org/2021/01/02/public-resolutions-from-the-second-conference-of-the-maoist-communist-party-organizing-committee/

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

exmarx posted:

does anyone know the name of that wallace shawn essay about seeing the world through a dialectical materialist lens for a week? the guy who played the t. rex in toy story i mean.

an excerpt from his play, The Fever. I just read it in full and it's very good.

Wallace Shawn posted:

The life I live is irredeemably corrupt. It has no justification. I keep thinking that there's this justification that I've written down somewhere, on some little piece of paper, but that it's sitting in the drawer of some desk in some room in some place I used to live. But in fact I'll never find that little piece of paper, because there isn't one, it doesn't exist.

There's no piece of paper that justifies what the beggar has and what I have. Standing naked beside the beggar—there's no difference between her and me except a difference in luck. I don't actually deserve to have a thousand times more than the beggar has. I don't deserve to have two crusts of bread more.

And then, this too: My friends and I were never well meaning and kind. The sadists were not compassionate scholars, trying to do their best for humanity. The burning of fields, the burning of children, were not misguided attempts to do good. Cowards who sit in lecture halls or the halls of state denouncing the crimes of revolutionaries are not as admirable as the farmers and nuns who ran so swiftly into the wind, who ran silently into death. The ones I killed were not the worst people in all those places; in fact, they were the best.

e-dt has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Jul 9, 2021

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Lasting Damage posted:

Meant to share this a couple weeks ago. Guy came in to my shop and asked if we wanted to sell his game on consignment, and we said yes. No idea if its any good.

https://ncdn0.daysofwonder.com/gangoffour/en/img/gf_rules.pdf here's the rules for anyone who wants them. looks like its basically Big 2 with some communist paint on it

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Lady Militant posted:

my new gimmick is loving and kissing all the lovely ugly soviet leaders everyone hates.

support andropov then

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

even in trotsky's fantasy world where people like him and listen to him the most they say is 'maybe, i'll think about it'

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

late but wb r guyovich

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

1stGear posted:

so how hard did the cia kill this dude

This time it was actually the French secret service.

... and also the CIA.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

didn't this happen quite a while ago? they had like st vincent and the grenadines in it too, so officially the Queen is one of those friends

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/protestantwind/status/1413284936719679492

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

whenever I see railing against trots it just reminds me of old gently caress British guys who call everyone on the left trots and get insanely pissed at them because at one point in the eighties Militant had some brief success in entryism in Labour

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/bidetmarxman/status/1547237104593145856

dedollarization is going to make for some interesting times shame about all the fascists though

🔜

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

lots of attempts at building international solidarity are

LEFTISTS LIVING IN THE GLOBAL SOUTH: please help us in any way you can. seriously any way whatsoever would be a giant help.

UNIFORMLY WHITE AMERICAN "LEFTISTS": the amerikkkan kkkolonizer is unable to participate in actual solidarity due to the demon seed of yakub that festers inside of him

GLOBAL SOUTHERNERS: ok but could you maybe send us a few bucks? just whatever you can spare. or like petition your government about this one specific policy

AMERICANS: it is impossible

I mean there's a pretty prominent example of third worldists doing exactly that, the Blekingegade gang believed revolution was impossible in Denmark so did robberies and sent the money to the PLO.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

I've dabbled a bit in psychoanalysis (Freud's introductory lectures, etc), does anyone here have any recommendations (while we're on the subject) for books about a Marxist-psychoanalytic synthesis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

A belated Merry Christmas to the Marxism thread
https://twitter.com/protestantwind/status/1413284936719679492